My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Well done Pete, nearly there image

Mrs A did her 10k last weekend, 1:20:05 and i am really proud of her image

(she said never again though....... )

staedy 13:00/mile pace all the way round 

• Morning All

Well done Pete - keep at it!

Adbru - well done to MrsA - I managed the South Molton 10k in 1:18 - a real struggle but worth it!

Did my first 5k training run of the year (yes, I have been that lazy) - ran the downs and walked the ups and made it in 54 minutes - oh dear - an awful long way to go! Still, at least I started.

Onwards and upwards! 

• Ups and downs...

Good News : Ran my 3.5 miles in my best time ever...30 mins 25 secs (no sniggering at the back!)

Bad News: Reading an old copy of Runner World, there was a bit in an article about easy running - they recommended a Heart Rate of 130ish for an 8 minute mile. My HR was 175 average for an 8:40 mile! 130 is a brisk walk! 

I've got a long way to go yet... 

• Well done Colin!

Fabulous stuff - it may not break any world records, but a personal best is as much of an achievement. I have been lazy all winter and have only managed 3k in 27 minutes so far! Take heart - you are doing great.

Doctors tomorrow for me - the leg is playing up something chronic and I want to get it sorted. If it is compartment syndrome (as we all suspect) - that will mean surgery - but I'm up for it. I really miss running around the lanes and I've managed to put on an extra 3kg over the winter - not good!

Keep up the great work!

• Hi guys,

Colin - well done on the 3.5 , thats a good time and well up on the average needed for a sub-60.

Ignore the waffle on using a HRM, i tried one once on a "normal" 5.5mile run.I dont do tempo/fast/interval type runs, i just go out and run but according to the HRM at mile 4 i was at 105% of max heart rate........ It went back in the box and I am still breathing image

DP, sorry to hear about the injury. I hope it works out for you and you get back in the swing of things.

I am taking (up to) a week of just now, got the start of shin splints in my left shin again (I think).
    So trying to take it easy as I have my big event a week sunday !! yikes !!

Stretching/icing and ibuprofen-ing like crazy   lol.

run safe

Adbru 

• Hey DP, Sorry to hear that you're injured - was hoping that you'd be doing the Bideford 10k as I'm thinking about entering, but need some moral support. I guess that you won't be there if your compartments are hurting.

• Hello.....

I was wondering if I could join this thread. I'm pretty much a beginner  in that I used to go for sporadic runs around the block (which i now work out were about 2 miles or so), but then a month or so ago signed up for the BUPA 10k on May 26th. At first my goal was just to get round, but as I started following a training schedule I got a bit more confident. And then my sister (a tri person) seemed to think I could get round in under an hour. I thought it might be interesting to have a time to aim for, and of course sibling rivalry kicked in image

I've been reading over the forum - this thread of course caught my eye and I seem to have world of questions. It's been cool reading over the thread and seeing the stories and progress. Seeing as I just 'ran' before and now I have become aware of all this training terminology - I was wondering if I could post on this thread with questions and blog a bit about training. Seeing as my housemates have suffered enough with my new obsession image !

The longest run I've done so far is 4.5mile in roughly 47 mins (I haven't actually got myself a watch yet and I'm deducting 3 mins for getting lost/ standing at traffic lights) so I obviously have a way to go if I am actually going to hit under 60 mins! This weekend I'm planning to do 10k as long run, just to see how it goes and to get an idea of the distance.

In the meantime...how do i get faster? image

• Hiya Tort,

Welcome aboard image

Lots of good advice to be had here (not from me as i'm a numpty image ) , 4.5 in 47 isnt bad at all !!

The advice i got was to do the miles and the speed will follow.
    I started on this thread back in august and struggled to do a mile, through good advice and feedback i got my first 10k in 57:50 in september.

Just dont try to do too much too quickly of you will run the risk of injury, build it up reasonably slowly

have fun

Adbru

• Thanks adbru,

I keep reading things about fartlek and laps and the geek in me wants to try it all out all at once! I reckon I could seriously geek out about training and technique, but then as you say the first thing is to actually get the mileage. Although you wouldn't believe it considering the only expense I've so far given in to is proper running shoes.

Is very encouraging to read everyone's progress and get inspired.

Lots of questions to follow from me I'm sure... 

