Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Hi ladies,

Wonder if I can join in? I had my little boy nearly 7 weeks ago and got my first run in today (I've been ready for a week or 2 but needed OH around to hold the fort).

I also need some advice - seems the little on has started teething - teeth not through but can see and feel them through the gums at the bottom. Is there anything we can use to help him? I'm not sure about Calpol etc because of his age...

Thanks
    SS
  • Options

Had a few trick or treaters last night altho' fewer than in previous years, which means lots of cheap sweets to use up. I'm surprised how late some people let their young kids wander the streets. Latest was around 9pm and there was one kid who was about two (with parents obviously, but even so...).

Lots of things I can't do, but very few of those that I'd want to be able to do (play the violin for example). I'd say "swim properly" but I don't enjoy swimming or water, so no motivation to improve really. I suppose I'd like to have better craft skills (I admire a good plasterer for example, or someone who is good at woodwork) or indeed be able to draw/paint nicely. I'd like to be able to run a 4 minute mile, but let's be realistic eh?

There was talk of schools a few pages back which reminds me that, after being served notice that LB is to be expelled from nursery at Xmas (as they have changed their age range), I spent some depressing hours looking into our options. As he'll be just turned 3 in January, he'll be too young for local authority pre-schools which all now have a September intake, which means having to switch twice (January and then September). I don't suppose that will go down well with him, especially as he has just started to make friends at the current nursery. As for nurseries, there is very little choice round here unless you go on a waiting list for years, but I finally got him a place for January in one quite close to where we live. Indoors it looks OK, but outdoors is a bit small and no grass to play on. All very annoying. 

On a more positive note, there have been no wee or poo accidents at all since LB finally got the hang of things last Wednesday. 

[Edit] Welcome Stillsmiling. 7 weeks is very young to be teething. I don't know much about drugs - for example I'd never heard of Medised until people started talking about it yesterday. I'm sure one of the mums on here will be along soon to advise you!

• Options
    Hello to the new and returning mums! I've got an 8 month old boy James William and cannot keep up with this thread - probably about 2 weeks since I last posted!

Had the quickest of quick skims -

PP - got my fingers crossed for you
    TT - If its annoying you not knowing, then just go to the docs. I hate it when something just goes round and round in my head. You'll probably find that if you book an appointment you'll get your period the next day!

Hooray to LB's potty training, RB.

SS - James also had little 'buds' of teeth under his gums from a very early age, but they didn't actually break through until he was about 7 months ish. Are you sure he's actually teething? If so, then I thing teething powders are good when babies are too little for calpol etc.

So sorry to those I've missed, but I'd be here for days if I tried to go through everyone!

I've only got 4 weeks left until I go back to work - sob. J is going to my work's nursery which is great as he'll be literally 2 min walk away from me. Going back for 3 days a week initially, so that makes me feel better too. I know he'll thrive there as he's such a sociable little boy, its me that is going to have separation anxiety!

• Options
    Don't think I can catch up with everyone's news either!

SS - not sure if you can use bonjela or calgel or something like that?

Had a very long day yesterday, drive to ferry, ferry for 4 hours, then drive for 4 hours. Holiday was mostly good though, bit tiring, but the place we hired was good and the kids had a ball. Missed out on most of the wedding reception as I took them back to get them to bed but I was v tired anyway so I didn't really mind.

Farnie - ouch. Hope everything starts to improve soon (())
  • Options

Not sure he would be teething so young SS. My babies have all started early but 7 weeks is very early. Teething powders the best for so young anyway, but must admit they don't help that much!!

Kattykin, so sad to be going back to work, but am sure you'll enjoy it too.

RB. Thats awful about LB's nursery. Hope you find one that works for you. I feel very lucky with the set up we have for the boys. They were watching a tractor ploughing the field on the way into the nursery this morning and another one unloading grain from the fields when we got there. Its a working farm which is just brilliant.

