Tri training made mes LESS fit???

Comments

• concurrently could be interesting
  • it's not the typos you should worry about it's the fact you can type so many words and not say anything!

are you an MP by any chance?
  • OK Andrew,

So, for your benefit, a synopsis of the points made in the above post (paragraph by numbered paragraph:

1. Even at the highest level there is divided opinion over whether one should train excusively for a single sport or whether cross training will be of more benefit. (In the interests of context.)

2. & 3. Swim training has the least benefit to(and most potential to reduce performance on) the other disciplines of tri. (Based on muscle bulk, relative proportion of most tri races, and pure level of aerobic requirement.)

4.(& later 7. and the lines down to last but one) An athletes fitness level at the onset of commencing multisport training will have bearing on how it effects them in individual disciplines. (Based on their capacity for cardiovascular improvement, and existing core strength.)

5.&6. Increasing the variety of disciplines in training may increase volume which may in turn lead to overtraining and tiredness particularly if not introduced gradually.

Last line: Speaks for itself really, and whilst I acknowledge opinions may differ I hope that you will at least acknowledge that there were a number of points in my post which I have now spelled out to you - perhaps in a style more suited to you?

Let me know Andrew, I look forward to your comment.
  • I agree with the tiredness thing. It's getting better now but I got myself into a bit of a pickle a few weeks ago as got very tired indeed and couldn't understand why! Now I back off a bit better when I need to.

Thanks for input over food. I'll try and refuel more directly after the bike then. At the mo I don't as I don't feel hungry. But maybe that's why I get so starving later on, well usually the next day actually.

And I never eat whilst out on the bike or drink that energy stuff. But I only bike for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Should I really be eating on the bike for that duration? I would have thought that this would be necessary for the longer bikes but not for the length of mine? It's not that I deliberately don't, it's just something I had not considered before as being necessary.

• 2 1/2 to 3 hours YES you should be fueling on the bike and refueling directly afterwards.

You wouldn't plan a 3 hour run without refueling so why a bike ride?

All you're doing is running your stores to zero and wondering why you're tired afterwards and over-eating to make up for a huge glycogen deficit. But you're taking on the calories you need at the wrong time and therefore the whole process is less efficient.

This is pretty school-boy stuff, I don't understand why people think their bodies suddenly work differently on the bike to running on the road. The only difference is the impact on the body.

Run at HR 140 for 3 hrs or cycle at HR 140 for 3 hrs, you'll still need to eat.
  • Mrs F&F, I'm not much of an expert either, but for what its worth, I've been running for 3 years and Tri-ing since January - am definitely fitter than i've ever been before and am running quicker with less effort - put this down to attending regular coached track sessions and doing all my runs against HRM - even tho this means running slower than I was used to. My race pace has improved considerably.

And the refuelling thing - on long bike rides I try to eat every half hour - whether I feel hungry or not. In my world, if you feel hungry or thirsty you've left it too late.

Also, I am definitely sleeping more - but that makes sense - I'm training 7 days a week as opposed to 4ish - I'm bound to be more tired. Took me a while to figure that, but once I realised that a little 40 winks was doing me good, I'm thriving on it!

Good luck Mrs F&F - persevere, you will love it. Oh - and as an added benefit, I was comparing two photos of me running last night taken a year apart - I think I'm more streamlined now!! :o)
  • TC - thank you again! It's not that I think that my body suddenly works differently but as I said something that I had not considered before as I'm fairly new to all of this. It might be school boy stuff for you but

1) I am not a boy. :0)

2) I'm learning as I go along.

3) To help you understand what you say you don't understand about people, the whole reason I [personally came into biking was due to injury, so I went out and just tried to maintain fitness as best as I could at that time. But then I found I really enjoyed the biking so I have carried on with it but not considered the fuelling aspect. Which is why I was asking in the first place as have found I'm putting on weight and was not sure how to get the fuelling right.

These forums are great for picking up information. I now understand much better, so will eat on the bike and will refuel straight away after too. Hopefully this will help with feeling tired then too.

Now that you've pointed it out for me it makes complete sense. :0)

• Just to prove that there are plenty of ways to peel an onion (or whatever the phrase is)... on TC's comment about "You wouldn't plan a 3 hour run without refueling" - I've tried this a couple of times when marathon training, and I've read that it can be a good thing - e.g. McMillan running says "Finally, (and this is optional) a great way to ensure that you will deplete your carbohydrate stores on these long, steady runs is to not eat any carbohydrates immediately before or during the run."

I do have to admit it's not been much fun when I've tried it though!
  • SS - no problem, I've followed yours and many others journeys so have a pretty good idea where you're coming from.

