My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Hi there NBFS, Denise here.

Been really mad busy and so not been on site for ages. Hope everyone is enjoying their challenges. 

How did you get on Sunday? I did it and finshed without stopping imagebut didn't make the sub 1hr.image I did it in 1hr 9mins 16 secs. The race was great and I raised over £1,300 in the prosess.image I have some work to do for the my next challenge(don't know what that is yet).

This will put you in good sted for your marathon? When is it?

Catch you soonimage

• Hi Denise,

Managed 55 mins 05 secs - not a PB but I was quite pleased.  Things were a bit chaotic at the start which slowed me down a little plus I had been out in Leeds until the early hours of Sunday morning so was suffering a little.  Great race and a great city - never been to Leeds before.  Well done for getting round without stopping - that's really the first challenge - the world's your Oyster now.  image  Without reading back several pages I seem to recall it was you that gave me the idea of doing the race in the first place - in which case thanks - it was an excellent weekend.

Marathon is in Berlin in September - feeling a bit nervous about it at the moment as I'm having to go further and further in training - managed 14 miles last weekend but that felt like as far as I will ever be able to run.  I'm sure I'll be fine but sometimes you do have doubts.

So what's next for you - the Leeds half marathon in September perhaps?? image

NBFS

• DP - See you at the Moor Miles - I'll probably be wearing the same clothes as in my avatar!
  • Hi all,

DP - Planning to do either the Sidmouth 10k (July) or the Wellington 10k (Aug). Both are "challenging" apparantly. Then going to do the Powderham Castle 10k in September.What is the Moor Miles thing that you and Matt are doing? 

Haven't been training much. In fact didn't run for 10 days as I had a week off work and my running time got swallowed up in DIY and babysitting. Went out last night for a trot and had a great time. ran from home up the steep hill (which is about 2 miles) and when i got to the top the sun was beginning to set and the air was still, no traffic , no noise, it was absolute bliss. Then I realised that I had just run another 2 or 3 miles without feeling anything. It was like floating on air, I felt I could run forever so i carried on. Finished back home just as it was getting dark having done 8 miles (went and measured it this morning) and felt I could have done more if I could have seen where I was going!

Some good sub-60 times coming along. Well done to everyone who's managed it. 

• Hi Everyone

Still plodding! 8km on Sunday and another 5 under the belt yesterday. Slow and steady as they say! 

Colin - "6 Moor Miles" is on Dartmoor (starts at Yelverton) and run over the moor - so not much on actual roads. Should be fun - especially if it's wet! image

Take a look -  6 Moor Miles

Your run sounds great - I wish I could get into the groove - but the leg won't allow it just yet. Scan coming up on 30th June - so maybe some action after that!

Take care all. 

• Forgot to mention - yesterday was still and warm, was followed for the whole 5kn by a halo of flies - they can shift can't they! Nasty little blighters - one of them had the audacity to eat my leg - a very large red lump has now appeared. Should have swiped him. Little bu@@er!

Anyone got any anti-bug ideas? Jungle formula doesn't seem to put off the Devonian fly. 

• Hi NBFS,

Yes it was me that said I was doing it and I am really glad that you enjoyed the day!! I am not sure what to do next, the half Marathon sounds good. Might look into it!!!

Sounds like that you have some exciting times ahead. You are getting on great with your training by the sounds of it!! I know what you mean about thinking that its hard going but you know on the day that you will deliver! Ok well look forward to hearing how you are getting on and may take strength in the fact and look into something else this year!! Catch you soon, Deniseimage 

• Hi Denise,

look forward to hear how you are getting on with whatever your next challenge will be.  Meant to say by the way well done for raising £1,300.  I've managed about £900 so far but will keep pushing until I get to the £1,000 mark.

NBFS

• Hello all, haven't seen this thread for a while.

My exams are done and a 6th form is chosen, but there was a pretty noticeable mix-up at that track meet - They gave me my (veteran) team-mate's time of 2:36 when really I ran closer to 2:18 image

5K off-road in 2 weeks, then my 10K in 4 weeks, I'm actually quite looking forward to it even though it's a 9:30AM start!

Good luck everybody with whatever you choose to do next.

• I'm trying to add some faster running into my schedule, so this morning I managed to run my 3.5 mile loop in 28:56, which is a PB for me by about 30 seconds

It is really hard to run outside of the 'comfort zone' pace that I'm usually a, hopefully that will get easier/faster as i do it more often. Going to try for at least once a week.

• Hi Everyone!

How's it going? I'm still plodding (limping nicely!) and feel terribly unprepared for Sunday's "^ Moor Miles"! I've decided to rear it as a fun run - and if I don't come last I will start to believe in miracles! image)

Anyone broken any records recently? 

• DP - I'm race  number 283 for the Moor Miles.

Did a super wet, slippery and quite foul 10k yesterday - had to almost walk the worst bits (very slippery roots) and got 48m 13s. Bit poor -hoping it's drier for the weekend - really am very bad at wet mud running! 

Have you got your number yet? 

• Hi Matt

Sorry - been away for a while - we are 193 & 194 (me and OH) - hope we catch sight of you at some stage!

• Good luck in the Moor Mles guys/girls!

No, no records broken yet DP - Wanted 2:15 for 800m on the 2nd, but it didn't happen, ended up in the high 2:18simage. Oh well, I'm now turning attention to 5K this weekend, could be pretty wet over here, provided I stay right way up I want under 20 minutes, which isn't impossible if the course is as un-hilly as they say.

