Mums Running Club

Comments

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

(((JT))) That sounds really tough.  Hope the bleeding stops too so at least you can start to feel a bit back to normal physically.  The mental side will take a lot longer, so be kind to yourself.  Must have been really hard to see your friend - it's a really positive step that you got through it OK though.  You sound pretty upbeat given what you've been through.

We bought a cheap £10 pack of assorted fireworks from Sainsbury's yesterday and did a little display in our garden for Kit.  He seemed to enjoy it although I think I was doing most of the "oohs" and "aahs"!  The fireworks were a bit lame to be honest but probably exciting enough for a two-year-old!  The bangs and crashes around here went on for hours last night.  Hubby and I didn't go to bed until nearly midnight and they had only just stopped.  I do wish people would have a bit more consideration for their neighbours.  Thankfully Kit slept right through it all!

Talking of bad manners, I get annoyed enough when I pull in and wait in a narrow road for an oncoming car to pass me and the driver doesn't acknowledge or thank me, but I'd expected better from a fellow runner.  Was running along a narrow path this morning with high hedges each side and no room to pass someone coming the other way, when another woman runner came towards me.  I stopped and pressed myself as far into the hedge as I could to allow her to pass.  She didn't even glance at me as she ran by, let alone thank me.  I was really unimpressed - I ALWAYS thank anyone who shows me any consideration.

• Ooh Minks, that would annoy me too. I always make a particular point of thanking anyone who moves out of the way for me when I'm running.

Great running Lotte and Caro. Caro, liked your hubby's idea that you should have taken 11 hours 11 minutes!!

JT - glad you're feeling a bit better. I've never been in the situation, but have seen enough friends going through it to realise how hard it is to see other people pregnant to the same stage that you 'should' have been. One of my friends has had several ectopics, followed by IVF that was successful on the second cycle, only to then have a high risk triple test and miscarriage at about 15 weeks. She has another friend who was pregnant at the same time and has since had her baby and has been extremely insensitive about the whole thing. It's been so hard to see how distressing it's all been, and has made me much more careful when I talk about Isabelle or getting pregnant etc. Hope the bleeding settles soon.

A bit of running for me this weekend, but at nowhere near the speeds most of you are reaching - a pootle really, through the New Forest, but beautiful nonetheless. Hubby went on a memorial 50 miler on the bike with a group from our old tri club, so as compensation for not being able to ride I popped over to my parents and nipped out for a run whilst Isabelle was occupied - got to love grandparents!!

Our move is fast approaching - looks like we'll be in the new house in the first week of December (argh!). The kitchen has an Aga, which I definitely wouldn't have chosen, and at some point we will re-do the whole thing and may or may not keep it, but for the moment it's there. Has anyone had any experience cooking with one, or any advice on any books? I've no idea where to start!!!
  • Vixo - my oldies have an aga. Fantastic for cooking roasts! but sorry no practical advice. Nice place to warm your bum in winter after a run though!

Janie - I had a an early miscarriage first time I conceived and my close friend was pregnant at the same time. It was hard but we hadn't told her yet that we were pregnant so didn't tell her about the miscarriage. Its probably good people know and I think you are doing really well.x

Minks- that would annoy me too. Some people are so rude. Have you thought any more about getting a race in? If my half goes badly next weekend you are welcome to give me "I told you so" comments! I do appreciate the advice you guys take the time to give me!

Speaking of which time for some tennis ball action before I go to bed. If I can find the damn thing, I think the terror-raptors (twins new nickname) have stolen it!

• Lotte - LOL at the twins' nickname! Hope you managed to find your tennis ball though...

Minks - that would definitely annoy me too. I always make a point of being courteous just generally, because I don't think it takes any effort really. Shame not everyone thinks that way!

JT - hope the bleeding settles down, and that you're right that it's a period. ((()))

Got to go, JP on the rampage! Back later x

• I'd've run after her Minks and stepped on her heels!
  • Forgot to say (()) Camlo - very sad news.

