My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• As I approach the end of week 4 of marathon training, I can feel my overweight lazy body starting to respond to its regular punishment, slowly but surely. 10k isn't the death sentence it used to be, and 5k seems like a frivilous distance now image

• Pete,

couldn't have put it better myself - I can relate totally to everything you say.   You're very brave doing the full marathon - the half seems daunting at the moment. 

• Well done guys, good to hear everyone getting out there image

I'm planning a 10k on Feb10th in Fort William, this will be my first race since beginning of Nov.

Aiming to use it as a training run, aiming to get back under 60 mins. my Pb from last sept is 57:50.

Still very icy up here so my 5 miles was a trial today !!

Stay safe

Adbru 

• Getting close now - knocked 4 mins off the PB this morning and did 10k in 1:03:33. image
  • PeteDaddy - in a race situation, you'd smash 60 mins.

The adrenaline makes a huge huge difference.

I was getting high 40s (mins) on my practise runs and got 44m (including about 2 mins lost to a marshalling error)  on a real race- however once the adrenaline wore off, I couldn't stand for ages!

• Thanks Matt image

I despair though when I calculate just how much faster I'd have to go to get 'high 40s'. yikes image 

• Pete - don't worry. I'm a slightly weird exercise loon who took up running last June.

Get yourself signed up to a race if you can - very satisfying but expect your legs to be out of action for several days afterwards - mine were terrible! 

• Oh I've been in several 10ks since I started running Matt image Usually clock in at about 1hr 10 or a little under, but my last one was a while ago so I'm hoping for more next time! image
  • Oops - sorry Pete - I'm not the best at keeping up!

I've done two and the second one (44m07s but should have been about 42mins -  marshalls sent us the wrong way!!) went a lot better than the first (52m27s - insanely muddy and hilly though). Felt like expiring on both though! 

I'm sure you'll crack the hour soon. 

• Hi everyone

plenty of gentle training will do it all nicely, speed will come with time and fitness

my solo 10k best 20 years ago was around 34.30

my best now pushing Phillip in his wheelchair is 46.30

our slowest 10k on a very hilly course in the heat of summer is about 58 minutes

so, if we can do it, with concentration , dedication, and focus, and sheer will all of you can

Enjoy it .. Feel Free !!!!!

micknphil-marathonlads.co.uk

• Mick and Phil, that gives me something to aim for, your 10k time is the same as my 5k time and you've got the addition of the wheelchair!

Well done, you look like you were both enjoying yourselves so much! Its going to give me something to aim for 10k in under 60 here I come!
  • 10k in 43 minutes?!  image

That'll teach me to think I was semi quick image

• And maybe dyslexic too!

I meant 34 minutes!!  

• Mick and Phil that some going, well done. No reason for any of us not to do it!!! Sticking to my plan and finshed a good 8 miles last week and feel pretty pleased with that. Slowly but surely each run is getting easier. I have tried the early morning run and evening and find if I do one of each and my long run on the Sun it seems to work great! Well it works for me. image

Sticking to it NBFS!

• 34 minutes is insanely fast, but an amazing effort. I've seen mick'n'phil's story here and there a few times. Their speed is phenomenal image
  • Denise

that famous phrase in running i'm afaid

we'll it works for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like pure GOLD

and that's all that mattters !

• Hi Pete daddy

hoping all's well with you

• Hi Denise,

sounds like you're doing really well - putting me to shame at the moment I'm afraid.  Problem is I keep going on holiday - just back from a trip to the far east.  Managed to run a little on the treadmill - did about 23K in 10 days which is nowhere near enough.  Plan is to run a little tonight - assuming I can stay awake later than 6.00 PM due to jet lag.  Then back out Sunday for 5 or 6 miles - I'm hoping then I can pick up the schedule next week.  It will be quite strange running out in the cold - humidity in Thailand was 85% and the temperature about 90 degrees so it was definately a different experience running in those conditions - I'm actually looking forward to getting out in the cold air!

