Options

My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Options
    Great times everyone! I'm hoping to do the same 5k I did last week again tomorrow and knock a bit of time off. I haven't been out since Sunday's 4 miler as not felt great so we'll see how it goes.

Ally
  • Options
    Hi Sazzler - good to hear from you - and good luck with your 5k. Great idea to update weekly - all for that!

Went out last night for a quick 4km trying to run faster than my normal "plod" at times. I think the pro's around here call it interval training. Anyway, it was fun, broke up the usual route nicely - but how the heck to you keep breathing when running quickly? :O) I had to keep walking to just get my breath back.

Will it come with time, or is there any special technique for running quicker than a plod?
  • Options
    hey plodder!

I find the best way to breathe and run is to use the 3 step technique, as in breath in and exhale on the 3rd step, iv found my run flies in as im concentrating on it so much!
    seems to have stopped me getting a stitch too!
  • Options
    I do breathe in 2 strides, breathe out 2 strides although i have do do a breath for each stride when the going gets tough!

I suppose as we get fitter we'll be able to take more strides per breath? Is that how it works? I hate it when I need to cough or have a mouthful of gunk and have to miss a breath, then I think I'm going to expire ;)
  • Options
    Hi Saz, Alyson - 3 steps hey? Must try that - I was trying to stick with 2 in, 2 out like you Alyson, but really struggled. I'll give 3 a go and let you know!

Long run will be tomorrow or Sunday, depending on the weather! Hope everyone is staying safe in this awful weather - it seems to have missed us in Devon.
  • Options
    Hi just added my 5k time to list 29.35mins.
    Continued on to manage 5.45miles in 53mins.

I did 30mins run 3mins walk 20mins run.
    Perfect conditions for me light drizzle and nobody about. 3wks till race day!!

5k Challenge Times:
    Alyson - tba
    Beth - tba
    Clare - 35m
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Devonian Plodder - 41m 39s Goal - 35m by 31/08
    Pam 29.35
  • Options
    Morning All!

Thought I would do a 5km run this morning and see if I could better my last attempt. Slightly different route, just a wee bit over 5km, but did it in 31m20secs....getting there...getting there :)
    Well done Pam on your time!

5k Challenge Times:
    Alyson - tba
    Beth - tba
    Clare - 35m
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
  • Options
    hey i finally got out this morning to give it a bash!!

did 5k in 37.41 so lots of room for improvement there!!

was thinking, in order to help us with our challenge, does anyone use www.fetcheveryone.com ??
    if you do let me know ur username and we can set up the challenge on there, means its easier to track and we can see who improves the most?!!

iv also arranged the below list in order of fastest first.. hopefully that will encourage us a bit more??

Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Sazzler 37.41
    Alyson - tba
    Beth - tba
  • Options
    Morning Everyone!

Great times folks - I'm out this evening, so I'll report later! I'm going to do my usual 5km the other way around - should be fun! Means the mega hill at the start and a nice down hill finish. I'm hoping it will improve my time - is that cheating? :O)

Saz - didn't know about fetcheveryone - just had a quick peek and it looks great. I'll register later and let you know my details.

Catch up with you all later.
  • Options
    My time seems to have been deleted :( I've added it back in, I did run it honest ;)!!

Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Beth - tba

Been ill for a week but feel much better now, going out tomorrow afternoon (one of the joys of working from home!) and doing the same 5k run to see if I can beat my above time. Although after 10 days without a run I doubt it! Might try for a different breathing technique too :)

Keep going everyone, this is great fun!
  • Options
    fabbydoo Devonian, if u want to PM me ur details when u sign up we can start a wee challenge!

anyone else up for it??
  • Options
    I've signed up, do you need my sign up details Sazzler?
  • Options
    yeah alyson whats ur username (u can private message me if u dont wanna make it public)
  • Options
    It's fine, my username is AllyY :)
  • Options
    ok alyson iv sent u a challenge.. it appears we can only have 2 people in a challenge.. which is a shame!

but if we pair up then at least that gives us something to work towards?

if anyone knows of any other way to do it my ears wide open!!

cheers
  • Options
    iv also found another website
    http://www.greattreadmillandrunningchallenge.com

which lets u set up challenges for lots of people, i know this is seeming to get a bit complicated!!

but if u want to join then we can do a challenge on this website all together!

if u join let me know ur username

cheers!!
  • Options
    Hi Sazzler

Well, it's a shame, but I can't find any way of issuing a challenge to more than 1 person on fetcheveryone.

I have registered on the great treadmill site as DevonianPlodder (they won't allow spaces!).

Look forward to the challenge!

