Mums Running Club

Comments

• Don't worry Caro - my marathon ambitions well and truly binned for this year and maybe forever. I've come to realise I'm just not that competitive when it comes to sports, never have been, and while I like the idea of racing to prove to myself I can run faster / longer etc. at the moment I just don't feel the need to push myself to do it. Just happy to enjoy running for now I guess.

• Caro - 3 proofs of address sounds mad!
    I think ours is all linked to our council tax and I'm pretty sure they didn't ask for a proof, but we had to do a separate form for the school and they wanted one proof of address.
    Hope we have done it all correctly either way!

I havn't really thought much about my running style, but I think I do run quite quietly as I can often make people jump when I go past them so I tend to now make a bit more noise when I approach people so I don't scare anyone! My hubby on the other hand breathes astoundingly heavily when he runs or uses the rowing machine, if he's out in the garage I can hear him from in the house! Slightly changed the subject there - oops!

Minks - not sure if i have asked which club your hubby is rowing for? Are they doing the head of the river? Not sure what time of day it is, might go and watch if its a nice day.
  • OMG. I am on a Coaching course next weekend to become a 'Coach'. The pre-course stuff I have to do is mental. Just to read I have 40 A4 pages, I have to design 4 session plans for beginners which I don't know much about either and profile an athlete. I also have to fill in a questionaire and find a mentor coach. All by Sat 17th. I do have other things to do you know, like work, training myself. OMG not sure I can fit all this in...

I wondered if any of you fancied being coached/advised for 6 months. I need some athletes to profile and show I have helped to coach them, set sessions/schedules for them and had feedback from them. Any of you fancy that? I'm not too hot on the ultra running side but something I can learn for sure?

• Well I called the council and they had thought I'd sent them a mobile phone bill, as well as my driving license and council tax bill, when actually it was a landline bill. So they admitted their mistake, apologised an it's all fine.

As for work, I need to check the amount I've been paid, and check when I started maternity leave, as I think maybe for this pay period I may have still been receiving some of my 6 wks at 90% of my salary and therefore they can still sacrifice that and take the money for the vouchers. But on my pay slip it only says SMP whereas last month it split SMP and salary into different things, so I don't know.

Karen I thought you were doing London this y? Or have I got mummy brain and gone mad?

Don't think I'm brave enough to try barefoot running, but I know someone who loves his five fingers, and the born to run book is v good.
  • Ha ha MM, you could coach me.....don't think you'd have much work to do for a while!

I am a bit worried about my pelvis, I'm only walking 2 miles a day at most and by the evening the fr ont of my pelvis is sore and I am hobbling a bit. What's annoying is that was something that wasn't sor before labour- I reckon the 2 halves of my pelvis are at least 1 cm further apart since Eric decided to head out on his back! Hope it stops hurting soon........I want to go for a jogette! (but not planning n attempting anything till 6 wk check up)
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Kinsey, hubby is a member of Broxbourne Rowing Club.  They are doing the Head of the River race - if it's a nice day Kit and I might head along to watch, but not if it turned out to be a day like yesterday for sure!  As it turned out, although I was initially a bit peeved with hubby for needing me to switch my long run from Sunday to Saturday at short notice, in the end he did me a favour.  Saturday afternoon was glorious - almost too warm! - whereas yesterday was a total write-off weather-wise!

20-miler went OK - would have been better but running partner started to get severe calf cramps from about 15 miles, so the last few miles were frustratingly slow for me.  He kept telling me to run ahead and leave him behind, but I'd have felt mean doing that after he stuck with me when I bailed out of the 20 the other week because my niggles were really hurting.  Anyway, worked out at 8:33 average page even with the slower last 4 miles (all over 9 minutes) so reasonably happy with that.  My legs really ached by the end - not in a niggly way though, which is good, and I had virtually no residual stiffness yesterday.  Any thoughts about what my running partner can do about his cramps?  He ran VLM in 2010 when I last did it (although I didn't know him then) and at halfway was only a minute behind me, yet finished in over 4 hours as he seized up at 15 miles.  It seems that he gets cramp in his calves if he tries to go much further than that (was OK during our 18 miler last weekend though).  Lack of salt?

Friends discussion - likewise I don't feel as though I have any really close female friends.  I have my best friend, who mercifully lives not far away, and we are starting to see each other a bit more again now both our kids are at school (her daughter is a year older than Kit).  But other than that I only have acquaintances really - apart from one antenatal friend who I still see.  Occasionally see the others from the group but it seems to have died a death since the kids started school, and I think some of us clash over parenting ideas a bit.  I'm reasonably friendly with a few of the mums from school but have not yet met up with any of them outside of pick-up/drop-off.  Major problem for me is lack of time - every evening during the week is taken up with either my running or hubby's rowing and weekends tend to be family time.  Should try and sort out to meet up with people on Tuesdays sometimes - my only free day.