Got to docs at 4.15pm. Running 45 mins late. Arrrrhhhh! 3 kids driving me and the other waiting people insane. When will docs get their waiting times right. Don't have chest infection, but do have synasistis so have antibiotics for that which will help chest if there is anything going on in there anyway. Looks like race is out the window on sunday. Boo!! Hopefully it will get rid of it though and better now when I don't have much on in the way of racing.

Fingers crossed S will give us a better night. She slept for 2 hours at lunch and has gone down like a light at 7pm. Please please please....

• Options

MM- glad you got something to take! Hope it gives you a boost but don't push it too soon!

MR- why doesn't your hubby want to drive? Here it is normal for everyine to start pretty soon after their 17th birthday as public transport is sooooo rubbish. 

Caro- Tom used to wee all day after swimming too so good luck with the pants! Guess it is good practice though!

SS- welcome to the board, I'm another who thinks you should look for another reason for the grumpiness but if you are sure its teething you could try some gel and see if it soothes the gums.  My lads always had foul nappies just before teething so there was no mistaking it. 

Tom threw a toy at Archie earlier and split his head open- trip to hosp and he's got 2 steristrips holding it shut now! Think Tom was more upset by the blood than Archie and eldest kept saying he felt sick, hubby was in the loft and didn't come down until after we got back home.... classic. 

• Options

Camlo - what a nightmare!  Hope Archie is OK and your other men are a little more supportive now, grrr!

MM - hope the antibiotics help - I have found in the past that the effect is sometimes immediate.

KK - it may be hard at first but it sounds as though you have a great set up - 3 days a week is just right in my opinion and having him so close will be really good.  You'll just have to resist the temptation to pop in to see him every hour or so!  Enjoy your last 4 weeks at home.

JT - hope your first day flying solo went OK.

• Options
    Camio - husband has spend his life living on small islands or in big cities where it is easy to get about so has never had a need to drive. Now it laziness and a bit of fear I think - I certainly wouldn't fancy having to sit a driving test nowadays, not sure I'd pass!

Hope Archie's head OK? Kids - nothing but stress and worry somedays!

Trying to type and concentrate on Spooks - very very disappointed in Lucas North. EF - he is bad to the bone, you naughty girl image
  • Options

Hello ladies (and RB). Got back from our hols at the weekend, had a lovely (if exhausting) week in Camber Sands on the south coast. Beach was beautiful, miles of sand with great sand dunes that the kids loved climbing up and exploring. Weather pretty good too, and we were on the beach every day apart from the Wednesday when it was very blustery and raining too. Both the big girls and hubby even put wetsuits on for a splash about in the sea although naturally we did get a few odd looks what with it being October and bloody cold! Girls loved it though and Anna enjoyed her first trip to the seaside and particularly liked eating sand image. Even managed to get a few runs in although I did draw the line at hubby's suggestion to try hills reps on the sand dunes - tried it once and couldn't even get up the thing once without resorting to a walk so settled for taking turns to run on the beach while hubby looked after the girls.

Apologies but I'm not even going to try to read back over last week as just haven't got time - loads to catch up on at work and lots of things to get ready for hubby's 40th birthday this weekend. Busy, busy, busy ...

PP - did notice that sounds like you've had a bit of a scare though, hope you're okay now. I had a bleed at around 6 weeks with Anna and got myself all worked up about it but went off in a couple of days and didn't have any further probs.

TT - I'd give it until 2 weeks late and then do another test and see the doc if still negative. Anna is now 9 months and 12 weeks after stopping bf still no sign of a period here either. If it wasn't such an enormously low chance of me being pregnant I might start to worry too. It's highly unlikely though as would have to be an immaculate conception (well almost) image.

Camio - ouch, poor Archie - when will kids learn that it's not a good idea to chuck toys (especially hard ones) at each other!

Kattykin - having a nursery at work sounds great and I'm sure J will love it.

Sorry to everyone else I've missed, gotta go now as I still haven't showered after pilates yet this evening - euurgh.

Oh, and I can touch my toes too and do a full bridge at my pilates class (although we used to call it a crab at school). Still can't get the hang of breathing when doing front crawl though, but if I actually practised it might get easier - doh!

• Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭
    sorry not read back - will try and catch up tommow -hope everyones OK.
  • Options

MM - hope the antib's do the trick and you are feeling better soon. I wish I had gone to the docs when mine first started as instead I have had a cough for the last 6 weeks. But it is definately on the mend now.

Camlo - poor archie. 

Busy here as always. Worked friday and monday so it almost feels like I have a proper job image Still having a nightmare trying to work out the insurance. Hope nobody works for an insurance company here but they are total sh*ts the lot of them! They have told us they will give us £6000 for our car (which we bought an insured for £12500 two years ago). We can't even think about replacing it with that, still have a car loan on the go and are totally broke image So we rejected their offer but not sure what happens now and I only have the courtesy car for another week. Very frustrating because our car took us ages to find in the first place and their aren't many secondhand on the market so they hold there value really well.

Right off for a run. My body clock can't get used to the change in the clocks! Have been up since before 5am image

• Options

MR it seems the badder he gets the more I luuuuurve him.  I need to go to sleep and not wake up til next Monday night.  Cannot wait for the finale.  Sat droooling and holding my breath with what was coming next.  Plus he can't be bad to the bone or else what has he been doing risking his life for the last two series?  I could change him!!

• Options

image EF, you do make me chuckle!! I love Spooks, but am finding this series really hard to follow. just as well its so easy to rewind live tv. We rewind it so often during an episode as one of has missed something that we didn't get through it till 10.20pm!!

Can't believe that Lotte. Do they give you any reason for that? Is there anything the police can do seeing as they caused the accident? We had a bit of a rough time from Peugeot many years back when they wrote off our car by going to fast in it (its was an XSi) and rolling it down a bank!!! They would only give us the same age car, so no compensation for the mistake, and we had to slump for a bright orange car the same age. I was not too impressed, but like you we needed a car and they said they wouldn't let us have the rented anymore and would charge us!!

Sounds like a fab holiday Karen. Probably what we needed really.

Still lurgfied here, but on the mend I think. Head hurts like mad, but am contemplating running this week now at least!! Sophie slept the whole night again. Hurrah, so we both feel more human. Just the anti-B's don't upset her as am still exclusively feeding her, only 3 weeks to go image!! She has had some formula mixed in with her baby rice, and rejected it the first time, but has had a few more times now and didn't seem too bothered. Must put her down for her nap actually and get organised to go out to music.

Still no actual teeth from madam, but it does take sooo long doesn't it, so am sure we will have more nasty nights to come!!

• Options
    Karen - glad your hols were good! Wish I had managed to get some runs in on my hols - there never seemed to be the time so last month was a bit of a right off.

Lotte - that's really cr*p of the insurers - not what you need - hope you manage to sort something out.

Aidans first molars are still coming through so sympathies to all the teethers out there - its rubbish!
  • Options

MM - hooray to Sophie sleeping through and hope the antibiotics work soon.

Lotte - that is so crap isn't it, you pay all this insurance and seem to get nothing back from it.  And even if you do they raise the premium so much it's hardly worth it!

I think they can show signs of teething from early on but don't necessarily get their teeth through for months.  Anything cold rubbed on their gums will help, if you can get in!

R_B - that's also rubbish about the nursery, can't believe they just turf them out like that.  Hopefully LB will settle well into a new one and be ready for a change by the time September comes.

Well I am now the proud(?) owner of a coil image.  Was dreading it a bit but it was no worse than a smear test in the end.  Definitely not as bad as having a sweep! image  Lasts for 5 years although I'm not sure I'll ever believe that it really does stop me getting pregnant!

N seems to be back to waking twice in the night image but last night hubby gave him some EBM from the freezer and put him to bed for the first time and he was fine, so that's good news.  Also I expressed last night and got 150mls which is the most I have ever expressed and I felt quite pleased, especially as that's how much he had from the bottle so I know he's definitely getting enough.

Thrush is still hanging around but I think this new cream is slowly working.  Can't wait to get rid of it image.  Oh and I've put N in 3-6 months clothes today, just after he's passed the 3 month mark - it's nice to see him growing at last image.