Went backwards today - 5k in 42m37s - just not quick enough! :O(

No doubt the challenge will do me good.
  • Options
    This is just great, keep it up guys....

With all this rain, may be we should all take up www.rowersworld.co.uk

:-)
  • Options
    Hi Folks,

Am new to the running thing but me and a heavyweight friend are trianign for our first 10k in September so I read your posts with great interest. Have been runnig for about 7 weeks and lovign it although it is hard work. Being 16 stone is a bot ticky as it's a bit like the opeing scenes of Jurassic Park when I coast by but no pain...Seriosly looking to try and break the hour barrier though and the 10K I'm doing in September os pretty flat. I'm doing about 12-14 miles a week and run 4 miles in about 39 minutes so I reckon I'm not too far off my goal. Can I join in? Need a bit of encouragement and inspiration to keep me out of the pub!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, can I join in too?, I'be just been running again for 3 weeks (not done any for about 8 months), my previous pb for a 10k was 57 mins but at the moment the fastest I can manage it is 1hr 6mins so I'd love to get under 60 mins again, I haven't entered a race yet but as soon as I find one I'll let you know

I'm also up for the 5k challenge, I did 3.51 miles the other night in 35 mins and 54 secs so it's be nice to get that under 30 mins, I'm doing an RFL this Sunday so will let you know the time!

I've added myself in below

Rachel

5k Challenge:
    Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Beth - tba
    Rachel - tba

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/29 - PB 62.54 - <60 Aug 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 83.0 <60 Sept 07
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 52.27 - <50 Sep 07?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Rachel - F/34 - PB 57.00 - <60 ??
  • Options
    This has really moved on !?! Haven't been able to get online for awhile - glad everyone's doing so well

Matt - 23 mins !?! - that IS a target to aim for - well done !!

Well I'm now back running after 3 months off with shin problems...I'll like to join the 5k challenge too - managed 5.2k (according to my route planner) in 30 minutes...

Good luck on your next outings guys.
  • Options
    Great! May as well add myself in too in the that case!

5k Challenge:
    Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Beth - tba
    Rachel - tba
    Keltikmusk - tba

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/29 - PB 62.54 - <60 Aug 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 83.0 <60 Sept 07
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 52.27 - <50 Sep 07?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Rachel - F/34 - PB 57.00 - <60 ??
    Keltikmusk - M/38 <60 Sep 07
  • Options
    Hi Everyone

Raining again in sunny Devon!

Welcome on board Rachel & Keltikmusk! I love a challenge - after my very disappointing effort last night I'm going to try again tonight.

I can only get better!

Catch up with everyone later.
  • Options
    Hey Plodder thats u added!

if anyone else wants to join, they can go to
    http://www.greattreadmillandrunningchallenge.com

then register and view all challenges, then join = Who can improve thier 5k PB the most in a week?
    its the last one on the list at the moment!!

cheers!!
  • Options
    Thanks Sazzler - duly accepted.

I'm 2nd out of 2 at the moment - that doesn't look good!

Now - who else is up for it? :O)
  • Options
    Keep working at it people, but don't be afraid to dream big. Some of you are pretty close already and just getting used to racing a 10k could take you under!

My first 10k race was 61:42, next race I had I ran 58:xx. If you keep on working at it your times will come down faster than you believed possible and there really is almost no limit if you work hard enough.
  • Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Bryn.

I dragged hubby out with me tonight. He's so much quicker than me - it's a real challenge to stay anywhere close to him! He really helped by working on my breathing - bless him!

So - the result - a great 39m15s! After yesterday's disaster I'm well chuffed!

5k Challenge:
    Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Devonian Plodder - 39.15
    Beth - tba
    Rachel - tba
    Keltikmusk - tba
  • Options
    Measured out a 5K route today and ran my little sweaty socks off in a tiem of 26:56 which I'm pretty pleased with.

Only problem is that I need to translate that pace to a 10K and I'm not sure I can do that just yet. I was knackered by the end and had jelly legs a bit and no way could I hav continued for anoter 3miles at that pace.
  • Options
    5k Challenge:

Keltikmusk 26.56
    Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Devonian Plodder - 39.15
    Beth - tba
    Rachel - tba

• Options
    Well I did the same 5K run today and came in at 36.38 which is better than my first try. I did feel that I was running worse on the hills which make up the first half but the last half which is on a slightly uphill road (looks flat) I only stopped to walk once as opposed to 3 times the other day which probably made up the time. Why can't I live somewhere flat?!!

Anyway I'm pleased cos I didn't feel like running and forgot to have lunch so ran on one banana only at 3pm!

Sazzler - it's asking me for a password on that great treadmill site? Can you let me have it and I'll join.