MM, good to hear your knee is improving - bit frustrating for you that it's a slow process but at least you're headed in the right direction.

Joh, GRRRR to being made to wait at the doctor when you arrived early!

Caro, hope pelvis is a bit more comfortable.  Kit was a dream baby just like Eric really - enjoy it and don't think it's weird!

CC, cool about the race.  Lots of books I've read have suggested a run/walk strategy for the marathon, and there were plenty of examples of people who've run it faster that way than by not taking any walk breaks.  I think it could be a psychological thing too, having a short 'rest' to look forward to every mile or so.

• Wow a chatty day on here!
    MM - you could coach me too if you want. hope to get out for a jog next wkend so am officially a beginner again and will be starting a new list of post hernia pb's.
    Barefoot etc.... Not sure but also eager to hear about others success. I am a Saucony jazz fan at present but loving my racing flats (thanks to MM). I get lazy on long runs and have to remind myself to push pelvis forward if I need to speed up a bit which brings you from heel striking to mid foot (gosh that sounds almost brainy)...
    CM - can you threaten E with a buggy if she refuses to walk - or would she like it! Hope car isn't too sick.
    Caro- well done to supmarket with 2 kids, you were brave. Juggling vouchers, tax credits and tax returns are the stuff of nightmares. Not sure about pelvis pain but may be worth getting the GP/ Physio to check it. You may need to rest more if it has separated???
    CC your kids have enough energy to power a small house!
    MINKS - I have a running buddy who is much quicker than me and absolutely deserves to run a 3.45 mara yet he blows up every time at 18-20 miles and hasn't got under 4 hrs. do you think slower long runs would help so body would get practice at adjusting for longer spells. Change of fuelling too?

Went back to work today after begging the GP to sign me as fit for work! Didn't want to miss a study day today and also was afraid of getting behind so just going to take it steady. Had a laugh learning about STIs and doing condom demo's! Got home and Archie had wet himself on the trampoline, got him in and he managed to wee in an empty cereal packet (very accurately) so sent him to brush his teeth and he put his toothbrush in the toilet....... Grrrrrrrr.
  • caro - pelvis sounds horrid. but you are still very early days so be gentle with yourself.

i am proud of J tonight. he went to athletics and, previously, hasn't been able to jump any of the hurdles. they are very low and not proper hurdles (more like slightly wider versions of those signs that you see in toilets saying 'wet floor' if you see what i mean). he is the tallest by a head or so in the under 7s group and all the little tackers fly over them and J runs up to them, and steps over them. but today, he jumped them all. he knocked most of them over but hey! he jumped. i was so proud. he also got all 10 spellings right at school today. up until last week he only ever got 5 of the 10 spellings home as i guess school thought he couldn't do it. but i went in to talk to them a couple of weeks ago because he obviously had picked up on the fact that he was 'slower' than the other kids, and he came home with 10 spellings this week. things like whisper, whale, white etc.  and he got them all right. he has NO problem at all with how words are spelt and can spell them out loud. he just struggles with the writing bit! but he did it all today and i was so proud. he was very nonchalant about the whole thing, bless him. but i rejoice in his successes anyway.

• CC - don't forget me if you venture up further into midwales.... Sis has a campsite too which is pretty handy for Élan Valley or Brecon beacons.
  • oh camlo. sorry but archie does make me laugh. i think we have to get him and E together sometime... i dread to think what they would get up to.

no - she would love the idea of going in the buggy i'm afraid. she did walk the school run today, quite happily.  but i did bribe with (aldi's) jaffa cakes. image  tomorrow, i have to walk back with her from the garage after swimming. it's either 1 mile up a ma-hoosive hill. or 1.3 miles with a slightly shorter hill.  there is no bus option. she is going to HATE it. she can't scoot yet really. i think the hills here are what are stopping her from being able to scoot. J can't even scoot that well on them as they are too steep. he is fine going down but going up is a problem. so anyway, tomorrow walking back from the garage is going to be pure evil... i was toying with the idea of taking the buggy tbh. i can't carry her as my back is knackered, and i will already have a bag with swimming stuff and her lunch box in it. but really, she should be able to walk it at 3yrs.

• where is your sis' campsite, camlo?
  • CC - did I miss something about Cheddar Gorge?  I grew up in Cheddar!  My parents still live there and I guess I still think of it as 'home' in a way.  Has been about 18 months since I set foot there though.

Just taken ages to catch up, sorry to hear that more of you are on the bench.  I ran again on Saturday, took it slow but it does feel good to be back at it.  Can't remember when I last posted but had blood test last week, HCG level of 14 (under 5 is not pregnant, over 25 is pregnant - according to internet - not sure what the no-man's land in between is!).  Doc just wants me to have another test next week.  Bleeding finally stopped this weekend so maybe it was a period??

