Mums Running Club

Comments

• Really quick hello from me too. V hectic here - having to move  out of our flat one week before my due date (7th Oct)  but haven't even exchanged contracts yet so very hard to plan. We have found a house to buy but can't tie it in with selling  our place so we are having to move in with my folks for a bit. Only one week left at work though so hopefully will be able to get a bit more organised with the moving then. Am just hoping this baby doesn't arrive too early or things might get a bit tricky!

So much going on on and it's been so long since I last posted that I don't even know where to start!

JG - sounds like you had a horrendous time in hospital with Nicholas - glad everything is ok now.

CM- glad everything went ok with your move. Sounds like everything is going well now although it must be hard being away from the kids.Can't believe J is at school now, how grown up!

CC - must admit I get quite envious reading about your life now - some aspects of it sound lovely! But must be hard too being somewhere new on your own with the kids with hubby being away so much. Hope things settle down a bit once the house down south is sorted.

Great racing from everyone this weekend! Lotte - that's a fab time given all the problems you had. Sorry to hear about your gran and hope the boat is ok this tonight. 

JT - fab to have a date sorted for your section. Am quite envious that you know exactly when it's going to happen. That would be very handy for me at the moment! And well done with your weight gain (or lack of it). I have put on about 10kg this time with 4 weeks to go whereas I think I only put on about 8kg in total last time ...but I was also about a stone lighter to start with this time so hopefully should all even out in the end.

Sonya - ouch to the re-stitching.....hope that goes ok and that you make a quick recovery. 

MM --boo to the knee problems. Frustrating but make sure you rest up and take it easy as much as you can.

TB - sounds like a hectic first week....you must be exhausted. Glad to hear it will get easier soon!

Carovet - hope you felt ok tonight and managed to enjoy yourself. Bet you can't wait to get the builders out. Remember what it was like when we got our kitchen done and that was without having a toddler around. 

Anjelicals - sounds like Leila is doing well with the potty trainin. Keana did sit on the toilet a few times about a month ago but now she is refusing to go anywhere near it so good be a while till she's ready I think.

Kinsey - yay to Aidan walking! That is most impressive at such a young age.

EF - glad to hear you enjoyed your hol. No idea about that homework I'm afraid!

Right, my brain is frazzled and I can remember no more  so I am off to bed....sorry to all those I've missed. Was thinking that was going to be a quickie too but I seem to have gone on and on....image

• And please excuse all my typos too....as I said I am frazzled! image
  • well done for surviving TB.  it is always such a steep curve when you first start, isn't it?

yve - that sounds like a nightmare with your moving out / in dates and your due date being altogether. nothing like a good bit of stress to sort your BP out, is there?

T just turned up to get the kids. first time he has collected them, and he couldn't find the house (it really is NOT hard). he phoned me swearing down the phone - 'where is the b4st4rd place?' etc etc. and then when he got here, i asked him to take his shoes off (men working outside and it is a mess, plus rented house with carpets...) and he took one off and threw it at the stairs. i am SO glad to be away out of all that anger and frustration.

asked him if he had paid the nanny her mileage from the week before last (she had left it for him on the thurs and was back there on mon and tues, and also weds morning this week), but no. apparently, he hadn't got the cash out. WHY THE HELL NOT!?!?! argh!!! i know it's not my problem as it is his issue, but if it annoys the nanny (along with all the other awkwardnesses and inconveniences of our situation), i am worried she will end up wanting to leave...

going to richard's funeral today. am meeting an old colleague and good friend beforehand so at least i won't be walking in on my own. 

• Hope you survived the boat Lotte. Can't believe you ran 13 miles yesterday morning, you really are nuts!! image Hope the funeral goes OK. Never nice and combined with boat trip will be a hard day I'm sure.

Good to hear you've got a date JT.

Boo to tummy bugs Caro, Harry had something for weeks, but we seem to have avoided it for now, just a bit coldie, but that seems to be passing now too. hope you get tiling sorted. My hubbie also very handy and can kind of do tiling but not sure I'd trust him with flooring, we'll see. We are talking of doing up our lounge/dining room and that involves wall papering also something he has never done, so we shall see!!

CC, I would be livid. Are you still going to do your 10k? My hubbie is pretty bad at telling me things, but he knows I will flip, so has learnt to give me more warning. My rule is if it ain't on the calendar it ain't happening!!

My two also used to try and empty the potty's. Didn't bother me too much as we were in rented at the time image!! They soon moved onto stand up wees at the proper loo so it was a short period of time.

