Mums Running Club

Comments

• oh and E came out with another corker tonight in the chipshop on the way back from the library: 'Mummy, will you blow my big sausage when we get home?'. good job we were the only people in the place at the time!!

J then asked N, when we got back, whether his wife had dumped him. fortunately we all laughed about that one! i asked where J had got the term 'dumped' from. and he said 'well, Ruby used to be my girlfriend, but then she dumped me and went off with Chloe'. image

• Well if she isn't CM nursery will soon let him know, and then it's HIS problem, not yours......hope she's better though, for her sake not his obviously.

TB glad E's laser treatment is over for the time being. At least you know what to expect next time. I guess in a way you dont want him to remember and start to get upset next time you go back. Hopefully he's too young for that.

Well I haven't stopped all day! Went to a playgroup we dont often go to this morning, to see a friend so that I could leave M there whilst I took Eric for his Drs check up about his belly button, to make life easier for me. Dr agreed that belly button looked a lot better after the cream, but still cauterised a small bit of it. Then rushed back to collect M, rush home force feed her lunch at breakneck speed before pre school. Fortunately hubby was at home today (more of that later!) so he could drop her at pre school whilst I then walked with Eric in the opposite direction for my last MW appt and to have him weighed. He is now 8lb 1 oz, having gained half a pound since birth which I am well chuffed about - but he needs to fit into the 99 yr old family christening gown on March 25th so cant get too big!

Asked MW to check my stitches, expecting her to say all was well, as they dont sting nearly as much now, and I can sit down pain free etc, but in her opinion there was still a bit of an infection there, so she said get more antibiotics from the GP! Given that I had already seen the GP with Eric that morning I REALLY didnt want to bother her again, and by the time I phoned the surgery she ahd gone home anyway. Spoke to another Dr, hoping that he'd just say oh I'm sure it's ok, given that the initial swab was negative (the dr took a swab on the first visit) but no, he said ring up on Fri morning and come in and see the Dr! So now I have to go back on Fri, the woman will think I'm nuts as it will have been the 4th visit in 2 wks (2 for me, 2 for Eric!). She'll think I've got munchaussens syndrome or something! Anyway, whilst I was there this morning I mentioned that my pelvis was sore and getting worse and that I felt like an old lady, and she assumed like I did that it is musculoskeletal, but she did say she was surprised it seemed to be getting worse after the birth as in most women it gets better then. So she made sure I wasn't lifting heavy things, or exercising - I mean walking a slow 1.7 miles most days is NOT my idea of exercise and I'd go mad doing nothing! - and she said keep an eye on it and come back if it got worse.

Then I met a friend for coffee which was a welcome sit down, before going home, collecting M from school and doing a few chores, going to costco etc as we have friends coming tomorrow for 3 nights.

Fortunately Eric went down at 7pm and not a peep out of him since(!) so at least we've had a quiet evening. Bed v soon!

I got a 2nd letter from the council this morning, accusing me of not sending my 3 proofs of residence blah blah, so I immediately called the, and triple checked that all was fine - it is apparently. I also got in the post today my THIRD copy of a GP patient survey to fill in - all 3 have been identical, so it went straight in the bin (now I know where my taxes get spent!)

Anyway, enough from me! Feeling a bit wired, hoping for a less hectic day tomorrow.
  • Oh yes, and the reason hubby was home today is because he got knocked off his bike on the way to work this morning, car pulled out of side rd straight into him. His arm is a bit stiff, and bike damaged, but only cost £20 to fix. Basta*ds didnt stop. So he worked from home today.
  • Haha CM, your kids are hilarious!  Hope E better tomorrow and your back holds out.

Lotte, worrying about your Mum, hugs and hope she is going to be OK.

MM, woo hoo to your progress, have you pulled out of London?

Hoggle, look forward to seeing you on FB, good luck with your trip to see your Mum.

JT, what is it that you think is wrong with Ted?  I think you gave a name last week but I didn't recognise it.

TB - makes my blood run cold the idea of anything at all happening to Max so hugs to you and all the rest of you who have had to endure GA and the like.

CC - what a productive day, hope you have fun with your friends tonight.

I know it is what we all say when a birthday comes up but I really can not believe that Max can possibly be 2 tomorrow.  Despite him discovering stroppiness and deciding to use it a few times a day, he is an absolute joy at the moment.  He is developing so fast and is so much fun.  Not sure if I posted this already but he discovered he could get out of his cot on Monday night.  He was crying and we left him to it for a while but when I finally went in to him he was just behind his bedroom door as he couldn't see the handle in the dark.  Time for him to move to his big boy bed I think!

