Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Caro - fab that Eric is sleeping so well, I guess you will know more once he has been weighed but Aidan was also a lot less of a screamer than Martha. I used to push her around wailing in the pram - think it happened with Aidan once.
    I wondered whether I was more relaxed second time around and perhaps did things slightly different without being aware of it??!!
    Am preparing for a more stressful time this time if its a girl!!

Think we have sorted christian name choices, not really worked on middle names yet!

Camlo - glad Tom had a good birthday.

Joh - hope you rest and recover - don't push it if its hurting!

MM - fingers crossed for your run too!

Birthday party day today - have heaps to do!!!
  • Options
    Hope the party goes well Kinsey.

Well Eric was a more normal baby on a 3 hr schedule last night, but given that we got a scream free evening with him asleep I guess that's the price to pay, and I got to land him n hubby at 7.30 till now.

To the in laws for lunch today-yum!
  • Options
    Well off 2 the physio at 12o'clock as my 1st run in 6 wks was not great. 300metres on the treadmill and the sharp nippy pain started in my shin. Would b great if physio said it was something I could run with and will eventually go away but not optimistic. Tx
  • Options
    Wow that's great running Janie, well done!!

MM, sounds like you're getting there with yiur injury, and I'm so impressed with yiur rehab swimming!

Kinsey, hope the party is fun image

Lotte, glad the swimming turned out ok.

CC, that sounded like just what you needed to have your sister around for a bit.

TT, sorry about the shin. Hope the physio is helpful :-/

TTid (()). Well done on the run.

Caro, I am SO jealous of your sleeping baby! S was like that for a while but is now killing me - won't be put down, won't sleep very long at night...reminds me of my dearest firstborn image. Hubby says it just requires some "effort", but that'll be all me I imagine.

Leg felt a lot better this morning after lots of stretching and massage yesterday, but stiffened up again now image. Just hope it's a minor blip imageimage
  • Options
    Well official diagnosis is Periostitis, which is inflammation of shin bone and bits connected 2 it. Bn prodded, kneaded, stuck with needles and taped up. Back nxt Sun for more + plan of exercises 2 get me back running. Hav 2 stretch my hamstrings non stop til then as reckons it's my very tight right hamstring that's 2 blame, shortening my stride + forcing me 2 lift that foot higher. Tx
  • Options
    Joh - poor you, could S be teething already? Mine to be honest were neither of them good sleepers until teething finished.

JT - well we have your rain - nonstop! I have made some really nice friends here, we go out once in a while for dinner and its a real treat!
    I don't have many close friends though - we are going to struggle with the god parent choices this time!

TT - shame about your shin still playing up, fingers crossed for you.
  • Options

Oh TT. Thats sounds bad. My physio is working well for me. Injuries do sometimes need a bit more than just rest.

Hope you're OK Joh, but don't push it.

18 mins again for me today, 5 mins run, 1 min walk. No pain until I tried to go again after 18 mins, so stopped  and walked home at that point. Seems OK now after ice and stretch. Just started to tighten again. I think it's getting there but it's painfully slow this getting there business!!

More swimming for me tomorrow and seeing the physio in the evening. Then I've been resting the day after seeing him to be sure the treatment has time to work. Seeing podiatrist on Thursday too.

Good running from all those that can run. I would have relished running in the rain this morning if I could have run 20 miles in it I would have done, but oh yes I can't YET!! Next winter hey!!

Very disappointed. Thought we had a fab picture of kids on the beach in half term which we thought we could get blown up into a canvas but quality isn't good enough according to snapfish image. Will put in fb and see what you all think.

• Options
    MM is there a snappy snaps nr you? My local one is very good and can take your images and adapt them slightly if necessary, and also you will get an expert telling you whether they think it will look ok enlarged rather than a computer.
  • Options

oo - does anyone know of where i can get a really good quality canvas done? i want one done of J and E swimming (my FB profile pic) but all the ones i see in tesco and the like look fairly naff quality.

sorry to hear knee still not great, MM. oh and bless you for saying you wish i lived closer! i wish i did too!! i think your boys and J would get on well (and they would be good for him as they are much calmer than he is - and he needs calm influences!); and E adores your S... are you around over Easter. i have asked T if i can have the kids from easter sun for a week. no response (obviously)... was thinking i would go to devon but obviously that is not on the cards now. i have sorted out a bag of stuff for S again - just a few dressing up bits this time...

