Birmingham & Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• Chris M - i'd go for it , you could run walk it , it'll be a hoot . I can't run halfs for toffee but I'm eager to run the canals!
  • A few details to finalise but we are getting there now...

Does 10.30am sound like a good start time for the half? hopefully this will put the majority of us at the finish by 12-12.30 just in time for a bit of well deserved food and drink.

Also how important are changing facilities? A couple of moans about the lack thereof, but I don't remember ever having facilities on offer at a half! Would people be happy to throw on a tracksuit or civvies over running kit at the finish and still hang around for a bit of refreshment? Might be a bit pongy but that's why I was thinking Brindley Place - i.e. sat outside.

Who would be up for a lift share type scheme as well? I was thinking people can use the trains to get back to Wolves but it has been mentioned that the stations are all quite far from Brindley Place. I suggest that getting a train to Wolves would be best if you live in Brum.

The 10k is proving to be a logistical "challenge" but as long as entrants are happy to come to the start of the half and be driven to the start of the 10k it will be easy enough. There will only be a few people doing the 10k, hope people don't mind as you will have half marathon runners to kick past!
  • I hope everything goes well Andy after all your hard work. I'm gonna give it a miss - logistically with cars in one place and bodies in others, plus the fun in the tunnel and the seeming lack of the usual organisational factors gives the impressionit could be a long day. Hope you all enjoy it - I may see you at the finish as it is the last day of the Birmingham International Jazz Festival, and Brindley Place is likely to be packed if the weather is OK. I am likely to be sat outside one of the bars with food and drink at the ready.
    Good luck !
  • So can we have a roll call as to who here is _actually_ doing this? I don't want to do this on my own!
  • I'm in Carol/Mike, so that's at least two people...although AK claimes he's got 40 signed up already...

Btw Running Caz what time do Cobra AC meet and where exactly? Thinking of trying to get along to a session next week, when am back on daylight shifts!
  • EB2 - they meet on Tues at 6:30 and Thurs at 7:00. Not sure of time on ladies night (Wed) as I've never been. They meet in the entrance to the Halesowen Swimming baths, but I dont know the name of the road .... I'll see if I can find out for you.
  • Oh thats me and you then Emma, I'm going to take this one really easy , a slow start rather than a slaughter of a race like I did at Stafford Half.
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    damn, same weekend as Kent 52 otherwise this would have been a definite. And a chance for an impromptu social :-)

Enjoy folks...
  • When will those who have entered get more info?
  • Your guess is as good as mine carol/mike, and btw does anyone have any clue as to what the best vantage points would be for spectators? My dad wants to lend his support, but suspect canal paths being narrow as they are will make that tricky!
  • Your guess is as good as mine carol/mike, and btw does anyone have any clue as to what the best vantage points would be for spectators? My dad wants to lend his support, but suspect canal paths being narrow as they are will make that tricky!
  • EB2. There are a couple of points where the path is quite wide and also there are road bridges that cross the canal too. Your dad could wait at the first bridge, wave to you etc, then drive to second bridge on and on. And if you are really lucky he will have a nice cool pint at the end for you waiting.......................
  • Well it says its full now - I haven't heard anything. Do I get a number or shall I collect it?
  • Hope all goes well with this. Defo wont be there as a)it's full and I haven't entered, and b)I've just entered Blaise Battleships Mental Race which is just outside Bristol on the same day.

Hopefully if all goes well, this may be a bigger event next year and offer a medal .... in which case there will be no stopping me. Best of luck.

Oh, and race organiser ...... I'd get some info to MH if I were you. He's starting to get a bit twitchy and hot under the collar ;-)
  • I'm really looking forward to this - a sort of cannonball run , an unofficial race!
  • When will we get more details?
  • Maps, race numbers and final instructions will be in the post this week.

Instructions to runners as they stand:

Arrive at Wolverhampton train station between 9.45 and 10.15 to hand in your kit bags for transportation to the finish. You will then be directed to the start for 10.30 and the race will begin. Also hand over a torch or head torch with your number attached so we can hand them out on the way into the tunnel. YOU MUST PROVIDE YOUR OWN TORCH WITH WORKING BATTERIES. Without this we have no Public Liability Insurance and the race is off.

10k runners also arrive at the train station, same time. You will be driven to your start line (or you can drive and follow me if you wish). 10k runners also hand kit bags over for collection at the finish, but you don't need torches.

The finish line is BEHIND the Sea Life Centre. I could not get permission to use Brindley Place as there are other events on, but we will end the race on the towpath directly adjoining it.

The course is easy to follow and will be marked out where necessary.

