Given up smoking

Comments

• Certainly. This is why it is vitally important not to be dogmatic about what works and what doesn't, and why I am strongly opposed to commercial peddlers who do just that. Whether or not you understand the logic in NRT I personally know lots of people who've had great and lasting success with it.

Keep it up.
  • I had my last ciggie during the notting hill carnival last year. I'd already decided i was doing the FLM (and had a charity place), and so had good reason to try and kick the habit...

Literally, 10 minutes after crossing the finish line, mission accomplished, i had the BIGGEST craving for one of those menthol (oh, yes) mayfair ciggies that i'd been sooo addicted to.

A couple of weeks before, for work, we'd been trying out a new health and wellbeing course to offer clients. They talked about 'recycling' - where you give up something, or start to do something, and then have re-start, or re-give it up again.

As long as you're aware of this recycling phase, you can go cold turkey (as i did).

On the finish line, knowing that i realised I was 'recycling' and so dismissed it, and just had a big bar of choccie instead!

Getting past the recyling stage is the best thing you can do - once you're past that, you'll be off them forever!

Good luck - you're life (and bank balance) will better with out it. ANYTHING is possible!

:-)
  • cheers SOG and you. Though we come from opposing camps, we both hate the damn things. Both way involve peddling really-and I am always uncomfortable with that.

I have known people who have with them and many without them too. Perhaps it is horses for courses and the best way is for people to weigh up the evidence and make their own mind up.

take care
  • I quit cold turkey by telling myself I was a non-smoker. Whenever anyone offered me a cig I'd tell them I was a non-smoker, as opposed to someone who'd just quit.

Changing the way I thought about myself helped a lot as I didn't feel like I was going through a process, I felt I'd just made a decision and stuck with it. Having an 8 year old son helped a lot as well.

I also decided to stop eating and drinking the things that made me agitated, caffeinated drinks, chocolate, fatty/Sugary foods etc. This had the added benefits of allowing me to notice how well my newly acquired senses of smell and taste were working and helped me stave off the weight gain.

It also helped me break away from the things I associated with smoking, coffee, chocolate, beer etc. And I gave up booze for a while ‘cause that was DEFINITELY when I felt the weakest. Of course I’m back on it all now bar the cigs! I hope that you do well and wish you all the best.
  • I smoked from a very young age and for about 25 years... and really wanted to stop but just "couldn't do it", I kept stopping and starting..but these are the things that have finally helped me..

I've used paul mckenna's guide to stopping smoking... and looked at allen's carr guide. Both helped me, now stopped for 4 months. I put paul mckenna cd that went with the book on my ipod and drifted off to sleep to it and it was useful, but I had reached the point where everything about smoking got on my nerves so badly, self-help books etc just made it a bit easier, they helped to break the psychological bind, as I was so used to growing up with cigarettes couldn't imagine life without them.I tried nicotine patches before, but I just used to smoke anyway, but it's a personal thing.

After 3 days you do start to crave cigarettes far less, so you are doing well. I'd really avoid having the odd one at around the 3 week mark or a later date. Once at 3 weeks I thought I'd broken it and had one with a beer, and it drew me back in.

After 5 days, I stopped looking grey, and within a month I stopped wheezing as much when exercising. Everything starts to feel better within weeks really, food, running...and I felt less depressed.

And keep thinking, smoking is being banned later in the year throughout England, you've done it now and you won't even notice when others are trying to give up as they can't smoke.

Good luck to everyone who has just stopped.
  • I forgot to mention in my plug for paul mckenna and allen carr's anti-smoking bibles... I also found them slightly irritating and patronising.
    But I think the repetition of stopping smoking not being *that* hard did help.
    Made me realise not impossible, that you can do it.
  • I have been given many testimonials for a woman called Dawn Salter who apparently works wonders: www.stopsmokingworcester.co.uk

She uses hypnotherapy & EFT for all sorts of applications, including improving sporting performance.