have had a great weekend. went down to Wookey Hole yday - which was amazing. what a special place. obviously it is all rather tack-tastic, but actually it is such a GORGEOUS setting, and the caves are amazing. thought they may be a bit rubbish (for some reason) but they are truly incredible. J was terrified; E was as calm as anything. was sure it would be the other way around. but J had such a great time - he asked me afterwards if we could go there every saturday when they are with me! bless...

today was E's birthday party, and she had a great time. those of you who have been reading FB will have noted the cake drama at 11.30pm last night. basically my oven burns EVERYTHING, so i had turned it right down in an attempt not to burn the cake. after then giving it about twice as long as it should have had, i decided it was probably cooked and took it out. image. left it to cool and then tried to move it into the box for overnight storage and it split right across one side. ARGH!! anyway, overnight, it solidified enough that i was (amazingly!) able to cut it in half so that the kids could slap loads of buttercream and jam on it. and i plastered icing on it and stuck the cake-topper on it. it didn't even taste that bad! but at 11.30pm last night, when i thought i ought to make another one, i suddenly realised i had no more greaseproof paper. and because E's party was at 1.30pm (we had to leave at 1) and we had to go to swimming between 9.30 and 11am this morning, there was no way of making another one. don't normally leave it so late in the day. it was because we had been at Wookey Hole all day.

anyway, my back is still scoobied, but i have the kids until thurs this week (as T abroad - again), so i won't be running till then anyway image

sorry to hear about your shin, TT. hope the stretches work. did she def think it's not stress fracture then?

• Options
    CM I've only had one canvas done and it was at snappy snaps too. Think they are a franchise so I guess it depends on the owners as to how good they are.

Right, time for zzzzzzzz before little man needs more food! Monday again so fast.

Must see how closewookey hole is to my dad.
  • Options
    it is close to wells, caro. may be a pain from your dad's as cross country?
  • Options

Thanks girls am quite positive about it. Running 3 x 5 mins with no pain is a big achievement as before last week I couldn't run for 2 mins. Going longer than 18 mins in total after only one week of trying to get back from knees particularly was going to be pushing it. They are soooo tempremental. I felt good on the small bits of running I did do and I ran on the road rather than round and round the field so it felt more like a real run. Swimming today anyway, then physio tonight which means a rest tomorrow as he will kill my ITB again, then will try again on Weds morning. I might try 8-10 mins of running on Weds,1 min walk and see whether I can go for 8-10 mins on the way home!!

Whole morning of garden design beckons before lane swimming opens at 12pm. Best get on with it I guess!! Hope I hear from recruitment consultant too.

Caro have had a look at snappy prints, none anywhere near us, typical. Closest is Newbury!! None in the West or SW at all. Might try the photo place in town to see what they say. Don't want to spend a fortune though. Groupon sometimes have Canvas print offers so will keep my eye open for one of those too as they are often in Bristol.

Have ordered a Panel print and collage of the whole day at the beach in 10x8 which I will frame. Just need some more recent pics around the house instead of baby ones!!

Sorry about your back CM. Yes we're off that week. Going to Mums Thursday to Monday, but back Tues to Friday then off to Cambridge as hubbie doing Cambridge Duathlon World Qualifier, so Cambridge tour beckons again!! E looked like she had a fab time. S would love dressing up clothes she is well into it now bless her. She does amaze me every day!!

Where is your Dad Caro, Calne//Devizes? It was about an hour from here, bit of pain to be fair. We went through Bristol tbh, not the easiest place but it was such a fab xmas day out with the circus, caves, santa and of course the caves and normal attractions like soft play etc.

Right work!!

• Options

Also wanted to ask if anyone wants some washable nappies. I have 30+ Motherease, with wraps in different sizes, a couple of bags, zippy bags, bin, some paper liners etc. Does anyone know if they can be sold anywhere?

Sophie is so close to being potty trained and now wets through her nappies too quickly as drinks sooo much so going to stop using them now. She knows whats going on it's just finding the time to try again.