Think I said ages ago about out landlord being a pain, anyway we did find somewhere else to live, and handed in our notice. Now our new landlord has pulled out! B*gger! Not what I needed!
  • have read back a bit but no time to post!  Got to try to book train ticket to manchester next tues for work (how ridiculously unuser friendly is that website?! Would like to go first class one way and standard back but that doesn't seem to work.  Admit it could be me but figure that if I can't work it then that's their prob not mine for making the website too hard).

also off to boots for two things, one of which I forget already but am hoping divine inspiration hits me when I walk in the door.   I just remember that I planned to get both things in the same place!  oh my, I think I'm losing it! 

First day back at work after a week's hol, you've got to forgive my warbling.

• Ooh Minks that would annoy me too and probably prompt be to make some loud derogatory comments!

JT sounds like you're doing well, hope the bleeding doesn't go on too long.  I know exactly what you mean about fellow pregnant friends - I think I said about my friend getting pregnant again straight away?  In retrospect though I only had to wait a few months before I joined her again, so you never know what's around the corner.

Poor Sophie was tired and hungry by the time we got back from playgroup (and I'd bought a couple of coats in the charity shop next door, and nattered with some friends...!).  I was just carrying her in from the car when the local ginger and white moggy came out of our garden with Ralph in hot pursuit.  It ran onto a neighbour's front drive and Ralph followed it.  The two of them then had an almighty scrap with fur literally flying.  I went over with Sophie and growled at the other cat and it ran away, but the whole thing was too much for Sophie and she howled her head off!  I think the bubble of fluffy bunnies and cats that never hurt anything or anyone has been burst...image

Hopefully now snoozing, took a while.  I went back up and lay her down again earlier, then she seemed to point at her nappy and, sure enough, she needed changing.  I keep thinking she's becoming more aware of her bodily functions, but whenever I ask her if she's done a poo she nods, regardless of whether she has or not!  Just trying to time the whole potty training malarkey right...

• CC - hope you found your way OK! Knew you'd love Hoarcross Hall - it's great, isn't it? image I've been there twice now. Ben came with me the second time and really enjoyed it, so we're going to try and make it at least a once a year thing.

JG - Hope Sophie (and Ralph!) is OK after the cats fighting!

JP had a bit of a funny day today. I think he might be sickening for something, because he wasn't right today - he was really clingy and a bit teary. This wasn't helped by the fact that he didn't have a nap at lunchtime, and then he was so shattered he fell asleep at 4.45 (oops) despite my best efforts to keep him awake! woke him about 20 mins later for something to eat, and he was not a happy bunny. He refused to let me out of his sight then - he sat on my knee to eat his tea (and pinched my yogurt into the bargain!) and didn't want to know about Daddy. He settled well at bedtime though, so hopefully it'll amount to nothing.

• Thanks for race comments.  Went for a gentle 4.75 miles this evening and very pleased that I don't ache one little bit.

Had a busy old day, which involved me leaving my towel at the pool, so had to go back and get it which was a pain.

CC hope your super long run goes well tomorrow - you'll prob have done it by the time you read this.

Kinsey - bummer about the rental falling through, hope something comes up soon.#

JG, hope cats are ok!!

Wilbur (our cat) seems to have decided the maxi cosi car seat is his new bed.  Maybe about time it went in the loft.

Minks, still thinking about your wise marathon words, and still can't decide!  Impolite runners - bah!

Night all.

• Grr - quite cross today as we are stuffed basically and now are under pressure to find somewhere to live quite quickly which means I'm going to be very busy with that.

Went to the osteo last night, she thinks my pelvis is twisted and also that my hamstring is a problem - hoping she can fix it!
  • Oh Kinsey thats not good news on the house front. Hope you can get something sorted. Good news about the pelvis, should be relatively easy to fix those things.

Well done Caro. Knew you could run close to 70.

