The Wanna Blista Social Club.

Comments

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

Nexus - fantastic time - what position did you finish?

hope all the other Sizzlers went well

my time-trial was a success - brought my PB down by 30 secs to 21:51 so v.pleased image

• morticiamorticia ✭✭✭

Good grief Slug- What happened to you?!!!! I am definitely not running with you anymore! Fortunately I am working this weekend because I am not into sprint paced hilly long runs imageimage

NI- I still can't get my head around near enough 5 minute miling. Well done!  Need another lie-down.....

• EVeryone but me seemd to have a good sizzle. 19.32 was 20 sec slower, then to ruin my pot hunting some old bloke from yorkshire came and ran 17 mins. Not that I am bothered, prize this week, a pair of shorts, the flappy sort, which are no good for a leg chaffer like myself.
  • Wow - some great times at Sizzler last night.

I wimped out as I cycled 200miles at weekend, went to track on Tues and legs were completely shot and didn't want the embrarrasment of being beaten by AM.

J8 - am tempted by fish (even though I am a vegetarian). Is it a cold water or tropical tank? How big is tank? Why is your brother getting rid?

• distinctly average performance by me at Sale last night.

Based on 7 5k's this year the average time is 16:54 and last night I ran 16:54

I haven't done any tough courses and I haven't PB'b either

Well done all who raced, particularly DB 1st v35 and JS 2nd Lady

I would have been 3rd V40 (no prizes for that) but they had Ben Fish down as a V40

http://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2011/salsiz2.pdf

Alfa- A bloater, I dont think so. You look like a rake!

NI- just realised I can't make your birthday as I am in Devon.

can't do M6's bash either (or the MW18) as I am supposed to be away the too.

typical!

DTS- thinking of doing Holme Moss again sunday as a training effort. Weather looks like it should be interesting!
  • JMC - It's a tropical tank, a aqua 1 tank 2ft wide.

His son got it and is now fed up with it,doesn't bother looking after it, so my brother's been left to sort it out, cleaning, feeding etc.

If you want it give us a call and you can collect it.

See some of you at Rose Hill in the morning

• Good to see a strong turnout last night.  Pleased with my effort also - more than I expected given my training has gone to pot recently.  Tried to keep close to Big Phil, who in turn was trying to keep close to PPP.  Worked for first mile, but then slowed down, but managed to get in front and hold on.  Going to knuckle down and target the last Sizzler now.

You would have thought I'd have worked it out by now, but is the best strategy to run a fast first mile and hold on, or to try and even pace a 5k?  I seem to get my best times using the holding on strategy.  Last night was about 5:15, 5:30 and 5:45, but I'm sure that a more even paced run must be easier and ultimately lead to a better time.

Might give WP a run out tomorrow. NI, which one you thinking of doing?

• Daz - 7th place. the exact same time last year got me 3rd place - meh!

AM - Personally I think going out fast and hanging on works better in 5ks than even pace but if you go out too fast it all goes wrong. I went out a little slower last night than I did at the first one but got a faster time in the end and it was still a positive split. Doing a few 5ks in succession to experiment with pacing is a good idea. I'll be doing WP tomorrow. I hope you're not thinking of doing a different  one just to avoid me?

• Well sizzled last night everyone image.

I may do a park run tomorrow - not decided yet.

J8 - If I don't do the park run what time and distance is it from Rose Hill ? 

• I'm meeting GBM there at 8 o'clock, I think DB and JS will be there too.

Looking at doing 14 mile on the MWW, but I'm going to stretch it to 20 because there's a chance I might get called out on Sunday morning.

• J8 - so many james bond theme jokes about the  fish.

AM - this time I went for a see how far before I struggle approach, start near the front, went well for 3k, stuck with Kerry and passed Sally, but then I slowed Sally passed me, they finished 1915 I think which was close to last time. Two weeks ago I started at the back, easy round the track annoying MTBB with words of encouragement, and just kept on reeling folk in until coming back to the track when one passed me. Faster and more enjoyable. so will continue to annoy MTBB

Looks like a pennine bridleway run for me this Sunday if anyone wants to join me.

• No NI, I am not trying to avoid you - I don't care who I beat and will be at WP.  If you want to go for a course record I could start 400 m in front of you to give you a target to aim for, and me movation to keep a good pace.  You should be aiming to catch me somwhere between the exit from Vernon Park and the track on the second lap.  I could then run an extra 400 at the end to get a 5k time myself. 

Re pacing, I think that to slow by 30 seconds is evidence of going out too fast, however I don't think I lost any places and probably gained some, so it is not just me with that problem.

TST, that policy certainly makes for a more comfortable race.  The last k was a real struggle and had Big Phil not been breathing down my neck I would have slowed even more. 

• Jonah8--I'm doing 20 miles too so we could do more on the MW if everyone else is in agreement.