• Would love to join this thread.

Am doing my first 10k here in Zurich on 1 May. In Switzerland it seems everyone is fit and healthly and the slowest time last year was 1:15! That was a 70 year old.

I am aiming for 1:10 which should ensure there are at least one or two seventy years old behind me. I am hoping not to be last. But I suppose completing it will be the first goal.

Ashley
  • Pete, well done on FLM  image

I would agree with being able to run further than 10k, my longest run before my first 10k was 4.5 miles.
    I got round but I was really hurting later,  wasnt the run but the recovery that took the time.

AshleyMac, Welcome image
    Is it a flat course ?? or all hills and altitude ??  (if so then RESPECT !!)

1:10 isnt slow for a first run, get it out of the way and then start taking time out of it.

run safe

Adbru 

• Hello all,

haven't been on for a while - too busy training (actually too busy drinking too much and eating chips but I'll pretend it was training). 

Last week I finally achieved my aim - did a 10K in under an hour, 56 minutes 15 seconds to be exact. 

Totally agree with you pete, I started the year training for a half marathon and was gradually increasing my long runs - up to averaging about 10 miles every sunday for quite a few weeks.  Now 10K just seems so less daunting.  Well done for completing the FLM, I was watching for most of Sunday, on interactive they showed the finish and just left it running pretty much all day so might even have seen you finishing.  I'm doing the Berlin marathon later on in the year - all because of the inspiration I got from watching you all finish the FLM and the look on people's faces as they crossed the finish line.

Tortoisenothare, sounds like you're on track to beat the one hour, just over 10 minute miles at this stage isn't bad going at all, certainly based on my experience anyway.  As well as increasing the distance one thing that will help with increasing speed is to run on a treadmill.  This is how I've managed to increase from my first 10K which took me 1 hr 4 minutes to my last one.  You can increase the speed very gradually and as you get used to running a little faster you can then take it out on to the road and it will feel natural to run a little faster.  Just make sure it is very gradual. 

Ashley - you're right the aim in the first race has to be to finish - you will also find that you run a lot faster in a race situation so you'll probably suprise yourself - I know first time I ran 10K I was expecting to come in at around 1 hour 15 and thought I could come last - as it was I finished in 64 minutes. 

NBFS  

• NBFS,

Well done on your sub60 imageimage

(good luck in berlin, i have my first marathon in 10 days time ...yikes !!! )

Adbru 

• KellerKeller ✭✭✭

I did my first 10k jog (that IS 6 miles isn't it?!) yesterday just to see how different it was from my normal 4 mile route.  I was surprised that it wasn't too bad, but saying that it was 80% road and my normal route is 60% off-road!  Unfortuantely I got a phone call near the end and it reset the stopwatch function grrrrr!

Not sure how long it took, but I'll try to get the time again tomorrow!

• Thanks for all the support. It is Switzerland so it pretty much has to have hills and its on forest trails! Its flat then down for a while then flat and then a killer hill (which I intend to fast walk) and then a gradual hill, then down gradually to the end. My PT advised me to fast walk the killer hill as then I don't have the same longer recovery time. I just checked the times again and now notice that most of the nordic walkers are doing it in 1:15!

Will be running it to finish and then hopefully will get a better time when I do my next one which is a flat town run in Bern on the 1 June and then the BUPA Great Capital 10K in July.

The problem is that no-one seems to be a beginner here! I expect they started running at the same age they put them on skis...before they could walk...
  • Morning all

Welcome to Tortoise, Ashley and Natalie - good to meet you all!

Adbru - hope the rest does you good - and very best wishes for your first marathon. I really can't imagine going that far!

Pete - many congrats on the FLM - fab going - total respect! image

Colin - When is the Bideford 10k? I'd love to give it a go - but it will be slow! Doctor won't refer me until he has done all the diagnostics, so I'm back next week for a "Doppler (?) test" - something to check circulation. If that's OK then I can get my compression tests, and maybe, just maybe, be on my way to getting fixed. Meanwhile, it's not life threatening, so I'm plodding along slowly.

I'd agree with everyone's comments about distance not speed. It's time on your feet that counts - go far, not fast. Speed will come. Oh - and be careful not to increase the milesge by too much each week - I believe the recommendation is 10% week on week - but I guess it depends where you are starting from! 