On the subject of friends, I have a few from school and university that I could pick up with any time and pick up where we left off.  Have been really lucky to make some very good friends here too since we got here.  CC - your sister's visit sounded great, maybe she will come more often now she knows how easy and quick it is??

• Just checked and actually work shouldn't have deducted the stupid childcare vouchers last month either! I didn't realise that wks 1-6 where you get 90% of your salary were classed as SMP. I thought SMP only started after that when you got the govt money of £123 ish a wk. But actually it is all classed as SMP and cannot have salary sacrifice things deducted from it, so work actually owe me £440 not £220!! And the doubly annoying thing is I phoned them about 5 months ago after finding all this out, and clarified it with HR, and the woman who I spoke to tried to fob me off and say yes of course you still can get the vouchers, it will just come out of your SMP, until I pointed out that that wasn't how it worked. She then went to talk to someone and called me back and said yes I was right! And yet now they still screw up.........whether it be accidentally or on purpose.......I wonder! So now when M is at pre school in the morning I have to chase this up as well as do my tues morning bathroom cleaning chores! As if I don't have better things to do with my time.

Rant over!

Night all image
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Camlo, thanks for that - we have been playing around with his fuelling so maybe that will help.  He's got some salt tablets as well which may supplement the isotonic drinks.  He sweats buckets when we run - some people seriously sweat and he is one of them! - so it may be that he just isn't adequately replacing what he loses.  I hope he manages to sort it out though because he's very capable of a decent time at VLM but if he cramps up he will not do himself justice.

Another chiro session for me today.  Have had three now, and he is pleased with progress.  Everything is looking (and feeling) a lot more aligned and apparently it's now only my lumbar 5 vertebra that is still slightly out of kilter.  Hopefully after this week I will go to one session the following week, then maybe one two weeks after that.  Which will be good, because it's getting excruciatingly expensive at £30 a session!

Eyes seem to be on the mend.  I woke up on Saturday morning looking like I'd been punched in the face.  Both eyes were half closed and puffed up underneath, and the drops every two hours didn't seem to do anything.  I went for my run and obviously couldn't use any drops while I was doing it, so didn't put any in for about 4 hours or so - and my eyes were MUCH better, puffiness reduced.  So stopped using the drops apart from once more that day and eyes looked a bit better yesterday although there were still 'pockets' of fluid underneath.  I think I may have viral rather than bacterial conjunctivitis which would explain why it didn't really respond to the antibiotic drops and seemed to get worse.  Hubby had it once and remembered the same.  So now I'm only using Optrex drops to keep the eyes lubricated as although much better and no puffiness today, they still feel slightly dry and scratchy.  Fingers crossed over the worst of it now - horrible!

CM, well done to J on the hurdles AND the spellings.  Good for him!  Kit's been in a bit of trouble at school for fighting in the playground.  This isn't like him at all and they haven't really got to the bottom of it but it does seem to be something to do with another child I'd already spoken about to Kit's teacher a while ago, as Kit had told me this child had pushed him a few times and had pulled the hood off his coat.  Kit has made a 'best' friend called Christopher, and I think part of the issue is that he is rather possessive of Christopher and doesn't like it when other children want to play with him.  Anyway, we have talked to Kit about fighting and that it's wrong, and have tried to explain that Christopher might want to be friends with and play with other children as well as Kit and that that is fine.  I think he understands, and everything was fine today apparently (I had a word with his teacher).  I hope that will be the end of it as Kit really isn't an aggressive or naughty child.  He was VERY sheepish when confronted about it!

• Thanks for your kind comments girls. I am feeling much happier this week. I have been in touch with one Mum and we were going to meet yesterday but her son has suspected whooping cough so we decided it was prob not a good idea. We are going to rearrange for when I am back from Mum's. Mum's hip replacement went well - she was texting away as soon as she got back to her room so sounds like she came through it well. Today they are getting her mobilised and will know how long she will need to stay in hospital. Matilda and I are heading home on Thursday - 3 hours on a bus could be interesting (hubby needs car and we only have one at present).
    Day started badly today - first M was sick in my hair whilst in my bed this am then wrestling a grumpy baby with pooey nappy - poo everywhere!! Had to end up washing her in the sink!! Broke garage door temporarily as hubby insists on jamming things in it so that noone can lever it up and I forget and press the open button. This is NZ for god sake - he needs to learn to be a little less paranoid!! Mega grumps continued and missed nap as I had a registration appointment at Dr's. New DR is lovely and Matilda behaved very well so I have decided to re-start my day! Should be getting boxes delivered today or tomorrow but the delivery company only tells you on the day they are coming so we are stuck here. Although it looks like it won't be today now I guess so will be stuck in all day tomorrow as well. Oh well sun is shining!
    Re. friends, I have friends all over the place having lived and studied here, spent 8 years in UK and now back home, it's just that none of them are in New Plymouth. Everyone seems to be lining themselves up for a visit though so we have people coming over easter and then another friend from UK in mid April. Skyped one of my best friends yesterday and talked to the other. Hubby has met a few climbing people so far and is joining the Mountaineering club so will meet more. I think we will join as a family as I think they do quite social things.
    Still not heard anything about first job I applied for and it's been 10 days so not hopeful. Will phone at end of the week. Shame as it was the one I think would be most amenable to working 4 days and also is my industry.

