Mums Running Club

Comments

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

LOL JT - is that for real?

Caro, hope the soreness is improving; have never had haemorrhoids (thank God) but they sound hideous.  I hope you find relief down below soon!

Karen, sounds like a great shopping spree!  MM, I get stuff in White Stuff sale as well - only tops though, their bottoms are far too big.  They started doing a size 6 but not across the whole range, which is rather annoying - and then not a petite so trousers etc. still too long for me.  I'm not really a fan of Next as for some reason the cut of their clothes just doesn't work for my body shape and the clothes seem to come up big, even in the petite range.  No shopping for me this month though if I'm going to be paying for chiro treatments! image

Hope all the lurgies (and there are a LOT!) are on the mend.  Touch wood I have escaped so far, although poor Kit is full of cold and has a cough.  I think I'm run down and need to invest in some multivitamins I think, as I had a stye two weeks ago (which I popped, I know you're not meant to but it was too gross to ignore) then woke up on the morning of Kit's party with my right eye completely sealed shut with gunk.  Cleaned it out but it was slightly swollen and looked smaller than the other one (I'd had a sore upper eyelid for a couple of days before).  Got some Brolene drops from Boots which sorted it out within a day, but by the evening of that day the infection had spread to the other eye too so still using the drops.  Bit of a pain as I will now need to chuck my mascara and eyeliner - currently wearing no eye make up and look dreadful!  CC, so with you on not looking down into mirrors any more!!

• JT - Bizarre! Maybe someone else has your friends phone and is taking the p*ss!

Minks - scary - glad you weren't hurt badly. Annoying about the keys too!

CM - have now realised that for M's party on Sunday hubby isn't even here - unfortunately as she is 4 now she had realised that there should be a party for her friends!!
  • i would just stop texting her tbh. sounds too weird...
  • parties are a pain, aren't they kinsey.  as far as E is concerned, because she hasn't had her party yet, it isn't her birthday!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭

MM, good news on the tentative return to running, keep cautious though and take it easy.

CM, one thing I've really learned from doing this party is that kids don't eat at parties.  At all.  I made enough small sandwich squares for only 3 per child and still loads were thrown away.  Trouble is you look at the items in your shopping trolley in the supermarket and think it just doesn't look like enough - but it is!  They only really want to eat crisps and cake, anything else is a waste of money!  Don't bother with anything remotely healthy (I'd bought three punnets of grapes and came home with two of them).  I actually put the food straight onto each child's plate rather than having serving platters in the middle and this did seem to result in slightly more food being eaten but still dreadful amounts wasted. Predictably, Kit was starving when we got home!

CC, hope Scarlett is feeling better.

Joh, am sure you'll be good for sub-3:50.  Your training seems to be going fantastically, especially with a young baby.  I would never have managed to train for a marathon at your stage, or even wanted to, so hats off to you.

Vixo, glad the funeral went well and very well done on the 14-miler! 

Aargh, can't remember anyone else's posts ... sorry, must do better!

• Really CM? Is it a commonish name in Wales? (as in occurs frequently rather than common as muck!) I thought it was an old American name. I was always convinced it was a boy anyway (although my aunt just sent him a pink and grey hat in the post, and he is currently snuggled in the pushchair under Matilda's flowery pushchair blanket, so people could be forgiven for assuming otherwise!)
  • i know about 4 people in S Wales called Cora - not sure whether it's that frequent, but i had never heard the name before i came here. i liked it at first, but have gone off it (unfortunately) due to the type of people i have met who have been called Cora! but that can happen with any name, tho...

minks - oh yes, the kids only eat crisps, biscuits and occasionally mini sausages. i never even bother making sandwiches for kids parties now.

• Hi All, taken ages to catch up.

RF - sorry to hear you didn't get the job, hope something else comes up soon.

Minks - glad to hear how efficient insurance co was but eek to accident.

JT - very odd about your friend, sounds as though someone must have her phone!

CC, lovely ypu have some company, hope S perks up soon.

CM, glad you survived the day with T, and 'Happy Anniversary!' image

MM, I first thought you had said you had an 18 mile run, not an 18 min run!  All looking good, well done for resting it for so long.

Oh no, forgotten everything else now, sorry.