Switzerland sounds fab Ashley - I love running forest trails! Mind you - give me a pair of skis any day. Lovely, beautiful country, good luck with your races - keep us posted!  

Must get some work done (but much prefer talking about running)... 

• Bideford 10k is Sunday 18th May

I'll go along with the advice to start slowly - I started running last August and was really pleased with how rapidly I could progress and was running 7 miles two or three times a week within 8 weeks, unfortunately it gave me ITBS, which put me out of running for nearly 3 months.  Now had to start again from scratch and I'm taking it really slowly this time...

• Hello, may I also join in? I have been running on/off since my teens, more "on" over the past eighteen months/two years because I was doing a lot of heavy studying alongside my training job, and it helped de-stress me. I want to get a sub-60min 10k time too but haven't had the time or circumstances for proper training as yet! I did one 10K last year and got 1:00:06 (gutted!!) and entered another this year, which was on Easter Saturday. Easter saturday being as it was so early in the year, i wasn't able to do as many miles outside as I wanted (nowhere near) as I have asthma and it was just too cold. And did you SEE the weather on Easter Saturday?! Hail, sleet, snow all accompanied by a driving wind. I did 1:01:35, something of a step back, but not too bad all things considering!

Typically having been inspired by the marathon and with life settling down a bit for me now, I am toying with the idea of entering the ballot for FLM 2009 (a kind of now-or-never thing, really). To this end, I have entered another 10k in May, and I'm doing the RFL 5k in July. I'll be having a look around for a half marathon later in the year, I think.

So, am I mad? Too ambitious? Certifiably insane? Probably.  

• Hi all would like to join too, but must say 10k will be something for me to think about in a couple of months time, concentrating on the 5k's for now!!!

Well about me, I'm female 28 and haven't done any sort of fitness since school, actually didn't even do it then as spent a total of 5 years between a wheelchair and crutches (age 13-18) then on top of that have smoked heavily for the last ten years.

Am married to an extremely fit solider (competes in national cycling champs most years and has done tri's too) after having our 2 kids I got my figure back and found myself wanting to compete like the hubby does (haven't ridden a bike in 18 years so no way was I going to take that up!!! lol ) so on Xmas day I gave up the fags and in Feb brought myself a treadmill (hard to get out a lot due to kids and hubbies job) spent the 1st month and a half plodding away 2 to 5 miles 3 night's a week, then was a little unwell and then went away on hols, before I knew it hadn't done anything for a month. My motivation had gone and I was really missing the running, hubby saw this and took it upon his-self to enter me into a 5k so with only a week to prep I did two 5k runs then had to tapper for the race!!! so not the best training.

Well that was on Sun and as you can guess didn't do too well but then again it was aPB as it was my 1st!! did a 27:30 came 10th out of 39 women.

Now I'm following a training plan (8 weeks) and want to get a sub 25 on the next race, and depending on that a sub 22 by the end of the year (ALWAYS BEEN A DREAMER LOL)

Well I have to say that the 5k training runs I'm doing are seeming very easy, think it's because it's inside on the treadmill and not in the pouring rain and winds like Sunday, or maybe it's because my motivation is well and truly back and the running bug has me in it's grips either way I want to run and PB again and again and again.

So can I join as you seem so friendly and helpful?!?

Mercy 

• Wow! Loads of new people! 

Welcome all! 

Not actually entered any 10Ks this year but might do a couple. Would love to break 40 mins, knee permitting.

• Hi,

you are certainly mad - join the club!!  I've just registered for the Berlin marathon in September for the same reason - I'm feeling quite motivated to run at the moment so it's now or never with the marathon. 

Your 10K times are pretty simlar to mine - you must have been gutted with the 1.00:06 - I did 1.00.20 and I thought that was bad enough.  The driving wind would have made a massive difference to your 10K time at easter. 

ADBRU - which marathon are you doing?  Good luck with it.

NBFS

• Hi there people!

Any chance I could join the club as I've entered my first 10K this July? I'm not too shabby over 800m up to 5K but I've got a nasty feeling 10K is going to really push my endurance.

Good luck guys,

Pethead.

• Hi Everyone!

Love having newcomers - welcome one and all!