• GBM - How about doing 16 on the mww then, I will run there and back then.

I have got to get back early because I'm marshalling at the Mellor Fell race

• Jonah--Sounds good! I will start at High Lane tunnel and get to Rose Hill for 8am. x
  • Missed a pb by a couple of seconds last night. I blame this on TST starting near the front and not annoying me for the first 1/4 mile. 6.54, 6.45 & 6.41 splits.

I got boxed in on the track at the start and had a poor first half mile. With no TST to 'encourage' me I was happy to leave it until we left the track to start overtaking. Please make sure you are available for the next one TST. My pb depends on it.

• TST - we're around Sunday so may well join you.
  • Tomorrow mornings run on the MW now starts at 7.45 at Rose Hill.
  • I've not spoken to JS yet, but will be shortly - is it 7.45 or 8 at Rose Hill then ? I don't want to miss you all !
  • Jonah/GBM - JS and I will definitely be there for 7.45. See you then.
  • Think I should av checked this thread after 7pm as I turned up at 8am.

Was going to do a bike ride and swim, but the weather put me off

However, can't understand how I didn't see anyone as I didn't hang around and thought I'd probably catch you up at the 7mile point at the bridge? So I carried on to 8 miles, still no sign.

It was the wettest I've been on the MWW, bloody awful 16 miles running by yourself.

So were did eveyone go?

• SARQ - I woke up late and went to Bramhall Park.

Soaked to skin and ran a course PW (20:37) . First time I've run the latest route though and  still managed to scrape into top 20. The Scottish ladies lacrosse team were also there - bizarre !

• SARQ- Sorry I missed you, not seen you for a while. We set of a little late so I can't understand how you missed us.

We averaged 7.30's

GBM hope you are feeling better, see you later.

Marshalled the Mellor fell race before, marshall points 1 and 12 , counted 29 runners at point 1 then ran to point 12 , counted 12 runners then nothing, I waited and waited, in the pouring rain, must of been a good hour, then a couple of blokes who had ran the race informed me everyone was backimage

So 17 runners took a short cut

• J8 - I remember a mellor race that Andy howie did that had a lot of imaginative route choices. Must be Mellor.

MTBB - not sure I can be bothered if they will not give me a prize every time

Minnie - going from ours in a car. Park somewhere up north and run home. See you later?

• J8 - In this weather, who can blame them? image

Just managed to get a cheeky 10 miler in between torrential downpours. Heard it battering on the windows at 8 o clock this morning and thought of you all image

20 miles tomorrow although I suspect the MWW is now back to being a riverbed again ..

Well done to everyone at Wythenshawe on Thursday. Would've liked to have had a crack at one but they're always on the nights when I'm working image

• TST - not sure about tomorrow about as M6 is full of cold (man flu!) - may just see how he feels in the morning and take it from there.
  • DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    lovely couple of hours out around Lyme Park this afternoon
    usual fantastic views from Dale Top, watching a few showers moving around out over the Cheshire plain
    was getting a bit warm in the sunshine, so quite pleased when one of the showers visited briefly
    felt very strong on the hills, looking forward to Snowdon next Saturday image
  • 1 mile downhill 7.09. I am clearly rubbish downhill. too many excuses too list here

ears still ringing from last night

• KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    J8 - I helped out at Mellor. Andy told me to go to the bottom of the road and make sure the runners turn right. I couldnt see any turn where anyone might go wrong and the next thing I knew the runners were coming up the path. I was then put at the road junction to point them into the finishing field. Its a good job I was there as most of the runners wanted to turn into the cricket pitch. Mike told me one or two had come back along the route they went out on.

Good night last night, despite just wanting to go to bed beforehand.
  • ++++++++++self indulgent race report alert++++++++

did the Holme Moss Fell Race today.

Only fell race I have done, did it last year, only I'd forgotten how absolutely brutal it is!

after a couple of LSR's over the last two weeks, I thought it might be more fun.

over 17 miles and 4k of ascent.

Thought I fancied doing a hard training effort and this certainly fitted the bill!

Finished 21 seconds slower that last year 3:06:18, in 14th, which given the poor conditions today (slight understatement) and the that last year I was coming of the BGR training, I was very happy with, it was awful, slippery and wet, my shoes were rubbish on any wet rock and I remembered very quickly that I am utterly rubbish at descending. I was loosing so much time on the descents to the guys around me, I just couldn't believe it, It was well embarrassing actually.

think my 5ks really helped digging in going up, but on the flat there ware few opportunities to let rip if you are a wimp like me, it was just too scary!

there is a half mile road section at the end and it was such a releif to get back on familiar ground and I even felt good at the end, releived it was all over and despite a couple of scrapes and a few blisters (that I never usually get) in one piece, joy!

exhilarating stuff.

http://www.racemaps.org.uk/holmemossfellrace.htm