My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• yeah totally with you on that one terrie, i love the rain and cold and puddles, been snowing here today and would love to have gone out in that
  • I like cold air too. Invigorating and denser, so you can breathe harder (cars go faster when it's cold too!).

My Asics Morikos are a bonus in this weather - Gore Tex lined so waterproof (as long as water doesn't our in the ankle area!). Really nice running in the wet with dry feet.

Off for an MTB ride later, and running tomorrow.

Stunning weather here today. 

• was snowing here earlier too as i was driving in to work and yes i wanted to go and run! the cold air seems to make me cough loads when i come back into the warm, so lungs get a good clear out!!!! 

trainers sound good matt, did they cost loads?, running in the wet wiv dry feet sounds good, although i have been known to run in water above my ankles! it was great fun, reminded me of riding on a beach and cantering thru the waves at the waters edge - dream dream.......

MTB ride sounds good too, although broke a rib doing that a couple of years ago, but it was in the summer when the ground was very hard.

• 10 mile MTB ride, 4 mile run yesterday and now back into our pre work daily 10 mile ride (wife and I) which seems to give a really good base fitness to build on for other stuff. 

Wakes us up too! 

Trainers were  great value - RRP is about £80 but everywhere does them for £55-60ish. I really rate them - just make sure you spray them quite often with protector spray (about £3).

Really hate breaking a rib. 

• Good morning all.  Cracking weekend in Wiltshire and run my second 10k.  Managed to knock 8 minutes off my time.  Was hoping to get as near to 50 minutes as I could though I never thought I'd really get the close...!  Anyway, managed to finish in 51:34.  Felt really good (now, not then)!  Next target is to crack 50 minutes before the middle of next year.  Does show how the times do come crashing down if you get into a good routine of running on a regular basis.

Good luck guys!

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/30- PB 61.11 - <60 Dec 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 76.0 <60 May 08
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 44.07 - <40 Apr 08?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Grast_girl - F/27 - PB 29.19 (5k) - <60 Aug 08
    Mark Briggs 2 - M/31 - PB 51.34 - <50 Jun 08
    Adbru - M/41 - PB 57:50  <55 May08 
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 60.40  <60 Sept 08
    DianaD - F/53 PB 56.03 <55 Jan 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30

• Hi Matt your weekend activities sound good. Thanks for the info on the trainers, perhaps after christmas i will treat myself.

Hi petedaddy, keep up the good work and you will get there.

Well done Mark, i can only dream of 50mins!

• Hi everyone

Haven't been on here for ages. Took a break from running to let my back get back to normal. Also had a weird knee and then a stinking cold. Had to cancel doing a 5k last Sunday - round Crathes Castle. Glad I did because I heard it was a very hilly course! A friend used my pre-entry and was doing the same course as the under 17 and under 15 boys - who all took off ahead of her and she never saw them again! Went to the gym last Friday and went on the treadmill for the first time in ages. Did about 5km in half an hour - just taking it easy. Tried a few other cardio machines then had a swim, steam and jacuzzi - great way to spend the day off work! Tonight it's back to my swimming training and hopefully a run outside - offroad - later in the week.

I'm impressed with everyone else's training - keep it up.

SL

• Another ten mile cycle, another four mile run (if there's no surf, I now run with the dog while wife rides the horse - I run a couple of miles away where's it's much less muddy). I am absolutely exhausted now!

The run is roughly 4 miles (will map it later) and at the halfway mark (not a loop) I was almost two minutes down on last time. Got annoyed with myself and really went for it on the return leg and managed to beat my last time - Phew! Got 31m36s but need to verify the distance. 

• 4.5 miles in total or 7.2km, according to mapmyrun.com.
  • Help - slight problem.  2 weeks in to my half marathon schedule - ran 6.5 miles on Sunday and felt OK afterwards.  Felt fine yesterday apart from the expected stiffness in the legs - didn't do anything other than walk to the car from work so no excercise of any kind.  Woke up last night in agony - sharp pain around the metatarsal on my right foot.  Had an x-ray this morning which didn't show any signs of serious damage.

Don't understand how I can be OK for 2 days after the run and now I'm struggling to walk.  Anyone ever encountered anything similar - any ideas how I can recover quickly enough to not seriously effect my schedule?  I've been plodding along for a couple of years and nothing like this has ever happened - hospital just said take pain killers and rest.

Any advice would be appreciated!image

• Bit weird that it hurts so much but there is no proper diagnosis.

Second opinion needed.

