DISCO Assessment

Comments

• Thanks Scrummy. I will at some point, I promise.
  • Good sounds like it all went well. Label is irrelevant - provision is what counts. And keeping firmly in mind the relative degree of his differences. Your view of his needs may be very different to what is available (and funded). He sounds like he is taking initiative for his own success and this is really what he needs to be able to do.

Will mail more later on - busy!

• Sounds like a through assessment - good, & I'm glad to hear that they will spend a while thinking about the diagnosis.
    One thing I would really really tell little-mint to do at his new school is learn WHERE ARE THE TOILETS. It's one thing you really don't want to get disorientated looking for!
  • good to here it was so thorough Minty
    you know, i can still remember my first day at big school
    a map would have been very helpful to me!

(come to think of it, it would be for every hospital i go to work in)
  • Minty - no. 1 little CC was lucky as his teacher put him forward for extra visits run by out county's behaviour support service. He now has a map so he knows where things are, plus they've looked round the school, had lunch, seen arrangements for going home etc. He has his full induction day there on Monday next week. Then year 7 go back the day before the rest of the school. The school he is going to has toilets especially for year 7, lunch 1 is meant for year 7's too and they have tennis courts at playtime that are year 7 only and supervised!

Glad it was a thorough assessment. No. 1 little CC has a diagnosis of mild Aspergers. As has been said, there are varying degrees and not everyone has all the characteristics. I know labels aren't as important as provision but often you need a label to get adequate provision (as I've found out too!).

All sounds positive though. Keep us informed, Minty, as to the outcome of the assessment when you get it. You are going a fantastic job - it's not easy trying to get adequate support for your kids when they are like ours!!

I agree, Hippo, about having a map. All I had when I started secondary school was about half a day there - quick tour with someone pointing out "this is the science block" etc, quick swim in school's pool then back to primary school!!
  • I was a bit surprised about him asking for a map because disorientation is never something I've picked up on. Although he did ask the way to the next village the other day (he was going to cycle) and I was surpised at that too because in the car he always seems to know where we're going, can read maps and has a jolly good laugh at me if I miss a turning (usually because my brain is somewhere else). Also the next village is simply along one road - so you hardly need directions.

I don't think he will need the map for very long but I think he would probably feel more confident to know his way round in advance of going there. I guess it's one less stress.

I had the best night's sleep last night that I've had in ages. I've only just woken up! I didn't need an alarm as my first appointment is at 2.00pm with the school and then I'm invigilating an exam this evening.

Poor kids on their adventure holiday in that weather yesterday. It was awful here - roads flooding, branches of trees falling into the road. I couldn't believe it was just a couple of days since mid-summer! It's finer today though so hopefully they will be able to get on with their activities. I do wonder how Little Mint will cope but he's got the perfect excuse if he wants to sit anything out because he's got a torn ligament. I know he wants to have a go though and that's great.
  • Did anyone hear about the brain classroom? I think I read a little about it on teletext yesterday. My own brain is so addled at the moment, I can't properly remember.

It's been designed and is based on the human brain. Pupils can choose what and how they learn. They can work alone, or in groups. Some pupils tried it out and thought it was amazing. How marvellous is that? I think that would solve a lot of behaviour problems in schools.
  • Just to let you know, the visit to the new school went well. They seemed extraordinarily nice (after the experiences I've had recently with the primary school).

They are more than willing to do all that they can to make the transition a smooth one. They gave me the timetable for the induction day tomorrow so that Little Mint will know what's going to happen. They said he will be receiving a map and an aerial photograph of the school and they will give him a Year 10 mentor who will look out for him in the first six weeks of school. All very positive stuff.

I forgot to tell them about his problems with writing but I have the SENCO's email address and direct dial so I certainly felt that if there is anything else for me to worry about they are happy for me to get in touch.

Very happy about that.
  • I thought I would let you know the latest as I do value your views.