Helpful if you live close to Worcester, if you don't then not much help!
  • If you're really craving a cigarette down the pub say, then have one, but, and this is really crucial to giving up, for the first puff, don't take it in, just hold it in your mouth for 5 secs then blow it straight out without taking it in. relish the 'taste' in your mouth, I guarantee you won't want to carry on.

I've stopped now for about 10 years and have just gotten over my first cold in about 3 years. Everything after giving up smoking is so much better. Good luck.
  • remember N.O.P.E. -Not One Puff Ever

I found Carr and McKenna patronising too.
  • mind I had the greatest success with Car:O)
  • Here is an interesting link on The Subject of NRT and others for anybody who is interested:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksCAids.html
  • oohh.. I didn't know about that N.O.P.E (not one puff ever )acronym. Good one to remember when someone is blowing smoke all over me down the pub.
    thank you :)
  • For feck's sake Hoose, give it a rest. You have already acknowledged that people quit successfully with NRT, and now you're back on your stupid bandwagon again.

Give it a rest.
  • no SOG -just another link to help people decide. Not promoting a method just showing a recent study. Not affter a dispute, really. Nowt stopping you putting a link up -it all helps people dunnit?
  • I'm not going to pay much attention to non-peer reviewed so-called studies, Hoose, and that's what the vast majority of your link points to.

• some people find this a good way of keeping motivated. Don't worry our SOG -its just a tool:O)

http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/download.htm
  • SOG

lets agree that there is a lot of dispute around method and both try to share our vast resources for peops on here eh?
  • My, you have been busy while i've been at work ;-)

You will never know how grateful I am for all posts. Other than first cig in the morning, the first when i get home from work was always the biggest threat to my new and fragile non-smoking state. Logging on and working my way through the posts has distracted me just long enough to think i might get through this part intact.

I'm still firmly in the no-nicotine-replacement camp - but realise it's horses for courses and if patches help just one person to get off the evil weed then they're bloomin brilliant.

Congrats to the rest of you that have fought your way through this one - by what ever means.
  • kkep strong spooky. Take no notice of me and SOG -we do argue on this a lot and I reckon both sitting on our hands-LOL.
    remember NOPE -Not-One-Puff-Ever and you'll do it.

enjoy your freedom:O)
  • No, Hoose. What you are trying to do is portray NRT etc. etc. as bad, not just promote Carr or whoever. Just stop it. It is very counter-productive.

Consider someone who has just started a quit using patches and who sees your post. Not exactly conducive to their success, is it?
  • OK SOG-I would never like to sabotage anyones attempt to stop whatever method. My link was aimed at those who do not know which way to turn but fair enough you do have a point.
  • "One argument used by those who oppose NRT is that, since all the nicotine has left your body after 48 hours, the addiction is over. Frankly this is total tripe"

both guilty a tad eh?
  • Got to laugh hoose/ sog - not only do the tobacco companies trap us into believing we *enjoy* smoking, but then the quit-smoking-lobby brainwash us until we'll support our (or their?) chosen method of quitting with pistols at dawn.

Have to say i'm feeling a million dollars. All kinds of benefits from 4 days ciggy free that I wasn't expecting. Sprang out of bed this morning bright eyed despite little sleep, my skin is looking great already, and even walking to the bus-stop was noticeably easier (which i wasn't expecting since i can plod round a half m so wouldn't exactly consider myself unfit).

Don't feel very free yet, but know that will come.
  • And will you 2 quit bickering - makes me want to take up smoking again!
  • Not guilty at all Hoose. It is a defence of NRT, not an attack on other methods.
  • LOl -asbo spooky - that maybe a problem in itself.

Glad you are feeling good and that monster will die.

never forget why you wanted to quit in the first place and what a nightmare the whole addiction is.
  • don't you bloody dare spooky!!;O)
  • ;-)

S'ok. Not after all the effort you lot have put in. Plus i really do want to get to 9min miles (well i want to get to 8 - but i'll tackle 9 first).
  • lol -do 7 first and see how it goes-:O)
  • lol - think that would involve a lot of being sick - and prob an ambulance