Good vantage points at the end of the race would be found on the bridge between the Sea Life Centre and the NIA. We will be within a stone's throw of lots of different drinking establishments where friends and family can wait for you/rehydrate you.

Good vantage points during the race are hard to describe and can be hard to reach. If you want someone cheering you in the home straight I would recommend that they park for free on or near the St Vincent Street Bridge (near NIA) where they will see you coming from a few hundred metres off. This is also within walking distance of the finish line for them to come and meet you. There are lots of free parking spaces around this area and around Sherborne Street but I would allow a few minutes extra to find a space.

If your supporters want to cheer you on at other points in the race - I will be marking access points on the course map so you should be able to find a few places.

Unfortunately there are no changing facilities available to us so please pack towels, tracksuits and other layers you can put on over race kit at the end.

Transportation back from the race finish is the biggest logistical challenge. I would recommend getting a friend to give you a lift back from the finish. They can park around St Vincent Street as above, and meet you at the finish or in Brindley Place. If you are travelling alone it might be best to park near St Vincent Street in the morning and then go to Wolverhampton by train, so you will have your car nearby at the end.

There is also the option of sharing lifts with other runners - contact other runners through the Runner's World forum.

Have I missed anything?

Cheers,
    Andy K
  • Unfortunately not doing this one, going over to Ironbridge to watch my girlfriend do a triathalon but good luck everyone.

• Here we go!! I'll see if I can find a spare torch or two in case anyone forgets theirs. Unless anyone needs a lift back to Wolverhampton , I'll be with carol in the Audi car so there may not be room if an undecided child wants to come along . if anyone does really need a lift I'll come in the van.

I'll know for 100% by Fri night.

I'm well ready for this - it'll be fun , I'm taking it easy .
  • I hope there was enough postage on the stuff you sent out andy because I haven't got it yet.
  • Ditto...no sign of any numbers or info my end either!
    Also if anyone wants to drive to Brum and meet at New Street station, I think the first train to Wolverhampton next Sunday is about 9.18, getting in at about 9.40ish
    Well it solves thte how to I get my aching limbs back to Wolvo to pick up the car woes.
  • ...nearly there I promise! I've spent today going over the route for a final check and I will be up at 4am tomorrow morning to put print off all the info and numbers, and stuff it into envelopes. These should be with you on Saturday morning!

The route is looking ok, but all the recent rain has left a few deep puddles in places (hope you don't mind getting a bit muddy). The tunnel is also a bit slippery so please take it steady. The first of the drink stations is at the tunnel entrance so it might be wise to enjoy a drink break and a walk through the tunnel. Drink stations are roughly every 5k.

I've put the route into google maps using www.walkjogrun.net for anyone who wants to see a detailed version. Measuring from Wolverhampton train station to the finish line in Brindley Place gives 13.9 miles - so there will be a 0.8mile warm up walk/jog to the start line.

The start of the 10k is between Brades Road and Lower City Road bridges, but it would be easier for the 10k runners to arrive at Wolverhampton along with everyone else and get a lift from me.

Hope you're all ready for this...
  • Hello guys!

Just back from a run along birmingham end of course, and as Andy says there are several puddles!!

All adds to the fun in my opinion!

See ya all on the 15th...
  • I hope the numbers will get here by Sat morning , there has been industrial action in the post office and we've had post problems all week.

I hope they do come - left it a bit late I think:)
  • Yes I agree, I think Mr Organiser has left it very late indeed! Sorry about that, I can only put it down to the fact that this is a bit of a one man show at the minute!
  • What happens if they don't come?

I went to the canal today - just up past Dudley road hospital, it splits in to two up there , a top loop and bottom lop. I can take it we are going the bottom loop ?
  • Not sure where Dudley Road hospital is - basically we follow what's called the Birmingham Mail Line. There's a stretch in the middle where 2 lines run parallel to each other. The northern one is the New Main Line and the Southern one is the Old Main Line.

We would use the New, because the towpath is a bit nicer, however it is closed for repair. Hence we use the Old bit. If this is where you mean, yes we are taking the bottom loop.

If the race packs don't come in time we will have to improvise. At the end of the day, all we have to do is turn up at Wolvo train station, and run to Birmingham. All the rest is mere details.

Is that a bad motto for a race organiser to have?
  • Well my number hasn't turned up , if you could tell me my number andy I'll make one up and pin it to me and put it on the torch.

EMMA - my wife is driving me tommorrow in our car and not in my van , we have room for 2 adults. Meet me and my wife tommorrow at wolverhampton , run the race and she'll meet us back at Birmingham then drive you back to wolverhampton. it'll save messing about with the train.

We'll have a spare seat too for someone else.
  • Have faith Mike, wait until Monday morning.

The race is not tomorrow!