So many birthdays at this time of year!  I know why Max's is now (my birthday is in June image), what's everyone else's excuse??

• X-post Caro, exhausted just reading about your day!  Glad your husband is OK, hope your issues are all better very soon.
  • Oh my god, my company is no 69 in the times top 100 companies to work for 2012!

No one asked me.......

Happy birthday max for tomorrow image
  • Haha CM, your daughter will be on the stage when she is older!!!!! We used reins on eldest which my sis hooked over her finger one day to stop him running off in a shop once - obviously feeling thwarted he turned and yelled 'stop fingering me!!!!'.
    Caro - glad hubby is OK, rude that driver didn't stop!! Pity the midwife couldn't swab again and just get GP to write up a script without needing to see again.
    Great running - and even those on the bench are getting back to it a bit!
    TTid, so funny when they climb out and then don't quite know what to do with themselves! If he can climb out you may need to put side down so at least he won't fall far! I conceived Tom as didn't use protection having tried for yrs with no success previously so purely linked to meeting hubby when I did, Archie arrived 9 months after our wedding/honeymoon.... Partly helped by the prayers I said in the Vatican and partly helped by the copious quantity of wine I drank while there.
    Don't know how many of you manage with no friends or family nearby or only having 1 car and relying on buses etc.
    Hope sickies feel better soon (but secretly hope E is not quite well enough to go to nursery just to eff up T's day....)
    crazy days at work this wk catching up and no real sign of getting on top of things....
  • Forgot to say hope your mum is ok Lotte and to TB hugs to E while you wait to see if it is worked.
  • Sending get well wishes to Lotte's mum too, hope she's doing okay.

TT - Anna started climbing out of her cot one afternoon a month or so ago and I was worried she'd start doing it all the time but surprisingly, or should I say luckily, she hasn't done it since. Maybe Max will forget he can do it too and you might get a few more months of keeping the cot - fingers crossed!

Caro - shocking that the driver didn't even stop. I keep toying with the idea of cycling to work but there are so many idiots on the road especially in central London that I'm terrified something like that (or worse) would happen to me. When hubby worked in town he used to cycle every day and if he was ever more than 5 minutes late I'd start panicing that he'd been knocked off his bike and something awful had happened. Do you think it might be worth a couple of days of doing nothing at all to see if it makes any difference to your pelvis. I know it's not in your nature but maybe worth a try ...?

JT - imageHappy Birthday to the running group. Do you still have some of the same people from when you started? Must be nice to see how people are improving with your help and guidance.

TB - laser treatment sounds awful for all of you, but kids are amazingly resilient so hopefully as Caro says he won't remember too much about what has happened so if he has to go for more he'll be okay (even if you're in bits again).

Kinsey - well done to Martha on the competition. Issie won a prize at school this week too for a drawing she did for World Book Day. It was a lovely picture and all but I have to say I think the fact that it was judged by the headteacher who is Welsh and that we sent Issie to school in her Welsh girl outfit for St David's Day last week may have given us the edge. 

As for the funny things kids say, Anna has been walking around all evening saying "No, you idiot" to everybody and everything and finding it very funny. I then realised she probably got it from me as certainly sounds like something I'd say when driving the car image, oops.

Running still going well here, in fact now that I've gone down from running at an incline of 2 on the dreadmill to 1.5 it's much more enjoyable - who knew that just 0.5 of an incline would make such a difference, don't know why I didn't try it before. I am having to drop a weekend run though, just recently when I've been going out for my weekend runs have had both the little ones pleading with me not to go. As I feel like all I do is leave them makes it extra hard to go and leaves me feeling selfish and guilty. So I'm having to add another lunchtime dreadmill run and will just run on Saturdays instead. On the plus side means I can have an extra glass of vino Saturday nights and not have to worry about getting up for a run on Sundays image.

• Goodness can't keep up again.

Big hugs to Lotte and your Mum, any more more news?

Also hugs for TB, I so hope it works lovely. He is a clever lad though by the sound of your post on FB so he will get through it. Sophie can count to 10 and seems to recognised some numbers. She loves 8 and 9 for some reason?? She also knows pink and blue, but guesses the other colours!!

Sophie is saying some hilarious things too now she can string sentences together. When we getting ready and I say time to go, she says 'Alright Mummy' in that teenage drone kids have. She's got that from Harry. Makes me chuckle everytime. Must admit I've been in stitches thinking of E trying to hit you while walking along CM. Bless her!!

