Options

Water on long runs

You go for a 2 hour long training run, but if you follow the advice you need to carry a Gigillion litres of water.

One choice is to run a long lap and drop the water off, but then the run is boring.

Does anyone use the water pack things, and are they any good? Or are there any other ideas?

Philip R

Comments

• Options
    I use a water belt this holds the bottle at an angle which makes it easy to take out whilst running. I find it great and if I need to top up I take a couple of quid and pop it under the bottle and by my lucozade etc. on route or fill up in pubs etc. I would do a long run without it and if you spend 15-20 quid you'll get one that doesn't move about too.
  • Options
    I've got one of those angled belts too. It holds two bottles but unfortunately if there is any liquid in them only one of the bottles stays in. I wouldn't run long or hot without fluids though, and where I live there isn't really anywhere to stop for liquid. So I ran my 17 miler on Saturday with 2 bottles - one in the belt and one in my hand (it stays in the belt fine once it is empty).

I have to say that the angle does make it easy to get the bottle out, I just wish it wouldn't do it spontaneously!
  • Options
    I've got the same problem so interested to read reviews of this kit - I stop off half way and buy a bottle of Powerade - I find running with a bottle in my hand is difficult so I stuff it down the back of my shorts. Even though they're Lycra the bottle still moves around and I found that unless the top is back on very firmly then I get a wet bottom.

SY3
  • Options
    I use a camel-pak, it holds 2.5 litres & I find it no hassle to use although some find them uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Twin bottle carrier for me,don't have the problem with the escaping bottles though. What make is that one? Mine is from "View From" with a little pocket for my energy gels too.
  • Options
    My twin bottle carrier is by Nathan - I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    Camelbak rogue for me - unbeatable!
  • Options
    I have a Nathan single bottle water belt, it holds the bottle really well (the one that came with it anyway) and theres a pocket for keys and stuff. Like the double ones the bottle is angled so you can get it out easily. I would recommend it and lots of other runners I know use them too.
  • Options
    Best way to carry it?

Not in the bladder.

I thank you.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I find a 1/2 pint RunAID water bottle ok for a 90 minute run as long as I can refill it from a tap somewhere at least once. Much easier to hold than a cycling type waterbottle or something the size of a powerade/volvic/evian 50cl bottle due to the reduced diameter.

Impossible to clean though so you need to sterilise once in a while with baby bottle type stuff.

Mark
  • Options
    Mine's a Ron Hill belt with a vertical bottle holder. It's fine for training, and even for marathon's 'cos there's pockets for a mobile/keys/money/power bars etc. !
    For runs of + 2hrs I carefully place a bottle somewhere on my route (well-hidden !)
    and pick it up on the way. Anything under 2 hrs you should only need 1 x 500ml bottle of fluid provided you've drunk plenty of water/isotonic drink beforehand.
  • Options
    Once upon a time I had a Lowe Alpine twin bottle carrier that took two 1 litre bottles: however that added up to 2kg and the carrier found its way into the bushes to be picked up again on the way back! I've since used Platypus bottles in a bum bag and that works well... there's none of the sloshing sound effects either. They come with a variety of tops including, I think, a Camelback type tube.
  • Options
    I've also got the Nathan 2 bottle angled belt. Use it with one bottle energy drink, and one water. Good ergonomics, but bottles leak when full so it looks and feels like you're peeing yourself. Not really worth the money as it's pricey for the basic construction. Who's got time to stake out the route with water caches?
  • Options
    I just do a sort of 'figure of eight' and stache a bottle in the fork of a tree on the way out. No problem. Couldn't be doing carrying all that extra weight, although I s'pose you'd feel lighter on race day.
  • Options
    Sounds like a reasonable compromise!2 bottles are heavy on a long run and the belt causes pressure on your stomach making you want to hurl by the eleventh mile!
  • Options
    I find any one of the following works, depending on mood, weather, where I'm running etc ..

£1 coin in my shoe to buy a bottle of water... drinking from the tap in public toilets (or the toilets in a pub or supermarket - I just walk in and use sixth sense to find the loo) ... RunAid bottle (you don't notice you're carrying them after the first mile).

But I currently live in rural Iceland so just drink from mountain streams when I'm thirsty (falling in is an occupational hazard on this one though).
  • Options
    depends on how much u sweat I pour with sweat when running and have to take 2 hand bottles and a waist bottle on any run over 1hr 45min my mates always know when we are in for a long run by the water bowser attached to me
  • Options
    For those shorter runs i take a mid-sized Runaid bottle, for thelonger runs i take a half litre in a Polar bottle belt, for the really long runs, i aim to pass a 'water station' in the form of campsite/garage/shop where i can fill up.
  • Options
    I use a Nathan twin bottle holder (angled holders) - works well- no leaks. Like Voyager, I use one bottle for a Carbo drink and the other for water ... really great on those long runs. Even better when you clip a radio on the belt too !
  • Options
    I use a Jansport double bottle holder with pocket for gels, keys, etc., for runs over 10km, or for really long runs (marathon training) sometimes a Camelbak. I don't fill them with water though, always take either Gatorade, Accelerade, or Endurox R4.
  • Options
    I can go about 1.5 hours on a small runaid (is that what they're called?) bottle. Anything longer, I use my single bottle Nathan belt. Also useful for a marathon as it held all my gels and a disposable camera.