Birmingham & Black Country Half-Marathon

Just found this in events. It's prob old news but news to me :-) We've got to try and support this one. It's FREE to enter and you even get a goody bag!

... who knows, if it's successful they may get sponsorship next year and offer a MEDAL! ;-)

Comments

• Gah, goes through the tunnel at Coseley, hate that :( Might do it and take detour, the local start is nice.
  • Would that be the very long, dark and bumpy underfoot tunnel notpete? Have run through one of that description but I never have any idea where I am in the normal world when I'm on that canal system :-)
  • Snap! Probably why I ended up on the Grand Union Canal - destination London, instead of ever reaching the Dog and Doublet :)

And yes, it's long, dark and bumpy underfoot - and it'll be about 4 miles in :) I've never tried running the length of it, even with a torch. It's a tad too dark and slippy in the middle.

Still, guessing it finishes at Gas Street Basin, and there are far worse places of spending a nice Sunday afternoon in Summer!
  • rc: looks like you need to rasie £50 in sponorship to enter ?
  • There is no entry fee - all we ask is that you aim to raise at least £50 by asking friends and family to sponsor you. Your entry will be guaranteed as soon as you register and you will be sent a sponsorship form straight away.
  • Oh! Didn't see that bit!! Hmmm, hate it when you are pressured into that kind of thing and £50 is a large entry fee.

AA, Notpete - want to sponsor me £25 quid to do this race I'm interested in? ;-)
  • I'd be up for the 10k - starts from Dudley an hour after the half starts - do I avoid the long tunnel?
  • AA: Where are the details of the 10k - can't find them? Will definitely miss tunnel if you're starting at Dudley.

Don't understand the sponsorship thing - if he wants to raise £500, and wants 50 runners, surely a £10-15 entry fee would be better? Profits to charity, 22% gift aid - may even be enough left for a medal, RC :)
  • Hey, perhaps we could win our entry fee at BINGO! :-)

Hasn't been particularly well advertised. Not seen any fliers at races, then again, not really been doing any races!?!

When is/was the Stourbridge Stagger? That's around now isn't it?
  • notpete: 10k

that's all the info on it
  • notpete: 10k

that's all the info on it
  • Cheers Notpete, just found it.

..... ahhh, a medal :-) They could have an engraving of Broad Street and a bottle of red wine in the foreground. Or maybe Big Johns and a kebab. Or even the front of walkabout bar ..... the possibilities are endless ;-)
  • BOING!!

Where are all the Brummies? No one interested?
  • Caz

Not running at the mo - dodgy knee thingy - will never gete up to 1/2 mara in a month - might be off to ironbridge instead for a tri
  • I'd have been up for this but am doing a 100k the day before :o( Definitely a supporter of the event in principle because we need more good longer races here in the West Midlands.
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭
    I'll be there - In support for local races.

Notepete - Can I borrow ya head torch?

• what a SHAME

Im doing an ultra that day-or i would have been there
  • A bloke who seems to be organising this has started another thread on and says that you don't HAVE to raise the £50 but would like donations if not sponsorship.

Shame so many already have plans.

Going to try and be there list
    ------------------------------
    Running Caz
    Prue
    AA (10k)?
    Notpete?
  • I'll have to mention it to the cobra lot, although I doubt Waylander will be interested as it crosses over to the dark side for the finish!
  • jo_21jo_21 ✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    I'm really keen to enter this as although I live in Sheffield I'm from Birmingham and always eager to combine visits to family with races, plus all the half marathons near me in the summer involve running up and down in the peak district, and I prefer something a bit flatter in the heat...

Anyway, I was wondering just how bad that tunnel is, do you think they might put some kind of portable light thing( no idea how ) in it?
  • Really wish you luck on this event Mr Organizer. Regrettably a bout of piracy at Dorney lake the following week will keep me away.

Best of.
  • jo_21: Well, you can see the end of the tunnel from the start, so it's not thatbad (see http://www.mike-stevens.co.uk/reports/cruise1986a/097a22.htm) It's about 400 yards long, takes 4-5 minutes to walk through. Doubt they'll put lights in - think he said to bring a torch :)

• Right, just entered! Have to stop moaning about no events in Birmingham now!!

Would be so good if this can take off, good luck to the organizer!!
  • Wow! Thanks for all your comments, I am Mr Organiser so it's nice to see there is some interest in the race!

The tunnel is pretty long and I think the best way to deal with it at present is for people to bring a torch and someone will hand out your torches at the start of the tunnel and someone else can collect them at the end of it!

Unless anyone knows a good detour?

The other alternative I am considering is lighting up the tunnel but I can't conceive of a way to get powered lighting set up in the middle of nowhere!

Regarding the sponsorship - I reiterate that it is optional. It is quite a lot to raise and if you raise ANYTHING I will be very grateful! As pointed out, if 50 people raise just £10 each I will reach my target.

I am going to put flyers in local running shops, sports centres, etc soon. First I need a sponsor - a local business willing to give a bit to charity in return for having their logo on the flyers and other publicity. Let me know if you can think of any!

In the meantime publicise this event by inviting your friends/running clubs along!

And yes, hopefully the event (or a similar event) will be properly run in future. If we get a good turnout on the day we can go to the council with this and try and get something set up!

Thanks,
    Andy K
  • The word is certainly getteing around as my club have e-mailed me about this even though I was going to tell them about it :-)
  • Well I'm certainly up for the 10k.
    Where would that start from in Dudley?

Andy K: Do we just turn up on the day? - I'm sure I can raise at least £20.

rc: Drinks at Brindley Place then after :)
    Maybe you need to start work on a car plan a la tissington proportions :)
  • Well I'm certainly up for the 10k.
    Where would that start from in Dudley?

Andy K: Do we just turn up on the day? - I'm sure I can raise at least £20.
    I've entered online ( even though there isn't online entry for 10k - I've attached a note saying I only wish to do the 10k )
    Presume this is the only way to receive a sponsorship form?

rc: Drinks at Brindley Place then after :)
    Maybe you need to start work on a car plan a la tissington proportions :)
  • HI ALL I LIVE CLOSE TO THE TUNNEL AND IT IS POSSIBLE TO DETOUR BY GOING OVER THE BRIDGE TOWARDS THE SCHOOL,UP THE ROAD TURN LEFT THEN RIGHT AND THEN THERE ARE A SET OF STEPS DOWN BACK ONTO THE CANAL PATH IN SCHOOL STREET,WHY DONT YOU TAKE A WALK UP ANDY AND HAVE A LOOK AT AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTETO THE TUNNE, BECAUSE IT IS QUITE UNEVEN UNDERFOOT INSIDE THERE,CHEERS TREVOR
  • I have run to that tunnel on previous occassions and basically I would not try running through it. If you are tall 6'2" you will probably have to duck all the way (about 250 yards), also the path through is a bit slippy but more importantly you may twist an ankle going through it as it is uneven.
    Have not looked a Trevor's detour above but walking through the tunnel may be quicker than an up and over detour.

Walk through the tunnel is my recommendation.

Chris.