Caro. I can't believe the time you're having at the moment. So tough for you all with a new born. I do hope everything get better soon, and yes cannot believe your company makes the top 100!!

Karen can you not get up at silly o'clock again that way you don't miss the kids? or just go once they're in bed? The boys hate Daddy going out running and cycling at the weekends too.

The boys conception and Sophie's were pretty much non events if I'm honest. Sophie did only take 3 days of trying (i.e. once) to conceive. Unlike the boys which took 18 months and 2 miscarriages.

Can't remember anything else sorry girls.

100 lengths for me this morning, got to pool when it opened at 7am. Home by 8.10am, Sophie to nursery, kids to school, just had brekkie, now for exercises and stretching and off to see podiatrist in Marlow which is a long drive, but important to check my orthotics aren't the problem.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Goodness, what busy lives we all lead!  Loving some of the comments the little ones are coming out with at the moment - you had me in stitches, CM!  Kit's classic was when he had his pre-school boosters at the doctor, and I had tried to prepare him and downplay the whole event by saying that it would just be a little prick on his skin and that would be it.  He came out of the surgery and into the waiting room and announced at the top of his voice, "My little prick is hurting, Mummy!"  image

Karen, I know what you mean about feeling guilty.  Especially now that hubby has taken up rowing, I feel Kit takes second place to us and our activitiies at the weekends sometimes.  And with the marathon training, I'm doing a 10-mile run after work on Wednesday evenings, so I need to try and get out quickly once I get back from work which means I see Kit for about half an hour.  But it's only for a few weeks and I do my other runs either when he's at school or when he's in bed (apart from Sunday mornings, when I go early) so I do try to make sure my running doesn't cut into time with him too much.  He's a very happy little boy so must be doing something right I guess!  He has gone up another level with his reading books and is still racing through them, very proud of him.  And I was gobsmacked the other night when he counted to 30 in German!  I knew he could do it in French but had no idea anyone had taught them any German!

Lotte, hope your mum is OK.

Kit's conception something of a non-event too.  Had been trying for about 18 months I think, and we were on holiday in Turkey when it happened.  Didn't know for several weeks, of course, that I'd come back from Turkey with more than I'd gone with!  Must have been the fact that we were both relaxed and not really thinking about it that made it happen.  The weird thing was that we worked out later that the day of conception was the same day that we got a call from hubby's parents to say that his Nainie had passed away (she was 95) - almost like her departure was to make room for a new arrival.

Caro, hope things improve for you soon.  Can't believe someone knocked your hubby off his bike and didn't even stop - outrageous! 

MM, well done on the swim and hope podiatrist appointment goes OK and it's not your orthotics that are the problem.  I have another chiro appointment tonight, must say everything is feeling a lot better.  I did have a slight niggle under left buttock last night but much less than it was before, and now my hamstrings are no longer tight which is fab.  Chiro did say initially he didn't think tight hamstrings were the cause of my problems, but were a symptom of problems in my lower back, and it seems he was right because now that he has loosened everything there my hamstrings don't even ache after a run - bliss!

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Actually loving the sound of those weekends away your hubby does annually, CC - I think that's great!  Love the idea of the black-tie meal somewhere extreme!  Likewise rowing involves a large chunk of our Saturday, as even a standard 'tidal flow' session means hubby is out of the house by 7:30am and usually not back until noon.  Obviously my long runs are taking longer at the moment but usually on a Sunday morning I am back home by 10:00.

Now the weather is getting better I'm seeing a lot of wildlife on my runs too, especially bird life on the long runs as I do these around the River Lee Country Park.  Spring is definitely in the air as there are a lot of frisky birds around at the moment!  Also muntjack deer and lots of bunnies!

Did 10 miles last night, about 30 seconds slower than last week but I ran the route in reverse as due to the cambered pavements around my way my chiro has advised alternating the direction of my running routes so my legs get an even amount of wear and tear.  I'd say although my evening 10-mile route is roughly 5 miles downhill and 5 miles uphill, the uphill sections on the reverse route are steeper - there's one hill that's particularly challenging but fortunately it's not too long.  It was SO nice to run pretty much pain-free and my legs felt a lot looser too, as though I could take proper strides whereas I've felt for a long time that my stride on the left side has been compromised by the tight hamstring.