Grrr to taking money where they shouldn't Caro! Just a waste of time having to sort it out.
    MM - what level coaching qual are you doing? Is it through UK althetics? There is such a huge discrepancy between different sports and what you are required to do for different levels. Was a constant issue in my old job.
    CM - well done to J. Sounds like he is a determined chap and not one to give up which is a great quality.

Right, very long winded this morning - can you tell it's nap time and I can't be bothered doing chores! I want to bake a cake but scales are in boxes we are waiting for. Should just go and buy a bar of choc as lets face it that's the only reason I want to bake - to eat it all! I am going to go and find the FB group - will be lovely to put some faces to names!
  • Oh and please could someone tell me how to find the FB group? Couldn't seem to find it!
  • Cm - my sis runs the campsite for her mil, if you google church house farm crossgates you should find it.
    Caro- how the heck can HR/ payroll screw things up when they are the 'experts'! how would your boss would feel if customers needed to tell you how to stitch a wound....
    Hoggle - runners world running mums on Facebook, type it into the search bar at the top and you should find it although you may have to ask to join? I think? Hope you have some luck on the job front. There is a list on here with all our 'real' names on somewhere!
  • CM - for the sake of my sanity Aidan is still in the pram, he has finally started moving a bit more quickly but he doesn't do a lot of mileage yet (he's not 3 until Oct but I think he will still be using the pram a bit then!)
    Well done to J for the hurdles, I love it when they suddenly 'get' something like that. Martha is getting to grips with hopping here!

Caro - that's crap, hope they sort it out quickly for you!

Hoggle -glad your mum is okay. Why is your hubby jamming the garage door?? Made me laugh - that kind of thing happens here.

Lotte - hope your parents are on the mend and you are still well!

Poor old Martha just did a bit of sick when she coughed, think its because her tonsils are up a bit and they are normally huge anyway. Yuk.
  • Well I have realised I need to get a cab as I need the car seats to get a cab to take the kids to nursery (and back to school) and then myself on to work tomorrow. And then i need to repeat it in reverse in the evening. And because i will be doing school run there will be no chance to pick the car up tomorrow if it is ready so will have to do it all over again on thurs. This is when being on your own is a nightmare and not having any local friends you can call on. My good friend is 10 miles away and can't help with school runs as she is managing her own. There isn't anyone else locally that I know well enough to ask really.
  • I am finding this useful: http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/

We are going to struggle with our Mondeo and fitting 3 in and we don't really want to splash out on a flipping huge car so are going to have to try all the alternative seats to see if they will fit across the back - which does have three 3 point seat belts at least.

Anyway - my point being that if you are in a taxi then its not a legal requirement for children to use car seats from what I can see. Let me know if I have got that wrong! I'm so risk adverse now I have kids I probably wouldn't want to take the chance but in an emergency its useful to know the facts!
  • Thanks Kinsey. I was only going to take E's car seat anyway. She is not on a booster seat yet as not heavy enough. Also it is possible that N might get down tomorrow so if I leave the car seat at nursery tomorrow then he may be able to pick her up for me if her car seat is there. I dont mind a taxi without a car seat if I am holding her etc but not free range in someone else's car!

I can't even run to pick my car up at the moment. Not that I could when I have E with me anyway. The logistics of these things are ridiculous. Makes your realise how tenuous your daily arrangements are! I don't like not having any contingency. And on a normal week the kids would be with t tomorrow night but he is abroad so they are with me. Which is obviously fab but in these circumstances more tricky!!
  • Well the good news is we are getting £3700 cash from the insurance company to pay for repairs to damage caused by the leak. But basically we can use that money for anything, we don't actually have to use it to repair the damage, so it can go towards a new bathroom, and we don't actually have to get a coving expert out to repair the Victorian coving in the hall and then repaper the large wall downstairs and all the way up the stairs unless we want to.
    So that's 2/3 a new bathroom paid for I hope!

Spoke to HR who fobbed me off immediately and told me to call payroll, so called them who completely agreed with me and said she knew she was doing it wrong, but she had contacted HR a couple of months ago to ask for clarification on the matter and got no reply. So now she is speaking to HR and will call me back. At least she knows I am right and agreed with me, and I did say that I had clarified this with HR several months ago myself.