Calorie Burning

I have started to use Map my run as a tool to find new runs etc and I find it really helpfull. Did my long slow run of just under 8 miles today and it calculates that I burnt 1076 calories ? The run took 1 hr 20 and I am around 200 lbs is this any where near acurate as it seems a lot of calories to burn ?

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    A very rough rule of thumb is 100 cals per mile, but I can't really see how MapMyRun could possibly give much more than an estimate, unless you enter height, weight, average and max heart rate etc - and even then it would be an estimate based on that.

Unless the route was very hilly, it does sound a lot for the distance.
  • Sounds about right, Rob :o) At 200lb, you can expect to use around 150 calories a mile.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    [bows to Dino's superior knowledge]

:o)
  • you do submit the weight and time u can add in heart rate but I don't as I have no monitor. I am sure it is a rough estimate I just wondered how rough it was ?
  • It's rough but not completely unrealistic, Rob.

When I'm road-running, a simple calculation (weight in stones x 10 x miles run) gives me almost exactly the same calorie burn as my HRM does. Out on the hills, it becomes a lot less accurate.