As to the church bloke who said to HT that I was about to make a complaint - he denies this and said it was her saying that she feared I was about to make a complaint. Subtle difference. So, yet again, she's been proved to be lying and this time has shot herself in the foot because now the school inspector is sniffing round wanting to know what's going on and called a meeting with her. They said that at that meeting it was agreed that the School Inspector should speak to me to hear my views and reach an amicable agreement - that should be interesting.

I had requested a parent survey as Chair of Governors. She fought against it and eventually we agreed to just survey the parents of the children that were leaving. However, since she got called to task over her lies, she's now saying they should survey all parents. That should be interesting because I can't find a parent that likes her!

Little Mint kicked off again at school on Tuesday and walked out. I'm really embarrassed. Apparently he told them that he would do them for false imprisonment and then said that if they touched him he would do them for assault! I'm really angry with him and don't condone that behaviour at all! I could cry, I really could. I've punished him accordingly and told him that if he doesn't behave he will give me the excuse I'm looking for not to turn up at any of the end of term events. He wants me there so he's agreed to behave.

I can't help but wonder why he's doing this though.

Then I got a phone call from the vicar saying that the headteacher had asked him to explore with me removing Little Mint before the end of term because they can't manage him. When I offered to do that she was really anti. I'm now thinking why should I? I have offered instead, to be in school so that if anything happens I can just frogmarch him out of there.

Any thoughts?

Still haven't heard results of assessment.
  • Yes I wonder why the vicar feels the need to get involved. Surely the HT is able to use the phone? In your position I think I'd be saying that if the HT wants you to remove him then she needs to ask you directly not via an intermediary.

Little Mint may have got the idea that he could get a couple of weeks extra holiday if he plays up enough, especially if the teachers have said something about getting him removed. I think you're right to try to avoid that.

The other major issue may be around communication. Literal interpretation is very difficult for NT's to get to grips with. If the teacher says something like "sing out if you know the answer" then Little Mint might well do just that. Of course teacher might see that as being cheeky and tell him off and then the whole thing escalates.

I've probably told you about the teacher Mrs FR had who delighted in giving her ambiguous instructions so that he had an excuse to beat her. Sadly sometimes people still do this sort of thing. You'll probably need to watch his peer group very carefully as he gets older. Autistic adolescents crave acceptance, and sometimes are befriended by the wrong types who will use their concrete thinking for their own nefarious ends.

Usually its entirely innocent. Mrs FR once vanished without trace at Uni, and there was quite a fuss about it. She eventually turned up at her home some 150 miles away, having made her way there on foot. She's walked something like 40 miles along the hard shoulder of the A1. Why?, because a security guard had come across her playing pinball late at night in the Students Union and told her it was time to "Go Home".

Having said that, there's a world of difference between a security guard who doesn't know the background, and a teacher who does. Someone needs to get a grip here, and it shouldn't be all down to you.
  • FR - thank you. It goes from bad to worse. Every day I hear something else and it's starting to make me feel ill. I haven't eaten for 24 hours now and I feel like vomiting. I'm hungry but when I look at food it makes me feel sick.

They're now asking me to remove him after today on extended holiday. It's actually NOT what he wants. He's miserable. When he's at school they're ignoring him. Yesterday one of his few friends told him that he's not allowed to be friends with him any more because if he is, the head teacher won't give him the present that she's bought him.

I'm not going to remove him. He's settled down and has behaved well since Tuesday. Yesterday apparently he did a really good piece of work. The TA said "wow, that's really good" and showed the head teacher. The head teacher shrugged and walked away.

Having insisted to me that he's average intelligence, she's told the vicar he's a really bright boy and has done well in his SATS. My contention is that they haven't challenged him adequately and he's been sooooo bored that he eventually played up. Bright kids do that. Aspergers kids do that. Bullied kids do that. In spite of all he was going through, he still did well in his SATS. It speaks volumes doesn't it? I haven't had the results yet.

