Sunday 10 June 2007

Comments

• yes XB, it is
    i dont kinow whats come over me, a 10k last week, and now this
    did you eat the tripe at Blaydon?
  • No, I didn't
    I'm usually so hungry that I can scoff the ham'n'pease pud sandwich fairly quickly, even though I can't stand pease pudding.
    draw the line at tripe though :0(

10k last week - 5 miles this
    a worrying trend there ?
  • nah
    marathon next week:))
  • phew
    I was worried there
    Which marathon?
  • South Downs
    Hilly is doing it too
    she won last year
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Blimey Hippo, 5 milers and 10ks - its hardly worth you slipping out of your high heels for that.

Slight domestic issue here this morning revolving around unauthorised use of rolling pin and issues of hygiene apertaining thereto! Never had these Sunday morning problems in the old days.
  • Ahh, 'SDM' makes sense to me now.
    You'll be giving her a race this year?
    ;0)

• Oh yeah XL-for sure i will
    I was in last place last year
    takes training to do that you know;)
  • Rather intriguing post tom;)
  • So if she wins again this year, you were ahead of her by 12 months, with nobody inbetween !
  • Afternoon all,

Maybe it's the heat or something, but running is a real struggle at the moment. I knew when I got up this morning that a long run would not be a good idea. Yesterday's 5.5 miles included quite a bit of walking and ended up at an average pace slower than any run I've got recorded on my PC - that's going back about 4 years. Then had a poorly tummy most of yesterday, as well. Better today, though, but decided on another short one - same route as yesterday. It was a lot harder than normal but at least I kept running today.

What's odd is that I have done 5 runs this week, all of about 4.5-5.5 miles and the average paces have been 8:10, 8:01, 8:31, 9:36 and 8:51. RHR is same as normal. Odd.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    FL - The injury is knee this time and is on opposite leg, so doubt very much that they were linked as ankle healed quick. The issue I have is that the cartalidge is degenerating, hence the pain.... physio said initialyy that would only be out for a few weeks, that quickly changed to months.... on the next assessment, go back tomorrow for more physio... so will wait and see.

PH and XL ma wll done on your races (esp 3 mins PH, excellent).

Take care
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Quick post so will read back later.

Brekkie: pancake and croissant and sugary tea.

What: 1.6 mi in 20mins at 55%MHR ave.
    Why: Warm-up with daughter

Then 500ml of energy drinks

What: 11.86mi in 2hr at 67%MHR ave.
    Why: LSR1

Then pee stop and more energy drinks.

Then...

What: 13mi in 2:07hr at 75%MHR ave.
    Why: LSR2

Finished with more energy drinks and water.

Total: 26.44mi in 4:26 as a time-on-feet run all done in Puma H Streets with minimal muscles soreness. Feeling pretty good now.

Back later.

• Afternoon...hey Scoobs you sound happier today..good on ya gal !!

Glad to see you are doing your daddy bit DD..how long now till Comrades..must be next week ??

NR glad you enjoyed the relays..how come you declined to stay overnight on the floor of the hot, sweaty, smelly hall, listening to peeps farting and snoring all night ???

XL man great report weldone, it is hot at the moment so dont be too disapointed with your time! have you done that course before to compare ?

Hipps what are you turning into ?? a sprinter ???well done on the PB you must be well chuffed...

Well I ventured to a very hot..undulating..North Devon today..the Half marathon was run in the most challenging direction...not what I was told last week !!

WE started in Hatherleigh in 27 degs..lovely...if you are on the beach..

I had already decided I was taking it easy..I only planned to do it earlier in the week so didnt taper or anything..no catagory prizes..hilly and hot..so I thought no point in going silly and hating it every minute in THAT heat !

Decided NOT to wear a watch and just enjoy it ..So started AT THE BACK !!! with 2 female club mates that would usually run around 2.15 for a half..and encouraged them over the first couple of miles ..I then ran on a bit and felt good for the slow start..but still stayed steady..

kept up a steady 8-8.30 min miling..it was so blinking hot..run on open roads and virtually NO shade..but I didnt feel too bad..and by 6 miles caught up with the usual suspects...I would race with !! and picked them off easily..I even over took going UP HILL!! much to my amazement..I honestly thought "I AM OVERTAKING GOING UP A HILL!!! it didnt even really feel a struggle..

It was up and down for the first 5-6 miles then mainly up hill for the final 7 or so finishing on a right swine of a hill !!