Thanks for the dates Colin - I fear I shan't be fit enough by then. I have the Barnstaple RFL in June - I think I may be able to struggle around that - Doctor's diagnosis permitting! I'm also taking a look at the Dartmoor "6 Moor Miles" in July - that might be up your street Matt - I think most of it is across the moor, so a bit softer on the muscles! Check it out here:

6 Moor Miles

• Welcome everyone image

NBFS, I am doing the Lochaber Marathon in Fort William.
    Be able to look at Ben Nevis for most of the return 13 miles  plus its my home town so a fitting first marathon image

Its in 9 days and I am now just heading out after taking a break for a week due to shin splints starting to flare up again image 
    Wish me luck !

Adbru 

• Very best wishes Adbru - good luck!    image
  • Proud to be HEROES and run /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('FLM');][b]FLM[/b]
    My dear Fellow Runners

Little could i have invisaged what was going to happen in our lives !!! ( created by all of you )

How do we ever THANK all of you ahh ??

It really is just an HONOUR to know all of you - ( whether in person or on the forums ), you have ALL in one way or another taken a Sick and disabled young man and his dad, from the depths of wanting to end life, to being at the TOP of our tree

What a few weeks it's been, In January, i had an E mail saying we'd been nominated for the Prestigious Jane Tomlinson ( Heroes of Running award ) - I thought it was just fabulas, but i knew life had to go on, and i thought, well, really, there's going to be hundreds, maybe thousands nominated - and quite rightly so, so what chance will we have ??, so, i just never gave it another thought did i !!

On, i went with our life - Gloucester Rural tough undulating to hilly marathon,3 laps of it ( our 26th FM it was ) we cruised it in real style in 4.41 - so i knew there was a bit left in the old dog yet

Then came Draycote marathon - all 5 laps of it, stupidly being complaceant, i thought we'd more than likely cruise it in abour 4.10 - 4.40 - WRONG - LMAO
    It was to become a bloody nightmare - 11 miles my calf and thigh went - i was in desperate agony, desperate trouble - not only in this marathon, but i felt my world had fallen apart - i was dragging my leg, hopping, i had to find a comfortable way to walk or run

Then i kicked my self right up the arse as it where - i though, come on Mick, your gifted my son, there's not 10% of men in this country that could or would want to do what your doing - but it still hurt, i had 14 or so miles to go, i dug deep into all my mental reserves, all my pyhscological strategies as it where

So, we battled on as you know to a 5.25 PW that day - but we stood PROUD

Then , just a while later, not sure what day, my nerves and head and legs and stomach where to turn to jelly, I had been sent an e mail to look at the Jane Tomlinson Shortlist of 5 - oh my god, we were on it

my heart thumped, i had never felt like this i don't think in my life - i was in floods of tears, it was like we had already won - but nothing had changed with London -for the next few days, i became a bag of nerves, proud, but nervous, could'nt sleep right, could'nt focus on anything, food, drink, it was a struggle - and i became depressed as you all know -

My wife's care, her constant pain, My son Philip, his daily needs, got to me, i felt mentally ill - oh i had plenty of support off Fetch and Runners World - You where ALL just fantastic

i was on my way to 50 i thought on the 1st June, what a way to celeberate, IF we won-

i knew the JT awards where Thursday 10 April in London, - it approached, come Monday 7 April i suddenly come alive, win or lose, were 5th - i was ice cool, on top of things, i had my new suit, pink lining, pink waistcoat, pink tie
  • GOSH, i felt PROUD - so very proud- so, Off we went to London - a taxi came to the hotel, and took us to the Imperial war musuem, there was all sorts of people there, Former London winners, ( Mike Stroud - SAS TV Doctor ),we were asked to move to the other side of the stage near the ramp, in case we were called up - i thought, STRANGE, why do that, if we've NOT won !! - anyway
    so we waited just slightly nervy, but patiently, as the awards were been presented one by one, i thought are we going home bridesmaids, or what- i noticed people kept looking at us and smiles of joy, Then came Mike Tomlinson, to present The Jane Tomlinson award for ( Heroes of Running ), i clutched myself, and Phil, i listened and just could'nt take it all in as i was simply on another planet- but then i heard something said which i thought, MY goodness - It's US

i screamed out - WE'VE Done it - WE've DONE it - i cried, and my heart thumped, i thought all the work was'nt for nothing after all