Micknphil - can't even begin to comprehend how you manage those sort of times - inspirational stuff!

NBFS 

• Micknphil,

since posting my message above I have just had a look at your website - you guys really are an inspiration.  To see joy on Phillip's face at the end of a run just shows the power of running - it really can be life changing for so many reasons.  Your words of encouragement above really do make such a difference to people like me that plod around trying to get a little bit fitter and a little bit faster. 

I do find this website so useful to give me that little bit of a push from time to time when I'm struggling to stay focused - thanks all and keep running!

NBFS

• Morning NRFS,

I totally agree that this site gives you that focus you sometimes need!!! It was a lovely day yesterday and the running was good! I say good as I had a glass of wine to many the night before and so struggled on. Sounds like you get about a bit and so I can imagine that running in these nice 'fresh' conditions may be better. I couldn't run in that heat! Now you seem to be picking up the pace and I really need to get my legs in gear this week.

Have a cracking week all,

Micknphil 'it works for me ha ha'

Denise image

• Today was Simply so perfect
    Today we headed for Wokingham HM, it was to be our 161 ST HM together,

The weather was just so perfect, little did i know just how perfect the day would end up being... we met friends, had lots of laughs with people,

I knew today we could NOT race as race, as we have Draycote FM of 5 laps next week, so we set about hoping for anywhere around 2 hours or just under...

things started off just nice and quiet, could'nt move for 2 miles or so, which completely suited me, but i was to find gaps and soon get into my grove, and find what i am good at and enjoy doing.. i felt so happy, i felt free

it was very short lived though sadly, before we knew it we were through half way, never really noticing anything pace or distance wise, it was another day were we could have gone on and conquered 20 miles

trying to support fellow runners etc

i knew in our early days together we were clocking for HM's 1.43 onwards, but i really thought that that had gone now, what with Phillip being 6 years older and heavier, and of course me being an old git now

so, we smelt the finish in the distance, we pushed on remembering every time we picked up pace we had a FM next week, so i held back best i could

we eventually crossed the line on our watch at around 1 hour 48 mins , i knew we crossed the start line on about 4 plus mins, and the finish clock was on 1.52 , so yes

i felt so good, so really good, could'nt quite believe what i'd done

We went back to about 2 mile mark ish, cheering runners in, it was good to help others,

it's left me feeling just on top of the world again

So, i ain't finished yet !!!

There'll be more of Mick n Phil to come i reckon
  • Mick n Phil - sounds like an awesome day - thanks for sharing it with us.

Managed 6 miles yesterday back in the wonderful, cold, foggy, damp UK and it felt just great!  59 minutes for 6 miles was really where I left off so I'm quite pleased that I haven't ruined all the hard work from before I went away.  5 weeks now until the Half Marathon in Cyprus - really need to concentrate on getting mileage up without losing pace - reckon I should be able to finish in around 2 hours 15 which I would be delighted with - to be honest though just to finish would be enough. 

Denise - the one too many glasses of wine story sounds familiar - I think I wouldn't feel quite right on my long Sunday run if I didn't have a bit of a fuzzy head from the night before - funny though soon seems to clear once you get out running - maybe the miracle cure for a hangover we've all been searching for all these years.  When is your half marathon Denise, I'm sure you've said somewhere?  What mileage are you up to now?  

NBFS

• Hi NBFS,

I am aiming for the 10k in Leeds. Maybe half Marathon next year. I have been running on and off since year before last. Completed 2 race for life, which is only 5 k but a great achievement at the time, so now the 10k. The plan I am following is a long steady plan and I have another 18 weeks to go. I would say that I am only upto 4 miles at the min in one run, so a little further to go. By the time I get to June I should be well away. Feeling fitter for it that's for sure. I have always done something, so I am quite active. Do you ever stay in the country for 2 mins??

Well better get some work done.