Have a read about refueling after training and invest in a decent recovery drink such as high 5 or rego or my fav from http://www.myprotien.co.uk where you can bulk buy it, add your own flavouring etc. Top tip, it's worth paying the extra 50p for the tub over the bags. Makes things a lot less messy!
    Good luck
    TC
  • Hollywood,

I've ever respect for the guy but I don't buy it....Where's Smiffy on this?....I'm sure he discussed this a few years back.
  • AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to deplete all your Glycogen stores? Is it just so you can experience feeling pants?
  • The "theory" is that you become more efficient at burning fat as you have no carb stores to draw energy from. i.e. you've no choice to use fat or protein as fuel.

I'd argue that training at the correct intensities is a far safer bet and would be more conducive to a person training nearly every day.

The old "fat burning in a fire of carbohydrates" mentality.

I personally wouldn't push it over 2 hours without fueling as it just wipes you out.
  • Avalaf - I think so - on the website he says "My current thinking is that it simply is a way to get quicker and deeper fatigue during certain runs which enhances the physical adaptations from that run as well as exposure to the mental 'feelings' that accompany this fatigue so that during the event, the athlete can tolerate fatigue better."

Important note - McM definitely doesn't recommend doing all the runs this way, and I've only ever done a few like that (and I've done none this year, although a few of my bike rides have accidentally gone a little this way!)
  • Its not something I do and as TC says I think the benefit of training with the correct fueling is equal to or outweighs the claimed benefits of training your body to use fats?

Id imagine there is some benefit to learning what it feels like to be under fueled, so that in a race you can either recorgnise the symtoms or should you have a fueling problem your more mentally prepared to manage and adapt.

Getting fueling correct is quite a fine balance and ive learnt the hard way from bonking a couple of times. I do think this experience was invaluable.

• i guess i'm just lucky; i have no problems getting quick and deep fatigue!

saying that, i do think people can get carried away with nutrition sometimes - like, i really don't think powerbars and other solids are required during a 1.5hour bike.
  • I'd only take squash for a 1.5 hr cycle unless I was training the same day.

I agree that you can get too hung up on nutrition i.e. 23.5656% this and 45.86543% that @ 23 grams per kg etc.

But the general principles apply.
  • well, i wasn't so much thinking of the 2.20987367% bunch, but there are occasionally people who bemoan that they aren't losing weight, but seem to be eating virtually a day's worth of meals on each ride. of 45 minutes. at 10kph. which, even in a completely non-nutritionally sound way doesn't quite make sense!

(SS, that's not a gripe at you).
  • anyway, my ambition is to become one of the grizzled old men i see on audax rides who can do 600k on half a bottle of orange squash.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Ergo I hate to tell you but even with the advances of modern medicine and science you're unlikely to ever become a grizzled old man.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    grizzled young man??

eating virtually a day's worth of meals on each ride. of 45 minutes

at Windsor there was a guy close to me putting a bar bag together with 2 bars and 2 gels - and he already had 2 fuel bottles in his cages.........I asked him if he was going to have a picnic en route..........

ffs - all that for 42km ride?? Ok - high intensity but even so...........you could do an IM ride on that lot
  • debbo how come you are not iron wifey anymore?
    decided about the w/e yet?
  • if it's that high intensity you shouldn't be able to get bars down you without chundering.
  • I'd advise NOT to have a large bit of cake jsut before a big hill
  • Especially if it's in a village named Steep?

(Come on son the clue was in the title!!!)

As you were.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    JB - too much confusion with the other (and original) IW. Yes, sorry - probably not doing the sunday ride - it's too long and too hard and I should be tapering. I'll email you though.
  • ergo - it's ok I didn't think you were! I was not eating at all on the bike so am the other way round!

TC - which also stands for Top Cat (I loved that cartoon) - thanks for link. Will have a good look. :0)

Ok one last little insy winsy question then I'll leave you all in peace (just for a little while mind!).

On the bike - food? I have the energy bars which I like. Every half hour then? What one bite or something? Sorry but I really don't know! I don;t need techy answer but just a rough idea. I mean I could eat half the bar or the whole bar but think that's prob a bit much and they are quite chewy!

Debbo!! You're back again. Wondered where you'd got to. This really weird woman called IronWifey appeared with your picture. Now get ass back on training - I miss you and feel all lonely <gives debbo the sad puppy eye look and wags tail hopefully>
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    SS - experiment to see what works for you - we're all different.......

I tend to do a 1/3rd of a bar at a time if that helps but that's just me
  • i either do 1 block of jelly per hour, 1/2 at a time or 1 swig of diluted gel gunk mixture every 20 minutes or 5 miles depending on pace.
  • SS - Little and often, but as FB says - each to their own.
    Personally , if I reach the point that feel the need for either an entire bar, or to drink an entire bottle, then I've probably left it too late.