Yeah to Aiden walking.

Good to hear from you Yve, all sounds a bit tight on the moving front, but I guess it will be sorted eventually.

Knee was fine by last night so went to club anyway. Was fine to run, really enjoyed it, last countryside run possibly with the club. Has stiffened up again today and is grinding a bit. Bruise has now gone, so hopefully it will pass soon. Day off today anyway, but lots to do. Swimming lesson for boys, then get their haircut, then have to collect Harry's new glasses. Not sure what to do this afternoon but weather looks dubious so maybe just something at home.

They were both shattered after their rising 5's pre-school day yesterday. Very proud Mummy as both were holding their pencils really well apparently image.

• Am in two minds again now about the potty - everyone else seems to have a child that just gets on with it, Martha shot off for some peace and quiet again this morning to do her poo and she really isn't keen on doing it on the toilet despite the fact that she and I both know she is doing one!!! Plus my bribery obviously isn't working as she knows and is telling me that she gets a scooter if she does do it in the toilet!!!! Should I leave it for a while still??
    I'm such a bleeding amateur at this!
  • kinsey - is martha doing poos on the potty or in a nappy? pooing is quite a difficult one for some kids - some kids insist on having a nappy on to poo even when they have mastered weeing in a potty for quite a while.  she *will* get there.  if she isn't ready yet, it is probably best just to leave her.  altho i was quite keen for J to stop pooing in the potty as i hated cleaning it out.  might as well have been wiping a bum was my theory!

will be interesting to see how J manages wiping his own bum at school.  he does do it sometimes at home, with varied results.  he rarely manages to wipe any poo away at all.  depends on the consistency of the poo how much of a problem that is! i guess he will learn to save his poos up for when he gets home.  that'll be nice image  he used to do something similar when he was at day nursery.  he would come home in the evening and do about 4 poos in an hour!

the kids were both pleased to see T this morning and went off with no fuss, altho J was saying to T as he left 'why can't mummy come to the park when i finish school.  it is only round the corner'.  i knew that would be an issue.  J's school is 9 miles from the marital home, and 2 mins walk from my new place.  J knows that i am WFH today and will be here. so why wouldn't i be able to come and see him after school (in his mind)? of course, it is T's day so he won't want me to see the kids... can't say i really blame him, but if J gets an idea in his head, it will make T's life hard.

• No - she still does it in her nappy but its a once a day, off on her own occurrence so very obvious to both of us when it is happening.

Can't believe J is off to school already - his photo's are lovely!

Have got another flat tyre on my p&t - I think I am getting one about every 2 months, I'd blame the brand but my friend has had hers for over 2 years and has never had a single puncture. Have ordered some new inner tubes but will have to get a puncture repair kit too as having tried our old one I think its useless! Would have probably managed to fix it but I forgot to check the tyre and there was a thorn in it so it punctured again. Duh!!!
  • JT - I've still got the 3 day potty training thing you sent - I'm just umming and ahhing about it because of her whole - yes i'm pooing but I'm not doing it in the loo thing.
  • I am rather relaxed about the boys wiping their bums now. I was a bit fussy about it, but since I've had S I can't just jump up when I'm feeding and wipe a bum, well I couldn't in the early days of BF, but I can walk around the house now while BF!! Anyway, they do it themselves and mostly its OK, we do have the odd grim occurence, as you say CM depends on the consistency (TMI sorry!!). They have a bath every night so hopefully they will be OK!

Having a nightmare with J at night again. We use the age 4-7 pull ups, and he just keeps wee-ing right through them and the bed has been wet two days on the trot now. Any suggestions for other nappies/pull ups. He was doing so well and now seems to have loads worse again. I might mention at pre-school to make sure he goes to the loo in the day as I think he might just be saving all his wees up until night-time as I'm so careful that he doesn't drink anything after his tea at 5pm.

He has no idea he is wetting himself he sleeps so deeply. Its nearly two years since they decided to go without nappies in the day, and H has been dry all that time at night, but J is very different.

• Dear God- please, please make my day better. I've sorted work professional registration, eldests car insurance, childcare vouchers & mil birthday card so why have I got to put up with the boys trashing the house, throwing lunch and Archie poo'ing on the floor?? Have spent an hour in tears in between phone calls.... aarrrrggggh
  • ((Camlo)) - hope things calm down soon!
  • ((Camlo)) Hope they calm down for you. I feel your pain, my two also trashed house, but am too tired to sort it out just now!!
  • ((camlo))

feeling v fragile after the funeral.  it was very hard.

and now i have a telephone interview for a job in Bristol.  would quite like the job but not sure i can face an hour on the phone with the VP from the US...