• Options

oh lotte - that is so annoying. why do they have to make everything so hard?

MM - am glad you have some meds.  hopefully they won't upset S.  and hope you start feeling better soon.  rotten to be so low for so long.

JT - glad things are going well.  not sure i could tell you what was in the half yard either.  probably sausage? J managed to demolish a 'porker with cheese' in a baguette.  thought i might get some of it but no!!

JG - i have a coil too.  for the first few months i didn't trust that it would work either.  in fact i was terrified.  but it does. i guess you aren't having periods yet anyway as you are still exclusively BF N.  sounds like he is doing really well now!

ouch camlo - hope archie is ok today.

and sounds like a great holiday karen!

• Options

welcome back from your jollies Karen. Sounds like you had a lovely time.

Ouch to poor Archie's head Camlo, i did chuckle at the thought of your hubby being completely oblivious to it though! 

TT, I did a test between 5 and 6 weeks after the date of my last period, it came back negative. About a week later when there was still no sign of AF I did another one, just to rule pregnancy out, and it came back positive. I don't know how overdue I was as I've been pretty irregular. My dates worked out that I was 7 weeks pregnant but the scan read 4-5 weeks.

Still lots of spotting but still no pain. it's starting to get me down, I just want to know one way or another. 

I got one of the jobs I was interviewed for though, happy days! image It's just a part time receptionist job in the local tennis centre but it's better than nowt!

• Options
    Well done on the job PP!

Farnie, hope you are now on the mend. It's amazing what you don't know about childbirth before it happens, or was I the only one who was appalled, despite having done extensive research beforehand!?

Camlo, hope Archie is ok today, poor thing.

RB, bad news about the nursery but hopefully LB will take it all in his stride.

MM, hope the anti bi's are now kicking in. Like Lotte I didn't go to doc and am still coughing up gunk 4 weeks on, although at least it is no longer black image

Thanks for asking RB, knees sadly still bad. MRI with sedative on Friday morning although I am losing hope that anything conclusive will be found and think I'll still be in limbo until I stop bf.
  • Options
    Still v little sleep going on here. Poor baby J is badly constipated and we all suffered over the long weekend (bank hol for All Souls' day here), took him to doc this am and he had a manual exam (yuck) and a glycerin bullet put up, which he promptly pooed out... Have had a bit of progress since but been told I need to do more of the sane this week until back to normal. Not looking forward to it!

Sounds like I need to get with Spooks. Saw the first and second series moons ago but then gave up. THe blond one grew on me, but don't think he's Lucas. In fact, I think he died. Actually I quite liked the one who walked inti the sea at the end of the first series!! Remember him?

As for what I can't do...usually I have trouble stringing a sentence together, particularly in Polish! This morning in phone shop lady asked me for ID and I replied that I was on contract but about to change to PAYG.. image I am very bendy though image

Off to ?boring accountants' dinner tonight, need to stop talking about baby poo and try and sound professional. May be quite tough. Happy to find I fit back into my skinny suits though, so at least I'll blend in image
  • Options

i have never watched spooks and have no idea what it is!

poor J - hope the meds sort him out.  i found banana was a killer with my J, so you could try stopping that as well to see if it helps...

• Options
    Yep, def stopped banana thanks CM. Hoping plum baby food might work...nearest I could find to prunes!! At least he accepted bf an hour ago, this morning he wouldn't even take milk, as I guess it started his digestion again. So painful to be there when there's nothing you can do.
  • Options

CM you don't know what you are missing out on!!  It is the only thing I watch on TV.  I have "taped" them all and am trying to convince other half to go out tomorrow night so I can watch last night's again.  mmm hmmm. 

it was the dishy clerk again today.  Cripes, am going to have to get over this crush soon or my work will be going down the pan!!

• Options

Joh, poor J - don't like the sound of a glycerin bullet image, hope he is back to normal soon.

