My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Hi Clare

I dream of 63 minutes! :O) Love wine gums too - but have to say I prefer Lions!

Hope you are fit soon - take it easy and keep us posted!
  • How's everyone's training going?

I finally managed to get some done this morning - combination of distracting birthday eating and my bad knee has meant that my training's been a bit lax these past few days. But back on it now!

• Decentish run with the dog planned for today (say 4-5m), then off on holiday to Italy for a week - and taking running shoes!
  • Hi can I join too?

I used to run a lot about years ago but stopped just after the Leeds half marathon in 2000 and have put 2 stone on since! My pb is slightly misleading as I had done a lot of training for that one but mainly I averaged about 1hr.

Just started again but only on run 2 of the beginners schedule. I too have dogs but they are retired greyhounds with no stamina and only 2 speeds (sleeping or sprinting) so no chance of running with them!

I've entered the Horsforth 10K on the 30th Sept.

Here's hoping I get this right too:

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 61.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/29 - PB 62.54 - <60 Aug 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 83.0 <60 Sept 07
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 52.27 - <50 Sep 07?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07

My 12 week plan consists of an 8 week beginners schedule plus the 4 week 3 times a week 10K schedule.

Alyson
  • Alyson - Splendid PB there!!
  • Thanks Matt :)

Like I said, slightly misleading as I was younger, much fitter and running for a club! If I can get below 60 mins this time I'll be really pleased!
  • hi everyone!

well im totally pooped after my weekend festival going! glad to see we have some newcomers!

just to update the list as it seems my time has been changed when the list has been copied lol

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/29 - PB 62.54 - <60 Aug 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 83.0 <60 Sept 07
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 52.27 - <50 Sep 07?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07

anyone got any ideas for motivation maybe we can have some sort of competition going between us all.. maybe see who can improve the most in the next month or somethin?

let me know what u all think!!

hope ur all well

S xx
  • Alyson - I only passed Royal Marines Officer selection once but it still counts!

Just did a very off road 4 miler - sweaty as hell now!
  • Hi Sazzler

A challenge would be really good - as most of us are fairly new to this game perhaps we can aim for a 5k time improvement? I suggest 5k because we are more likely to do that distance more frequently!

Thinking that through, it would probably mean another list! :O(

Anyone else got any ideas?
  • Devonian Plodder - I think that's a great idea, I was looking for a 5K race inbetween now and the 10K race but there's nothing :( However I've been on Google Maps and plotted a perfect 5k circular route (love the new feature on Google Maps that means I don't have to drive around timing routes!) so will be doing that this weekend with my sister in law whom I've roped into doing the race with.

Unfortunately I live in an extremely hilly area so without driving it I've probably inadvertantly plotted the hilliest route possible as it's on country roads that I can't remember the gradient of ;)

Will time the run and post it when I get back if everyone else is up for it.

Ally
  • I'm up for a 5km challenge too! It's going to be a weekend one for me as well so I shall post my time on Sunday.

Great idea!
  • I reckon the 5k challenge is a good way to keep momentum. After some time off and a gradual start, I managed to do a 5k training run this evening, am well chuffed.

Maybe to start things rolling, I did it in 35 mins, I'm sure people can beat that!

• Good evening all!

I dragged my boyfriend out last night with the mad-dog and we did 5k in 32mins 22secs - by far the best I've managed, I was v chuffed!

I don't know about you, but I found that after finishing the run/walk beginners schedule where your improvement seems so quick I got a bit obsessed with how fast I was running and it started to get a bit depressing when I had a bad day (which was often). I very rarely use a watch now and just try and run further on my 'long' run - so this was a really nice surprise when I timed it last night!

Is anyone else trying the 8 week 10k training schedule before your upcoming race? (Bizzarely I'm quite looking forward to starting it in August!)
  • Now I'm embarrassed!

I did a 5k last night in 41 minutes 39 sec. Like you Alyson, I live in a very hilly part of North Devon and have no choice but to climb out and climb back in!

