Mums Running Club

Comments

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I agree, Tracey - anything I wore before that was low-waisted still fits fine. My hips are no bigger but my waist definitely is. After 4 months I'm sure I will probably still lose a little more weight, but the chances of me getting back into some of my smallest clothes seem fairly remote. But you never know.

I've stopped stressing about it now though - I am fully prepared to accept that my body shape may have changed permanently ... although it won't stop me having a shot at getting back to somewhere close to where I was! If I still don't get back there once my weekly running mileage equals what I was doing pre-pregnancy, then I'll just accept that I'm as slim as I'm going to be and that's it. I'm definitely not dieting - never have and never will. I like my food too much!
  • Someone mentioned (when DS was 4 months old) to me about wearing a corset pretty much as soon as you are out of hospital. Something to do with forcing the ribs and soft tissue back to where it should be. Apparrently it is something that celeb mums have done.

Note: I have no idea if it works or not or if it is just one of those crazy rumours that are started and someone mentioned it who haddn't tried it either.. I wouldn't want to try it as breast feeding was hard enough in mormal bras without wearing scaffolding too and I like to be able to breathe!!!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd want to try it either - especially not after having a C-section! I couldn't even wear 'normal' knickers for a while (i.e. non-Bridget Jones style) lt alone anything that compressed me still further!
  • I did get a flat stomach back after my first 2 doing lots of crunches, planks and aerobics teaching etc....just the waist was never the same. DH recons I actually looked better at 33 tone wise than when 23 when I had the tiny waist. But at 23 I was a gym bunny aerobics queen and never ran above 1 or 2 miles.

At 33 did more running than I ever had and a lot of weights as the gym I used to use offered a creche(now closed is the creche). Trained for a half marathon when most runs before this taianing had never been over 3 miles. And took part in local triathlons. In fact I never though of myself as a runner till the gym creche closed and my only constant training now is running with the pushchair or the turbo trainer in the garage.

I have never been less than a size 8 (only fell to that size when half mara training before i fell pregnant with no 3) and I will be happy when all my clothes fit not just the size 10 ones although there is not much left I can't wear now only a couple of paits of jeans.

I need to train for a half mara again as the last one I did was completed in 2 hours and 1 minute. I want to do under 2 hours so I'm not a super fast runner. Maybe when DS is in nursery I can do a marathon one day. My long run (with pushcahir) is back up to 8 miles so I will be building from there for our local half in October.

Oh dear I'm rambling now so I need to go as it is my tur to get the beer. Nice quiet eve in kids asleep and DH and I are treating ourself to a beer or too.
  • I useed a teutonina 3 wheeler style pushchair for the first 6 months with DS that I had for first DD who is now 6. It has a lie flat possition so it was Ok to start with and we were only going around a very flat steady block.

It was fine then for DD as then I only ran up to 2 miles with it maximum with the oldest and the rest of the time it was fab for dog walking but very heavy and big to lug in and out of the car. So for car we use a mothecare cheapn cheerfull buggy.

When I stared running 4 and 5 miles and was regularly coverind 3 miles 3 times a week I appealed for DH for a lighter pushchair specifically designed for running. So for DS at 6 months( this jogger is only suitable from 6 months+) we got a babbyjogger performance with the 20inch wheels.

It has a really long wheelbase, reclines for an older child to sleep, has a good firm harness and the sun cannoppy is very good as it is in 3 pieces and you can almost pull it over them completely. So no worries if the hat won't stay on. Ours came with a raincover and some sheepskin covers for the straps. For running it is great, if the wind is behind you it runs itself (so I always attach the saftey strap to my knickers). It is hard to jog into wind but more streamlined than my other. In my first month I have taken 3-4 mins of the longer run times and my 5k best this year is 25.20 without 26.19 with pushchair and it was nearly 30 mins with the older jogger.So I recomend it for running and dog walking. I managed to get it for around £250 online with the accessories but I think money well spent as 4 of 5 runs each week are with it.
    Nugative side it is quite big and you would need a big boot to drive it anywhere and the front big wheel gets in the way when I nip to the shops but I have a small buggy to do this job if needed.

Must go DS ready for bed now and crying. Feel free to ask further Q's if needed
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Janie - what are Pushymums classes?

