Good for age 2008

Comments

• Hmm - I have to actually start running again after just having had a baby! Hopefully I'm not being too optimistic in thinking I'll do the marathon next year.

• Thanks for that info wardi
  • A quick question: is a page of marathon results printed off the internet, with my name highlighted, going to be sufficient proof of my GFA time for FLM??  (I didn't bother getting my results sent to me personally as I knew they'd be on the net anyway, and have now started panicking very mildly that I needed them for FLM).
    Thanks!!!image

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

That will probably be enough RB.  It might also be worth sending a photocopy of your birth certificate or passport photo page just to be on the safe side.

SB.. my girlie clubmate took 2-3 months post birth to gradually lose the surplus weight.  Another month or two to get back to pre-pudding club fitness levels.  She ended up with a PB of 3:14.  I think you should be ok, it is the time to train that will be a problem I presume.

• Thanks, Wardi!!  I was planning on sending in passport photocopy, though not entirely sure why they need it for the 18-50 age category.

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Wardi - I'm starting in November. By that time I should have got most of the decorating that Mrs Podro wants done. My race strategy will include lining up behind you at the start because whenever I start a race in front of you, you seem to beat me!

• Sent my Good for Age letter off 3 weeks ago by RoyalMailimageigned for delivery. But ended up having to phone FLM to make sure they received my letter, as royal mail still can't confirm delivery of the letter.

For my letter I printed out last year's FLM result from the website and then photcopied it with my driving licence, so that my result and proof of age are on one page. Don't now when we'll receive our guaranteed entry forms - end of September?

• I got my GFA qualifying time last Sunday (2nd Sept) and posted my letter on Tuesday and was expecting something back by this morning, wishful thinking by the sounds of it.

Last time I entered the ballot (2006) I changed my mind about doing it and hoped I would be rejected but sod's law I got in and thought what the heck let's do it anyway, but then got injured so had to defer.  2007 got injured again and couldn't defer again so gave up on the idea of ever doing FLM.  

Ran Wolverhampton in 2:55:55 and was all set to retire from marathons now I'd broken 3 hours.  But I thought I'd give FLM one more go, but I bet sod's law intervenes and my letter's gone missing and I miss out.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Marshallini.. they tend to wait for most of the GFA letters to gradually arrive then send the entry forms out in the space of a few days - usually late Sept.  So don't worry about it - and well done on a cracking time! 

You can always ring the helpline to make sure that your letter has arrived - I found them very willing to help.

• Thanks Wardi,  I'll give it a few more days then phone to see if they got it.

I'm in the 18-40 cat and ran a sub 3 so there is no reason for me to include my date of birth either, I did scan and send a copy of my passport but deleted various things from it that weren't relevant, so I'm hoping that doesnt cause a problem.

• Marshallini - Not a problem as last year I didn't send any proof of age or time, just let them know my number in FLM 06 and that was fine.
  • My GFA entry form has just arrived image)
  • Brill -cant wait to get home to see if mines there....good luck folksimage
  • Nothing for me yet image

Still, I'm sure they'll be sending them out in waves, else Royal Mail wouldn't cope! image

• Boo - nothing for me yet unless it's masquerading as a mobile phone statement.

Paul - you sent your letter off ages ago, didn't you? I guess it could be in order of receipt - or maybe surname (if your surname really begins with A !).  Will be interesting to see whether mine or mrbob's arrives first as he sent his off after me, but his surname is closer to the beginning of the alphabet than mine! Just hope it's soon.

• PS Thanks for letting us know though Paul!
  • No nothing here either. How much did you bribe them with paul?!!
  • Maybe they're sent out alphabetically? My surname begins with 'M'
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I think they were sent out alphabetically last year.  Being a 'W' I had to wait quite a few days as I remember.
  • I'm glad I popped in now.

My wife dropped a bit of a bombshell that I might not be allowed to run FLM08 because it falls in the school holidays and she fancies spending a lot of money going to the Far East for 2 weeks. Right then. My powers of negotiation will need to be at their peak.

Runnerbean: please be careful when trying to assist in persuading her...

Marshallini: A great result at Wolvehampton.

Personally, I make sure that they get a copy of anything that they could possibly want. Printed result off the internet, copy Birth Certificate, nice letter. If I'd run my qualifying time in Bratislava, Llangoverningyoufromthe valleys, or Luton I might be tempted to get a copy of the official certificate that verified the course length. Or a reference number. In reality, we just have to do what they tell us to do.

Patiently wait.

• Don't worry about the forms not arriving yet guys and gals

Last year I got my GFA time just one week before the deadline - applied for the entry form and got it returned in time for a place all in the space of 5 working days.

All that just to go 15 seconds faster in London!

• Blisters

Don't worry about missing FLM, you won't be able to afford the Far East holiday once you've purchased our cruise tickets...

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Blisters.. tell her you have a wager with me for FLM 2008.  If you win you could take her for 4 weeks.  Otherwise just try to convince her that on the weekend of 13th April the far east is infact the Isle Of Dogs.    image  
  • I am really an A surname so if it is alphabetical then that would certainly explain if. Handwritten envelope too which I thought was unusual, no wonder it takes them so long to get them sorted.
  • Blisters, oh dear.........discretion is my (new) middle name!
  • Have just got my FLM training off to a good start by entering the Bath Half!! image
  • Did I mention my GFA entry arrived....................?
  • Excellent Paul. Wish my surname was 'Abacus'!!! or something similar!!
  • Yippeee!! Mine's just come image - and I did my first post-baby run last night ( a gentle 25min run walk - so a looong way to go before April) so I'm all excited now!

Hope other people are getting exciting post today too ...

• Yessssss!!  Mine has just arrived, and my surname begins with 'L' and I only sent the stuff off last week!!!!  I think the last time I was this excited, I was about 6.....

Well done on your first post-baby run, Sarahbob: I imagine that's quite a landmark!