I didnt get overtaken ONCE over the whole course..and finally over took my last victim at 11.5 miles..I just wish it was a flat course in cool weather..I just know I would have got a good time I felt so strong all the way....so the slow start really helped..crossed the line feeling fine in 1.52 so really pleased ..it felt like a strong training run..but I still managed to come in 2-3 mins in front of people I would normally race with all the way
    Informed that on average the course is 10-12 mins SLOWER in the direction it was run this year..so that figures really.. I would normally expect low 1.40s

Look forward to other reports !!

• Afternoon,

XL-Man, still a decent effort. Heat will have slowed you down a bit.
    Hippo, congrats on the 5 mile PB

The 10K (and then some) went very well this morning. I was in 3rd place up until 9.5K when I caught and passed one of our clubs sharp young runners who slaughters me over 5K but rarely races anything further than 4 miles. I passed the 10K marker in 37.34 and the bit to the finish line took another 1.26. So, highest finish in a race ever and considering the size of the race the prizes were very good indeed.
    The sun came out in the last two kilometres which made running conditions very tough, however it made things just perfect for the club picnic and general gathering after the race.

An excellent event and great day out.
  • Thanks, NN & Sodahead
    Yesterday was my 4th Blaydon, NN
    Last year was quicker, in similar conditions. hence my disappointment, but there'll be more good runs,I know.

Congratulations to both of you. Looks like you both had cracking runs. It seems the steady start did you the world of good, NN.
    Must be nice to teach the youngsters a lesson, SH :0)
  • Well done Hipps and NN. Will read back properly later to see how everyone's done today.

Well that's another half under the belt. I do wonder tho' why I do these things to myself?!??!

All I can say is it was a better run than last year (thanks primarily to being overcast and not as hot) but it still remains one of my 'bogey' courses. 10 mins off pb. Was about 2 mins under at around half way. ;o(

Blister situation pretty bad so it's back to the drawing board there. At least I didn't have to make use of the first aid facilities as I had to the other weekend. Even got a blister under my little toe which is a new, and rather uncomfortable, place.

Decided to ditch the idea of going down to the seafront for chish and fips but instead stopped and had a nice cold pint of shandy on the way home (thanks to passing a pub at the 11 mile mark and getting that idea in my head!!).

Apart from needing to find a way of resolving the blister problem, I think I need to start working some faster miles into my LSRs. I can do speed and I can do distance - need to tie them together!
  • Well done everyone who's been racing - this wouldn't be my pick of weather for it, for sure!

What: Pilates
    Why: Easy day again, don't want to go too mad too soon
    Last hard: anon

Hippo, I'm in sunny Selly Oak (tho not right at this moment, enjoying some home time in Yorkshire :) ) - yourself?
  • hello
    RFJ---------months off running-eek!
    well run Soda, kazz and NN

Brumliz-i am in stourbridge-but my birthplace is in Yorkshire too
  • Hello!

Wantage Triathlon

Well, I am no longer a tri virgin! I completed it, and I had a really good time. Unfortunatley now, I might be hooked, which can only be an expensive thing!!!

Because I put down such an enormous swim time (cos I used to be even more rubbish than I am!) I started with the first wave at 8am. The swim went ok - how do you warm-up for a swim when you cant get into the pool?? Getting the breathing right took me several lengths, and then I was stuck behind a guy doing breast-stroke, but still kind of going faster than me except I caught him at the end of every length, only to have him turn around faster than me. But I didnt really care, cos the swim is what I'm worst at, so I was just happy to get through it!!!
    Swim: 800m
    Target time: sub-20mins
    Actual time: 19:30
    (YAY!)

T1: Didn't faff too much, but its surprising how the seconds tick by when you're getting your shoes and socks on!
    T1: 2:01

The bike course was very hilly - some lovely long downhills but also some grinding uphills! Managed to drink some lucozade and eat an energy bar that my hubby had ingeniously fixed to the tri-bars...there was still loads of fog on the tops of the hill which worried me a bit cos no-one had lights, but none of us got killed....
    Bike: 35km
    Target time: sub-1hr30mins
    Actual time: 1:20:30
    (YAY!)

T2: 0.46 Not much to do other than take off my helmet and gloves!!