Parent Partnership now think I should seek legal advice! Nice isn't it? Why couldn't she just be satisfied that I resigned as Chair of Governors?
  • My contention is that they haven't challenged him adequately and he's been sooooo bored that he eventually played up. Bright kids do that. Aspergers kids do that. Bullied kids do that

Whats he good at Minty? It might be worth trying to see just how talented he is. Mrs FR's ability at Maths was discovered quite by accident, after all you wouldn't expect a little girl who could barely speak to be very good at anything. She stole a book on calculus and was discovered working through the questions - cue another beating. then a supply teacher looked at her "scribblings" and showed them to a maths teacher she knew. Then they tested her IQ and found it was nearly off the scale.

It doesn't always follow that kids with ASD's are necessarily gifted, but it does happen. If he does have a gift lurking there then he will get frustrated at being held back.

Might be worth surrepticiously (sp) trying to establish.

And look after yourself. remember you're her life guide - you're no good to her if you're sick.

Not my words to you but the words of a very wise person to me, when I hit the bottle in a big way after Mrs had tried to kill herself in a fit of despair.

I echo them to you now - not because I'm particularly wise though...

• Minty - he has 2 weeks left. I really don't feel it is worth the aggravation for you. Just walk away.
  • I've had to remove him. She's now persuaded all the kids to ignore him. Completely. I can't put him through that on a daily basis.

I just hope the parent survey throws some light on her inadequacies but it's not my problem or my son's any more.

FR - his music teacher says he is innately musical and has a God given gift. He's also mathematical. Not in an off the scale way - he actually hates maths but he's just come 2nd in the school SATS results. I've told his new school about his musical ability and we're going to try and stretch to piano lessons (on top of cornet lessons) in September.

He failed his cycling proficiency today - teacher said he was 'all over the place' - it made me smile a bit. I already know that!
  • Oh and I've told the vicar that whilst I'll talk to him as my vicar - I don't want him going back to her. I thinks he's quite relieved actually. He rang me from her office earlier and I'm afraid I swore at him and put the phone down on him. God forgive me.

Actually he was cool about it. Concerned, but cool.
  • Minty - I failed Cycling Proficiency 3 times, & look where that got me :) [work in a bike shop as well as IM]

I'd suggest pointing out that it's the school's job to provide appropriate support to 'manage' little-mint in school time, or make an appropriate referral. You've got a diagnosis now, so the DDA definitely applies [DDA also applies in education too - that's fairly recent]. Ask the HT to put everything in writing, & keep copies - might even make her think harder about it.

Primary school decided I had global learning difficulties - got put in the non-reader's group because I refused to do the 'Peter and Jane' books except upside down 'cos they were too easy.

Just a thought, but is there any way little-mint could join a band or something that's not associated with the school? Getting a chance to do a structured activity around other people his own age could be useful for him. Guide patrol in the next town was for a while the only place I spoke to people when school was going badly.
  • Music - fabulous!! - the number of ASD musicians there are you would not believe. Jimmi Hendrix sticks out as one. Amy Winehouse has Aspergers, Steve Gadd probably one of the greatest rock drummers ever (think Paul Simon, Eric Clapton, just about any great band - Steve has played for them). Music, like mathematics, and art are universal languages. All areas where ASD folks can thrive.

Don't worry about swearing at the vicar. I actually said "bollox" out loud in church a few weeks back, when the preacher said something that was a: demonstrably incorrect, and b: bigoted. I also did some chest poking at the glad handing bit at the end.
  • It's encouraging to hear you also failed cycling proficiency DG - in fact, when he told me, I immediately thought of you. My Mum thinks we shouldn't let him out on his bike because of it. I'm inclined to disagree. He refuses to wear a helmet but I'm of the opinion they provide limited protection and the health benefits of cycling without a helmet outweigh any level of protection given by wearing one. What are your views DG? The fact that he's 'all over the place' will mean that drivers will need to slow down to a reasonable speed in the village. Boris Johnston cycles in a wobbly manner on purpose, to make cars keep at a safe distance.

He's already in the County Training Orchestra. He goes on a residential music course with them every Easter (and loves it). In September, he's joining the brass band and in his new school he's joining their brass ensemble and concert band. He recently effortlessly got a distinction in his Grade II and he's going to take Grade III at Christmas, but he's going to aim to work a bit harder because he's discovered that if you get very high marks, then you are put forward for a prize within the County. Young Musician of the Year, here we come.