• Well needless to say the 69th best company in the uk to work for are now trying to get out of paying for my childcare vouchers, even as I keep pointing out to them by doing so they are breaking the law. There is an excellent hmrc web page spelling it out in black and white, and also saying that if any non cash benefits are denied a woman on maternity leave then there is a claim for sex discrimination. The lady I have been dealing with does payroll for several companies, and she said that the other companies she deals with just pay it and accept it. So at the moment she is talking to her boss wo is in turn talking to HR and they are trying to sort it. Well I let her know in no uncertain terms that I would be getting legal advice if they didn't pay it. Apparently I am the first employee to ever question this.........according to the times yesterday the company has 880 employees, 85%. Of whom are women!! She also said what they may do is pay it, but make employees sign something to say they will give it back if they don't return to work......well they certainly can't do that retrospectively in my case because they've suddenly realise they're going to have to give me £2500 in vouchers. Even if they tried to do that for future employees it's still not allowed, but most people prob wouldn't question it.
  • Lotte - thinking of your mum, hope she is on the mend.

Caro - that's pretty outrageous. Plus its frustrating that you have to stay on top of this instead of them taking care of their legal responsibilities.

House of sickness here again. I think mine might be hayfever?? Martha's cough a bit better but she is a green snot monster today. Aidan also bunged up.
    Hubby back Saturday. I'm SO tired. Even going back to bed for an hour this morning when they were at playschool doesn't seem to have helped.

• Caro - are they trying to argue it is a cash benefit?
    Well done to fab runs, boo to redoing work (cm))
    Have a toddler coughing like a seal so could be a long night.......
  • God knows camlo, but it is written in lain English on the hmrc website

When an employee is on statutory maternity or adoption leave, all of the terms and conditions of their employment contract continue to apply, other than those relating to wages or salary.
    This applies to all non-cash benefits in the contract, including any that form part of a salary sacrifice arrangement. You must continue to provide these benefits in the same way as if the employee was still at work.
    For example, if you agree a salary sacrifice arrangement that involves an employee losing £50 per week of their salary in return for £50 of vouchers, you will have to continue to provide those vouchers throughout any statutory maternity or adoption leave that the employee takes.
    You cannot reduce the amount of any statutory payments due to the employee to recover the cost of providing any non-cash benefits to them while they are on maternity or adoption leave.
    Please note that these provisions apply to childcare vouchers in exactly the same way as to any other non-cash benefits.
  • And just incase you're bit thick like my HR dept, they provide handy examples

Example 5 – employee entitled to SMP, but not entitled to any Occupational Maternity Pay [OMP]; has contractual entitlement to childcare vouchers and gym membership (contractual non-cash benefits); and requests employer to deduct union subscription of £5 per week from salary or wages. What must the employer pay and provide to the employee during Statutory Maternity Leave?
    OML (weeks 1 – 26) - Employer (a) must pay SMP; (b) must continue to provide the non-cash benefits (childcare vouchers and gym membership) he was obliged to provide in the period before statutory maternity leave; and (c) may continue to deduct union subscription £5 per week from the SMP.
    AML (weeks 27 – 39) – employer (a) must pay SMP; (b) must continue, following the amendments to Regulations in 2008, to provide the non-cash benefits (childcare vouchers and gym membership) he was obliged to provide in the period before statutory maternity leave; and (c) may continue to deduct union subscription £5 per week from the SMP.

AML (weeks 40 – 52) – employer (a) must stop paying SMP (not payable beyond week 39); (b) must continue, following the amendments to Regulations in 2008, to provide the non-cash benefits (childcare vouchers and gym membership) he was obliged to provide in the period before statutory maternity leave; and (c) can no longer deduct union subscription £5 per week as employee has no SMP or OMP or other salary or wages to deduct them from.

• Lidl r doing some running stuff from Monday if any1 interested. Tx
  • Hello, I'm struggling to keep up at the moment!

Chynah, hope you're on the mend soon, it's been so long since you were 100% image

Lotte, hope you have had some positive results for your mum, thinking of you xx

MM, great news on your progress, and your swimming sounds good too image ! Maybe you should start triathlons?

CC, 24m tomorrow? ! Wow!

Kinsey, hope your back in't too bad. You too CM.

TallBird, gosh poor you, and poor Z. I hope there is a good outcome for him, without him being too traumatised.

Minks, great news about your legs, sounds like the chiro worked a treat.

And you, JT. And a year already! Great work image

TT, happy birthday to Max xx

I've been very good at doing my stretches. I've also done pilates every day this week, can deffo feel a difference in my hamstrings, but maybe I need to visit the chiro as well, in case it's my pelvis out of alignment. I'll see how I go at Bath 1/2 on Sun - hoping for sub 1:50 but 1:48 is 8:14 min/miling, which is probably beyond me on a bad day. I'll see how I go anyway. Hubby helpfully told me tnight I'd "never" make GFA this year! WTF?! I'm not sure he realised at the time it's 3:50.