Tracey, your baby jogger sounds really good. We haven't got one, mainly because we have to keep Kit's main pushchair in the boot of the car due to lack of space in the house so definitely wouldn't have room for two buggies! Also, I decided once he was born that running time would be time out for myself - I guess I'm fairly lucky though in that hubby is happy for me to run three evenings during the week when he gets home from work so I don't have to worry about having to find time during the day. If I did then I would certainly look into the idea of a baby jogger.

I took Kit on the Tube yesterday. Hubby's colleagues have been demanding that he take Kit in at some point, so I decided to bite the bullet. He was a little angel! He slept most of the way and was charming everyone with his smiles and gurgling noises while he was in hubby's office. Made me realise though how bad the Tube is in terms of access for disabled people (and mums with pushchairs!) There are stairs EVERYWHERE. I simply had no choice but to rely on the kindness of fellow passengers to help me up and down flights of stairs. I hate appearing helpless but there's no way I could have managed on my own. More ramps are needed!! I won't be doing that again in a hurry though ...
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Sounds good Janie! I have to say that IF I ever have another baby I will find it very hard to believe any midwife who tells me my baby is cephalic and engaged - I had three midwives all tell me that and Kit was undiagnosed breech. There's no way he turned at the last minute either - there was absolutely no room for him to do so as I was literally all baby, and I definitely would have felt it. But I hope yours have got it right!

Apart from my waist, I am pretty much back to how I was pre-pregnancy now. I tried on clothes I couldn't get done up a month or two ago and they now fit fine - if anything are a bit loose again. I can even get into my smallest jeans but have to say I've completely gone off them! Had them a good few years before I got pregnant and they just look kind of wrong now. I wanted to be able to get back into them just to know I could get back to where I was pre-pregnancy so mission accomplished - now it's time to go shopping I think! It's amazing that in the few weeks I've been back running (four now) my figure really seems to have come back - and I've only been running about 10 miles a week as have had to build up slowly due to hurting my back by trying to do too much too soon. So glad I can run again - I really missed it!
  • Well done Minks, good to hear you are back on the road and comfortable with your shape, not sure I'll ever reach that happy place ;-)

I'm running the Wycombe Half Marathon in 2 wks, my goal is to try and run a half in under 2hrs by the end of the year, so I’m looking forward to this.
    Apparently you are supposed to be able to run faster Post-Natally, I've not found it to be true althoughI might have the odd spurt when I think about how much my babysitter is costing.

Almost back to my post-pregnancy weight I just have to try and be a bit more disciplined with the junk food.
    I love biscuits and cakes and used to be able to get away with it when I could train for longer.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Me too Tonia; realised the other week that I was eating as though I was running 40 miles a week, not 10! Have stopped buying biscuits and cakes, which I craved towards the end of my pregnancy. Interestingly I've now gone off them again.

Actually, I've found looking after a baby is great for the waistline - I barely have time to think about food. Certainly no time to sit around snacking - I'm lucky if the little fella lets me get lunch in some days!

Good luck with the half marathon. I haven't even thought about racing yet - probably won't do so until the beginning of next year as I feel my fitness has a long way to go before I feel able to do myself justice in a race. Not expecting PBs when I first start back but would like to manage a decent time for my own self-esteem.
  • Hello, please may I join in??

Just starting running again after a 10month break due to having a wee little baby! Completed a 49.22 8K the day before I found out I was PG but finding it hard work/...like starting all over again!

Need a good support crew!

Viki
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Viki (and Janie) - DON'T try to do too much too soon, or worry about pace or what you were doing pre-pregnancy. How soon you can start again will depend on the kind of birth you have and how you feel in the first few weeks after the little one arrives.

I had great intentions of being Superfit Supermum - back running within a week or two of the baby arriving - but the reality was rather different. I had an unexpected C-section which, looking back, really knocked the stuffing out of me. I tried to carry on as normal, not really resting much or allowing others to wait on me, and in retrospect I was really shattered. Started back running after about 6 weeks - despite being advised by the hospital to wait 4-5 months! I was shocked at how slow I was and how unfit I felt, especially as I'd managed to carry on doing a small amount of running until 32 weeks pregnant.

Rather than taking it slowly I launched straight back in to doing 4 runs of 3 miles each per week. This lasted two weeks before I strained my back. I don't know if I did it running or if I did it lifting Kit in his car seat and the running exacerbated it, but on the advice of an osteopath I stopped again completely for two weeks. Lesson learned, I built up much more gradually as soon as I started back again.