That was a full 5 minutes longer than my RFL on Sunday - so that proves how hilly it is! :O)

I'd like to challenge myself to get under my RFL time (36mins) around these hills by the end of August. My goal - 35 mins by 31st August.

Anyone else like to state their personal goal?

Well done Moomintrude and Clare - great times! Good luck for the weekend Beth!

5k Challenge Times:
    Alyson - tba
    Beth - tba
    Clare - 35m
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Devonian Plodder - 41m 39s Goal - 35m by 31/08
  • Unfortunately I've never run a 5K so I don't have a PB or even any idea of how long it's going to take. It will be only my 5th run for 7 years so will see how it goes! At least with your times I have a guide as to how long it should be taking me!

I've also set myself a personal challenge; from my brothers house it's 3.1 miles to the top of the moors going over to Derbyshire/Lancashire and there's a big tv mast called Holme Moss. It's a hell of a climb and is used a lot by the Tour of Britain cyclists. I've promised myself I have to try and do it before the race as its a perfect 10K there and back. At least it's all downhill on the way down ;)

Well done for those times guys, I'm quite nervous now, I feel like it's a proper race!
  • Rats! Don't think my 5km is going to happen this weekend - my foot pain problem thing is back, I'm sure it's just flat feet and over pronating so nothing serious but have been advised to take it easy til I see the podiatrist...

Am feeling peeved but is better to take it easy rather than develop anything chronic - well that's what I keep reminding myself anyway :(
  • I wasn't planning on going out today, but did get the running kit on and hit the streets. The 5k challenge mentioned on here really inspired my run today, particularly as I normally only have a rough idea of how far I run and how long it took.

So, I mapped out a 5k route on mapmyrun.com - it worked out at 5.07k, but whats 0.07k between friends eh?! - and off I plodded. It was a ciruclar route, with a few hills and the last km through the town centre (not the brightest of ideas on a Saturday afternoon, but hey ho). A quick check of the watch just before home gave me a final sprint to the front door and I was back in 31.29 minutes and feel well pleased with myself. Even pleasantly surprised. :)

I now realise that I should put a wee bit more effort into my training and actually keep a running log of the routes/distances/times that I do. I think I will end up challenging myself more if I do this...so a big thank you for all the inspiration you have given me!!

I am DETERMINED that my next 10k race I will get in under 60mins....!!

Good luck everyone else with this weekend's 5k challenge. Keep on plodding :)

BethM - you're right to rest, you don't want to cause damage by running on a foot that's not right. There are plenty more days you can run on, although the frustration of seeing other people out when you're not can be annoying!
  • Hi folks

Well done Crazy Daisy - that's a great time! I hope to be up there eventually.

Beth - I hope the you enjoy the rest - it's definitely the right thing to do. I hope you can get some professional advice.

With the horrible weather forecast I changed to a long run today - did 10k in 85 minutes - BUT - I ran all the way! WheeyyyyHeeyyy!

So - now all I need is to speed up bit - but that'll come I'm sure. I'll do my 5k on Tuesday - another PB here we come! :O)

• Hi Guys

Well I went out and did my 5K on Friday evening in 37.25 which I was quite pleased with especially since it was quite hilly.

I was hoping to do the same run this morning but in a quicker time but we ended up running with another friend where she lives and did 4 miles in 40 mins which I was really pleased with! Although, apart from a steep hill to start it was either flat or downhill the rest of the way hence the quicker time.

5k Challenge Times:
    Alyson - 37.25
    Beth - tba
    Clare - 35m
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Devonian Plodder - 41m 39s Goal - 35m by 31/08

Beth, hope you get your foot problem sorted, I overpronate too but have now got some trainers that support the insides of my feet more and that's helped. A podiatrist sounds like a good idea :)
  • Hi Guys,

You seem like a friendly bunch :-)

Mind if I join in ??