Quick post as must dash to music group. Will post more later.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

What a pain, Kinsey.  Really hope you can find somewhere else soon and this doesn't all become horribly stressful.  Not what you need at this time of year (or at all, but you know what I mean!)  Hope the osteo can sort your pelvis for you.

CC, Hoarcross Hall sounds bliss - really fancy a pampering day now you've described yours!  Sadly not on the cards at the moment I think.  Re. racing, I'd hoped to do the Elan Valley 10-miler but it's looking doubtful now whether we can fit in another trip to Wales before Christmas, so probably won't have the chance to race this side of Christmas now.  This year I think I'm going to try for an easy month in December, as I always end up overdoing it with all the Christmas prep, rushing around, social things and running to fit in, and am then ill over Christmas/New Year.  So think I might cut my mileage a bit in December ... she says, bet I don't ...

Vixo, no idea on the aga.  We arrived at one of our holiday cottages this year to find an aga in the kitchen.  I was immediately thrown as I've never used one before and had no idea where to start.  It was a pretty ancient one and to be honest, not that good.  It seemed to take forever for the oven to warm up and then we didn't feel it cooked anything all that well.  I really hate electric hobs too - just really difficult to control the heat properly.  I've told hubby I'm not moving anywhere that doesn't have a gas hob!

TattyB, hope JP's OK and was just tired.

I probably would have shouted something derogatory after the rude runner but she was wearing earphones so probably would have been a waste of the effort of thinking up a suitable comment.  I did spend the next couple of miles trying to come up with something really scathing though, which helped me to calm down!

Did ALL the housework yesterday while Kit was at nursery, so this morning I feel I can justify sitting on my bum on the sofa and looking online for Christmas presents.  Christmas could be a right hassle this year.  We've been invited (with my mum) to my brother and SIL's for Christmas Day.  Problem is, it's really our turn to go to in-laws this year, but MIL is possibly working on Christmas Day.  My brother wants us all to stay over Christmas night - basically because they have plans for Boxing Day and need us to drive my mum home (she doesn't have a car).  However, we might need/want to go straight to Wales from my brother's without coming back here first - and if FIL is going to be left on his own on Christmas Day we might have to go to Wales anyway for Christmas.  Which means Mum feels like she's just got to fit round everyone else and feels a nuisance, and is also worried about being left on her own on Boxing Day if we drive up to Wales - so I feel guilty, and hubby will feel guilty if his dad is on his own.  And as usual we'll spend the whole of the Christmas period tearing all over the country trying to keep everybody happy.  And it looks as though the only way we can fit everything in is if we spend New Year in Wales, which I really don't want to do as we did that last year and it was pretty dull.  The other issue is that my brother told me that they need us to have Mum next year as SIL's family has decided they're all going to go abroad for Christmas, so we kind of feel they've only invited us this year so they don't feel bad about excluding us next year.  Bah humbug!  (Sorry - confused ramblings: still trying to sort this out in my head and come to a compromise that keeps everyone happy!)

• ((Kinsey)) Hope you get something sorted really quickly, that sounds like a complete nightmare and really very stressful!

Minks - your musings sound very much like what I go through every Christmas, trying to keep everyone happy! Hope you're able to come to a decision soon. It's very difficult to balance out what you want to do with what you feel you should do, especially if you've got one parent or other on their own. We always have that problem with FIL, as he is on his own (well, he does have a partner now) and we feel guilty if we don't invite him, even though what I really want to do is to have Xmas on our own here, and see parents before/after. And I don't really get on with him, as I have probably mentioned many times on here before!!! My parents genuinely don't mind, so they're easy to please! Ben has got this idea about inviting my parents and his dad for Xmas, but I know that Mum and Dad will say no because it's very difficult for them with my sister (they can't get respite over Xmas and it is really tough to take her out for long periods because of all the things she needs, e.g. nappy changes, time out of her wheelchair etc). So I don't know what's happening yet, but I'm sure there will be many discussions about it to come, arrghhh!