• Options
    CM - yes he said 2 put any worries of stress fracture out of my head as in his experience when he taps on the site of a stress fracture the response is far more extreme than mine was. Otherwise the symptoms r very similar as it is a bone pain I am getting. He checked my ankle mobility and strength in all the muscles that move my foot and they were all excellent, said my feet r in very good shape 4 a runner and I have fabulous mobility in lower back and no issues with itb, but have horrendously tight hamstrings. I knew that really just didn't take seriously what impact that would have on rest of me. Also very odd that my right hamstring is much tighter than left when I am right handed, think it would normally b other way round. Cue u all lying on floor checking ur hamstrings lol ;0).

What have you bn doing 2 treat ur back pain? Chiropractor I know swears by icing 4 20mins at least 4 times a day, more if u can and antiinflammatories. Do not apply heat even if it seems to give some relief. Ice ice ice! Tx
  • Options

i have worked out what is buggering my back. it's pushing E on that bloody trike of hers up the hill to school, with invariably a cello / book bag / lunch bag in my other arm. so i am stretching one arm out and pushing with the other arm with loads of stuff on it. did it this morning and my back was KILLING me by the time i got to the top. the pain is quite high - in my waist area, and that's exactly where it was agony when i was pushing. i guess she is heavy now, and the hill is quite steep. but she won't walk...

car wouldn't start this morning. argh. called recovery and they were here in 40 mins. they managed to get it started though eventually by pumping away on the accelerator. i didn't dare do that as the noise it was making was awful. so it's booked in the garage tomorrow. need to just try and fathom out whether i dare try to get to cardiff with the kids tonight for athletics. won't be much fun being there at 6pm if the car won't start.

E has taken herself off to bed. i think the weekend's over excitement has caught up with her.

glad it's not a stress fracture, TT. i am icing my back but i can't take anti-inflammatories. only painkiller i can use is paracetamol which is useless tbh. i also have mobilisation exercises for my back which i was given last time. am trying to do those now as it has eased a bit. when it seizes up i can't do anything at all.

MM - may be round that week. am thinking of going down to devon to see my cousins at some point (but not my parents - so only for a night as will have to stay in a travellodge or somewhere, as no-one has any room for us to stay and i am obviously not staying with my parents!). so we will be around at some point. would  be good to see you. you could always stop off here on the way back again if you wanted to...

• Options

CM - oh dear, bad back not good. I thought you had made some progress with getting E to walk, is she back to refusing again now?

TT - total bummer about the leg. Sounds like you're doing all the right things though and hopefully won't be too much longer til you're running again. Now that you've said that about hamstrings I'm going to have to start stretching mine more too, the rest of my legs are fine but I know mine could do with some proper regular stretching too.

MM - great to hear you're making progress on your recovery. Your S sounds a lot like my Anna with the dressing up - last night before bath she insisted on wearing peppa pig knickers and a fairy outfit so she could look like a princess, she then insisted on lifting her dress and flashing her knickers at us all in a most un-princessly manner saying "look, peppa pig and suzie sheep knickers"!. They're just too cute at this age image.

Some great long runs gone on this weekend - well done ladies.

I had an interesting run on Saturday trying to concentrate on technique rather than anything else. Having been worn down by hubby's enthusiasm for barefoot / minimalist running have gone and ordered myself some innov8s. They're the road running ones so probably the bulkiest ones you can get from them but the first pair that arrived (which I've sent back as they're too small) came with an instruction leaflet about how to run in them which was interesting; so all about not heel striking, making sure foot lands immediately beneath your body as you run, and also that the foot should land softly and not slapping on the floor. So even though don't have the new shoes yet thought I'd try and put it all into practice and so far so good as ended up running faster than normal without even trying. Surely this means I'll be flying along once I'm actually in the new shoes image ... hmmm, wishful thinking probably!

Right, better get off here now, although having a crappy day at work today and can't wait to get out of the office, roll on 5 o'clock ...

• Options

oo sounds good, karen. i think i need some running technique instruction. my feet slap very badly.

no - she is back to refusing walking completely. huge histrionics every time we have to walk anywhere. even from the car to school. it is awful. i just push through it but it is not improving at all.

• Options

Just be careful with all these free running things. I know many people who have tried it and they are always injured!! OK in different places to before but it's not stopped them getting injured. And of course if you run on your toes you run faster. 800m runners run on their toes and wearing track spikes obviously helps you with this. Running on your toes for a marathon though takes years. Calves take some bashing. I tend to land kind of midfoot so still get the control from my orthotics. Just trying to buy some new trainers actually as not really liking new mizuno wave riders either. Think I might try Saucony Jazz again. Trained in them before and they seem to suit me well.