I used to run a bit when in college (no money so it keep me out of the pub!), I have only ran a 10k once about 20 years ago ! (wont post my time as it was done by a different person to the one sitting at the keyboard now LoL)

Keep telling myself that I'm going to start running again, my wife laughs coz I always start in the winter when it rotten weather.

Recently saw some holiday snaps of an ex-workmate and scared that the middle-aged spread is contagious.
    Seriously considering an entry for the Lochaber Half in November so will need to work my way through a 10k first.
    Of on holiday on wednesday so training starts when I come back.
    I've printed of the 16 week half guide think I can adapt it do it in 13 weeks.

Think first action will be to visit my cousin to get advice on shoes, (she's a podiatrist).

Keep it going folks, the updates are insperation to the rest of us !

regards

Adbru

M/41 PB? 60> end Sept07
  • Hi Adbru - welcome!

Great to hear you are taking the plunge back into running! You have reminded me I must get around to printing off the 10k schedule :O)

My running partner and I were talking about what happens come the winter (we only started running in April) - the lanes around here are far too narrow to go out in the dark.

I need motivation to get me through the dark days, so I'm looking for a 10k or 10 miler early in the New Year - anyone got any ideas?

How's the weekend gone for you guy's?

• Hi everyone,

I'd love to join you all if that's ok? I've just found this thread and it's exactly what I'm looking for - I'm quite new to running (only been doing it a couple of months after I lost a fairly huge amount of weight and needed a way to keep it off!) and I love it!

I've signed up to do the Great Yorkshire 10k in September and had mentally set myself a time of 60min - the most I've run so far is 8.2k in 55 min, so I don't have a PB to beat yet but I'll probably be running 5k or so tomorrow so will add my time to the 5k challenge times!

PS - Love reading all your posts, very inspiring - Thanks Guys!! Here's to us all beating our target!
  • Hi Everyone

I managed to dodge the showers tonight and did a 5k in 40 minutes and 30 secs - nearly a whole minute quicker than my previous best! :O)I like this running lark!

5k Challenge Times:
    Alyson - 37.25
    Beth - tba
    Clare - 35m
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Devonian Plodder - 40m 30s Goal - 35m by 31/08
  • Hiya,

Nothing like goal setting to motivate yourself.... entry to moray 10k posted this morning !

2nd Sept and i'm on night shift that weekend LoL.

wish me luck

Adbru
  • Morning All,
    Ok - timed my 5k run last night and did it in 34min 32, so:

5k Challenge Times:
    Alyson - 37.25
    Beth - tba
    Clare - 35m
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Malinky - 34m 32s

Well done DP on beating your time by a min already - I tell myself that we might not be challenging Paula Radcliffe yet but we're certainly all improving at a much faster rate then she is!
  • Well done Malinky! I guess the main benefit of being new to running is that you just keep getting better!

I suppose there will come a time when getting better isn't an option - but I have no idea when that will come. Anyone out there that's not new know when that plateau arrives? I'd quite like to be prepared for failure! :O)
  • Did a 4 miler in the mountains of Italy (2 hours south of Milan) a few days ago (just been there for a week) - three mile descent. One mile ascent. Complete killer but managed to be the only one who stayed running the whole way (three of us)!

Air temp was about 28 degrees at the end of it - Even my fingernails were sweating!
  • hi guys!

im gettin bad at keeping up with this thread these days!

but count me in for the 5k challenge! are we aiming to say do it once a week or something? maybe we can update the list every monday then it gives us a wee goal?

ill try for a 5k tonight.. wish me luck! not even gonna attempt to guess how long it will take me ;p
  • oh yeah almost forgot!

5k Challenge Times:
    Alyson - 37.25
    Beth - tba
    Clare - 35m
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Malinky - 34m 32s
    Sazzler - tba
  • Just mapped my usual route - 4.8km, about 1km on road, the rest pretty full on trail stuff.

Best so far is 23m 28s (including four stiles!). Hoping for less soon and might have to try and get an extra 0.2km is there somehow!