We haven't yet heard about a diagnosis. One should be forthcoming soon - or not as the case may be. The paed said he has definite Aspergers traits but I think she's of the view that he doesn't have full blown Aspergers. We do need to concentrate on the 'traits' though. She says he certainly needs intervention in terms of social skills. The DDA has been on my mind. He has suffered discrimination and the HT should be held accountable. She found my vulnerable spot when I broke down in her office a few weeks ago and she has worked it to her advantage. I've now completely turned my back on the school. I'm no longer interested - but the governors and other parents need to be concerned. Not my problem though.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Am apalled by the HT's behaviour. Encouraging the other kids to ignore Little Mint is criminal! Not only is it damaging for Little Mint, it is also giving the message that it is the accepted way to deal with anyone who is different.

Part of me feels that you should take legal action so that she is stopeed from damaging other kids in the future. The rest of me feels that it might be better for your own mental health to just walk away from the situation.

Don't hold out too much hope regarding the parent survey though - I doubt that the 'right' questions will be asked.

(( )) to you both.
  • LOL about the upside down Peter and Jane books. Little Mint was in trouble a few weeks ago for reading his book upside down.

When he was 9 he had a reading age of 15. It's a tricky one because you can't give a 9 year old, books written for 15 year olds. The HT said she would get him to help the younger children to read. She did it once. That was nearly two years ago. If she thinks that's challenging him, she needs further training.
  • Hi Slugsta

I think I might take legal advice, but I doubt I'll take legal action. I have law qualifications myself and have worked in the legal environment for the past 20 years or so. Often a strongly worded letter from a solicitor is all that is required and having now removed him, she certainly can't do any further damage.

I'm also thinking of telephoning the NSPCC for the sake of protecting other children - which is a duty we all have.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    I agree about the books Minty. Slugboy had a reading age well above his chronological age and we had the same problem. Much of the stuff written for teenagers really isn't suitable for primary kids!
  • Have more to say about this.

However - in the light of some decent weather - I have a pasture to cut, and the shearers have just turned up.

Later.

:-))
  • Did the school do anything to try and challenge him Slugsta?

The classics are good, but Little Mint just isn't interested in them. I think he's been reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer but he said 'it's boring'.

Actually, The Dangerous Book for Boys (which he loves) has a recommended reading list - I might refer back to that.

When Little Mint goes to his new school in September, he'll be in Livingstone house. All the houses are named after explorers and the kids are expected to live up to their namesake. So perhaps he might be motivated to read about Dr Livingstone.
  • I'm in the same position. I must cut my lawn - it hasn't been done for over a month. It's so long I'm not sure the mower will cope. I also need to deal with my bean frame which got knocked down when Little Mint's tent blew into it. Ah yes, and I must fetch Little Mint's tent from next door's garden. She said she woke up and thought she'd got squatters! LOL
  • I can't believe how much better I feel since taking the decision to remove him.

I WILL have the meeting with the Local Authority. I think there are a lot of questions that need answers. They said that 'on the basis of the evidence considered the local authority and diocese assert that the headteacher has acted reasonably'. Errrr what evidence? How can they reach such a conclusion about a supposed complaint (which, by the way, I still haven't made and at the point they reached that conclusion, I had no intention of making)! They talk to me about transparency! Why did she need to involve her union when I hadn't made a complaint? Since receiving their approval she has gone out of her way to make Little Mint and I completely miserable (as if we weren't already).

No, I WILL have the meeting with them but, on the basis that we are so much happier knowing that we'll never step foot in there again, I probably will walk away - as tens of parents before me have also done.

I think, at the very least, we deserve a few apologies. Little Mint deserves to know that it's not okay for people to treat him like that - his self esteem is low enough! For the sake of the other children in that school - and I promise you we're not the only unhappy people - the LA ought to seriously consider an investigation.