Set off on the run feeling pretty much ok, cos I remembered to spin the last mile or so. Got to the bottom of the King of the Hill and just thought, No way!!! Everyone around me was walking (but I did get overtaken by a couple of guys who run like the wind up it!!). Walking fast was quicker for me. The hill must be about a kilometer, took me over 9mins to walk up it, and I think the "winner" of KOTH took over 4 mins....
    From the top there was a brilliant km of steep downhill - I'm good at running down! - which I could fly down, get the legs awake again. Lost it a little bit in the last 10mins or so, because I didnt know how far it was left - no distance markers - and had a little walk break, but then made myself run the rest of it...
    Run:12km
    Target time: sub-65mins
    Actual time: 65:03
    (almost!!!)

Target for whole race: sub-3hrs
    Actual time: 2:47:50
    (YAY!!)

I came 118th/127.
    21th/23 female
    12th/13 senior female

SO I also made the last of my targets which was not to come last!!!!!!!!!!! hehe

Definately achieved the others - had lots of fun. Very tired now though. Now, about the Little Woody.......!!
  • SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Flyaway - Congrats!

NRG - Good long run

Well done to everyone who raced today.

What: 6 miles
    Why: More of the same
    Last hard: ....

• Well done flyaway. Great report too.

If only I could ride a bike and swim!!! ;o)
  • Hello all

everyone is racing well which is brill in this weather.

Have rest this evening all.

cheerio.
  • Erm?? XL man..I AM a youngster, you have only been here 2 days...dont be so cheeky LOL !!!

Well done Kazzaaah!! a well earned shandy I would say !

flyaway.. brilliant report !!great stuff..plenty of YAYS going on there..so just for you YAY !!!
  • Afternoon All.

Lyrics yes and an excellent choice Scoobs.
    Sorry the aquathon didnt go as planned but thing like this sometimes happen for no apparant reason. We all go through periods when nothing seems to go to plan and then for no apparant reason things start to work out again.

NZC. Well done on the womans vets team prize. Glad your son in law is on the mend and your grand daughter enjoyed her race.

Welcome XL-man good report of the Blaydon race.

Well done at Bushey Park Micksta.

Sodahead. I thought I was doing well with 79 miles this week. How long are you plaaning to keep 100mpw up? I used to run some good races on heavy training like you and it seems your race went very well.

Welcome Kazzaaaaah and im sorry your race didnt go so well.

Well done on your aquathon Hollywood and Shiraz. I had to read your report just to find out what one is! What with aquathons and duathlons I get so confused!

Well done on the 5 mile pb ther hippo. You had me a bit worried there for a while with short distance stuff. Nice to see you back to your old self with the SDM next week.

NN thats a great way to run a race isnt it? Move through, never getting passed. Well done.

flyaway you sound like you enjoyed your tri.

Yesterday i ran 5.25 miles to abd from work and today 12 miles with 26 mins tempo.

Good Runnings everyone.

ps. so a tri is swim bike run, duathlon is bike run and aquathon is swim run right?
  • Hello all,

just popping in having speedily read back. Congrats to racers - Scooby - will e-mail you. Want to go to tri club circuits tomorrow? We can run slowly together and then do the circuits together.

What: 20 mins abs/core
    Why: showing my friend my killer core routine
    Last hard: a week!
    Last rest: all week

Recovery week of training next week and then into build phase. Yay!

Good runnings all.
  • Yes...get Scoobs back out there Mel !
  • good afternoon

nice lyrics Scooby & glad you sound like you've got over yesterday.

congrats on a huge PB Hippo

NR - well done in your Castles leg yesterday. Would have loved to represent our club (Wirral) in it but got nowhere near the team on current form . A warm weekend like last year - I suspect the casualties you saw won't be the only ones this weekend.

Enjoy your new addiction flyaway - well done on your debut.

Well done NN, Hollywood, Shiraz in your various races/aquathlons.

what: 9.2 in 67:51, mean HR 154
    why: the need to push mileage upwards. This was the longest outing since getting injured in March

HR higher than I would have liked, a definite case of heat-induced cardiac drift. Still, I'll take this sort of weather any time over a damp, freezing winter's day.
  • NN - if your strong training runs whilst setting off conservatively actually place you better than your races I'm sure you can draw the appopriate conclusions

Tom -Mind you Hilly hardly looks old enough to be out on her own.

That's what I thought so I figured it would be best to chaperone her every night:-)

Nice reward for a training run Sodahead

Kazzaaaah, do you have splits and overall time to post? It's sometimes good to see patterns in a race performance.