Need to get orthotics checked etc yet anyway.

120 lengths done at the pool, was tired by the end today so must be doing something to aid my fitness. Really struggling with this garden design at the mo and getting distracted by trainers on wiggle doesn't help!!

Right must make the use of S's last 30 mins of sleep!!

• Options
    Yes that is interesting Karen, just started reading about minimalist vs barefoot in RW- not for me just yet but maybe one day...

MM, can I put a marker down for your nappies? Still waiting for my voucher to purchase some but if it doesn't happen soon I may lose the motivation! Or you could sell them on eBay-seriously anything goes on there!!

TT, sounds positive (())

Just had a sports massage, she said muscles all quite good and loose though glutes v v weak. This is good news I think as it means I'm not totally crocked - yet!! So lots of core work to do, and stretching.

Was practically I tears this morning due to lack of running, and went to docs for smear, only for them to not check me in so nurse didn't know I was there - with baby - so wasted a good half an hour waiting. Then when I saw the nurse she was saying "oh I know it's hard to get out of the house on time with a baby" I was like "grrrrr!! I was here 5 mins early and have been waiting half an hour!!"
  • Options

The minimalist shoe thing is really interesting. I read articles and am very tempted but never actually go for it because I am terrified of getting injured. I wear asics nimbus's which are pretty heavy and very cushioned. But every time I mentioned to my podiatrist about going lighter she would say why would you want to and dissuade me., I think her reasoning was high mileage, you need the cushioning and they seem to work for you so leave well alone. I have a pair of lightweight asics I sometimes use for the track and I love running in them and they do make me feel speedy but I often end up with a foot niggle afterwards so have not chanced it during the last couple of months with such high mileage. They have brought out a new model of asics excel33 and I am tempted to try them. I also fancied a pair of Nike frees just to wear as everyday trainers and would hope they would help strengthen my feet. I bum about in a pair of Nike lunarglides (for walking/cycling the twins etc) which I never really liked to run in but they are now like a comfy pair of old slippers!

My parents are both struck down with full blown flu at the moment. Of course I am worried about them but I am also selfishly betting it hits me before I go away this weekend. Fingers crossed we manage to avoid it. They are supposed to be off to the alps skiing at the weekend. 

I am pretty good about stretching my hamstrings after every run. As soon as they get tight problems start. Feel my lower back tight at them moment so I am doing hamstrings 3 times a day.

10 miles this morning, glorious sunny calm day here and the first silly o'clock run when I haven't had to wear my headtorch woo hoo! 

• Options

Sorry CC. I just don't know any elites who run in barefoot/minamilist shoes, and maybe there is a reason for that. I base all my ideas and theories on what the elites do as they have the money/funding/time for all these things. Sorry I am a cynic I guess. Hubbie had a go a few years back after injuries and even with little and often it wasn't for him. I'm not going to even try, it's worked OK up to now so not going to change now.

They are yours Johbo. Do you fancy popping into to pick them up after Bath or something? Might cost a bit to post them.

• Options

C'mon MM, don't say you've forgotten about little Zola Budd already, I seem to remember she did pretty well a few years back image.

To be honest I don't feel particularly strongly either way, just thought I'd give it a go as hubby is such a convert, and for me my mileage is pretty low compared to a most of you lot (only around 15 miles a week at the moment) so it'll be easier for me to build up to those shorter distances. I'll let you all know how I get on ...

• Options
    Yes and then look how injured she became Karen!!!!
  • Options
    Maybe try it AFTER the marathon Karen?!

MM looks like u can sell nappies here http://www.usednappies.co.uk/

My dad is 10 mns the other side of Devizes from you.

Had a letter on sat from stupid council saying they haven't rceived our 3 proofs of address for Matilda's school application, so need to get that sorted, and had my latest pay slip from work and they have deducted my childcare vouchers from my SMP which is illegal!! You can't deduct things from SMP they have to pay me my vouchers on top of my SMP. Idiots. If I worked for a small independent practice with 1 employee with vouchers I could forgive them, but I work for a large corporation with an HR dept and a payroll dept and they STILL get it wrong!