Whilst I might decide not to take it any further, since it no longer affects us, I would happily stand up in court and be a witness for any other family that's treated in the way we have been treated.
  • ((((((((((((())))))))))

what a nightmare

• I do feel loads better though. Thanks Hipps.

Little Mint just said to me 'this is a triangle - we've got a three cornered argument here'. How astute is that for an 11 year old?
  • Minty: 'It's a tricky one because you can't give a 9 year old, books written for 15 year olds.'
    Hmm, stuff I liked reading when I was 11 (hit adult test ceilings for reading first time I was tested age 8).
    Classic sci-fi - I remember being particularly keen on Isaac Asimov - it's got robots & spaceships & cool stuff, interesting ideas, & tends towards the hopeful & positive - the bad guys always get beaten. Greg Egan does excellent 'hard' SF which should particularly appeal to the uber-geeky, & tends to make your brain fizz with ideas, but it can be borderline suitable for an 11-yr-old (occasional non-explicit sex scenes but most of the characters are multi-dimensional computational entities not human bodies - probably more confusing than anything). I would *very* much recommend Rosemary Sutcliff (historical fiction / mythology) - very well told, uses complex language & IMO deserves way more recognition than she gets. The characters tend to be quite complicated & depending on little-mint's ASD traits might be a bit hard to follow, so I'd recommend starting with one of the more action-based ones - 'Eagle of the Ninth' wld probably suit & one of the most readily available. Ted Hughes 'The Iron Man' etc was good. Benjamin Zephaniah (but then I would say that... you might find you get a veggie convert). Witi Ihimera, a New Zealand writer, is hard to get hold of in the UK but does some unusual Maori-based children's writing - 'The Whale Rider' is probably easiest to find (also does some fascinating adult books about Maori mythology - might want to read them yourself first though). I also liked religious / mythological stuff - everything from the Old Testament (KJV), Mabinogion, Bhagvad Gita, Ramayana, Mahabharata, Qu'ran, Beowulf (Seamus Heaney's translation was good), Egyptian legends, & all sorts. Often these come in interesting or old-fashioned language which I liked (I spent a month obsessively trying to learn to read Beowulf in the original, & my brother decided to learn Latin & got quite a way - this was when he decided he wanted to be a Knight & insisted on learning archery too. There are many sports which dyspraxics can be good at, but I'm not sure archery is the very best place to start). Of course, there's always Tolkein.
    Dyslexia Institute[url] has lists of books graded by reading age & interest age - but they tend to be more along the lines of low reading age.
    I also really enjoyed 'pop science' type books, & started reading 'New Scientist' & 'Scientific American' magazines regularly when I started secondary school (has proved very useful since to have that background, but probably made me really annoying in science classes - I remember getting very annoyed at the science teacher because she said that there were only 3 states of matter & other such 'Really Stupid Idiotic Dim Wrong Things Which Must Be Put Right', & made secondary-level science akin to Chinese Water Torture). The 'Very Short Introduction' series of books started a bit late for me but suspect they'd have been interesting then too. Try pointing him at [url=
    http://www.badscience.net/]Badscience, and the Ig Nobels - make you think.

Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing that most of this stuff is still similar to what I like reading...
  • Cycling helmets - controversial topic there, & if you post on Tri it will kick up a fight! Saved me from many minor knocks though when I was learning to cycle, & they do make the everyday annoying falling-off bits less painful (along with long sleeves).
    These days I always wear one & sometimes high-vis vest too - especially since my housemate wrote off a Volvo with his head whilst wearing a bike helmet, & after a long and scary while in hospital is now back at uni. Then again I do cycle everywhere at all times & weathers in heavy traffic. I'd always try & sell one along with a bike. Modern helmets are quite comfy & lightweight, & you can get some 'cool' teenage sizes & designs.
    Statistically I think you are right that you are better off in QALYs cycling without a helmet than not at all - but it's not really a comparable risk as one is 'lumpy' (very few people will loose many years of life) & the other is a population effect (on average many people will live a bit longer & fitter) so you have to weight them yourself.

[drat - sorry to have mucked up the link]