My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Bit a a time, and you'll achieve great things
  • Thanks Mick & Phil - a bit at a time is a great philosophy. Great things from tiny acorns as they say!

Butt in gear, I'm going to try and dodge the rain later & do my "bit" for today.

Happy plodding Sundays everyone! 

• Hi all,

Glad someone's put this forum up, I've got my first 10K race in a couple of weeks, (The Great East Anglia Race), and was hoping to get some advice.

My training mainly consists of running distances between 5 and 10K, having done 8.5K in 44mins on my last run, so I'm aiming for around 50mins for the GEAR Race, but hopefully slightly quicker as my training is in London and includes bridges & steps, whereas the GEAR course is flat and fast . . . supposedly!

As I haven't competed in a road race situation before, I was wondering if I could get some advice from those that have on how they ran it?

Andy

• The race tactics I usually use are:

• Get the worst start out of anyone
    • Attack madly so I'm no longer last
    • Then pick people off gradually
    • Sprint-finish

Well, that's how I will run almost any race!

• Mick n phil - I just love reading your threads - you've really got a way with words.  Well done for everything you've achieved - you truly are both heroes!

Pethead - I like your tactics - also works for me.  Basically I need to start slowly - find my own pace and just enjoy - eventually I find I start overtaking people then finish really strongly.

Can I ask people's advice.  I went to get some new running shoes yesterday, decided to go to a running shop and get them fitted.  I was advised that I needed a little support as my right foot was collapsing a little - tried on several pairs and eventually decided on a pair.  Used them on the treadmill today - my intention was to run for an hour - looking to do about 11 K or a little under.  Anyway felt great for about 6 K but then developed a blister on my right foot where the shoe is slightly built up.  Ended up having to stop.  My question - is this just because they are new or is the support too much for what I need?

NBFS 

• Haha!

Cool to see other new people join the thread....let's delurk together!

Mick and Phil, that's inspiration reading. A marathon seems ilke a long way off. And a long way. That's because it is image Thanks for sharing...

Pethead, you almost made me splurt tea over the keyboard. I'm also hoping you're not running the London BUPA 10k, as I am now a little afraid..... image

Andy79, a lot of my running is in London and hilly too - I'm telling myself I'll be super cardiovascular woman and that it will make the flat seem like a breeze? But it would be great to hear how other people actually ran it.

As for me, two exciting training things. One was I finally bit the bullet and went to the gym. I started running to get fit and not have to go to the gym...of course then I find out it might help me run. I feel slightly cheated, but am now pleased as am not scared of gyms anymore. Local authority gym, recently had refit, lovely people..I got shown how to do lunges and squats and consequently spent the evening being able to claim my bum hurt.image

Today for my long run did the experiment of running 10k for the first time (previous longest run was 4.5 m). Really glad I did - think there was a bit of a mental block about the distance. From about 7k I was having to tell myself that I had run this far before, it was just a little bit extra. I think when I got to 9.5k my brain remembered I hadn't actually run that far before and sent me the idea to walk for 250m. i probably could have kept on running the final.5k, but when i got back in checked my timer and realised my time was roughly 1hr 4min ( I really need to buy a watch). Which was with walking, and not going hell for leather as I was slightly nervous about going 'that' far. I am pleased. image

Also had revelation of running when the sun was shining. I swear since I started training I've only been out once before when it hasn't rained. Now of course contrarily I think I prefer running in the rain. I also (amazingly for a sunny afternoon and a route partly in a park) didn't get any 'helpful' comments from the general public once image. The last time I went out for a long run in good weather, I had some wag slow down on his moped to deliver the witticism 'knees up love!' just as I was at the zenith of a particular bitch of a hill. Had I the reach, I may have pushed him off it. Although best public information heckle on the same run came from two blokes outside a pub  who informed me 'the marathon is that way!' ( I live quite a way from the route) image.

Hope you all got to enjoy the sun! 

• Tortoisenothare - No sweat, I'm doing the Cardiff one (Great wales Run)  not the London one. Glad I didn't wreck your keyboard!

NBFS - Any information (ie names) on the shoes you bought and on your old ones? It could be that he shoe has too high an arch, and your collapsing foot is rubbing on it, and causing a blister. People say shoes need wearing in though.

• Hi Pethead,

the shoes are made by Saucony - not sure of a particular name beyond that.  Previously I have been using Nike Shox which aren't the best and offer very little support but are actually really good for me.  It does, as you say, feel as though the arch is a little high and the foot is rubbing on it.  It could be that I need to wear them in though - I guess the bit that's collapsing hasn't really been touching anything previously so maybe I just need to get used to having support for my whole foot.  I'll give them another go on a shorter run.

NBFS 

• Er...Nike Shox are something like 70% fashion and 30% running (guesstimated percentages but the point is they're not dedicated running shoes) while Sauconies will be designed to run in. I guess the change from stylish non-supportive Nike to supportive Saucony could be giving your feet grief but other than that I can't see a major problem if the Sauconies are OK for your running style.

