Training Plans for the Gym (coz I cant run...)

RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
Im being a bit lazy asking here.

But its now been 3.5 weeks since being told that I had Patella Fimoralartritious... and told to do strengthening exs on quads which I am duely doing.

I was told by the physio that I can do gym work too as long as its not impact.

So as i have access to a great gym, I was wondering if there are any schedules out there, or if anyone has a homemade plan that would suit a potential 3:30 marathon.

The equipment used are....

Bike
Rower
Eplictial Trainer

and possible a stepper

Any advice welcome,

Many thanks.

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    RFJ

I'm a big fan of the rower, and am building myself up using it, as i believe it compliments running. A good website i've found which has a thread for runners they might be able to advise further as to what to do

here it is

From memory i know theres a few rowing threads on here as well

I'm slowly coming back from my ankle injury, but will still use the rower and the bike and i love the step machine we have at our gym its gives a great workout
  • Are you doing any weights at all RFJ? That would be good for quad strengthening (well, all round body strengthening if you do exercises for all muscle groups).

Leg extension (quads)
    Leg curl (hamstrings)
    Squats/Leg Press/Lunges (whole legs and includes glutes)

If you want exercises for other body parts let me know :)

On the bike, rower and elliptical trainer you can do similar sessions to running ie long run, tempo, speedwork and hills. You can vary intensity and times so easy to do equivalents. I once read that 1.5 bike miles = 1mile of running so you may wish to take that into account when training.

(Apologies for imperial measures but I don't work in km!)

Rower - good for quads on push back (leg and arm extension). Just remember to take care of your back. In fact, legs should be the main mover on the rower...

Elliptical mimics running gait quite well so you know what you can do there... Is it the type that has the handles too? Good upper body work out too...

• Oops forgot to say don't forget core work - very important!

Maybe there is someone around who coaches marathon runners who could make you up a training schedule using bike, rower and elliptical... (Have you thought of asking Gobi for help, RFJ?)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    CC - Have Fmailed Gobi, thanks,

Thanks for comments all sound like a good base to work.

As I said earlier Im try to work out the best way of doing it all apart from just turning up and doing stuff...... must admit I dont like weights so have always avaided them like the plague.

CC you mention core work, is that the general streching you are refering to or the abs and back? (both are lacking a bit anyway at the moment......

Probably having a rest day today as very tired, but may make the gym before closing time.

• Core work strengthens deep abs and back muscles - the postural muscles RFJ. Exercises like the plank, side plank, bridge, superman...

You should not, I repeat not, avoid weights. You don't have to build big muscles with them. You can do muscular endurance so you don't. Resistance training has multiple benefits - helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis, help reduce joint wear and tear, keeps your metabolism at a healthy rate, you look more toned and it can reduce the risk of injury (because your muscles are strong and working all the body's muscle groups they are all balanced).

Now I've written a novel! I hope it's helpful. You know where I am if you want me :)
  • RFJ

Sorry to hear about the injury, yes it's a frustrating time - I should know I have been going through it myself 5 weeks pre FLM.

I have been living in the gym while having the achilies problem and have been doing plenty of weights and concentrating on core work which I have soon major improvements.

Check this link out with swiss ball core work

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ridgelinefitness&p=r

There are moves with swiss balls that I could never thought were possible and when mastered 1 ball try 2 or even 3 at the same time.

Best of luck
  • Me again.

Sorry about the spelling!

Also I have found rowing a great way to keep the fitness going and am also using the same link that Pammie has given for logging my distances and recording my pbs.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Ref the weights - daft question, is using - going round the multi-gym a good idea as clueless with weights, even though have 2 dumbells at home.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks again for comments above
  • RFJ - do you want me to email you with a sample all round programme?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    That would be great please do CC, I think you have my email already, if not I am enabled anyway.

Thanks.
  • creamcake, if you post it here then everyone can benefit - such is the beauty of public forums :)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    RFJ: Lots of good advice given. I've had similar injuries to you.