• I think it might be "happy birthday" time for Caro. Hope you are well enough to enjoy it.

Sounds stressful Camlo. I would be tempted to drug them to calm them down (only joking!).

Mmm, some of those comments about potty training sound familiar. We tried LB on it few weeks ago but he just didn't seem to know when he was about to (or actually doing a) poo, so we have decided to try it again in a little while as there is no rush (apart from the convenience of not having to wash/change nappies) at the moment. He was at least very keen to try it but I think he got a bit disheartened by the poo accidents (as we did!).

CC It's looking at the moment like you might as well have stayed down south, given the lack of hubbie-time!

Look after that knee MM. "Grinding" doesn't sound good, although I am less worried about impact injuries generally than over-use injuries.

You're sounding like you are able to be your own self much more now CM and much more relaxed. Good move I think.

JT Are you saying that you would have to call the parents in just to wipe poo from a child's bum/legs if they had an accident? Blimey.

My thoughts are with you today Lotte.

[X-post CM] I think you'll be glad you went though - and good luck with the interview.

• R_B - good idea to leave Little Bear in nappies for now if it is stressing him and you.  I had no choice with J as 2years and 2 days old he told me 'no more nappies' and that was it. the benefit of leaving it until they are older is that they have much more control by the time they master it.  at barely 2, i had a nano-second between J announcing he needed a wee, and the wee appearing.  a friend whose little one trained at 3.5 years found that he immediately went much longer between wees.  it was a NIGHTMARE in the car in those days and i was forever traipsing around with a travel potty and spare plastic bags / piddle pads for the car etc. all of that is a distant memory now.  but all to come again with E i am sure.  she points at her nappy and goes 'uh' when she has weed or poo.  and sometimes she goes and gets a nappy and says 'bum' when she wants to be changed. but she is only 18 months so i am not starting any of that business just yet!!!

yes - i am generally feeling much more in control, and seeing the way T was this morning made me soooo glad i am not there any longer.  all the swearing / throwing things and general stress and shouting is notable by its absence.  and i am so much calmer around the kids.  i am sure that will be better for them as well.  although obviously they will still get all the shouting / swearing etc from T when they are with him... that does worry me.  but i can't odds that unless i am prepared to go to court and seek a residency order, which i am still not inclined to do.

interview in 10 mins. have spoken to agent and he is useless and has given me next to no information at all.  joy!

• JT I wonder why it is OK for nurseries to change babies' and toddlers' nappies but not schools?
  • Happy birthday Caro!

Got home from town and both were fast asleep in pram - hurrah image

Sophie has regressed to denying she's done a poo even when she has, then sometimes she says she has when she hasn't!  Her current phase is wanting to see her poo...image  I feel there's no point even trying potty training yet, even if I didn't have a 6 week old!  Why can't my mum see beyond her own "theory" of take away the nappies, tell her she's a big girl now and it'll just happen... it's getting to the point where I don't want to go to my mum's where my 95 year old Granny also lives nearby and have them looking down their noses at us for not having her potty-trained yet...

• Ooh CM. Hope it went well? Hope you feel slightly better after funeral too, I think you did really well to go...

Thanks for that JT, all food for thought. The trouble with J is the sheer quantity of liquid he drinks. I have tried to suggest he goes at regular intervals today as well, and will ask them to make sure he goes regularly at pre-school. I'm not sure they make bigger nappies to contain his wee, so we shall keep muddling on.

Harry is loving his new glasses, Donald Duck, he looks very smart, and new haircuts too.

Going to see the village school next week, spoke with head earlier who sounded very nice.

• oh bless Harry - bet he does look sweet.

agent is very positive - we are now talking compensation and benefits... may be down in london for face to face on monday!

• Exciting about the interview CM! Is the job in London?
    Hope you feel it was the right thing to do going to the funeral too (()).

Thinking of you too lotte.

The glasses do sound cute MM. Think it is good that he is getting used to them early, I wasn't given glasses until I started school, so must've been over 4, I didn't like them of course!

Some scary potty training stories! Obviously don't need to worry about it for a couple of years yet but I'm hoping for a painless transition to pants!

Question for all those with cats, Maggie is starting to move so am looking at baby gates, can you get any which cats can fit through? My old cat is far too old to jump a gate now. I found some dog gates with cat flaps but they say they're dangerous for babies.

Is it Caros birthday today? If so, Happy Birthday!