• Felt so FREE and relaxed

Hi everyone

Tonight we ran for 1 hour on the track with Stratford on Avon AC

it was fun, people said on London and the award "well done the both of you , you deserve it "

we did'nt go mad, it was our first outing since London marathon - and plus we have to prepare for this Sunday's Shakespeare marathon

But we did feel most free, away from our troubled existence of a life that we lead- as i was running,it was'nt a race, it was there for us to just do our own thing - i thought about my " Bird of prey " , that hovers above us, wings at full span, hovering just so majestically and effortlessly

it felt good, so very good, that's how it was mean't to feel -

It was only 1 hour, but it give me some ME time and gave me the " FEEL GOOD " factor again

what more can you ask for, i will now seek to run Shakespeare FM in somewhere sub 5 - i won't get compleaceant, not in the marathon
  • Hi Mick,

I have my first marathon on Sunday, I'll be thinking about you guys as I plod my way round image

Re the comment on proper shoes, when i got my first running shoes last year they felt like they were rubbing on my archs but after 3 or 4 runs were fine, i put it down to not understanding how running shoes work. So I would tend to agree with the previous comment that you may need to get used to them, there is always the chance that they are not the shoes for you though so bear that in mind.
    I now need to get a new pair, i got my current shoes when on holiday in Canada only to find out that they dont sell them in the UK  !!  I have now tried about 6 different shoes and cant find a pair that feel right image
    I feel i really need new ones now so will have to make a definite effort to find a suitable pair (or order them from canada !!!  )

Run Safe

Adbru 

• Hi Adbru

where u running mate -

Shakespeare or Blackpool or ????

• hi Mick,

Neither, I am running at the Lochaber Marathon on the west coast of Scotland (at the foot of Ben Nevis image )

Adbru 

• Hi,

I think you're right - it is a matter of getting used to running in a shoe that's designed for running - although I think Nike might disagree a little as they do market the Shox as a running shoe, and to be fair they have got me through a lot of mileage.

Anyway - went out again last night and did 3 and a half miles in the new shoes - felt better.  Still have the blister and it was giving me a bit of jip but the biggest difference was I felt very in control of my running - I think previously my feet tended to be all over the place whereas now they seem to be consistently straight.  The amount of support they give me is incredible - I'm sure in the long run they are going to be a huge benefit.

Adbru - best of luck at the weekend, sounds like an amazing place to run your first marathon, I always find the scenery makes things a little easier when things start to hurt and you couldn't get much better scenery to look at.

NBFS

• So I've finally done my first 10 k race (Flitwick) and got oh so close, with 61.27 (watch time), so now I've entered Whipsnade in the hope that less traffic, a flatter course and six weeks of training will get me under the magic 60.  Thought I'd find the list too, so that the newcomers could add their times/aims. 

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/30- PB 61.11 - <60 Dec 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 76.0 <60 May 08
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 44.07 - <40 Apr 08?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Grast_girl - F/28 - PB 61.27 - <60 Aug 08
    Mark Briggs 2 - M/31 - PB 51.34 - <50 Jun 08
    Adbru - M/41 - PB 57:50  <55 May08 
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 60.40  <60 Sept 08
    DianaD - F/53 PB 56.03 <55 Jan 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30

• Grast girl - you'll get there for sure.  I was just over last September then trained for the half marathon first half of this year so actually only trained for the 10K for about 4 weeks prior to running 56.15 in Lilleshall a couple of weeks back.  I know to some it's not that quick but it is a great feeling as you approach and then go under the hour mark - well done for getting so close - whatever anyone says it's a great achievement that you should be proud of. 

Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 56.15  <60 Sept 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30

• I'm on the list now 

Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07

Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 56.15  <60 Sept 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30

Pethead M/15 PB N/A, <45? Jul 08

Did first track meet of the season and also first one in new age group today - Ran 300m, 3000m and 600m, legs are now knackered.

• Morning all, is anyone running the Great East Anglia Run on Sun 4th? It's going to be my first 10K race, nice flat course, though it would be a good one to start on! Let's hope the weather holds out. Has anyone run this race previously?
  • OK, I think I'm going to have a go at the ('gently undulating') Bideford 10K on the 18th May so that I can at least get my name on the list (hopefully sub 60).

There's a 5.25k 'Fun Run' in Barnstaple the week before, funnily enough going along the route I run for training - is it worth entering or will it just be risking an injury / being knackered the week after

Any tips for pre-first-race training ? Currently I'm running 5.25miles twice a week. I'm thinking of shortening the runs to 3.5miles for the week before the race, but apart from that haven't really got a plan.

• Colin,

in my opinion if you feel OK doing 5.25 miles then carry on doing it - maybe reduce the last run before the race to 3.5 miles and probably don't make this any later than the Thursday.

The 5.25 mile run the week before is unlikely to leave you knackered a week later so go for it - it'll give you the experience of running a race with other people and might just help you get under the hour in the 10K.  If anything between now and 18th May I would probably introduce another run in the week - maybe something a little shorter.  Try starting the week with a 2 mile run slightly faster than you normally run the 5+ mile runs.

