Options

My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Options
    hi matt
    have you tried google earth? just click on the ruler at the top of the screen when you are at the right location and the you can map out a path and it will measure it in either miles or kilometres whichever you prefer.

where do you live K?, im in east yorkshire and we had all the bad floods a month or so ago. i hope your web feet are not getting in the way hee hee
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    hey guys - thanks for all your congrats !

I feel absoutly fine today, so now think I could of pushed a bit harder yesterday but hey,ho we live we learn !!!!

I measure my distance by my trusty garmin - couldnt live without it now ! but before that I used to do a) measure by car or b) map my run

map my run seems quite acurate if you are going round the roads, not sure how it would be over fields, tracks etc

what is the 5k challenge you guys have set up ?
  • Options
    Jasp -I haven't tried that feature but as my area is crystal clear on it (including our house!), I might give that a go. Guess MapMyrun also doesn't factor in hills?
    Live in West Cornwall so no flooding here, just far too muddy for August!
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    5k Challenge:

Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Devonian Plodder - 41m 39s Goal - 35m by 31/08
    Beth - tba
    Rachel - tba
    Matt Sutherland - 23.34.
    Albion - 30.15
  • Options
    5k Challenge
    Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Beth - tba
    Rachel - tba
    Matt Sutherland - 23.34.
    Albion - 30.15
    Jasp - 32.42 (it was 3.31miles) will have to measure it better next time :-))
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Good to see you are all keeping the faith !

Just back from holiday so did my first run in a long time this morning :-)
    Not sure of the distance, just took the dog on one of his normal walks but i ran it.I think its just over a mile as it took 13mins.

Really sad git as when on holiday I found myself in a running shop getting checked for shoes !! They had me running up and down the shopping centre to test which felt best, the others shoppers had a laugh ;-)

Ended up with a pair of Nike Airmax300, they feel really comfy.very surprised in the difference in 4 pairs of shoes,all the small size/width/padding/etc etc.
    The Nike felt best so thats what i got, the most expensive shoes I've ever bought !!

Got my number for the Moray 10k on 2nd Sept so full steam ahead....

Adbru
  • Options
    hi all

Matt. I use forerunner & it seems pretty accurate they are a good price at amazon at the moment.

Clare & Albion well done both of you on your times. Do you know how many ran and was there many people behind you?

Pam
  • Options
    5k Challenge
    Pam 29.35
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Sazzler 37.41
    Beth - tba
    Rachel - 29.46
    Matt Sutherland - 23.34.
    Albion - 30.15
    Jasp - 32.42 (it was 3.31miles) will have to measure it better next time :-))
    Send to friend

looks like we all gotta go some way to beat Matt!!!
  • Options
    Hi aaa,

There were about 250 runners in the same race as me, loads of them were very fast indeed, but I was by no means at the back. I passed quite a few who had started to walk, I reckon in total there were about 20 or so people behind me.. Not too shabby at all?! Once the full results come up I'll take a look to check properly.

Am having a rest tonight, will probably wait until Wednesday to do more training.

Have fun all,
    Clare
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    aaa - I think we had a field of about 200 - I came in 169 so not at the back, no , but no where near the front either - fastest male was 34.something and fastest female was 35.something

fastest female done really well - she was flying ! she beat the female course record by 5 mins ! oooh to be like that ........
  • Options
    Hi there, I'm a new runner and I'm very impressed at the attempts to do a 10km in under an hour. I'd keel over! I did 4 miles today and it took me 46 minutes! so that's what... a 12 minute mile? My aim is to be able to do a 10km run no matter what the time but finding it hard to build up those miles! I'll get on plodding away though and see where I get. :)

Good luck to everyone trying the 'in an hour' thing! :)
  • Options
    Donna,

Don't worry too much about times as long as you enjoy it. The more you do the better you'll start to feel and gradually your times wil start to come down. I'm aiming for my first 10K in September and have found it really useful to have a goal to aim for.
  • Options
    Morning all

Still not running - waiting to see the osteopath on Thursday to get checked out. I'm hoping it's something she can fix quickly and I'll be back out there.

Well done all on your achievements to date - I'm around your pace Donna - so don't worry! Time and effort will pay off - but don't do too much too quickly or you'll end up like me with a forced rest!

Keep it going everyone - races are coming up thick and fast!
  • Options
    Ooops - Checked with Google Earth (SUCH a good website and it "does" hills too!) and my course is about 4600m - So I need to add at least a minute for a more accurate 5k. Mind you, I do have to stop for a total of seven gates/stiles so maybe I'm not too far off!
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    hello all !

Matt, still a good time anyway - isnt there a route you couls measure in the car, just to get yourself a accurate time, if you are anything like me Im obsessed with times/distance which is why I got myself a garmin !
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah

DP - hope you are better soon - is it a running injury you have got ?
  • Options
    hey guys!!

just thought id update with my new PB..
    got a good few mins off my time last week!

albion is good to hear from u again! how u doing?

DP..i agree with leaving the challenges for now lets keep going with pushin our 10k times.. thats why we're here after all!! sorry to hear your not so well! someone stood on my foot with a stilleto on saturday and my foot a mess.. think ill wait a few days before squeezing into ma trainers again!!

hope everyone is well!! and hope u dont mind me re doing the list!!