I completely forgot about what I was doing before (I ran a 3:23 marathon the month before I conceived) and went right back to basics following a beginners' schedule. I'm much better when I follow a schedule and am not tempted to do anything other than what is down in black and white. I've now been running again for four weeks and am happy to report no further back problems. You have to remember that the hormone relaxin that softens all your joints and ligaments in preparation for the baby's passage through the birth canal can remain in your body for about 6 months after the birth, making you much more susceptible to injury.

My first few runs were at around 9:30 minute miles, and now I'm able to run 7:45 pace once I'm well warmed up. I haven't pushed it though - I've let the pace return naturally as my fitness slowly returns.

My advice would be to take it slower than you think you need to. You have the rest of your life to be a runner again - why rush it?
  • Hi Jane and Minks, thanks for the welcome.

Jane, good luck for the impending addition to your family. Dont worry too much about rushing out the door to get back to running. You will need to take it easy for the first couple of months, if not just due to lack of sleep!! My little one is 9 weeks old today and I haven't slept for more that 3hrs at a time for 2months! It is surprising how quickly you get used to so little though and they are all worth it.

Minks, I hear what you are saying about the aspirations of being a superfit supermum. I also have a 2.5 yr old and it took me 18months before I started running again after he was born so I have been committed to not leaving it so long this time around. I have been taking it really easy and mainly doing run/walk sessions to ease my body back in. That first post baby run is a real eyeopener for the reality of the effects of pregnancy. I felt sooooo unfit! I do agree though that there is no rush and there is no shame in taking it slow and easy.
  • Hi
    I eased myself soooooo gently back in to running but I think it is paying off now. I started at 7 weeks post birth after I had got the all clear from my gyno. Even though I have been running since I was nine(with a huge break from 18 - 30) I started back with walking breaks. I never felt like I really needed to walk (and had to swallow my pride to do this)but was ultimately so excited about getting back into running that I didn't want to jeapordise things. I am now running normally (6 months on) 5 times a week and have done 2 races which have gone well. I think come Autumn I will be back to where I was.
    I was also surprised at how unfit I was but it seemed to come back quickly. I had a natural birth to a heavy baby and I remember it feeling weird down below the first time out as if something may fall out. I was fairly good the first 6 weeks at doing pelvic floor exercises.
    I love my running "me" time...I have to fight for it at times and have become an opportunist...I will run at the drop of a hat whether the sun is beating down, it is late at night, I have just eaten etc otherwise I would probably only manage 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I wish I could just shut my eyes while I am running!
  • Thought would join in. Not much time for forums as my two are so mobile now am rushed off my feet, presently sitting quietly playing together so nows my chance!

I started back at 4 weeks, but was very hard. I jogged until 26 weeks then walked and swam, but even so. Started off with 10 minutes, of run 3 mins, walk 1min. then progressed up to 20 mins before I attempted to run without without a break. Am now up to 50 mpw, and entered a half in October when boys will be 1.

I find it hard though as the boys are exhausting, even though they sleep very well, I fall into bed by the end of the day.

Good to hear you are doing so well Minks. I am still 7lbs heavier (now 7 stone 13) than before pregnancy but can live with that for now, am useless at dieting as love my food far too much!

My two are still pretty small for their age 16lb and 18lb at nearly 9 months, but that just means being so light they get themselves round the room rather quickly!!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear from you, MM - wondered whether you'd find this forum! Just checked and I've actually been back running for 6 weeks now, not 4! Time flies! My longest run is still only 4.5 miles but gradually upping the distance each week. Interestingly I seem to be a little quicker than I was pre-pregnancy although I definitely lost a lot of my former stamina. It's slowly coming back, but I still have days where I feel quite tired and heavy - probably just due to the demands of being a mum and never getting out for my run before about 7:15pm, which is later than I'm used to and I'm also starving by then!

MM, I'm still heavier than pre-pregnancy too, by about 4-5lb (now 7 stone 4-5lb instead of 7 stone). I don't much care what I weigh, it's how I look and how my clothes fit that matters to me. I can just about get into my smallest jeans (which were a bit loose when I last marathon trained) but wouldn't wear them as they feel uncomfortable and don't look that flattering! It's mainly my waist that's bigger but I guess that's to be expected.