Well, had some fresh bleeding on Monday morning and thought maybe it was my period starting again already but not so sure.  It was followed by some biggish clots then nothing much else for the rest of the day.  Tuesday morning the bleeding started again and continued through the day, reasonably heavy and am still bleeding now.  Don't know if it is the same as a period as I always wear tampons and am still using pads now so difficult to compare.  Had my blood test yesterday to chech hcg levels and have just been called to say it is 14 (don't know if the scale is the same as used in UK).  They look for 0-2 really but the doc's assistant seemed to think it was not too high.  She is going to speak to doc now and find out what he wants to do, whether to have a scan or do another test.  The last thing I want now is to have to have the procedure....image

Shall just have to wait and see.

EF, hope your sister is OK - but more importantly, hope you are OK (()).

OMG to all the birthdays at the moment and Sonya and Karen - where did those 2 years go?  Max's birthday is a week tomorrow.

• Fingers crossed everything is ok TT. Thinking of you (())

I think I'm turning into my mother - have just rearranged the dishwasher because my poor husband hadn't stacked it 'right'!!

I must do invitations to isabelle's party - keep forgetting, but hope ive told most people by text. I did fish fingers, oven chips and peas last year which worked well, and most of it got eaten, but haven't decided what to do this year. Will hope for good weather so they can all go out in the garden, do a few games, and then lunch - doing it earlier rather than tea time cos I think they're less likely to be grumpy!! I didn't do party bags last year, but Isabelle does love getting them, so think I might have to relent this year - but not too much plastic rubbish, I can't bear it!

Caro - I quite like Cora. Haven't heard of anyone round here called it. Lots of eve/evie/ava though. Mind you, we chose one of the most common girls names - not that we realised it at the time!
  • Ha ha JT. At least you know now!!
  • Ooh JT, just imagine if it had been her!!! pretty awful thing for someone to send from her phone though as others may have had same 'offer' and your friend won't know why she's getting funny looks.
    great running Minks, MM, EF etc, glad the visits to chiro's and osteos and physios seem to be helping everyone.
    CM - glad you enjoyed your anniversary too!!!!!!!
    Lady P - great advice from all the girls, it is hard when you are actually in the middle of the sleep deprivation to see a way forward but everyday things will get a wee bit better. You are doing all the right things and with a bit more time the routine will rub off on her! Dummy suggestion is v good, if she is genuinely hungry then a dummy won't pacify so don't worry about not knowing. Also it does give your boobs chance to make some quality milk rather than a babe constantly sucking and getting all foremilk which can make them fractious (and more sicky). hang in there!
    Caro - things sound better for you too. I'm not sure about Cora either but would not have thought it chavvy! Hope umbilicus heals soon, HV can sort otherwise. We used to use powder but not sure if it still used now.
    party planning - nope still haven't done anything and toms bday is Saturday.... Oops.
    Quick trip to Tesco today so at least he has a snorkel and one direction cd to open..... Mil is giving him a DS so hope they come up early!
    Houseful here so better go!
  • I love Cora, never met a Cora. Although as I was typing it realised its an anagram of Caro :0). Eve is Camryn's middle name 2, Natalya's is Mae. I don't have middle name + always wanted 1, so was determined my girls would have one. Tx
  • Yes, we have a glut of Eve, Eva, Evie around here too, although interestingly none in J's class. I like those names though.  There are also quite a lot of Ellas, and everyone thinks Ellen is an Ella. Doesn't help that I call her Ellie-Wellie-Boot, or Ellie Boot, quite a lot. So some people think she's Ellie. She knows she's not though and corrects people, even though she sometimes says 'Silly Boot' when she drops something!
  • RF - really disappointing about the job (())

CC - great to have your sister to stop you going mad, make the most of her for babysitting I would say! Hope S and you all are back to full health soon. My sister moved home before Christmas and we have been getting on brilliantly. Like you we spent most of our childhood fighting and I haven't lived near her since we both went off to uni. 

Lady P - can't really add to all the great advice. It will get better...

2 weeks until the twins birthday and I haven't even thought about a party yet!

Minks - sorry to hear bout your prang in the car. Glad no serious damage. Good news on the butt problem, game on for VLM then!

Caro - I've never met a Cora either. I rather like it.

KAren - love the idea of you doing reps while the family played. 

MM - yay to the run. Have you heard anymore on the job?

Vixo - reorganising the dishwasher is bad!

JT - Lol. 

TTid - really hope you don't need the procedure. (())

Kinsey - when we were little we had an irish setter called Josephine! Josie is quite common name for blokes up here amoung the older generation.