JP much better this morning - it was just tiredness. He slept from 7.30 - 7.30, so he should be caught up now.

• We have the same issues every year, mainly cos my step Dad has to work 2 years on 2 years off for xmas, so my Mum is left by herself. We have decided we are staying at home this year though. We want to experience xmas in our new village, and our new house. My dad is now not working due to change in the rosta on the ship, so I don't feel so bad now. I hate spending xmas day with in laws as they do nothing to help, and we end up rushing around after them, so will arrange for them to come boxing day or something instead.

Am feeling pretty OK today. Felt great when I woke up on Sat, and probably did too much, went to village fayre, took boys on their bikes, then spent hours planting new plants into the garden. In the evening we went to the village firework display which was brilliant. Joshie was very scared though, maybe next year he will enjoy it. Great village event though. Sunday we watched hubbie race the Sodbury Slog. He came 6th, which is great for someone who never trains. He runs about twice a week! But does cycle 20 miles to or from work each day. Annoying all the same. He has so much natural talent!

Sunday afternoon I felt very tired and started being sick again, and it went on all day yesterday. Today I feel quite good again, so maybe thats how it will be for the next couple of weeks. Scan is on Sat, so fingers crossed. I do hate going for scans. 

Just walked to music in the village hall, and its so grim outside. Glad boys have got some fresh air though. It takes us about 10 mins as its the other end of the village so a good bit of fresh air for me too.

Think I might start running again this week. Maybe try a run tomorrow morning. See how I feel.

Harry is doing really with his eye patches. He has managed 2-3 hours as instructed each day. Bit upset the first time on Saturday, but he is fine now. Hates having it taken off. Its like a big plaster, so must hurt. He has to wear one every dayfor the two months. Hope it does the trick.

• My Mum has an aga and she loves it. She even cooked breakfast for her B&B on it with no problems. It just takes a while to get used to it. I kind of have the hang of it now!

We have only just got gas again after 5 years of oilfired heating and therefore electric cooking. Never had any serious problems with it, and you can get some brilliant halogen hobs these days with instant heat. It is nice to have gas again though I must admit.

Right time for a rest while boys watch some tv image.

• Well done your hubby MM!  I've seen pics of the sodbury slog - ugh!

This xmas we will go to my dad.  We went to in laws last yr, and my sister and bro in law are coming over from America for xmas and I haven't seen them in a yr. 

Went to a new playgroup this morning at a church just round the corner, it was really nice.  Plus slightly different to the other church playgroup we go to on a wed morning.

Hubby is taking the day off tomorrow and we are going to Norwich to visit my friend and her 10 wk old baby.  M and I are driving - hubby is cycling!!!!!!!!  I think it's about 110  miles, and he's  leaving at 5am.  That's his idea of a fun day off.

I am horrified to discover I think I have a hole in one of my molars.  I have no fillings and have always been told I have really good teeth!!  It doesn't hurt, I can just see a black mark that doesn't rub off.  So I have an appt for thurs morning.  Did anyone find that they got more dental probs after babys and breast feeding?

• MM - good that you're feeling better sporadically!

Minks - yep all sounds very familiar!  What with my mum in Suffolk, hubby's parents and brother in Wokingham and my (somewhat estranged) Dad in Blackpool, it does make life interesting!  That's not to mention my 2 sisters and brother who are also scattered around the country...  This year we decided we're not going anywhere though - partly because we're fed up of charging around the country at Christmas, especially with S in tow, and partly because hubby hasn't really got much holiday to take.  So the in-laws are coming to us and everyone else can sort themselves out frankly!

Well we seem to be going ahead with the in-laws buying our house plan.  We've got to see Nationwide again to check we're still ok for the mortgage (last went in Jan when I was due to go back to work part-time) and I guess if that's ok then it can all get moving, quite scary really image.  Not sure if I want to rush it before Christmas, I think it'd be better to wait till January.

