Options

Builders

Therapeutic rant needed!

Grrrr.... bl**dy builders. Last time we had builders in a couple of years ago I swore never again, they were due to start in April, finally turned up in August, and the "six weeks" of work stretched into months, largely because they turned up no more than twice a week if we were lucky.

Somehow Mr S managed to convince me to go through it all one more time. I suppose its like childbirth, once the pain goes away nature makes you forget just how bad it was.

This latest lot were due to start this morning, so me and hubby had to spend most of last night shifting barrow loads of chopped up hardcore that used to be a concrete base for the old extension round to the front of the house, dumping it in a pile as the skip we hired filled up long ago, which means we have to shift it all over again once the skip gets emptied. Still, we didn't have much option as the builders were due to arrive this morning and needed the site clear. We finally stopped and had it all moved at God knows what time last night, had something to eat, crashed out on the sofa we were so exhausted, then woke up around 1am aching all over from using muscles I didn't know I had, and sleeping in an awkward position. Staggered off to bed, set the alarm early as they were due to turn up at the crack of dawn. I got tea and bacon butties ready to go as soon as they arrived and sat there expectantly.

You know what happened, or rather didn't happen next without me saying a word, don't you? The excuse was so unbelieveable they must think we're complete idiots. Supposedly now it's tomorrow morning, but they can swivel if they think they're getting breakfast!

I'm probably over-reacting due to exhaustion, previous bad experiences and the fact that we've had to move heaven and (an awful lot of) earth to get ready for when they had their "window" and could fit the job in, but we're now living in the Somme and I have a horrible, horrible feeling of deja vu.

Are they all like this?

Comments

• Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    We had 32 points on the snagging list for a new flat we're renting. The guy is due to move in on Friday and there's still a zillion things for the builders to do. Have they turned up? Have they ****!

Hope you get it done quickly with minimum disruption.
  • Options
    Deepest sympathy KKD

Let me guess:

"The van broke down"

Someone's wife/daughter/grannie met with some terrible calamity?

"We said next week, love."

"We turned up but nobody answered the door. We waited outside for ages but nobody seemed to be in, and now we've started another job so you'll have to wait six weeks." (They only have two time frames - tomorrow and six weeks)

Somewon let them down and they can't get some vital bit of equipment, so they've had to start another job....
  • Options
    Or even "someone". Tired, emotional and dyslexic!
  • Options
    Yep, pretty much goes with the job description I think.

A bit like driving a white delivery van...before you get the job, you must have to prove that you're an aggressive enough tw*t, can somehow negotiate a roundabout whilst taking into a mobile phone with one hand and eating a roll-and-sausage with the other (steering with your knees presumably), and also have whatever deep dark section of your brain is responsible for the use of indicators, removed. Your reactions times must be incredibly good (given how you can drive 8 inches from the rear bumper of the car in front), and you must exceed the speed limit by a minimum of 20mph, whatever the road conditions.
  • Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    "Site agent hasn't authorised the work". Oh so it takes a site agents say so before the front door lock can bemade to work??

The only plus point is my OH knows building & site regulations like the back of his hand and can quote them chapter and verse. (He does also have a life though :-)) They tend to get moving when they're dealing with a big burly man rather than a 'love, hen or pet'. !!

Just mention a few NHBC regs to them and see if they get moving.

My friend had a conservatory built and told the workmen they'd get a bonus for being finished in time with no faults and it seemed to work.
  • Options
    Eyegor, if you're describing the builders' van on its way to our place, I have NO proble with the way they're driving!
  • Options
    You'll be telling me next you don't care if their bum-crack is showing over their jeans! :)
  • Options
    My friend had a conservatory built and told the workmen they'd get a bonus for being finished in time with no faults and it seemed to work.

Surely it should be the other way round? There should be money off the bill if it isn't finished in time.
  • Options
    Nope? Actually I'm doing a pretty good job of convincing myself that the plunge neckline look applied to the back of the trousers could be pretty sexy, really....
  • Options
    Why do you put up with shoddy builders, let them arrive and when they reach the door just say politely 'no thanks we'll get someone else'

If they cant get it right on the 1st day why oh why do you keep them on, do you really expect it to get any better?
  • Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    Builders are realy hard to get up here BB. So much so, that my OH is having to employ loads of Polish builders. But you're right, we shouldn't put up with them.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    don't tar them all with the same brush please - there are some good ones out there who can turn up on time, do the work professionally, and make the experience quite pleasant.

did you check out references before appointing? did you get competitive quotes? are they able to do the work with other work they have on?? are they members of a trade federation??

these are questions that often get neglected and people end up with a poor service.
  • Options
    Sorry FB, and you're right of course, it's just that I had a dreadful experience last time round, so I'm very, very sensitive to things going wrong.

We know the quality of their work is excellent, but they're doing us a favour on the price, so I guess we get what we pay for.

They haven't turned up again today, Mr S phoned them, and was told they'd ring back in 5 minutes. That was at 10 o'clock this morning, and now they're not answering the mobile.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    tbh - if that's their attitude, I'd sack them and get some others in..........OK, it means sitting in a mess for a while longer, but you have your interests to take care of not theirs.....

I'd rather pay more for decent service than less for no service!!

• Options
    I need to say that I so SO regret posting this thread. The builders were cr*p at telling us that they'd been delayed by 3 thanks to the hideous weather at the end of May, but they arrived the following Monday, they're a brilliant bunch of blokes, they've turned up every day since apart from one day when they told us they couldn't make it, and the thing's going up so quickly I'm beginning to wonder if it's inflatable. The clean-up job they do every night is spectacular - the patio next to where they're working is cleaner after they've been there all day than it was before they started. Oh and tea drinking? Yep, they drink it by the gallon, but they leave more milk in the fridge at the end of the day than was there in the morning.

Like Buddah says, I was wrong to tar everyone with the same brush.

Eyegor, no bum cracks showing, in fact one of them is very yummy indeed! Shame I'm probably old enough to be his mother.
  • Options
    good sinewaif

I'm really pleased that it worked out for you!!

Care to share their details (especially the yummy one...!!)??!
  • Options
    Hi Mrs L

No problem. Let me know if you're anywhere near Hertfordshire, in which case I'll e-mail you their details.