Beaver

Comments

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Who else is doing it? What about Holly and JD??
  • JD's not doing it, dont know about Hollywood?

Thin vixim and Sweetie are racing to, spose its their forward prep for Nice :o)

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I meant Holly-Go not Hollywood. Is she doing it?
  • Oh yes Holly is doing it.

Ah ive just remembered, need to pack the super soaker.
  • looking at the forecast you wont need it!
  • [edit] Modifications
    While the average consumer may find off-the-shelf Super Soakers adequate, some Super Soaker enthusiasts choose to modify their soakers for increased range and output.

K-modding: The K-mod is a modification restricted to CPS-class soakers with spherical pressure chambers. It can yield significant output increases. A prime example is a K-mod performed on a Super Soaker CPS 2100.[1] The process involves stretching many (usually between 50-90) balloons around the pressure chamber to allow for more pressurization to take place. The drawback, however, is that thickening the pressure chamber reduces available room for expansion, decreasing the duration of shots.[2]

While K-modding only works with spherical pressure chambers, there is a similar modification that may be performed upon CPS Soakers with cylindrical pressure chambers called Colossus. This modification involves sliding a bike inner tube or latex rubber tubing around the pressure chamber.[3]

Pressure Release Valve Disabling: This modification, initially and incorrectly identified as check valve freezing, is very common and allows for greater power. Stock water guns contain a pressure relief valve between the reservoir and pump tube. The valve regulates the amount of pressure generated inside the pressure chamber by venting air or water once a certain pressure threshold has been reached. By removing this valve and sealing the resulting gap, a greater level of pressure is attainable, thus increasing the water output.

This modification, while optional in soakers which have not been K-modded, is often a necessity for K-modded soakers; the thicker pressure chamber may require more pressure than the relief valve would allow. Removing the relief valve is in fact removing a safety feature, increasing the chances of malfunction and damage in the toy by allowing too much pressure to build up, so discretion should be taken with regard to the number of times the soaker is pumped and how much force is required for the pump to fully retract. It is far more likely that a weak part of one's water gun will crack and spray water from the crack in a worst case scenario.[4]

This modification is better known as check valve freezing, involving incorrect terminology. What was originally referred to as a check valve has now been identified as a pressure release valve; and the term freezing is irrelevant.

Nozzle drilling: A common modification which involves using a drill to enlarge nozzle orifices. With a larger nozzle orifice, higher water output is obtained. However, drilling a nozzle too large will reduce range. Nozzles' orifice size can be also reduced by filling in the orifice with epoxy, waiting for the epoxy to dry, and then redrilling a smaller nozzle. Threaded, removeable nozzles have also been attempted, allowing for a multitude of nozzles orifice sizes on a single Super Soaker.[5]

Reservoir expansion: This modification increases the total volume of water available to the user of the water gun. Commonly, the reservoir is expanded by means of a backpack containing water, constructed with bottles or plastic pipe,[6] but there are numerous methods to increase reservoir capacity not limited to a backpack.[7]

Flamethrowing: This modification changes the watergun to shoot fire instead. First, a small blowtorch or a piece of cloth is attached to the gun, positioned so that a flame contacts the stream. The tank is then filled with a flammable liquid that is not corrosive to the gun (the latter part is very important). The homemade flamethrower is then ready to fire. This modification is compatible with all above mods, although a large nozzle is not recommended.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Hope it goes well guys!
  • Flamethrowing: This modification changes the watergun to shoot fire instead. First, a small blowtorch or a piece of cloth is attached to the gun, positioned so that a flame contacts the stream. The tank is then filled with a flammable liquid that is not corrosive to the gun (the latter part is very important). The homemade flamethrower is then ready to fire. This modification is compatible with all above mods, although a large nozzle is not recommended.
  • after pembroke last year pirate shorts are a no no.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Have they finished yet?
  • hmph, just cos you've been fast-tracked to forum sainthood for not DNF'ing one race!
  • roflol.

surely someone finished?!
  • lol

grey shandy drinker
  • Big girly poofter, don't you ever have the cheek to call me 'soft' again.

Holly finished despite having a less than perfect day or run up to it.

'she' soldiered on despite the problems and finished unlike some peopl I could mention!!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Forum sainthood - that's a good one! lol!

How did Holly get on?

Mind you at least Oxy started, unlike that lazy couch potato JD... ;-)
  • do you not read previous posts woman?
  • of course she doesnt

she's old
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Smiffy I hardly think that 'Holly finished despite having a less than perfect day or run up to it' constitutes a proper race report! I want detail because I'm a caring person.

And I might be old, but I can read. ;-)
  • does you PC not have a Scottish/English translation facility

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    lol!

clearly there is a detailed post somewhere about Holly's race that I can't see because I'm on the wrong side of the border.

could you email it to me?
  • There isn't yet...here it is

After Bala I really needed to finish this. Especially after Smiffy texted erlier in the week with ‘Only 3 days to go to prove you’re not a quitter’. Two DNFs in a row was not going to be a possibility.

But the lead up didn't go as planned. One thing I know is doing a tri when you've suffered a stomach bug for a few days before is not a good idea.

Stomach cramps. Couldn’t go aero on the bike or run due to the desperate need to shit...and a puncture didn't make my day easy. I considered the tri gods were conspiring against me, willing me to take up championship darts instead.

Best swim (if a little vicious) I've done, though I think the course was short. 1900m in 36.5 mins out the water.

The bike was going well, got up the big climb easily then heard a 'clunk, clunk', - rear tyre was flat. Got off, changed it in ultra quick time, then found out my new pump is a pile of shit. Then oxy, my night in yellow lycra showed up, tried to pump the tyre up but couldn't. 'Ah, I've got some CO2' says he. 'Ah, no I haven't. I left it at the airport in lanza'. Then a lovely red Ka turned up and JD had some CO2. My saviour!
    All in all, 20 mins to change.

From the third lap of the bike I had constant cramps. Going aero made my stomach made it feel like I was going to explode. So I pretty much stayed upright from the on.

Off the bike (shocking time but I have it on good authority it was a tricky course and people were at least 20 mins slower than they were at Bala). 20K run/walk. Running caused stabbing pains across the top of my stomach making me grimace, grit my teeth and mostly bawl my eyes out. I was managing a lap (just over 4 miles) in just over 50 mins which wasn't bad at my fast walking pace and a few little runs.

By the third lap I was really struggling (apologies to the supporters - I did appreciate you being there, even if my teary face didn't show it). One marshall confirmed that I was last as she cleared up her stuff, walked beside me, and jagoled me into running. Thankyou. You were great! She ran/walked with me all the way to the end, getting all the finished competitors along the way to cheer for me. It really lifted my spirits (and also made me cry again) as I realised I would make cut off.

And I did.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Aww, sounds like you had a tough time. Well done. Nice will be easy after that!

• Sweetie2Sweetie2 ✭✭✭
    Holly, that was a proper gutsy show earlier (no pun intended!). Double bad luck too with a 20 minute puncture outage, that would mess up anyone's race.

Thanks again to JD, Claire (sp?) and Mr B for supporting. And well done to everyone who raced. Except Oxy of course - and you were calling me a ponce! ;-)