Kit is now 14lb 1oz at just over 4 months old. He's doing really well and after a blip last weekend where he woke up constantly all through the night, is now pretty much sleeping through the night again. He woke up this morning at 5am and although I went into his room, he settled himself back to sleep after a couple of minutes without needing me to intervene. I have a feeling he may be an early mover: he's SO strong, and every time I try to sit him down on my lap or in his bouncy chair, he puts his feet down and pushes himself to a standing position. He's also holding his head really steady when sitting, and tries to lean forward in his chair to retrieve his toys if he drops them. I find it amazing how much progress they make in such a short space of time.

Janie, I went on to the Hal Higdon website (www.halhigdon.com) and under Training Schedules, went to Beginner and then the Novice Supreme marathon schedule: a 30-week programme designed to take you from beginner to marathon. The first few weeks (which I'm doing at the moment) are ridiculously easy - runs of 1.5 miles - but I decided it was worth being over-cautious if it meant the difference between being able to run and being sat at home with a bad back. You can always modify the schedule a bit if you find it too tedious.
  • Yes I am constantly amazed by their progress. They munch their way through so much food like bread, carrots and beans with only 2 teeth which is great to watch. Harry particularly loves bread and stuffs it into his face.

Our two slept through from 11pm till 7am from 12 weeks and from 7pm till 7am from 5.5 months. Much as I love them it is great when they go to bed!! We have also had a few teething bad nights but they are very few, I feel very lucky to have such good sleepers. Makes all the difference for running.

Have done 3 10ks all around 41 mins, so a wee way off where I should be, but did a 7 mile race last week in 46 mins, which is getting better.

Only down side with my two as they are still very sicky babies. They don't seem to have a full switch so I find it very hard. Now they are mobile its even worse than before, little possets everywhere, and not just milk obviously! Fish and cheese is really bad! Have tried gaviscon but that makes it worse so looks like have to wait till they grow out of it. Joy!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Sounds like we're all doing well - babies too! MM, I'm impressed that your two slept through from 11pm to 7am from 12 weeks! Kit managed it a couple of times at about 10 weeks but then couldn't seem to get beyond 5am for a while. We didn't start feeding him in the night again and he usually resettled with his dummy, but this all went a bit pear-shaped once he started pulling it out of his mouth and throwing it on the floor, then yelling for it!

From last week (after the blip where he was waking almost every hour) I started putting him down in his cot fully awake, rather than soothing him into a state of semi-sleep first, and allowing him to settle himself to sleep. Since I started doing this he's slept much better both during the day and at night. I think we just weren't giving him the opportunity to get himself off to sleep on his own, as at the first murmur we'd be there stroking his head or giving him his dummy. He'll now settle himself back to sleep if he wakes in the night - unless (like last night) he has some trapped wind and is uncomfortable.

CC, good to hear from you. My 10K PB is 43 as well - would love to run 41 minutes! MM was super-speedy pre-pregnancy though - I doubt I'll ever be that fast and at the moment racing and PBs are not priorities. I relish just having the time to run, and enjoy the fact that it now feels SO much more comfortable than during pregnancy. I can run more than a mile without needing a loo stop, which is so refreshing! And this time last year I had to stop during my runs to throw up into the nearest bush! Seems mad now that the smell of vegetables made me vomit - had roasted veg and pasta tonight for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed it, yet had to ban hubby from cooking it a year ago!

Not sure my waist will ever be as small again, but not sure I care any more. My belly button is definitely permanently stretched - it used to be neat and round, now it's elongated and the top half sticks out very slightly. But a small price to pay for my beautiful baby boy. C-section scar has faded a lot - hubby calls it Kit's escape hatch and says it looks like a smile :-)
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Last post makes it sound as though I still need loo stops, just less frequently - not the case! Haven't had to stop at all - yet ...
  • Hi all, everyone seems to be doing so well, I always know there'll be lots of positive stuff here.

Hard to believe the little one is 9 months and got 8 teeth already! This time last year I was moaning about being pregnant in the heat!

I'm selling at my local NCT sale on Saturday. I've never been before but I'm hoping I can clear out some of the excessive baby things in my house.

You all sound so organised, how do you all do it? Sometimes I say to myself Superwoman has nothing on me. I love being a mum but it can be relentless.