Anyhow, must get back to the roller image I quite like it now, and ITB is so much less painful!
  • And Caro - are you sure that's your company???! That's cack! Terrible about your hubby's accident as well. Hope he's ok.

CC, hubby is going on a stag do to your part of the world! They're flying to Inverness and then renting a house near the Lech. I knew all about the area image
  • I'm struggling to keep up too!

Mum is out of hospital, thanks for all your thoughts. The CT scan was clear (phew) so they think that it is a 3rd nerve palsy probably triggered by a serious sinus infection. The scan showed that her sinus's are wrecked so she is being referred to ENT. She is on so heavy duty antibiotics for that and her chest is still bad. Will see how her eye responds over time, it might go back to normal or she might be left with some drooping and vision problems. At the moment she still has double vision and can't keep the eye open so she is not allowed to drive etc for the short term anyway.She isjust glad to be home,she was very emotional when she was in hospital. They have had to cancel their holiday, I'm glad though that it happened before they went and not while they were away.

CC - hope your run goes well tomorrow. Finally got a bus timetable and I see it stops at Elgin bus station and Forres tolbooth - which is easier for you? 

Happy birthday Max.

Totally shattered tonight, been a mad day and I have a stonking headache so apologies for the short post!

• CC & Lotte- are ya's gonna be in Inverness this weekend then???

CC - good luck on the 24 miler, yikes.

Lotte- hope there's been some improvement in your ma, poor thing.

Jo- you r hubby's weekend near inverness sounds nice image. Shame you weren't coming, we could meet up!!!  Good luck for your half this weekend, am also doing one but will not be anywhere near your time unfortunately!!! Must get a roller..........................

Caro- wow busy time for you. Try and get some time to rest if you can. Grrrrrrrrr to possibly more a/b's also, poor you. Your work sound as annoying as usual and incompetent. And thats rubbish about hubby getting knocked of his bike and them not stopping, terrible.

TB- oh that sounds soooooooo hard for you. Can't imagine how heart wrenching that must feel putting your child under a GA and then waiting for them. Hope the treatment helps.

TT - yeah noticed lidyl had running gear again soon. Their running stuff is good.

Hope all the injuries/niggles are on the mend.

Ruby complaining of sore legs and is also a bit wheezy so betta go and find inhaler and get her back into bed.

• CC & Lotte - cool I will meet ya's then. I will PM u my mobile number tomorrow on FB and maybe u could give me your numbers also. Think I will come up myself. I will be at registration for 12 so may bump into...............but maybe I wouldn't recognise you? !!!!!!! If not will meet at the end. Lotte will be finished ages before me!!!!!! image

Some toast and then bed to read, nite.

• ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

No running here as still very coldy image  Think I'm going to need a beginners back to running plan at this rate as been so long since I managed to get out regularly.

Caro - when I was (almost) in dispute with my employers over maternity pay etc HMRC had a dispute team who would persue this on your behalf - I got the number from ACAS and they were more than ready to take it on even though it was against another Gov Dept!  so might be worth giving them a call.

conception: first month  but then micarriage then one period and pregnant with N.  L was first (and only) try first month!

David Walliams is cool.

• Joh - I'm a bit embarassed to admit I'm also running my half this weekend, but will definitely be slower than yours, and my baby is about twice as old! Oh well, I think you were running faster than me when you were 7 months pregnant so I shouldn't really be surprised!

Lotte - glad your mum is back home, and fingers crossed it settles down again.

I am going to seriously indulge my hippy mothering side, and have ordered some plain silk scarves to dye and give to Isabelle as 'play silks'. Anyone else come across these?! I quite like the idea of imaginative play, and am constantly amazed by the things she comes up with so I thought we'd give it a go. It was sparked off by wanting to get her some dressing up clothes for her birthday, but I don't like that all the things you can buy seem to be set 'outfits' - like fairy, princess, doctor, vet, pirate etc. I have tasked my mum with searching the charity shops in their posher bit of the county to try and find some sparkly things, long gloves, fake fur etc to make up an old style dressing up box too!

The lidl near here always seems to have the running stuff left - don't think it's in an area where running is a high priority! - so happy to get stuff and post if others can't get hold of it. It's very near swimming so often go in on a Monday to see what's there.