It's our 5th wedding anniversary today. We haven't organised a babysitter so going to have fish and chip sandwiches (one of hubby's favourite trashy meals) with bubbly and watch telly. I was 10 weeks pregnant on our anniversary last year, so weird to think back to pre-baby life now!

Hoping Maggie will sleep all night again as a special treat too. She slept through last night, besides a little twitch at 5am, by 7.30 I actually got worried by the quiet so went and checked on her (which woke her up of course).

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

• MM - do you lift J before you go to bed?  that's the only way my J doesn't wet through everything (he is in those age 4 - 7 pull-ups).  not sure whether the size 7 - 13 ones would be too big?  i guess they will hold more wee tho?

should be excited to be having interview on monday really i suppose.  i spent an hour talking to the VP and he has given me the thumbs up.  so it's only the hiring manager and HR on monday, which should be a doddle image.  however i will have to travel down to london for the day and to avoid paying 185 quid on the train (peak time fare), i have asked for the interview to be at noon, which means it will probably be 6 by the time i get home, and i have the kids on monday, so i won't see much of them.  image  i have a weekend without them as well (they are with T until Mon morning); and i am away in London all day on Tues as well.  feeling q stressed by it all really.  still, i suppose if i do get the job in bristol, i will be able to be home every night, which will be good.  although i will probably have to work full-time.  ARGH!! why is life so hard?!?!

just about to run. don't feel like it but perhaps it will make me feel better.  i feel so low after the funeral today as well.  the order of service for the funeral has a picture on the back of richard's family - it looks like a venture style thing.  with him and his wife, his kids and parents and brother.  just looking at it is making me cry.  image

• sonya - we have some gates which the cats can squeeze under.  they had to be drilled tho to fix to the wall.  the pressure ones won't be any good.

the job is in bristol but the hiring manager is based in London. i live in s wales so bristol is commutable fairly easily, altho if i need to do long days it won't be much good as by the time i get home, the kids will be off to bed.  argh - it is all so stressful!

• Thanks for b day wishes image  M sang happy birthday to me so many times this evening, it was lovely.  Have been in London most of the day, hubby bought me a voucher for a massage and facial which is one of those things I never ever do, and it was lovely.  Then had lunch in John Lewis and shopped - bought a skirt to wear to my 10 yr uni reunion next month so am pleased about that.

Sonya I reckon your cat will figure out the baby gates.  We only have 1 at the top of the stairs, and it's only ever shut if M is up there. 

JG, my cat eats royal canin so yes I think it's good.  He gets 25g twice daily, so you could start with say 30g in the morning for him, as I know he's a big boy(!) and see how he gets on, and then maybe 25g in the evening.  Often my cat doesn't finish his.

Drinking some fizz now, and hubby is making dinner.  Still not feeing right, just lack of appetite which is so not me!

JG - I am going to put your mother's theory to the test once the builders have gone.  I do think that expecting M to know when to go whilst still in nappies will be much harder for her than doing the whole big girl knicker thing.  So I will just wake her up one morning, stick some knickers on and see what happens!  Then wait for the fall out............

• Yes CM we do lift him religiously every night before we go to bed and he usually does a huge wee. I think the key problem is he seems to have stopped wee-ing in the day, so really trying to get him going again. I think at pre-school he gets really distracted and then just holds on and then doesn't have enough time to get it all out before bed. Anyway am sure it will sort itself out evetually, just not enjoying washing his bedding every day.

Nightmares with job hey. Life is never easy though, we all seem to jump through hoops every day just to get through the day!!

Oh dear am wittering, half a glass of red wine!! image

Congrats on anniversary Sonya, love the champers and chips night in. We had our 10th in July and sadly S was only 6 weeks so no night out for us and she took ages to settle that night too, so we're hoping to persuade grandparents to share the kids and us get away for a weekend for our 11th. We shall see!! image

Also got gates that can hang higher, but ours can jump too, so hoping it will be fine. Maybe just have to open the gate for him?

Oh dear, hubbie prancing round the kitchen to 'One love' by U2. You can tell its friday night and we've both had wine!! Out-numbered classic!! image

• Sounds like a fab day x-posts!

Hope you enjoy your dinner, hubbie just cooking ours too, while dancing and singing!!

You could try just putting her in pants when in the house to start with, thats what I did with the boys as 'I' was not ready for them to be toilet trained at 25 months and having just moved. They never had an accident though so were obviously ready. Took me a couple of weeks though of trusting them in the car and toddler groups etc, but they were fine.