Deniseimage

• 10:05pm, Monday 11th February 2008 comment on this entry | edit | delete A perfect evening
    Hi Folkes

we've had a super time tonight with Stratford on Avon AC on the track

we covered about 5 miles in around 45 mins, it was lovely and cool and relaxing, it was perfect

though i'm going to rest my body now until Sunday for the Draycote 5 lap marathon,

though it should be EASY .. EASY .. EASY
  • Hi Denise,

I started by running on a treadmill for as long as I could. The first time I tried it, it was 3 minutes image After a while I managed to go for as long as 20 minutes at a 10minute mile pace, and then I entered a 5k. I wasn't as fast as a 10m/m but I managed to jog all the way around. 

Getting to 10k at first is hard, but I'd recommend slowing down enough so that you can go the distance and never mind about how quick you do it. When you've done it once, every time after that gets a bit easier. The first time I did 10k around my local park I was stumbling by the end of it and my feet cramped up terribly afterwards, but after that it became much less hard image

Anyway, in keeping with the original theme of this topic, I pleasingly put in a new 4 mile PB today of 39:30. If I could just keep up the same pace for 20 more minutes I'd be extremely close to that sub-60 10k barrier image

• In getting fit, and just getting there,

i would just quielty gradualy move up in distance.. time does not matter

as and when you feel fitter and mentally stronger, your pace will increase

• Denise,

the Leeds 10K sounds as though it's going to be a fantastic race - Jane Tomlinson's story is amazing and you can't fail to be inspired by somebody who did what she did.  It's great that you've done the race for life twice - it really is a great achievment, running 5K is still something a lot of people will never do in their life.  Sounds like you are well on track if you are up to 4 miles - as Mick n'phil says it's just about gradually building the distance rather than forcing things and worrying about pace. 

It's funny - last night I decided to try and run 2 miles a little quicker that I have been - my thinking was that if I can run 6 miles in an hour I must be able to run 2 miles a lot quicker than 10 minute miles - anyway - I set off too quickly, was totally exhausted after half a mile and just about managed to finish on 20 minutes - so a valuable lesson learnt!  Wish I'd read you comments above before I set off Mick n'phil!!

I wouldn't mind trying the Leeds 10K - I'm still determined to do a 10K race in 60 minutes - missed it by 20 seconds last time.  What's the course like- do you know?  Is it a potential PB course or is it quite hilly? 

NBFS

• NBFS

don't worry, we all get complaceant at times, this is a LONG gradual road, your going to make mistakes,

i still say, just flow along as you feel, it's for you, not your friends or neighbours

in time you'll  feel physically fit and mentally good, and you'll look back and start to help and advise others

a guy i  know, askes a Martial arts instructor, " How long does it take to make Black belt,"

i though it was a bloody stupid question myself, as i thought the answer was obvious

but, the reply was " How long is a piece of string "

it's the same with running .. it's gradual persivierance !!

it's down to the individual, you want it or you don't want it !

• Hi there guys,

NBFS, Micknphil, Petedaddy. Thanks for the feedback and banter about how to improve on things. It really does help if your having a bad week. Alot on at work so will have to get out at the weekend and make up for it!! I have only done one run this week!

NBFS the race in Leeds is through the streets. So I think it will be mainly on the flat from what I know of Leeds. I am looking forward to it, very much(she says!!) No honest it really has given me focus. You should do it! I just went on the 10k race site through here and thats me in the race! Great and worthy cause! Race for life was too!

Well with the weather being as fine as it is, well it where I am, there really is no excuse for not donning my kit and getting on with it.

Catch you all soon!

Deniseimage

• Mick n phil, thanks for words of enouragement, they really do help.  I think you're right - I just need to go along at a natural pace and not worry so much about the time.  Funny, without worrying at all about time I managed 5 miles in 47 minutes - still slow I know but quick for me.  Running this week has been good - starting to feel fitter again after the holiday. 

Denise - the Leeds 10K does look really good - I am very tempted to enter, it will be some experience to run a race with so many runners, plus there are some excellent charities involved.  The course looks pretty flat so this might the the chance to finally finish a 10K race in under an hour.

Hope your running goes well at the weekend.

NBFS