Options

Running/training with music

2»

Comments

• Options
    Why do you think listening to music improves your running?

- Do you think there is a link between speed of music/BPM and running speed? Does faster BPM mean you'll run faster? How do you think this 'works' for you?

I think there is a link, I usually run to high BPM dance type music and I guess similar to the effects some music is said to have on driving styles I think harder / higher BPM music may make us more euphoric / aggressive etc and that may transfer to increased speed?

- Downloads/podcasts - where do you get yours from? Which are the best? What do you like? Is there a cost involved?

Dowloads from Limewire, some CD’s etc, listen to poscasts from Irontalk but not usually when actually running

- What kind of music works best for you?

Nothing specific, depends on my mood at the time, sometimes I like dance music, pop, 50’s (Dean Martin)

- Would you like to know what music the pros train to (if they do). Who?

Yes would be interesting to hear, maybe Tim Don, Emma Snowsill
  • Options
    Nic - listen to all sorts. Ironman Talk is one of my favourite sports ones, also listen to Zen and the Art of Triathlon. To answer the original questions.

Why do you think listening to music improves your running?

It gets me pumped up - I've always loved music and it helps get me fired up. I've also found it can drown out the sound of breathing so I don't worry if I'm breathing hard.

Do you think there is a link between speed of music/BPM and running speed? Does faster BPM mean you'll run faster?

From a personal point of view the song will influence my speed more than the actual BPM, although generally a faster BPM will make me go faster up to a point - too fast and I can't keep up.

- Downloads/podcasts - where do you get yours from? Which are the best? What do you like? Is there a cost involved?

Get all mine via Itunes as I have an Ipod nano. See above for my podcast recommendations. Non tri related ones I listen too are 'In over my head', 'The Scott Mills Daily' and 'Fighting Talk (from Five Live)'. The tri ones - I like the fact I can pick up tips and, in the case of Ironman Talk, have a bloody good laugh at the same time. The others are for comedy value to help keep me sane. All podcasts I listen to are free to download from Itunes.

Rock, Alternative, Heavy Metal, Old Skool Dance, Euphoric Trance - I can provide some playlists if you like. I also occasionally flip the ipod to shuffle play just to see what I get. Worked a treat on my run on Thursday.

- Would you like to know what music the pros train to (if they do). Who?

Yes from a purely curious point of view.

I should point out I only ever use my ipod whilst training in the gym, when I'm running solo and when I'm off road biking solo. I never listen to music when on my road bike.
  • Options
    Thanks guys & gals :-)
  • Options
    Hi Nic,

Good study - glad to add my info

- Why do you think listening to music improves your running?

Gives me a focus / distraction for longer runs and for faster tempo stuff it pumps me up. Interestingly after a few hours though (I run ultra's too) the proximity of the music to my ears becomes incredibly claustrophobic and I have to have a good long break before I can start again.

- Do you think there is a link between speed of music/BPM and running speed? Does faster BPM mean you'll run faster? How do you think this 'works' for you?

No - I listen to a lot of reggae (amongst other things) when I run even when I'm running 6 min miles for shorter events. I don't need the beat to hit when my feet srike. If I'm into the songs it'll drive me at any tempo - my playlists never follow a bpm or anything. It's more the feel of the music and what it means to me than the tempo.

I collect vinyl and CD's so 90% is owned already. The other stuff is downloaded by P2P at no cost (bad man)

Lots of reggae, nostalgic music from yesteryear, new rocky stuff . Interestingly, having listened to, DJ'ed and produced a lot of "dance" music in my life .. I can't stand runnning to it and find it very boring.

- Would you like to know what music the pros train to (if they do).

Er .. not that bothered. Its kind of interesting, but being an opinionated muso type.. it would never impact on what I listened to. (I did like hearing that Gebrselassie broke the 2k record while listening to The Scatman though Heh!)

Hope that helps :-)
  • Options
    I think there's some research that suggests music while exercising has a pain-reducing effect, but I can't find it. However, there are some relevant articles listed at http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/musicexercise.html - have you come across these? I'm sure there's a paper somewhere that found that the helpfulness of music during a workout had more to do with how much you like it than bpm or other aspects of content.

I certainly run faster with music, and find it harder when the battery packs in mid-workout. There's only one track on my MP3 player that corresponds with my running cadence: most are a little faster. If I'm struggling, I try and focus on the musical content - individual components such as a bass riff or drum track - to take my mind off the effort. A build-up within the music (eg snare rolls in dance music leading towards a climax), even though the tempo remains constant, seems to help my endurance. It also seems to correspond to any 'runner's high' - perhaps the endorphin effects of music and exercise are similar.

My preferences are Ibiza-type compilations and several Bloc Party tracks, all ripped from CDs, but selecting only my favourites. If I'm not keen on a track, or get bored with it, running seems to get harder.

Definitely an area worthy of more research, particularly if it stops gyms playing stuff I hate at volumes that drown out my MP3 player.

• Options
    Listening to music DOES NOT improve my running. I do all my running outdoors mind so haven't experienced the tedium of a treadmill.
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I have much more to contribute to this. I listen to music both running and cycling (only off road) and I find that if I don't I only end up singing anyway.

The BPM thing is interesting too as I definately have favourite paced tracks.

I'd be interested to read your piece when it is done.
  • Options
    It'll be in 220 Triathlon. ;-)
  • Options
    Thank goodness! Been looking for a thread like this for ages. I love running to music, but it has to be just the right tempo. Find I speed up enormously with the right track, but constantly on the look out for recommended tracks / downloads. Any suggestions?

Don't want to embarrass myself by telling about my favourite tracks for fear I get some flack about my taste in music, but promise not to do so to anyone else if you'll just give me some hints.......????
  • Options
    there's just been a whole 4 part series about this in that quality publication, Rowing (&Regatta). some amazing gadgets in the pipeline, including things that will change music automatically depending on what your heart rate's doing.
  • Options
    That would surely be really irritating?
  • Options
    well i think so. but then, most things related to rowing are.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Claire, have you looked at the free mixes available, here http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html and , here..http://blog.jiwok.com/en/index.php/2007/02/12/summary-of-our-free-mp3-workout-session/ ? I run to music most of the time. If you send me a mail, I'll reveal my own, naff, taste...* Err...We're talking pop/disco/Latin *