Can I Still Run a PB?

13»

Comments

• Yay

Well done Mike Fab always worth remembering

•  well done mike

I have just run a 10 k in  39.45.

I am 51 and its took me over 2 years since coming back to racing and been really hard .

still not as fast as i was 20 years ago though 

• My real target was to go under 40min but I was 2min outside this. I was training 5-6 times per week at altitude for 4 months. I can't see that I'll ever beat 40min now, but I guess a pb isn't a bad result.

Out of interest, anyone know any rule of thumb for how times change with age? All other things being equal, how many minutes slower would you be for every 10 years older (say from age 30 to age 40)?
  • my best 10 k was 36

so over 20 years i have only lost just over 3 mins

I still reckon i could maybe run a bit quicker than today with better training

keep up the good work mike 

• Sorry if I'm repeating what others have already said,but a lot depends on when you set your PB's.

If you raced seriously in your teens/early 20's-forget it ! No matter how hard you train,you'll never match the sort of times (especially over distances up to 10k) that seemed effortless in those days.

However,if you're starting to take it seriously at 38,you can look forward to at least 5-7 years of real PB potential,but-at least in my experience- you do need to put 10% more in,to get 5% more out,for every  year past 45 or so.

Having said that,we're all different !

• I started running at 38 and my pb for a half marathon is 01:50. I'm 49 now and sincerely think and hope that if I do the required training and lose about 20 lbs I can beat that record. Watch this space!
  • Well done Mike and you too Eddie.

Every time I set a pb I think that surely this time it represents the top of the metaphorical hill. And then there's the year in which I was the nearly man and the nowhere near man in every race from March onwards. But after reviewing my training and my hunger for success I hit pbs in almost all distances in 2007, then in 2008 added a couple of real cherries.

I'm ordinary. Very ordinary.
    But my pbs are now:

30:02 for 5m (age 46)
    37:50 for 10k (age 46)
    and marathon twice sub 3 this year 2008 (age 46, 47)

It can be done, and you can do even more than you think is possible.

• I ran 2 PBs this year at age 41 - so the answer is a yes from me.
  • Having only started running for running sake rather than an aid to general fitness for other sports a few years ago, at age 55 I still find I am getting the odd PB through the year.  All helped if I take the training more seriously which must prove that doing the right things at the right time are a major factor.  The last marathon I ran, FLM 2008 was 3.33 but determined to get below that level next time, and I think training will do it even if its a couple of years away before I run one.
  • Hi everyone

i descovered this sport 6 years ego. i'm 47 and i train every week with my runner mates. i finished my 1th 10k on 52 mins and now my PB on 10k is 42 mins.  I enjoy running with my friends and we planning the future contests to, and there are good runners with excellent performances. I think that i pratic this sport not only for my PB (10k,HM,M) but to feel well , to enjoy my spare time and respect my limits  .

good run