So running, 4 miles for me this morning and then the track tonight. 2 m w/u then 4 x 1 mile reps. (6.14mm / 6.10 / 6.10 / 6.07) off 2 min recovery. Pleased with that. My mum looked after the twins while I did the session and they fell asleep in the car on the way home at 6pm and I plonked them straight into their beds wen we got back. Fingers crossed they sleep until the morning!

Was a bit embarrassed when I picked the twins up from nursery today as the nursery assistant told me that they had been singing that "mama do the hump" song all morning! image Sophie and her bloomin music! 

Right better go fetch the girls from girls brigade.

• ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

TT - I have't got a middle name either and always wanted one.  Lexi is Evangeline which we did consider as first name but it would probably have been shortened to Eve and as I also have an 'Eve' variant name could get confusing!!  I had only ever met one other Yve/Eve until I was nearly 40 and now there are little ones EVERYWHERE!!

Like Cora - never met one though. 

Sorry to hear about your car Minks - glad no one was hurt.

JT - lol at the texting!

• Hi everyone, thanks for the support re VLM. I've got 17m to do this weekend! And I'm a bit scared, especially given the hills that will involve image

MM-great news re your running. Your swimming sounds great too!

LadyP - I agree with the advice given, I was totally lost with no'1, every time my hubby got home from work, I handed him the baby and had to escape. Both were difficult throughout the evenings until about 8 weeks, all of a sudden you realise it's not as terrible as it was..

Vixo-great running and pace too!

Lotte-great times!

JT LOL image

Sonya-I went for a run at 4+6, but only because I had babysitters!! Unexpectedly! So I escaped but took it v v easy. I healed really well this time. My mum is on the med team in Weymouth for the Olympics, but I'll look out for your mum when I go to the tennis! Can't wait :-/

CM- happy anniversary image

Minks-glad the party (and run!) went well, but scary about the crash!

RF- sorry to hear about the job (())

TTid-hope you're ok (())
  • Oh and Caro, I like Cora! I don't know any though! Hope your wounds are getting better. Eric sounds like a delight image
  • I like Cora too, didn't occur to me as a name for Anna though, but we had Coral on our list which I was really keen on at one point but hubby not so much.

Minks - car accident sounds awful, glad you're both okay. The other driver sounds like a complete idiot. So frustrating when there's nothing you can do to avoid a prang because the other person has decided to drive like a moron!

Lotte - never heard of the "mama do the hump" song, but I imagine it's not appropriate for toddlers image. Lily is loving Beyonce at the moment - I had to put it on her ipod as she was driving me mad singing the Chipmunks version of "I'm a Survivor" in the style of screechy chipmunks, so decided if she was going to sing it I'd rather hear her doing a Beyonce impression (without the booty shaking of course) rather than the Chipmunks.

JT - sorry your threesome isn't on the cards after all, hope you aren't too disappointed image ha ha ha ...

• Jeepers you lot can yabber!

Um.  Minks, mare about the accident.  Very relieved no one hurt.  I had to raise a claim today and I was weeping as my colleague read me the statements about it.  It was a 21 yr old, killed on impact by a foreign driver.  Horrible horrible. 

On a lighter note JT I was decking myself reading.  My friend once dropped her phone number in a bar - legitimately cos she'd changed her number so had printed slips from orange saying Caroline's new number is........Well this guy picked it up and texted her!!  They ended up going on 3 datesimage

RF sorry about the interview.  Not meant to be but frustrating when you do work for an interview and you don't get it!

Back to birthdays, glad folks had good times.  Enjoyed the FB pics Kinsey and CM.  Kit's day sounds good too Minks apart from smash of course. 

Lotte - don't know mama do the hump.  Louise sings Maisie camel has 2 humps.  We are subjected to the Early Learning Centre version of the Beatles and Abba and lots of musicals.  I'm cool with the musicals and I would be fine with the beatles and abba only they are only about 5 songs in total and she wants them over and over.  today I put Abba gold in the car and she shrieked for ages - this is rubbish music, stupid music, I want the children.  Why is it BOYS singing? Boys are STUPID!  AAAAAAAARGH.

Cora - I haven't come across it at all.  However there were only 24 kids in Scotland named Cora last year!  You sound absolutely determined Caro......accidents do happen though image my hubby is one!

