Sunday 10 June 2007

Wheel turnin' 'round and 'round
You go back jack do it again

Comments

• Welcome newcomers. Will read back soon.

What: Don't know but hopefuly a cycle
    Why: I'm not sure about that one either
    Last Hard: The last few weeks and yesterday
    Last Rest: friday

Have a great day all. The weather is sposed to still be good so get those barbies out as who know's how long it will last!
  • Hi Scooby - you sound more upbeat now - Rome wasn't built in a day and you have just converted to tris - I'd be absolutely hopeless! Just give it a little bit more time - I'm sure you'll surprise yourself.

What: Not a very nice day here today - husband went to Wellington to watch the All Blacks play the French - will have to pick him up from the airport this afternoon. Up early 19.5km done and dusted - very precise as someone in our group had a special watch.

Good luck to all those racing today.
  • venom and i went to see the all blacks v france too last night :) lots of fun indeed. our first all blacks game in NZ.
  • what: 10.3k "long" run - legs tired from yesterdays race but managed to maintain a decent enough pace. just 2 weeks today to my 10k race.
  • Morning all,

Wecome newbies!

Good luck to the racers and runners today

What: 5-6 miles easy on the hotel tready later today
    Why: Just keeping the legs moving
    Last Hard: Ages

Lyrics yep, great choice scoobs

Off to game reserve to play spot the 'big 5'..

Have a great day
  • Morning.

What: Southend Half
    Why: Seemed like a good idea at the time!
    Last Hard: Thursday

hilly, my pb's are listed here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/userprofile.php
  • Well done Scooby on yesterday. A damn site better than I would ever do in a TRI.

Tom - can never motivate myself to cross train when injured (and think would be right up there with you re amount of time I spend on the injury bench). Don't like the cross training and find nothing seems to be quite as time efficient as running. But gradually getting better with help of superb physio in identifying potential long term injuries earlier and backing off at right time. Not able to do this on my own as just keep hammering until break down. So an external brake is useful!

After developing a very sore right leg along shin this week, backed off Thursday and had intensive physio instead of a second run, complete rest Friday with a second physio session, then did 2 gentle 30 mins yesterday instead of killer session planned. Popped my horse strength anti-inflamms and leg now appears to be a bit less sore/tender. So thought I would set out on my long run at decent clip and see what happens.

Simon
  • Morning all

What: 10ish
    Why: recovery after yesterday
    LAst hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Friday

I think I was a bit spaced out last night. Sorry folks. Brought washing in from line only to stick it back in machine with more washing. I need a brain transplant - or just a brain would be good!!

Have a good one all. Enjoy the weather!!
  • kaz - your link isnt quite right i dont think (takes me to my pbs not yours!)

kaz's pbs (i think?)

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/userprofile.php?id=5100
  • Morning All

Haven't been around for a couple of days, sometimes life gets in the way and MrsDD has had to make a unexpected trip to the UK. Hence dad is left with DD1 (aged 3) and DD2 (aged 1) which rather fills up my days! Fortunately I'm tapering for Comrades so not too much of a need to run. As it is Mrs DD gets back Thursday morning and I jump on a plane to RSA on Thursday night, kids will be confused.

Anyway

What: 5 miles d & d, boy it was hot and humid this morning (35C & 95%).
    Why: Cos the opportunity arose.
    Last Hard: This morning it was horrible even by Dubai standards
    Last Rest: Yesterday.

• Perhaps that's cos you've got a user profile already M.

Will do them properly later - shouldn't even be online this morning!!!
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Good luck all racers today

Scoobs I also could not do a tri in any shape or form so dont beat yourself up at all!!

What: 11 miles/rehab exercises
    Why:Schedule
    Last hard: waiting all day wondering if new insoles had arrived at home
    Lyrics:Nope

Yes insoles arrived so I can take them for a spin did want to get up early to beat heat but sadly i struggled!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning all

What: 4 mile recovery run
    Why: Get over disappointment of last night's race (report later)
    Last hard: Last night :0(
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyric: :0) - nice one.
  • Morning,

Well done NR in the hot relay yesterday.

Today is going to be quite interesting as I will be doing the following –

What: 2 mile fun run then 10K race
    Why: sort of marathon simulation

Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: 30 days

The intention is to complete the hilly 10K in less than 40 minutes. This is not going to be easy at all as weekly mileage is right at the top end of my weekly running mileage scale. Why am I doing it? The last 10K of a marathon always see me struggle big time and the NFM in Sept has two brutal climbs in the last 10K. So today I am putting myself through the wringer (ps, no attempt has been made at carb depletion or dehydration which are the two other major influencing factors towards the end of a marathon) for a sub 40 min 10K.

And the fog has turned into drizzle + fog.
    Oh I forgot NR how could I!!
    Well done on your Welsh relay and especially in the hot weather!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning

Sodahead - BR would like to know have you considered doing a normal 20 miles training run immediately followed by a 10k race? Or is that for later in your programme? I remember MikeB running a 10 miles course then immediately racing the same course in about 54 mins a couple of years ago.

