My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

1232425262729»

Comments

• The race is over and I'm still here - Result! Quick race report:

Apparently there were upwards of 3,500 people running, so once I had walked across the start line it wasn't easy to run in a straight line or at a steady pace for the first kilometer and a half-ish. After that, I just settled down to a steady-ish pace for quite a while, which seemed faster than other people's steady paces as I kept making progress past people up 'til about 5K. After that, it got pretty tough over the Cardiff Barrage to about the 7K mark, and I wasn't passing anyone any more. But by the second water station after 7K, I knew it was under 3000m to go and that I had the energy to do that distance at a decent pace, so I started going a bit faster again and closed in on the finish, getting a few more places en route. I wasn't sure what the last K was like so I sprinted from a bit far out, but still got thereimage

Gun time was about 43:30, can't confirm that as water must have got in the mechanism of my watch. 

• Well done Pethead - cracking time! Sounds like you attacked the whole thing with a great plan in mind - very well done!

What's next? image

• Well, there's two 10Ks I'd do, but they're both on the same day as a triathlon I've already entered, so I can't do even one! Might do a little triathlon this weekend (Cardiff again! Miles away!) and if not then there's nothing big to do in August.

Just found out that my chip time was 42:53 and I was in 202nd place, which I'm well pleased with.

• Pethead - nice one!! 

Was that road or trail? 

Hoping to break 42 mins for the Lanhydrock 10k but it's rather hilly image

• Road. I do road races and cross-country, but generally avoid the in-betweeny trail stuff like the plague!

• Didn't know trail was between cross country and road racing - learn a new thing every day!

Last race was definitely cross country (very hilly/rooty/windey) but Lanhydrock is probably more trail - no obstacles and hilly but not muddy of rooty. 

• Well,I've always thought of it as in-between but I'm not saying that's a mainstream view.
  • Hope everyone is still running!

I'm finding it hard to get any enthusiasm going at the moment I think it might be due to the damp humid weather at the moment.

I went camping weekend before last in South Devon and headed out for a run thinking I was going to do about 3 miles - got lost and ended up wandering around Dawlish and did about 7 miles. 

Then I haven't run again for 10 days (eek!!!)Just did my 3.5mile circuit in 28:34, so a little improvement over my previous best - but I'm really pleased with it as I felt I had no energy or pace throughout the run and was going really slowly, so just goes to show you can't always trust your instincts.

• Oh, and I've signed up for the Cancer research 10k at Powderham Castle in September - if anyone wants to sponser me (cheeky, I know, but you've got to tryimage) go to

http://www.run10ksponsorme.org/colinwilliams

Cheers

• Morning All!

Good to hear from you Colin - and best of luck with the Powderham run! I wish I could go, but I'm still waiting to hear from the hospital about when they'll do something!

I'm still plodding. I have a nice 5k circuit at home that I try to do at least 3 times a week, with a bit longer plod on Sunday (oh - that's today!).

Quite agree about the weather - damp and drizzly is not very inviting, but it is quite nice to run in - as long as it isn't horizontal in your face type rain. Today looks nice too - a nice breeze blowing here, so I have high hopes.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

• Well, this thread seems to have disappeared. Where's everyone gone?

Finished the Powderham 10k in a new PB of 56:42, which I'm really chuffed with as the ITBS reared its ugly head at 8k and so the last 2k was hobbling (special thanks goes to all those who offered encouragement as they went past me as I limped home)

A great day, well organised, loads of spectators to cheer us home and the sunny weather really helped too.

Managed to raise £165 for Cancer Research too - if everyone there managed similar then thats £165,000

• Hi Colin

I'm still here!

Fantastic time - very well done! A couple of my work colleagues did it too - around a similar time - so I hope they were amongst those helping you along!

Shame about the problem, but at least you have a new goal that you know is achieveable if all goes well.

Congrats - fab fund raising too! image

• Hi Pete,

Raised this one from the depths haven't you?

Shame this thread seems to have died a death - it would be nice to catch up on some of the old-timers who used to frequent these parts.

For me - my first 10k, back in May 08 was 58:53 and since then i've done a coupe more and my best time is now 53:56. So I'm now in the "10k in 50minutes challenge" - hopefully will do it this summer!