Lotte - that is so bad about your insurance, I guess you just need to keep rejecting what they offer and explaining your reasoning, thankfully I haven't had to deal with an insurance company for a while so I hope they come round in the end.  I can't even imagine what car you need to drive to fit your whole brood in!

PP - well done on getting the job - hope the spotting stops soon, it must be a worry despite all the stories of bleeding during pregnancy leading to a healthy baby.

Well, AF arrived this morning imageimageimage.  Bit disappointed but glad at least that I know for sure.  Really must get our medical insurance covered as soon as we get back to US, then at least it won't cost a fortune.

My cousin's girlfriend had her baby last night, little girl they have called Imogen Amelia - can't wait to see pictures but from the sounds of it my cousin is besotted.

• Options

I love Spooks too. That and Desperate Housewives are the only things I watch. Hubby came through with the phone last night when I was watching it and I was madly waving him away. If you blink for a second you lose the story completely!

Johbo - hope you get some answers on Friday. Very frustrating for you.

MM - I don't know why they are being so crap, it does sting a bit when it was 100% not our fault and totally outwith our control. Might get back in touch with the police again and see if they can help in anyway.  I know this is probably very niave but if the car depreciates so much why doesn't  the amout we pay also go down each year or something. They check the value of the bloody thing when you insure it. Anyway I could rant all day on this but I won't.

Upsetting that we are going to end up so out of pocket but then innnocent people end up with much worse happening to them through no fault of their own so I have to be thankful we were fine. Dylan (age 8)  is still wetting the bed though, has been since we got home, hubby can't get to sleep for worrying about things and I wake up at silly hours and then can't get back to sleep again. What a bunch! Enough of mymoaning.

Looked after my nephews this morning and took them to toddlers then when I took them home at arranged time there was no sign of hubbys brother (their dad). Waited around for half an hour and then was just going to take them back home here when my SIL appeared home from work to grab something during her luch hour. Anyway eventually traced BIL down to parents in laws house where he was working on something in the shed and had totally forgotten about the boys! Men, it must run in their family!

• Options

TT - well at least she is here so you now know where you are.

((lotte and family)) - and OMG to BIL!

i did another 5.5 miles today in the hills and my knee is still working.  image

i don't want any telly really.  certainly would never have been 'allowed' to watch spooks while living with T as that would not have been his kind of thing.  and i just don't put the TV on now i am on my own. so i don't know what i'm missing, clearly.

• Options
    oh - and just had a bit of a laugh.  have just received an email to say i have been nominated as 'student of the year' for the professional qualification that i took earlier this year by the industry body that awards the qualifications! i am on a short-list of 3, so obviously got a top 3 mark in my exam.  it is very funny though - can't have been many people taking the exam this year! i got something  like 92% or something in the exam, so am surprised i have been nominated. would have expected people to have got a higher mark than that.  i have to wait unil nov 8th to find out if i have got the award but it is being presented at the industry dinners, which i can't go to as they are in london and it is my night for the kids that night - and i am NOT missing out on my kids.  image No idea what form the awards take - probably just a lump of wood!
  • Options

TT - I'm sorry to hear AF has arrived but I suppose at least now you know and don't be surprised if AF turns up early next month to make up!

CM well done!

Lotte - get to the docs and explain you are not sleeping, get hubby to go too if it is interrupting his sleep and get it documented that Dylan is wetting bed. Particularly if Dylan's situation persists then you have a claim (on his behalf) for the distress especially if he's never done that before.  Is he troubled in any other way?   Do any of you still have any other aches and pains?  Don't rule out claiming because at the end of the day you are taking a hit as a result of something not your fault at all.  It would likely be a MIB claim given the vehicle was stolen. Trouble is you would need to get English lawyers.  Does your policy have any entitlement to legal advice?  They may also be able to get stuff back for you such as any excess you've had to pay and could also look into the valuation of the car.  You might want to check things such as second hand ads for the transporter and present them to your insurance co as evidence.  You could also ask if they would do another valuation.  It sounds like a lot to lose although clearly vehicles do depreciate in value.

Gotta run someone needs me at work!