Sounds like a  torn tendon.

• Hi Everyone

Welcome to the newcomers - good to see you are doing good!

Terrie - I'm with you - I can only dream of 60 minutes! image

SL - 5k in 30 minutes - well done you! If that's "taking it easy" you should be well away next season.

Matt - great time! I keep saying that - but they are. You should be on for some fabulous race results next year - anything planned/thought of yet? Are there any good 10k's down your way early in the year? I need another excuse to get Mr DP to take me to Padstow for a couple of days!image

NBFS - strange injury that - you would imagine that anything so bad would appear straight away - the only thing I can think of, as Matt says, is tendon trouble. That can be masked by general "I've worked hard" type ache and then comes back to bite you later! I do hope it's improving now.

I finally got to the gym this morning. Did 15 mins on the bike as a warm up and then 3k on the treadmill - I'd forgotten how awful it is! At least outside you have a breeze to keep you cool - I just got so hot and disgustingly sweaty!

Ho hum - might re-evaluate the "I don't like the cold and wet" attitude if that's the alternative!

Have a good day all! 

• DP - Good to hear from you.

I seem to be consistently running around 7 minute miles which is apparently okay. There is a great sounding coastal 10k coming up in March - http://www.endurancelife.com/coastal_marathon/Cornwall.html

You can do a 10k, half or full marathon (!) but I think I'd stick to 10k. Should be a challenging one. Slight issue is, it's on my wife's Birthday!

Will do the Lanhydrock again and possibly some more - you got any planned?

Got to admit, I used to be a total gym slave. I had different goals (gaining muscle) but the principle was similar. Enjoyed it for many years then suddenly got a bit sick of it all and now do home weights and outdoor exercise - SO much nicer.

Get some good kit (you may already have some?!) and it's much easier I reckon. 

Nbfs - How's the injury? 

• Hi Matt / DP,

thanks for your comments.  Did a bit of self diagnosis via the internet (as you do).  A couple of things sounded familiar, don't ask me what they were, but both suggested a compression bandage on the foot.  Tried this a couple of days ago and the improvement has been remarkable.  Today I feel no pain at all apart from a little tightness in the hamstring - presumably because I've been walking awkwardly for a couple of days.

I'm going to try a gentle couple of miles tonight and see how it goes.  It seems ridiculous that 2 days ago I was in agony when I walked anywhere and now I feel no pain at all.  I'll probably try some sort of support bandage for a few weeks to see if it's just a general weekness. 

Totally with you both on the gym, once you have spent a session in the heat of the gym you really do appreciate how nice it can be running in the fresh air. 

Matt, 7 minute miles is more than good - over a distance that sounds like a pretty quick pace to me.  I'll stick to my 10 minute miles for now.

Talking of kit I got a couple of things from e-bay - long sleeved running shirt and long running pants.  Pants cost me 2.99 plus postage and the shirt £6.00.  Looked in a sports shop last night and the same gear would have cost me at least £60.  Some real bargains to be had and some of the gear is branded.

• Evening All!

Great news NBFS - sounds like your self diagnosis worked just fine - hope the miles passed without incident tonight!

Matt - the coast path looks lovely - alough the "mountain goat terrain" sounds challenging! I wonder how that compares with Lanhydrock! image

Noticed they have Exmoor on the list and that goes through Lynton and Lynmouth - I can't even walk up that hill without stopping - are these guy's nuts?? 

I was sort of planning to do the Bideford Half in March - merely because it uses the Tarka Trail (old railway line) and therefore - flat as a pancake! You don't get many of those around here!

http://www.bidefordaac.co.uk/futureevents.htm

However, the coastal route looks much more interesting! I'll check it out with other half and see if he fancies it. Thanks for the tip off.

I do have all the right clothing - Ron Hill stuff is my favourite, didn't stop me sweating buckets though! image I will check out ebay though NBFS - thanks for the advice!

Time to do some work now - catch up with you later.

• just been out tonight for my first time in a fortnight after resting my injured calf, all was well thankfully. also trying out my new trainers that i decided to treat myself too and very nice they were too
  • Managed 2 miles last night - quite slowly and with my foot quite tightly strapped up but no problems up to now. 

There is quite a bot of Ron Hill gear knocking around on E-bay.  I was looking at the reflective jackets - £45 in the shop and about £18 online.  Also found a handy little water bottle that can be carried while you are running so waiting for that to arrive.

The links to the different runs you both provided are really good - must be great to be running in such beautiful areas of the country - whilst we are near the coast a lot of my running is on busy roads which isn't really very inspiring.  