BUT NO London, - there where poeple there who where going to talk to David Bedford, but i made it clear, i'd written to a lot of people in London including mET police to say - were running FULL STOP

So, back to hotel we went, next morning, we thought, lets go to the marathon expo, so we did- we had about 3 hours there, it was good, some knew us, congratulated us etc - i spoke to Steve Seaton while i was there, He's been very supportive at /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('RW');]RW
    So, off home we went - took us 3 bloody hours from Docklands to M40, then 2 hours home, we just got home and my mobile went, - it was Steve Seaton, - " Mick, good running news for you" David bedford has given permission for you and Phil to run London - It's a H& S Trial run, experimental run, to see if it can be done safely, we must not be inside 6 hours, we must stay within the back -- THANKYOU Steve i said !!

OH MY GOD - OH MY GOD - OH MY GOD

We've done it, we've done it

No time to mess about, we had to get back to London the following morning-

So, we did, arriving in London at around 4 pm, i had my instructions, we prepared everything meticulously, we had a meal and went to bed

We arrived at Greenwich Park - i was totally relaxed, i was the master, i was in charge, i felt PROUD

We got ready, people stopped us and said So pleased for you, even offiicals did - THEN i put on my Famous Mick n Phil VEST - gosh i felt good and proud - NO nerves NO nothing, just could'nt afford to mess this up

We were going to party, and i mean PARTY - and party and wave , dance and scream we did -

i knocked off the early miles, i got our food down us, and our fluid- this was it, we were running London, not watching, i was just extacticly happy, i must have been grinning like cat cat licking milk , the party was on- all i could here was

GO Mick n phil, go on marathon lads - go Mick n phil

i responded with Easy, easy, easy - i heard go Mick n phil - Go mick n phil- 26 miles of it, i never got tired once, i was in top form, i celebrated where we could, i acknowledged people that i knew

it was great to see FLANKER, he was just fantastic, i was in tears nearly all day, i screamed and partied all day, singing, shouting dancing

• BUT then, THE BIGGEST MOMENT of my life - MUDCHUTE, i saw it from 13 miles, before returning to it on 22 miles,- Oh my god, did they make me feal proud, human real - i can't describe it-

i put my hands to my ears to say " Louder, i Can't hear you " LMAO, we danced we jiggered around, no tired ness at all, FETCHES were in full vocal chorus, of EASY- EASY-- EASY , they made me feel SO PROUD, i creid when i went on, then i met people along route, they hugged me, they kissed me, they high 5'ved me,

Then i was heading for 22 miles, i was happy, i knew exactly what to expect, WE were there HEROES, gosh did we were feeling proud, then we arrived at FETCH 22, it was chaos, it was simply wonderful, i laughed, i shook hands, i had kissed, i partied, as we went along route, i felt even fresher, could have done it all again NO trouble, i was in TOP physical Form and Mentally bubbling - i meant hundreds of well wished on way to finish

I met georges dad and family at around 25 miles ? , that left me really feeling OH YES

We then rounded Big ben, from then on well, i waved my hat all most all the way in -the marathon was NO Problem , they roared us on to the finish line

H & S wise - from the back, ( There isn't one ) but i'll discuss that again

i have to thank everyone so much for making it ALL happen

you all turned our life around, out there running week after week, and at home on these forums, YOU have ALL done us so PROUD -

THANKYOU for making us your RUNNING HEROES and for getting us in London marathon - Thankyou for making my 50 th Birthday on the 1st June so , SO SPECIAL

i will never ever forget what you have all done - i am still very much emotionally tearful, my heart is pounding and my head is heavy writing this post

Dear Fellow RUNNERS - Bless you all so very much - you made our day happen - you made us PROUD,

just go out there and when you have a bad day, think, well, we've made a disabled lad and his dad happy, - go and get fit, feel mentally strong, - feel like i feel - because i'm going to be a PROUD 50 year old VET in a few days, made prouder by all of you

Thankyou and bless you all

Mick xxxxx
  • Hi Mick & Phil

Absolutely marvellous - all of it - I am in awe of your dedication. I hope one day to be fit enough to do a marathon, at the moment it seems like an awfully long way! image)

Well done to both of you - I do hope that things continue to go well for you.

Take care.