Speaking of hubby he was doing my absolute dinger the last 2 nights. It seems we weren't speaking though I didn't quite know why. So I stomped off to bed early and read (til late, doh!) and he stayed on the PC til late. Spent the journey to work having to check myself from speaking as I kept forgetting we weren't talking. It's very hard not to speak! Anyway, after the above mentioned court action I decided just to forget whatever it was and talk to him and he's done likewise.  The whole never sleep on an argument thing really hits home.  Still don't know why he was so grumptastic though.

• Joh, I think you are doing amazingly!  I didn't run VLM the year after I had Lou in spite of guaranteed place and she was born in July!  Though I did go back to work in January which just zonked me. 

Welcome Lady P.  We too started a routine.  We started about 4 weeks and just used to do bath, stories and bed.  Even then I did a story of some sort.  I did express a lot.  I used to express at 5am and at 10.00pm and we'd use the milk I got at 5am for the dream feed at 10.30ish and I would get ready for bed.  I used to take the "spare" out and about with me because at that point I was still having to do a half body strip to breastfeed!  I got absolutely loads of milk out though so I used to have bottles and bottles in the fridge!  i think we went away for a week in the October and I distinctly remember a cool box with about 16 bottles in it!!

Well I did my speed sesh yesterday and my tempo today and it was OK.  Am struggling at the mo because I think I am putting weight back on and it's all due to this ruddy honestysnax box we've got at work.  this woman dropped it in for us and I swear you have never seen so much shit food in all your days.  I am dying over it.  I could honestly have about 4 things a day though I don't.  But I do have something 3 days out of 5.  BAH.  I have got to get a grip as I am sure it's going to affect my running.  Not been on scales in ages cos I was so fat for a bit and now I've lost a fair amount I'm too scared to look because I think I haven't lost enough and that it will just depress me.  Warped logic I know.

Thanks to CM and to Monkey Runner for the teeth and lips from Aldi.  You are right CM, they are the best!  MR has got them for me too - from dunfermline!  

Um.  What else.  I went on a site visit today to a stately home.  One of the better site visits.  Usually you have to visit some godawful factory and look at how yum yums are produced (yes I did have a claim about someone who got injured on the production line for yum yums).  This was rather pleasant!

T Tid, I hope you're OK.  My sis is all right.  I saw her on Sunday.  She's had the distraction of having her kitchen totally re done the same week as she was waiting.  It has all happened naturally now and she had a check up on Monday.  Bad sister I haven't contacted her to see how it went but she was pretty sure it was all out.  I'm fine really.  I never let myself get excited for her.  Was determined not to reallly think about it after the initial shock until I saw a happy scan photo. 

What is this mild weather like?  I have been baking the last 2 days.  Need to look out my mack instead of my winter coat.  That'll get the snow back!

My school is trying to organise a 20 year reunion at the moment.  Thankfully I still live where I went to school so dead easy for me to go!  I think it would be a laugh.  The 10 yr one was a hoot.  We finished up at the do and headed off to someone's parents house, via several other parents' houses to raid their booze cupboards.  Very much how we finished 6th form!

• CC - poor scarlett.  hope she picks up soon.

And Vixo - rearranging the dishwasher made me laugh.  I do it too cos hubby never does it right. 

• Sorry to anyone missed.  i don't mean to - I just run out of space and can't go back pages to check.  (()) to all who need them and have a good Thurs and Fri.  It's practically the weekend! [thank gawd, yesterday was a carp day at work and I was mega stressed though I made a decision just after lunch and once it was made the day improved immensely cos I just stopped thinking about what was the best course of action]

• EF - sorry I have just ROFL'd at you and hubby not speaking and not knowing why. glad work has improved tho.

i have had a bad day at work today. am getting really stressed about something i'm doing, which isn't like me. i am trying to drive it all thru and it's all being scrutinised at a senior level and i am bricking myself about it. i think all the upset with my folks and reliving (in my mind) all the things they said about me when i was a kid has really affected me. am feeling very shit about myself right now and can't seem to defend myself as i usually would. found myself longing just to give up work and get a job in the corner shop today so i could have no stress and not be bullied by people. normally i can deal with all that stuff - but i can't right now.