You could possibly run a training plan off this site - they're generally quite good.

And the week of the race no booze and lots of pasta and bananas.

All this works for me anyway,

Good luck!

NBFS 

• Took me a while to figure out how to format it, but I'm on...

Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    Grast_girl - F/28 - PB 61.27 - <60 Aug 08
    Mark Briggs 2 - M/31 - PB 51.34 - <50 Jun 08
    Adbru - M/41 - PB 57:50 <55 May08
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 56.15 <60 Sept 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30                                                                                                                                                    Pethead M/15 PB N/A, <45? Jul 08                                                                                                                Tortoisenothare F/28 PB N/A <60 May 08

Had a bit of an odd one on my midweek was supposed to be slightly speedy run today. Route I've run before, eaten, etc. There's a real cow of a hill about 2 miles in - having reached the top I had to stop at the traffic lights: which is when I almost passed out, had to hold on to the crossing button thingy to stop from keeling over. Obviously walked the rest of the way home! I was a bit worried, but I think the combination of it being quite humid plus hill plus having to stop rather abruptly may have something to do with it. May still go and bother my rather mental GP anyway. I think I may be a winter runner ..... image

Not built for speed - race week - bananas and pasta ay? I'm thinking of cutting the booze from a month before, partly for training, partly because I was choosing wine for an event the other day and someone remarked that I ought to know about it. I don't like this reputation for wine quaffing!

• Hi,

Bananas and Pasta - and lot's of protein, chicken and fish mainly.  Works for me.

Don't worry about having a reputation for quaffing wine - it's very civilised and has almost zero calories - that's what I tell myself anyway.  I've virtually given up beer and only drink wine nowadays which im my head means I'm virtually t-total. image

• So pre-race training seems to be more sitting around and eating extra portions, cool!
  • Yes but you will learn to really really hate pasta - believe me!image

• my PB for 10K was Oct 07 at Weston Park, Wolverhampton in a time of 50.34.

Im trying to beat it on Sunday at Sutton Park. Fingers crossed.

• Nothing much to say, just wanted to put this thread at the top of the page imageimage. How I went so long in life pretending I wasn't competitive I don't know.....

Heloha to Dave, good luck for Sunday...you feeling in a PB beating mood?

A quick q for all in terms of increasing mileage - I did first 10k run last week, which meant my weekly mileage jumped up. Up to that point I'd been building by about 0.5 to 1m a week. This week for my long run I'm wondering whether to build on from the 10k, to run the same distance again, or to take it down to 6 miles....My training plan was taking me up gradually (previous longest run was 4.5m a fortnight ago) but I wanted to actually run 10k before I raced it!

10k didn't kill me, although was sore. I'm leaning towards doing the same distance again, and then doing 11k next week and so on. It is a bit more mileage than in my training plan though....I am feeling generally quite fit however...but would be really annoyed to injure myself.....

Decisions, decisions. Any thoughts? 

• I'm no expert but personally I would stick at the 10K for a few weeks.  Gets used to the distance - then when you run the distance in a race you'll feel so much more confident because you know you've done it several times before.

If you're aiming to run further than 10K in races in the near future then there's no reason why you couldn't continue to build the mileage over time.   I think it was adbru said that now he's running further as part of his marathon training the 10K seems a lot easier and his times are coming down.

I just think do what you feel comfortable with - sounds like you're well in control of things.

By the way - I think it's this weekend adbru is running the marathon - if it is and you're knocking around the forum today good luck with it.

NBFS

• Morning all,

managed another PB at the MIdlands Lung Run yesterday,  Tried a new tactic - started very slowly - first 1K in 6.30 then felt great for the rest of the race and finished very strongly.  Maybe the way to go - what does anyone think?

Dave bytheway, did you manage a PB - pretty good race I thought.

Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    Grast_girl - F/28 - PB 61.27 - <60 Aug 08
    Mark Briggs 2 - M/31 - PB 51.34 - <50 Jun 08
    Adbru - M/41 - PB 57:50 <55 May08
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 55.31 <50 Sept 08
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30                                                                                                                                                    Pethead M/15 PB N/A, <45? Jul 08                                                                                                                Tortoisenothare F/28 PB N/A <60 May 08

• Morning All,

A bit stiff today but I did it !!  image

The weather was horrible....blue skys and sunshine !! (I was expecting/wanting drizzle)
    I will do a race report soon but i was feeling pretty good at the halfway mark but struggled pretty quickly after 15m. Decided to be sensible and pace for 4:30.

Official time 4:26:51 and watch time of 4:26:27 ....job done.

I now have a marathon Pb and a finishers medal image 

Many thanks for all the help and support from you guys.

Adbru 

• Adbru - that is fantastic - well done!!! 

That is a fantastic PB for a marathon - I was planning on around 5 hours when I do Berlin in September - if I could get round in 4 hours 30 or less I would be absolutely delighted.

Despite the pain you must be absolutely buzzing today - look forward to reading your race report.

Did you have a few well deserved beers at the end?  Very good for re hydrating the body apparently!

NBFS