Options

Good for age 2008

Hi - I've just sent off my stuff for a Good for age application form for 2008 - has anyone already done this? How long did you have to wait to get the application form? I just thought it might be good to get some sort of idea before I start worrying that I've somehow got the criteria wrong ...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    From memory it took a few weeks last year, maybe? Not ages, but not back the next day, anyway! Sorry, not very helpful...
  • Options
    Thanks Jools - guess I need to be patient for a while then!
  • Options
    Sarah, let us know how you get on, I was wondering about that. Also, I got my 2nd GFA at FLM this year, would that mean I'd automatically get sent something or would I still need to apply?
  • Options
    LL no you have to apply ..a friend of mine made the mistake thinking she would get something first...she didnt and missed out on her place..you have to write a letter with proof of time and age ! before mid october I think !!
  • Options
    LL / NN - that's what I've just done - sent off a letter with proof of age / qualifying time to get the application form, so I'll let you know when I hear something back. I'm sure a bit unsure about it all as it's the first year I've applied for a GFA place - it would be good to hear if anyone's already got their application form.
  • Options
    Good luck..I am a minute out !!3.46.10 ...BUGGER.. but have a deferred place to use this year !!YAY !!! would have been nice to start on the green start though !
  • Options
    Thanks NN/sb. NN, what a bugger!
  • Options
    NN - how annoying! Was that at this year's FLM? It was so hot I think lots of people missed their targets (my OH missed out on a champ. start time by 2 mins and was a bit gutted).
  • Options
    Hi - i sent off my details last Monday 4th . Not heard anything yet.
    Will let you all know as soon as I've got anything back.
  • Options
    Sorry pardon my ignorance but what does the Good For Age application allow you to do? Do you automatically get a place in the flm, providing you send off your stuff, or do you still need a place in draw etc?
  • Options
    My time was from last year..my first marathon..the weather was perfect that day..

Dan...it means you get to start on the green start ...less congested ...no you dont go through a ballot, just make sure you have written to them by early October with proof of time and age .
  • Options
    Sent my letter off in the post today....
  • Options
    I sent a letter with my details a couple of months ago and haven't heard anything, just starting to feel that it may have gone astray.

Does anyone have an e-mail contact for the FLM organizers?
  • Options
    No Paul - I look for E mail details as well but could only find a phone number.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Paul,

If you sent stuff a couple of months ago (i.e. around the time of the 2007 race) that might have been before entries opened for 2008. Maybe re-send the stuff?
  • Options
    May have to Jools, but the website did say they were accepting GFA entries for FLM 08 when I sent it. Some sort of courtesy of an acknowledgement would be nice.
  • Options
    Paul - I remember seeing the same thing back in April. Let us know how you get on if you manage to contact them.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Paul - fair point; even a 'sod off, you're too early'! Sure it'll work out in the end, but it is all a bit stressful. I need to sort out my first champs entry after two years of GFA but need my affiliation number before I can send that off.
  • Options
    Rang them today and v helpful. They have only just started going through the GFA applications and entry forms will be sent out at the end of July apparently.

Good luck with the championship entry Jools
    <wanders off to dream of an elite start>
  • Options
    Brilliant Paul - thanks for that! It means I won't sit on the doormat waiting for the postman quite yet.

• Options
    yep - great at least we know now. my doormat was under surveillance too!! thanks
  • Options
    No problems, the other obvious advice was to ring back at the end of July if nothing had arrived.
  • Options
    Slight panic as i didnt send my details in by recorded delivery as is now suggested on the web site. Will wait for end july if nothing arrives i'll give them a phone. just in case my details never got there.
    Anybody received anything yet?
  • Options
    Not a dickie bird. Surely they can't all have got lost in the post? Maybe they send out the necessary in one big block. Anyone applied before and know the score?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    They send the GFA entry forms out when they have received most of the applications. I didn't receive mine for FLM 2007 until early September last year, so don't hold your breath just yet!
  • Options
    AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭
    I haven't done anything yet, as I didn't realise you could apply so early. I am totally ignorant of the FLM set up but desperate to do it now I have a GFA time.

What exactly do I send (will a copy of results off the internet do??), and who to (Is the address on their website?), and how soon do I need to get it in?? (Going on holiday imminently - can it wait till August??)

Also, (confesses great ignorance...), what is the Green Start, and is that where I'll be as I have GFA time??
    And if so, what hotel would you nice people who know what you're doing, recommend?

(Oooo....I'm already getting excited!!!!)
  • Options
    Wardi - thanks - that's useful to know!

RB - follow this link http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/entry_info/index.php?page=7 and it should tell you what you need to know. This will be my first FLM so no experience of travel/hotels etc but I think you're right about the Green start - I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you.
  • Options
    Hi RB, some people may disagree, but I'd rather book an organised coach trip for FLM, they take you to registration, the start, and some pick you up at the end and take you back to the hotel. Our hotel was in walking distance of the finish, which was brilliant. All the way down the road I had people seeing me with my medal on and congratulating me, it was fab!

There was a travel company in Caldicot running a trip which all Chepstow Harriers used, so I got on that one. There are a few different firms that advertise in RW mag nearer the time, Matt Graham travel spring to mind.

Yep, we'll be on the green start with our GFA's, last year I was on the blue start. I'm led to believe ours will be slightly less conjested, if there's such a thing at London!
  • Options
    AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭
    Sarah & LL, thanks for that info.
    An organised coach trip sounds like a good option. (Just need to work out what to do with husband and four offspring!!! Leave them at home in front of TV?)
  • Options
    RB - I will have 3 offspring by then (no.3 about to be born imminently) and husband who will also be running, so I have also started to worry about childcare!