• cc - J was harry potter last year. i made some paper glasses, a wand out of a pencil with some sparkly pipe cleaners coming out of it, and he wore my old college gown and took my broom wit him! this year, he wants to be Tom from Beast Quest, so is wearing a knight's outfit which has been customised. however, Tom wears his chainmail UNDER his ordinary clothes, so he is insisting on a t-shirt and a pair of trousers over the top of his knight's costume. i think he will look a little like the michelin man, particularly as the knight's costume is quite big and baggy (because it is aged 5-7) and his t-shirts are quite fitted in comparison. ah well - he is insistent!

hope all the lurgies are clearing up. i have such a sore throat - hurts to swallow.  but for now i have no other symptoms, except feeling bleurgh.  doesn't help that i can't run. back is still so painful image. have stopped taking paracetamol as i wasn't noticing any relief from taking them, and i still haven't braved voltarol yet, mainly because my throat is so painful that i don't want to be sick at the moment as it would kill too much!

i am so busy at work - got up at 6am to try and break the back of a cost model, and my broadband was down. it has only just come back up and now i have to leave to go to st david's day assembly at school!

• Morning all!

Thanks again for all the great advice and reassurance, folks. image

I think things are getting slightly better. The past two nights haven't been quite as bad - we realise that reflux/stuffy nose isn't really the issue with her not settling in the cot, as she'll happily sleep lying completely flat on our laps or next to me in bed. Her absolute favourite place to sleep, however, is daddy's chest.

Not the longterm solution, but for the past two nights hubby's taken her between feeds and let her sleep on him. During that time, I get some kip. Hubby then sleeps in in the morning, and I have a nap in the afternoon. She's not cluster-fed over the pas t two nights (perhaps because she's more relaxed) and we noticed that last night she seemed considerably less lively whe she was awake, but on the other hand she seemed more awake in the afternoon when I took her out in the buggy.

She does eventually settle down in the cot towards the end of the night/early hours. We might try warming her cot with a hot water bottle before putting her down in the evening, but I think the night/day thing is the priority to sort.

We've got a prescription for Gaviscon, but if it doesn't helpmuch, then at the end of the day, she's putting on weight, weeing and pooing properly and generally happy - we just have to put up with the washing!

Will try out dummies, and am going out today to get stuff for expressing. Lovely day to take the little one out for a shop and a stroll. image

Have a good day, ladies and babies! Xx
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Yikes, loads to catch up with and it's only 9:25am!  Have had to take the day off today - Kit was awake coughing for about 2 hours during the night (so I was up and down as well) and he is shattered.  He's actually pretty much OK in himself but decided a day at home would probably be best for him.  At least it means I don't have to meet hubby in town to hand over the car keys.  Was a bit cross though as I went up to the ticket office when I dropped hubby at the station at 8am, to try and get a refund on the travelcard I'd already bought for today (I always buy in advance because Thursday is such a rush I don't have time to get a ticket when I get to the station - barely make the train as it is some days!) and was just given a form to try to claim the money back.  Bet I won't get anything as I can't prove I haven't used it - that's £18 down the drain, which is what it costs me per day to get to work because not worth getting a season ticket for only 3 days a week.

Now I'm at home and my remote access is playing up to can't even work properly.  If I can't get it sorted I think I might just take the day as holiday and be done with it.  At least I won't have to worry about getting on the computer!

Ran 10 miles last night, managed to average 8:00m/m which was OK, at least half the run was under that pace.  But it felt SO hard, and everything hurt again.  I probably shouldn't have tried to go at that pace but am panicking that at VLM I'll need to run 35 seconds per mile faster than that for the whole race, and at this stage I just don't think I can.  Keep telling myself it's early days but two years ago I was managing the midweek semi-long runs at about 7:15-7:20 pace and I cannot get anywhere near that at the moment.  The bloody cambered pavements and potholes everywhere don't help - where we lived before we had mainly wide, well-lit pavements and most of them had been recently repaired.  So am sure that's a factor but if I felt totally trashed after 10 miles I don't hold out much hope for 26.2!

JT, glad you got to the bottom of what was going on with your friend's phone.  It was hilarious though!

EF, LOL at you and hubby; same happens here sometimes and I have no idea what I'm supposed to have done!

Right, best go and administer some cough mixture and try to get into work PC again ...

• Morning ladies!!
    Glad things are looking up Lady P, babies are Very clever at wrapping daddies around their little fingers!
    minks - rubbish about your car and hope you are really OK. If knee hurts then I would get it checked out as a precaution in case it gives you long term probs?
    RF - agree I would have to be pretty secure before I dropped a perm contract for a temp one but then once you have a foot in the door..... Could you get bank work as a back up if temp contract finished and you had no hours?
    CM- boo to work, try not to imagine what parents may/ may not be thinking. Your costume skills sound amazing!
    Boys off to school in welsh shirts for st davids day here too.