My top recommendations are:
    - work on the core-muscles including lower back with pillates and swiss ball. It takes a long time to develop these muscles but it is worth it.
    - I used to bike a lot but now I prefer an elliptical cross trainer. Except I don't hold onto the bars, I use core-muscles to maintain balance. I also focus on keeping my centre of mass absolutely level. Go forwards for the inner quads and backwards for hamstrings.

Good luck.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Havnt tried backwards yet....!

Saw physio today - little improvemnt, so some more exercises, at least 6 weeks before even allowed to run at best in physios opinion......

So plenty of gym work to do.

Take care
  • Obviously, a lot depends on what weights machines/equipment there are in the gym but:

Legs: Leg Extension, Leg Curl, Calf Raises (with or without dumbells or using a calf raise machine and seated calf raises), Leg Press, Squat (using Smith machine, barbells, stability ball against a wall, dumbells) or Lunges (with or without dumbells, best without to start with!)- do 2 sets of 15 with a weight that makes that last couple of reps difficult (bit of trial and error there). Exercises like Squats and lunges work the whole leg and the glutes into the bargain too.

Chest: Chest Press, Bench Press (barbells or Smith machine), Incline Bench Press, Chest Flyes, Incline Chest Flyes, Press Ups, Pec Dec - again 2 sets of 15 reps as above.

Back: Seated Row, Lat Pulldown, Reverse Flyes, Narrow Grip Bent Over Row (with barbell), Wide Grip Bent Over Row (with barbell).

Shoulders: Shoulder Press, Front Press, Lateral Raise

Arms: Bicep Curls (lots of variations - either machine, barbell or dumbell), Tricep Kickbacks, Tricep Extensions, Tricep Dips

Core: Plank (aim to hold up to a minute, keeping a neutral spine), Side Plank (aim for up to a minute each side), Bridge (hold until your pelvis starts to become unstable), Superman (aim for same amount of time each side) - with all these exercises start with small amounts of time as they are very difficult.

So, the exercises you do depend on the equipment available. A good mix of free weights (dumbells and barbells) and fixed weight machines are good, however free weight technique can be hard for a beginner to master.

Plan one (including both free weights and fixed machines).

Squats
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    Bench Press
    Wide Grip Bent Over Row
    Lat Pulldown
    Shoulder Press
    Bicep Curl
    Tricep Kickback
    Plank
    Side Plank
    Superman

Plan two (fixed machines only)

Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    Chest Press
    Seated Row
    Lat Pulldown
    Shoulder Press
    Bicep/Preacher Curl Machine
    Tricep Extension on cable machine
    Ab Curl/Crunch
    Dorsal Raise

You really need to be shown how to use free weights properly before using them in a programme. Same goes for core work - you need to be sure you are doing the exercises properly otherwise you won't get the benefit from them and you could end up injuring yourself if you don't do them properly.

Remember to warm up before using weights ie 5mins of graduated exercise eg rowing on a lightish resistance but getting slightly faster each minute per 500m ie start at say 3mins 20 secs per 500m for 1st min, 3mins 10secs for 2nd... Then do some active/dynamic stretching ie lunge walking, dynamic pec decs, dynamic shoulder presses - taking the joints and muscles through their range of movement (gently). Remember to cool down afterwards ie 5mins cycling reducing the resistance each min then stretch all muscle groups.

Sorry, a lot there but ideally you need someone to show you how to set the machines up, how to do the exercises etc.

Hope this has been helpful.

Creamcake
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I doubt I will use free weights other than Dumb bells, as will usr the mutigym at work ( we have a trainer there too so can get some info)....

Many thanks
  • Other good forms of core stability exercise are:

pilates
    yoga
    tai chi
    using a stability ball as a weights bench
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Thats going over my head now........ I'll try and concerntrate on the core with stretches and weights and the gym work.....

Got a good session intonight on the cross trainer, 45mins inc 3 x 1k at a faster pace. and 20 mins on the bike, would have liked longer but had to pick up RFJ jnr from running club.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Knackered now, after doing all the exercises from the Physio, plus 1hr 04 mins on the cross Trainer..... but feel good, and that must be good.

Plan to do some weights tomorrow night all being well on the multi-gym.