I've had school parties for the last 6 weeks. It's a good way to keep a 3 year old entertained on a Saturday but can be tiring having to get the 9mth old ready as well.

I work full time and my 3 year old goes to Nursery, my 9 mth old goes one day a week and the other days he's with my MIL.
    I get back from work, make a little dinner for us all then relax with DH and the kids for an hour, after that I start to get ready for the next day and get them ready for bed. I might watch a bit of TV and run on the treadmill for half an hour but just feel constantly rushed!

My husband's not a runner and although he's very supportive he can't understand why I'm running a half marathon on a Sunday when that's my chance to rest!

I've been thinking about getting a live in au-pair but I'm rather nervous of letting a stranger look after the kids.
    Is this the norm for you all? Should I quit moaning and get with the programme! Any tips please share on how you all juggle things.
  • MM - My Harry was sicky until he was over 1 year old - I had hoped weaning would help, but I think it's just a matter of time and development. Can't remember the last time he was sick (which is something: he used to bring up something about 10 times a day!!). It made me smile when you said you find possets everywhere - it's worse once they're mobile isn't it? I used to find manky bits of puke (or food he'd stored in his mouth and spat out) all over the place!!

glad to hear everyone's doing so well, I don't often contribute these days (now mine is over 2) but it's always interesting to have a read.....

Hegs x
  • Its worse after their milk and cereal in the morning and after their afternoon milk. Have tried reducing the milk which makes no difference. Just have to live it I guess, may be something to do with being a bit prem. They do love their food though.

Minks I always put them down awake. They both suck their thumbs so settle themselves pretty quickly, they didn't take to a dummy on the times we tried in desperation, which is good really. Since becoming mobile they seem to need more sleep again. Now sleep for 45 mins between 9am and 10am and then for 2 hours after their lunch. They then have 12 hours over night which is bliss!

I am loving my running, but do find it very tiring after wiping up puke all day! Am lucky that hubbie home by 6pm every night so I go out then while he does boys bath. That or I get at 6.30 and go then before he goes to work. Some days he as at home working, so that means its more relaxed. He loves seeing them during the day too.
  • Just read your post again Minks about the veg this time last year. I was the same, what an awful time! Couldn't brush my teeth without throwing up either! Nightmare!

Now thinking about trying again, would love a girl, but not till next year or year after, see how finances go.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    MM, I put Kit down awake too. We only really started doing this properly last week and it's made a huge difference. The main problem now is that he won't nap during the day for longer than 45 minutes. He's struggling to stay awake by 8:30 (after getting up at 7:00) and naps from then until about 9:15. Then he wants to go down again at 11:30 and again will nap for about 45 minutes or so, and he has half an hour in the afternoon, usually around 4:00. I've tried to make him stay awake longer so he'll nap at 9:00 and 12:00 but he just can't seem to last out that long. I've been working on getting him to have a longer sleep at lunchtime but am fighting a losing battle - once he's awake he's wide awake and any attempts to make him go back to sleep just result in him getting so distressed and worked up that I give up as it just isn't worth it. He sleeps pretty well at night and doesn't seem to suffer for his relatively short naps - it's just that I'd appreciate a little more time to get things done during the day sometimes!

Tonia, I don't know how you manage with working full time. I'm hoping to go back part time (am due to meet with my less-than-supportive manager in a couple of weeks so we'll see) but if we didn't need the money I would far rather not go back at all. Never thought I'd say that as I used to enjoy work, but I've amazed myself by how much I love being with my baby boy and just don't want to be parted from him. If/when I do go back, hubby is going to work a day from home each week and I know he's looking forward to spending more time with Kit, so in some ways it would be selfish of me to give up work completely.

MM, can't believe you're thinking about trying again! Be careful - you could end up with another set of twins!! Funnily enough, if we were to have another, I think I'd want another boy - just feel I'm more of a 'boy mummy' than a 'girl mummy'. Not sure yet that I want another - or rather not sure that I want to go through another Caesarean birth. I know there may be an option to have a normal birth next time but quite often if you have a section first time round you end up having another. Also as I had a section (and Kit was breech) I wouldn't be able to have midwife-led care next time which would make all the antenatal appointments such a hassle.

I'm finding running tiring too - but am enjoying it probably more than I did before. Perhaps just because I appreciate the time I get to run all the more as I have so little time to myself these days.