Hilly says the NFM does have a couple of hills but they really aren't brutal. It's because they come so late in the race they feel harder I expect.

Kaz - thanks. I followed M's link as your's wasn't working. You don't seem to be too far off where you were so shouldn't take you long.

what:10 miles
    why:final double figures run before SDM.
  • Hilly, I did something similar to what BR is suggesting last year at a local 10K in July. I will be doing the same again this year. A 20 mile training run then a 10K may be a bit much though - 16/18 definately doable.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Special hello to the Comrades runners, try to enjoy the taper I will miss it this year. Oh yeah!!!!

What: pacing at a 10km AM
    5 miles PB + hill session
    Why: I'm helping a friend
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: 14 days
  • Morning all.

Scoobs feeling a bit better after letting it all out yesterday, apparently. If you don't enjoy racing at the mo, then don't. Knowing you you'll enter one again at a whim when you do feel like it again.

Good racing for NR en M yesterday.

Hipps, Dartford isn't bad but not great either imo, but the whole area is improving all the time. I think next year the Ebbsfleet intl train station opening (eurostar) and consequently v fast commuter trains to london too will kick the improvements in the area into another gear.
    (I live just a bit south in Gravesend)

What: NDR
    Why: it's like marmite, you love it or hate it and unlike marmite, I love it
    Last rest: friday (plans changed)
    Last hard: monday
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Back from N wales safely yesterday............

A quick resume of the week 4 hikes covering peaks from 633m to 1085m,

5 visits to the gym to workout....

so thats

43.2km of Hiking
    55.2km of biking in the gym
    15.1km of rowing in the gym

Several visits to the local watering holes.... and ive put weight on.....

interesting point, hit 154 hr walking up devils kitchen, and hit 165 hr on the bike at max effort........

The knee was no problem during the workouts or the hike bar one.

So on that eveidence tried to go on the treadmill on Fri eve, 20 secs in and was of in pain - knee is nowhere near good, Physio again tomorrow, need to see what she says and does....

Take care all

• morning,

welcome home RFJ, sounds like an enjoyable week. hope physio finds some improvement

scoobs - have you thought of it this way - to put yourself through yesterday's trauma and finish you must be (a) totally dedicated and (b) extremely determined; both of which are great qualities and show your tremendous strength of character. as hilly said the occasional bad race makes the others so much better. how about a few weeks break from racing and come back fresh next time?

great leg nutty in the relay. your clothes will be very clean!

micksta - another strong run for season's best in your 5k

NZC - well done on the club vets prize and very well done to miniNZ too!

good luck to Kaz in the half and soda in the 10k. can't remember who else is racing but hope all go well and don't suffer too much in the heat

welcome to XL man and dormouse

got out early yesterday so not too hot for my long run. didn't wake up till about 3 miles and then had a complete ball, it was gorgeous and great to be alive. did that thing where you get progressively faster - started at 9min miling and finished with 8 and 7-50's. will definitely try that again.
    water heating has packed up agh! M had cold shower and declared paula deserves everything she wins. i'm a wimp - have golf match so will go down early and get showered there

what - rest
    why - overdue a bit
    last hard - 3 days
    last rest - 11 days
    lyrics - yes
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning all

Scoobs, hope your feeling a bit brighter today. NN says you ought to consider fell running. (OK, she never said any such thing, but I daren't own up).

Soda, good luck with leg weary 10k. It will be a struggle every step of the way, but your legs should clunk along on autopilot. A couple of years ago I ran 36:50 off a 100 mile week, then tapered for a week and floated though the first 10k of Bath HM in 36:40.

Interesting comments on the pain of racing. I think the better you run the less it hurts, except of course for the last 2-3 miles (but there again I don't run maras). The feeling of racing well is fantastic. It's a combination of running as fast as you can without self doubt, being totally turned on to every thing going on around you and your mind boggling at ever split to take. Sure the last 2-3 miles hurts like hell, but even then there's this wonderful sense of focus and control as you charge onwards unfazed by the pain. On the other hand as Scoobs described yesterday running badly is the most dispiriting experience imaginable.

Simon, hope shin holds up to day. Your approach is a model of good sense!

SO here it is....

What: rest from running
    Why: to allow ITB inflamation to subside
    Last run: 4 days
    Next run: 10 days - subject to physio approval

My son has a mate who is a shit hot guitatist. He plays in a local band called "The Elliot Watson Band". This is now the pet name that the family have given to my knee injury.

Right off to do a bit of diy, which involved a hammer, some nails, lumps of wood, and an enormous number of sheets of plaster board, So whilst I'm thumping around in the attic I shall be musing on loss of fitness, minimum training to maintain it, and speed with which it can be recovered.

Have a good day, take care in the heat and water well.

Kaz, wouldn't have you down as an F40! Mind you Hilly hardly looks old enough to be out on her own.
  • Morning!

FellGirlScooby - reading your report a second time... it actually sounds like you had quite a good race - you had quite a ding dong battle physically and mentally in the heat. Hope you have an ace bike today. Then find yourself another race! go pirate!