• i only live about 10 minutes run from the coast, so i tend to run down there and then across the top on the promenade from whitley bay and all the way through to cullercoats or tynemouth, its a really nice run and im looking forward to the north tyneside 10km in march as i think the route for that is along the coat towards the lighthouse in whitley bay
  • SJ,

you're lucky - the North East coast is so spectacular in parts - just love it up there.  I'm on the Wirral Peninsular and whilst the views are OK it's very flat - much prefer the rugged North Easy coast.

• We overlook a very pretty river in the countryside so most runs are along that in woods and fields.

The sea is about 20 mins drive (both North and South coasts are about the same). Very lucky indeed. 

Bit bored of this continual rain - keep getting splattered each morning on our daily ride. 

• All these lovely places - we are also lucky to live between Exmoor and Dartmoor and only 20 minutes from the north Devon coast.  My favourite route takes me across the fields down to the river Taw where the Kingfishers and otters like to play, through the woods and back up through the fields and past the alpaca farm - they are so cute!

The only downside is the hills, but then I'd far rather that than running round a park somewhere surrounded by cars! 

Rain, rain and more rain here too Matt - although we did have a shower of hail earlier, which did make a bit of a change.

Resorted to Christmas shopping on line - yes, things are that bad!

Gym tomorrow if I don't see a bit of blue sky.

Hoping you are all keeping dry! 

• There is quite a bot of Ron Hill gear knocking around on E-bay.  I was looking at the reflective jackets - £45 in the shop and about £18 online.  Also found a handy little water bottle that can be carried while you are running so waiting for that to arrive.

if anyone is looking fro ron hill stuff on ebay, always look up ronhill without the space also, find loads more stuff that way. i got 2 pairs of tracksters for £4 inc delivery, brand new with tags !

gotta love ebay

• Hi SJ

That's brilliant! Still very wet and very windy, so I think I'll stay in doors today. Guess what site I'm off to look at! Thanks very much. 

• no problem, im a bit addicted to ebay, always hunting through for bargains !
  • keep trying petedaddy , you'll crack it one day !
  • hi everyone I'm back! how are we all? xmas is nearly here how is everyone coping with getting out in the cold? im really struggling!

• Hi Sazzler (and everyone else image )

bit quiet in here, I'm just starting again after a bit of an injury image . did my knee/shin - doc thinks its the start of shin-splints !!
    Went out for 3 miles yesterday, first run in nearly two weeks , havent ran properly in over 3 weeks.....
    Didnt feel to bad if a little nippy today, how is everyone else ?? 
    Blooming cold up here ! Just starting the RW "Get you round" marathon schedule for Lochaber in April image  If it all goes well I will try and move over onto another plan in 3 weeks time.

Keep the faith people, I need to build back up to a 60min/10k again now 

Adbru 

• Hi All

Roll on summer! Went out yesterday  for the first time in ages! When I had finished shivering, got on OK, but I do find it hard in the cold. Maybe I'm just a wimp!

My half marathon schedule has completely gone out of the window! I'll have to replan now it has finally stopped raining.

Happily I have some time off over Christmas, and I'm skiing in January, so may be I can make up for my recent inactivity!

Keep plodding! 

• Hi,

I know what you mean about the cold.  I went out last night and it was freezing - despite warming up before running I still found is very difficult and felt quite a few twinges I wouldn't normally feel.  Just not sure I ever really warmed up properly - even after running 3 miles.

Last Saturday morning went out in the worst rain ever - I had wet weather gear on but by the time I had done 7 miles I was completely wet right through to the skin - great fun!  determined to keep up with it though.

Half marathon schedule is still on track - I have no choice I have booked flights to Cyprus and already registered for the Half in March in Paphos.

Did you ever use the gym DP?  Must admit for the first time ever I find it easier running on the road and the gym now seems like real hard work.

• A half marathon in Cyprus - that sounds good!

Haven't been on here for ages - various reasons and not running being one of them. Had planned to go out tomorrow morning but that may be postponed depending on whether I have a hangover or not! Just back from a night out. Strange time to be online you might think but boyfriend in different time zone so was checking emails!

Now, just to make everyone really jealous - I am getting geared up for a trip to Australia and China - leaving on 27 Dec. My sister lives in Sydney and I have relatives in Townsville who we are also visiting. I'm hoping to do a bit of running while I'm over there - if it's not too hot!!!!!!

Will keep you posted . . . .