• Thanks Pethead - I'm going to need lots of luck! Bessy mate and OH are being very supported and have both pledged to stay behind with me (and the gammy leg) so I'm not completely embarrssed!

Good luck with your 5k - hope it's not too wet for you!

• DP - did you run?

I'm knackered!

Extremely well organised event I thought.

Got 50th out of about 400-450 runners but they nearly all looked like serious club runners to me (club vests)!

Got 48m29s averaging 7m27s a mile - it was a tough one though!

• Hi Matt

Well, I wouldn't call it "running" but I hobbed my way around! the terrain was not good for the leg, but I finsihed in just over an hour and a half - my Nike+ made it 11.05km - which is a record distance for me!

Excellent time and placing Matt - terrific job.  

I agree - it was really well organised, and everyone was so supportive. I even had a paramedic with me at one point trying to tell me to give up - you have to be joking! I don't give up! image

I thought about you when I was going through that lovely wood - I thought you would be in your element there! Bit slippy dippy in places, and I loved the water jumps! Great time - enjoyed it, but my legs are shot now. Sat with a cup of coffee, laptop and athletics on the box. I'm not going anywhere! 

Well done you - enjoy the medal (nice init!) 

• Well done in the Moor Miles DP, 11K is no mean feat!

Your luck obviously worked for my 5K, the weather was lovely, and most of the better runners seemed to have been at the English Schools, or at a local track meet, or saving themselves for tomorrow's 10K. This made me one of the quickest ones left, and I managed to get a win!image

• DP- I was amazed at how much kit they gave out - decent running top. nice banana, a medal and other bits too! 

Nice one for getting round - really was hard work. I was flat on my back for a good 10 mins after I finished trying to recover.

Oh and I got a free massage too -  AND (!) was filmed by a proper TV camera while having it!!!

• I managed a new PB on Friday at the Crown Classic, 48:06 official time, and the course was "undulating" to say the least!

Did a 1hr 54 half, and got the Wolves half on 7th Sept.

• Hi Folks!

Well done Pethead & Dave - great going! We seem to be doing rather well this year!

Where's Colin? Colin - how you doing?

I've given up races for this year - awaiting the leg being fixed, no point in flogging a dead horse! Watch this space for next season though! image 

• DP - what needs doing? How bad is it?

My physio friend really helped my slightly knackered knee. Still gives me occasional stick but was fine on that 11k death run! Shame the lungs weren't working properly.... image 

Dave - that's damn good going!
  • Hi all

Didn't make the 6 moor miles - well done Matt on great result and well done DP on not giving in - takes guts that does.

Still running around and about - last night I ran from Combe Martin to Ilfracombe along the coastal path. Absolutely stunning scenery, you are right on the cliffs (scary drops if you look over) and the most beastly steep hills and descents possible. The path seems to be wilfully nasty, as it goes around a headland for a half mile only to end up about 100m from where you started, or dropping down to the waters edge, only to make an abrupt left and go all the way back up. It was only 5 miles, but my leg muscles were like iron by the end.

Out of interest - does anyone ever have 'Sport' massages? And are they useful? My legs sometimes feel quite 'tight' and knotted and I thought it might help...

• The 6 moor miles sounds absolutely awful, I hardly ever venture onto grass let alone mud.

Did a 5k at the weekend on the spur of the moment and got 28.22, so I think I might have to set myself the goal of 5k in 25 for next year, which I think should be doable if I can get my mileage up a bit from the 15-20k a week it currently is.

I hope everyone else has been having good runs (if not races) this week.

• No runs for me - just the daily cycle (10 miles - hilly) bit of weights and LOTS of surf!

Planning a run on Friday. 

Grast - it was half fun, half awful! 

• Hi All

Good to hear from you Colin - the coastal path sounds wonderful - did you do that Lynton one Matt? That was around that area and it's mean hills!

Leg needs an operation - I have chronic compartment syndrome - basically the muscle sheath isn't big enough and it can't expand when exercising. It just goes solid and then my foot goes to sleep! They cut it open - sounds nasty but it does work - 4-6 weeks and you are back in business!

<Rant>
    Still waiting for the Consultant to "write" to me though. Why do they live in the dark ages? It's 4 weeks on Monday since I had the tests - they were to be sent to the Consultant and then he was due to contact me with the next appointment. Yawwnn - 4 weeks! I mean, that's ages! Meanwhile, he said no running - I didn't listen - but how do they expect you to put your life on hold until they deem to "write" to you.
    </Rant>

It means I can't enter any more races until I know what's going on - I'd love to go to the Cancer Research 10k at Lanhydrock or Powderham, but I can't plan anything.

Meanwhile, I'm sticking to plodding around the lanes!

Happy weekend running all - anyone racing?

• Indeed I am racing! Great Wales Run is on Sunday,  got my number, chip + info delivered last week, did my last pre-race training yesterday, and I think everything looks good.

Because 10K is a long distance for me I'm going for the softly-softly approach - Nice steady start and no rushing off as I figure I'll then have the best part of an hour to overtake people if I can. 

• DP - I'm amazed you managed the Moor Miles with that kind of injury!!

Hope it's all okay - sounds quite serious.

If it helps at all, my slightly dodgy knee is almost sorted now thanks to some good physio.

Good luck with it all. 

• Hia All

Good luck on Sunday Pethead - we'll be cheering you on!

I'm amazed too Matt - as I said, the medics wanted me to stop, but I hobbled on - I'm quite a determined character! Enjoyed it though - quite a challenge! Glad the knee is sorted - mind those roots!