SiT - please don't getting injured again!

Good luck flyaway on the tri today - including that king of the hill final dash!

Hello to the new joiners!

Today started with the aquathlon... did this for the first time last autumn when both Shiraz and I picked up prizes... however, today was never going to be so straight-forward - there are a few more peeps racing now and also yesterday my bike ride stretched to 111 miles - not an ideal taper!

Started with 750 OW swim - somehow I managed to go backwards at the start and was quickly 30m back from the lead swimmers. Shiraz was right alongside me (she actually took a sneaky short cut at one buoy!). Decided that wasn't on and upped my swim stroke. Overtook a couple of peeps, got to half way probably still less than 50m down on the lead... Upped my stroke again, foolishly tried to take a breath underwater (it doesn't work - please don't try this!), overtook one more person and then made it home to the beach probably still less than 50m down... next time I'll try to start a bit faster... Had a few problems getting the wettie off, watched some fast runners (men and women) head out from transition then finally got my trainers on and chased after them. Immediately got a stitch, but not too bad. Held ground with the women in front of me, overtook a two people, got overtaken by 3 (including the world champ Richard S who'd sportingly given us a 5 minute head start). Found I had tired legs on the second run lap (yesterday's bike ride still with me) but then had loads of strength on the third lap (although one very fast lady still zoomed past me)

End results - swim+transition 11:11 (last autumn was 12:06 but the swim course was slightly different), run 21:09 (last autumn 20:49) - overall 32:20 (last autumn 32:55) - not that I entirely trust the timers!

Shiraz had fun too - 11:48 for swim (13:37 last year when Spans peer pressure persuaded her to go wetsuit free!), then 23:37 for the run (23:08 last year).

There were points/prizes for the first 5 men and women... my position was 6... Shiraz's position was 6... drats!

Will see if we can improve next time out (there are 3 more of these this year)... especially as we've both got colds right now.

What: aquathlon (750 swim, 5km run) d&d. Then did 750 swim warmdown. Will head out for 13 miles of hot running later.
    Why: IMA - 28 days.
    Lyrics: Nope.

Enjoy the sunshine!
  • Well, didn't get up as early as I'd have liked to but set off to see the Boundary race early legs at 8:20am, managing 6.5M (on the bike) in 30mins with a couple of tough uphills. Saw our three teams doing OK then went home via part of the Barnsley 10k route, having covered 15.3M in 72mins so I'm getting faster!

It'll be interesting to see how my legs fare for my 4.2M+ race this afternoon. Think I've rehydrated and eaten enough to compensate for the bike miles.

Well done in the aquathlon Hollywood and Shiraz!
  • RFJ - I've not been in total touch with the bench since getting of it, what's the problem with you? Do you think it could be ankle-related from the sprain that you did last year, about the same time as I did mine?
    Run went well and even faster than it seemed to be in the heat....blasted charity strollers were in my way on prom I nearly came a cropper with a cyclist.

Pops- Re yesterday would not allow daughter if I had one to be on chat forums at all too dangerous!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hello again, folks
    Well, Night Nurse told me a race report was expected, so for those who are interested, here goes.

Blaydon Race 2007 - 5.7 miles from Newcastle city centre,following the route of the song, 'alang the Scotswood Road' to Blaydon.

Last year's official time 41:22 (user error prevented me getting my own time right last year) - this year, confident of beating 06's time, and hoping to get close to 40 minutes.

Mile 1 - target 7:10 actual 7:21
    Happy with this, a crowded start winding round streets and lanes before reaching dual carriageway. Mustn't panic and try to make up 10s in one mile. Keep it steady!

Mile 2 - target 7:05 (14:15) actual 6:55 (14:16) OK, how did that happen? I was fairly sure I'd been good, hadn't pushed hard. Feeling very happy. Don't get carried away, keep it steady

Mile 3 - target 7:00 (21:15) actual 7:02 (21:18) Feeling good, right on course, time to pick it up, just a little. Don't go daft.

Mile 4 - target 7:00 (28:15) actual ?
    Who pinched the mile marker? I'm sure it's somewhere round here.

Mile 5 - target 6:50 (35:05) actual 15:00 for last 2, (36:18) :0(
    Where did that go wrong. It was a bit warm, but I was sure I hadn't slowed that much. Others are blaming global warming for me, but I'm not convinced.

Mile 5.7 - target 40 minutes actual 41:23 and slower than last year. Not a clue what went wrong.

Chalk it up to experience and get on with things again.

Good luck to all those racing today. And well done on some impressive performances.
  • hello
    well, my race hurt like hell-but then,i dont run well
    and it was on the back of a streaming cold, and i drove there again-mega stress

but i did a pb-by about 3 minutes(my 5 mile pb is very soft and set on a hilly course)
    superb little race-Long Eaton 5
  • Imski thanks for the info
  • Huge congratulations on the PB, PH
    3 minutes off 5 miles !! That's some chunk.
    Isn't 5 miles a bit of a sprint for you ?
    ;0)