Sophie's started being really clingy, demanding "cuggles" every 5 mins (very cute though) and now not settling on her own at night.  Daytime seems to be ok - she's just had a bit of a shout but soon gave up - but last night I had to sit with her for nearly an hour until she was asleep as every time I edged out of the door she leapt to her feet and started screaming image.  Then she also woke at 4.30am, which she did the night before too, and I had to sit with her again for about 20 mins.  She doesn't generally cry for no reason i.e. attention so I don't like to leave her screaming too much - you can sort of tell though can't you, when they're just having a bit of a whinge and when they're really not going to calm down on their own?  Could be teeth...

• Christmas plans really can be a nightmare. For the first time both hubby and I are both off for christmas and boxing day, and not on call on christmas eve, which is really nice. I'm doing a long day on the sunday, but apart from that we've got the other holidays off as well, so we'll actually get some decent family time. This year we'll either be at our house or my parents as my fil has already said that they're going to be with his wifes family. Only issue is hubbys brother who comes as a package with his completely untrained collie who I don't really want in the house. My mum definitely won't have the dog in her house - really doesn't like dogs - so not quite sure what we're going to do about that!

Think we'll have to try and get an aga cookbook which tells us how to use it, and just see how we get on. There is an electric oven as well, but since the aga is on all the time anyway I don't really want to be turning on something else!

JG - sounds promising on the house front, although as someone who is about to move and still hasn't really got their head round it, I can sympathise with the scariness of it all!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭

MM, glad to hear you're starting to feel a little better - even if sporadically, at least it must feel there's some light at the end of the tunnel.  Bless little Harry and his eye patch - they are so amazingly adaptable, aren't they?  We bought some cheapie fireworks from Sainsbury's as we felt that Kit's still a bit young for an organised display, and he enjoyed having those in the garden.  He was a bit scared of the ones that made a loud 'crack' but he didn't get upset.  Despite it sounding like World War III outside at times on Friday and Saturday nights he slept right through it all, although when I went out to put something in the recycling bin shortly after he'd gone to bed I caught him standing on the headboard of his bed to look out the window!  Little monkey - he used to do that a bit in the summer too when he could hear us in the garden!

Glad it's not just me getting a bit stressed about the logistics of Christmas.  I would dearly love to just have Christmas in our own home and not have to worry about transporting ourselves, Kit, presents, food etc halfway across the country but it ain't gonna happen this year.  It always seems to be us that has to fit around everyone else - think that's what irritates me really.  Why can't other people fit around us for a change?  Never mind - am sure it'll sort itself out in the end, although I know the trade-off will be New Year at my in-laws.  Oh well - at least it won't be a mega-late or drunken night and I'll be able to go out for a run on New Year's Day!

JT, glad you're feeling a bit better, but what rotten timing if you do indeed have a period now.  As you say though, I guess if it is it's reassuring to know that you still 'work'!  Must say my first two or three periods post-birth shocked me - they were SO heavy compared with what I'd been used to and I was terrified they'd stay that way - but they have gone back to being the same as before, pretty light and only last 4 days in total.  I only get through about 2/3 of a pack of 20 regular Tampax, so can't complain.  After Kit was born I was leaking after less than two hours using 'super' Tampax - not fun.

Your hubby did really well, MM - that kind of natural talent is a bit galling though, isn't it?  My hubby is a bit like that - he never trains (apart from once in a blue moon whenhe decides to start running again and goes out 3x a week for about 3 weeks before it dies a death again) but on a short run he can still beat me, even with all the running I do.  I know that I'd leave him standing over any kind of distance though image

Off work tomorrow as I'm going to a Christmas fair with my mum, at the Business Design Centre in Islington.  I don't get out much with my mum these days so am looking forward to it.  Hopefully with it being the first day of the fair and a weekday, it won't be too busy.  I remember going to the Baby Show at Earl's Court when I was expecting Kit, and I'd lost the will to leave after about two hours fighting through the crowds!