5k Challenge
    Matt Sutherland - 23.34.
    Pam 29.35
    Rachel - 29.46
    Target is to get here for a 60 min 10k!!
    Albion - 30.15
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Jasp - 32.42
    Sazzler 34.49
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Beth - tba
  • Options
    Hi all
    Well done Sazzler for knocking off those mins.
    Matt - glad you found 'google earth' of some use. im sure it wont take that much longer to get to the 5k.

im getting quite nervous now, 10k only a few days away, does anyone else get nervous??
  • Options
    Just did my 4.6k in 22.41 but half killed myself!

I'll see if I can get myself a running track sorted (or similar) and set a proper time.
  • Options
    Hiya,

Stiff quads today :( also measured out the distance i ran yesterday.

A little disappointed as its bang on 1 mile and took 13 mins !!

Suppose I did manage it all running in one go though...
    Rest day today and back out tomorrow.

Had leg cramps last night even though i stretched before and after the run, my bodys way of asking "What the hell are you doing to me ??!!"

Adbru
  • Options
    Hi All

Albion - Thanks for your concern. Running/skiing injury - or what ever! Suffering from a dead leg most of the time I'm out running. Originally I put it down to the fact that I tore my calf muscle skiing. Having started running in April and sucessfully doing a 5k in 36 minutes a few weeks ago - it's now decided to complain. May be a back problem - that's why I'm going to see a sports injury lady - see what she says.

Well done everyone on these great times - I must look at Google Earth - I'm curious about how it "does hills"!
  • Options
    Hi all

Im a relatively slow beginner runner and am looking for some advice!I started running only two months ago to try and loose some weight and as a bit of a stress reliever as i had a baby nine months ago and it gives me a bit of me time in the evening. I have currently signed up for my first 1ok in sept. 2nd and am following a training programme currently running three times a week, my question is on my warm- up. im not really doing one a such just running slower then speeding up after a mile.is this ok or should i be doing stretches at first? this is a really good forum by the way!
  • Options
    5k Challenge
    Matt Sutherland - 23.34.
    Pam 29.35
    Rachel - 29.46
    Albion - 30.15
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Jasp - 28.44
    Sazzler 34.49
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Beth - tba

Hi All
    just come back from a 5k really pleased i managed to come under 30 mins, ive updated the above list. If only i could keep that pace up for sunday.
  • Options
    Did a 4.1 mile run tonight bu my legs felt really heavy - managed a decent time (for me) of 37:44 so I guess I was quite pleased over all. Back to running in relative heat and it really doesn't agree with me I've decided - face turns into a tomato.

Am going to try my 5K route on Thursday and hopefully get a better time than last. We'll see!

Eileen - I've always been told to warm up but more importantly warm down. After any run, your musles tend to seize up even if you've been going at a slow pace so some really simple warm dowm exercises are always a good idea.
  • Options
    Hey Jasp, dont forget to move yourself up the list!!

here yu go!! and well done now ur no2!!

5k Challenge
    Matt Sutherland - 23.34.
    Jasp - 28.44
    Pam 29.35
    Rachel - 29.46
    Albion - 30.15
    Crazy Daisy 31.20
    Moomintrude - 32m 22s
    Sazzler 34.49
    Clare - 35m
    Alyson - 37.25
    Beth - tba
  • Options
    Cheers Sazzler, forgot about that.
  • Options
    Oh No! Last again! I do hope I get myself fixed tomorrow and I can get out there and post a half decent time!

Eileen - As a warm up I walk for 5 minutes to start, jog a while and then step up the pace when my legs have decided they understand what they are supposed to be doing! I get up to a comfortable pace after a mile or so - it takes me a while!

Some people stop and stretch after a short jog start - personally if I stopped I'd never get going again!

What ever is good for you I guess. Be careful not to stretch until you have warmed up your muscles though - you can do some nasty damage stretching cold muscles.
  • Options
    Ooh can I join in, chaps? I run a 5k in about 34 mins, but I recently gave up smoking (2 months ago today!) and only started running 3 weeks ago.

Am doing a 5K race in September (Hydro Active in London's Hyde Park) and then really hoping to do a 10K in October - hopefully to coincide with my 30th birthday!!!

So, the aim at the moment is to complete the 5K race in under 30 mins :-)

Running is giving me SUCH A BUZZ!!!

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone .....

well done Emma on giving up smoking .... I gave up last year and its the best thing I have ever done ..... enjoy the running .... and welcome !

Sazzler - Im fine thanks - still running so thats the main thing. good thread you have going here, so well done you !

DP - hope all goes well tomorrow ....

well done keltik on your run - excellent stuff !

warm ups/down - I tend to walk for 5 mins before my run, then start run slowly for a mile or so and then run...... warming down is very important tho', so make sure you walk for a while after and then do some stretches..... dont stretch until your muscles are warmed up tho as that will cause injuries (think someone has mentioned that already!)

have a good day all
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    'tis very quiet on here today ... hope you are all ok

had a good 5 miler last night, tho' shins are feeling a bit iffy !

will go out on the bike later I think instead of running