Birmingham & Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• Emma B - AA is right, we're a good bunch and there is usually someone running somewhere. I do many runs on me tod along the canals and have always felt pretty safe but you never know?!? I tend to go in the morning or afternoon at weekends though rather than evening.

This event is sounding pretty well organised AK - well done! Hope it all goes well for you. Depending on what time you are all in the pub til after, I may well come and support there :-) Am going to be in Bristol in the a.m. doing another race in it's first year. Sad to be missing this, but it sounds like it'll be around next year ...... are entries for 2008 open yet? ;-)
  • I don't want to be negative about this, BUT has anyone covered the vital aspect of (dare I say it) Public Liability insurance here ? Normally this would be covered by the UKA or MCAA permit, but without a permit, I guess there is no PLI. There is sadly in this day and age the risk of either a runner OR the organiser being sued for millions if a runner should knock a cyclist, pedestrian or fisherman into the canal. And the only other worry on this score is whether it has permission from British Waterways to actually hold the race along the canal - I remember wanting to use an 800 metre stretch of towpath when we started up the Kingsbury Classic, but BW said no because the towpath wasn't wide enough (H&S issues again).
    Other than that, I think I will wait just a little longer for the full details to be posted as promised. There are still some woolly areas which could cause problems - how are you all going to get back to your cars ? Where in Brindley Place are 50 runners going to get changed ? Where is the start ? I guess it's a case of watch this space.
  • Caz and AA thanks for the tips.Have been thinking of joining a running club for some time but, despite having done Londn NY and Dublin marathons I'm not sure I'm up to club standard yet!! I live in south Birmingham, but nearest club is Halesowen Harriers and joining them seems to be a bureaucratic nightmare!!! But if there are regular jaunts around Sutton I will try my best to get to them when I can...
    Despite AK's assurances I have to echo Rich T's concerns about liability insurance... I know we're not talking massive numbers but what would happen if anyone were (god forbid) to fall in the water?
    Off to work now but catch you all later, if not have a top weekend. ;-)
  • Emma - I have been with Amazing Feet RC since 1989 and there is no problem with joining or with you being of a certain standard. I live in North Birmingham and the club is based in Kidderminster, so your location wouldn't be a problem. We have 17 running in tonight's Blakedown Bolt 10km - another first time event.
    It's not the runners that may have a problem with PLI as I'm sure none of them would even think of suing - but it's the stroppy walker who jumps out of the way of a runner then decides to blame someone.
  • Emma - I have been with Amazing Feet RC since 1989 and there is no problem with joining or with you being of a certain standard. I live in North Birmingham and the club is based in Kidderminster, so your location wouldn't be a problem. We have 17 running in tonight's Blakedown Bolt 10km - another first time event.
    It's not the runners that may have a problem with PLI as I'm sure none of them would even think of suing - but it's the stroppy walker who jumps out of the way of a runner then decides to blame someone.
  • EB 2 - may I recommend Cobra RC. They are also in Halesowen and a very friendly club. I run for them. Fees only £25 a year and they run on Tues and Thurs all abilities and wed ladies only. Also do runs Sun a.m and in summer alot of these are over hills, fields etc. They are based at the swimming baths.

Have to admit, have always thought Amazing Feet seem like a great club too :-)
  • Thanks for your further comments. Public Liability Insurance was mentioned to me a while ago and the Anthony Nolan Trust are helping out here by adding a clause to their current policy.

I am in contact with Birmingham City Council, the West Midlands Police, and the British Waterways Network about permission to use the towpath. Still some work to be done here but given the small entry levels I hope we will get away with it!
  • emma b: Bournville Harriers are based in bournville b'ham and meet mon and thurs nights. Big membership and a wide variety of paces - I'm in East Birmingham and it only takes me about 15 mins to get there outside rush-hour.

Feel free to pop down any mon /thurs eve

link
  • ..any club that will have RC as a member.....
  • Looking for a Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday night running club myself. I live in Tipton but Tipton Harriers want £50 a year which I am not sure but sounded a bit steep, is that about normal, what do other clubs charge ?

Still in two minds about this run but weakening and shall most likely go for it.

Well done Andy.
  • As for the liabilty thing, Birmingham unversity run a race called 'Racin the Basin' along the canal towpath to Gas street basin and back. It is the best race I have run (so far) but they got access to the canals.....

Andy, I think I must stress that it may be unwise to try to run through the tunnel, I walked through it earlier this week without a touch but underfoot it is slippy, walk through maybe ? (Any excuse for a rest).

Chris.
  • I agree re: the tunnel. I think it is best to walk it and I will be advising all entrants to do so.

It is very odd and a bit annoying but this is the price we have to pay for not running on roads, which is making the race considerably easier to organise.
  • I've entered! Now what I need is someone to meet me in Birmingham where I park the caravanette and give me a lift to the start. Then at the end I can give 4- 5 people a lift back to their cars.

Anthony - are you up for this? It's not that far on the roads and if push comes to shove I could make two journeys.

I spoke to Andy on the phone earlier and he's well up for this - it could be great fun , a small field of around 60. Get in quick!!
  • Emma B2. Informal running group meets every sat 8.00 a.m at cocks moors woods leisure centre, Kings Heath, mixed ability group - mostly female - very friendly - have made me very welcome. Roads and towpath. The ladies also meet there on, I think, weds evenings to train/run (we're not allowed). Might be worth a visit or phone call to Sally. GJG
  • Emma B2.(Sally works at the leisure centre and runs the group.) GJG
  • GoJimGo - Who does the notice board there? Lurker text me to tell me that there's a photo of me running on the noticeboard?!?!!?
  • sally does

:-)

one of the cocks moores women is also in the pic
    you are next to her hence why you are in the pic
  • GJG
    you must live near me
    i used to run with the ladies on a wednesday as i only live down the road

i might be returning soon as i am now free some wednesdays
  • HI guys,
    Am still at work grrr... but thanks for all the recommendations, never felt so popular!!
    Would be tempted to try the Cocks Moore 8am on Sat but unfortunately will be halfway down the M40 tomorrow, that is if I ever get out of the office.
    Have a good weekend all and no doubt will catch up on more updates next week.
    Brady
  • Lurker. Used to call myself brooklanerunner. GJG
  • Lurker :-) .... did you mean to say that I was PASSING one of the cocksmoore gang? ;-)
  • So _who_ has actually enetered yet?

I have - and I'm looking forward to it!
  • you were next to her Caz

i noticed because she is one of the mums i speak to in the school playground

she is the woman who asked me if i could run 6 min miles because she was doing 7 and wanted to speed up
    she has a more realistice attitude to training now that she runs at cocks moors

we are neighbours GJG - ish
    i am near KH high st
  • Carol&Mike,
    Do not think I will be doing this one but good luck, injury begining to bother me.......Instead going over to Ironbridge to watch the Tri. I am not a very good spectator though I do admit.

Good luck all.
  • Lurker. A lot of us from cocks moors are doing the half at nottm, sept. if u fancy it! BTW my youngest is at KHP. GJG

Back to the thread, great that a local half seems to be getting off the ground, but too soon for me.
  • yeah i know

but i am trying to get them away from the nottingham half and towards the JWUltra (29th september)
    which i am part of the organising team for

there is a relay too - 3*10 miles (ish)

mine are at StD
    but i know loads of people at KH so we probably know each other
    or know people in common

i am trying to recognise the child in the picture, my youngest is 7 so i don't really know anyone with younger kids

• was gonna mail you but you are not enabled
    there is at least one other parent at KH school who runs with bournville harriers where i do (when my back is better)
    his son is quite young - reception i think