JG and Vixo - exciting stuff with the impending moves!  Hopefully it'll be us in the not-too-distant future - although I HATE the actual packing and moving part - not to mention the stress of wondering if it's going to go through without us being gazumped/losing our buyers/anything else that can go wrong with a move!

• just popping in to say hi.  mad mad week.  down to exeter for 7.30am on monday, full day with D&C police, which was nowhere near as bad as i thought but i now have the task of taking their key business drivers, inventing some business processes (as they don't appear to have any) and making up some SLAs which we can propose for the systems we are planning to implement.  just a few problems with this: i have only just received their business drivers (4 VERY high level strategy docs), i have no idea about any of the business processes as it's not my area, and i'm STILL trying to track people down who can tell me what the systems we are planning to implement actually do.  ho hum.

drove straight from exeter up to the NEC in birmingham, where i went for a quick run on the dreadmill in the gym and then hooked up with my boss and those people i don't like from Ops and Quality for some schmoozing.  my boss and i ditched the rest of them around midnight and retired to the bar.  5 glasses of wine and 4.5 hours later (OMG!!) and i went to bed.  image  unfortunately i couldn't sleep, so i got up at 6am to do some work.  i then had a full day at the conference and drove home last night.  i had been up since 5.30am on monday by the time i went to bed at 8.30pm last night (39 hours!!!).  i slept through until 6am!  i even slept through hubby coming back in from work again at 10pm (he went back into the office after i got back from birmingham!).

i have MIL arriving tomorrow for the weekend.  only problem is hubby is going to france this afternoon, getting back sat morning.  so i have her all to myself from tomorrow morning until sat morning.  image

• oh and we have christmas nightmares here too.  MIL and FIL in newcastle (and FIL can't travel as he's too ill); my parents in plymouth.  we are in south wales.  we always always always go to newcastle as my parents aren't fussed by christmas.  however this year i have said we are not going. i  want christmas at home.  my parents may come to us, but we are definitely not going to newcastle this year.  is not going down well with MIL as she loves christmas and J and E are her only grandchildren (but they are also my parents' only grandchildren) but we do need some time to do a family christmas for once.
  • Good on you CM for putting your foot down about Xmas! I should do that really... Hope things are bit more quiet for you over the next few days so you have chance to recover - that is scarily busy!!

CC - fab long run, annoying about the Garmin though. Mine was having a moment this morning but it did start after I'd been running for about a mile. Just a steady 5 for me this morning, which felt pretty good. Back to club tomorrow night, and hoping to do a longer tempo type run ahead of a 10K that I'm doing 2 weeks on Saturday.

Minks - hope you enjoy your day out!

MM - hope you're still feeling better.

JT - glad you're on the mend!

• Managed a run yesterday so feel like I can justify posting today image  Was not a good run mind - first in 1.5 weeks and I was slow and it was hard.  How can that be so?  I'm hardly pregnant at all!!  Did feel pretty sick throughout though, seems like I either feel starving or sick so when I'm starving I stuff my face, and then I feel really sick!  Can't win.  No actual sick though, so can't really complain.

JG - I sympathise on the clingy child thing.  Zac is having a bit of that - non-stop arms in the air wanting to be picked up, or if I sit down he wants to climb up on me all the time.  On the one hand it's quite nice to be cuddled for once, on the other - aaaaaaaaargh.  image

Christmas also a little stressful for us.  We had it at ours last year and my mum & step-dad came for a week which was way too much with a 6 month old.  We were quite stressed anyway I think because Z was quite unpredictable and a bit grumpy, and having people constantly there didn't help, especially when my step-dad can be a bit of a stereotypical grumpy northern bloke!  Anyway, after being a bit reluctant to host again, we are actually hosting again this year - but hopefully it will be better because Zac loves having company and they aren't staying for as long plus my sister & BIL are coming and they bring fun.  Sounds like it's not so much fun for anyone though - is a problem of expectation management often I think.  We all want it to be lovely, but you can't force it can you?