Chesterfield Spire 10

2»

Comments

• I'm sending my sister and her partner instead Suzy.

Any chance you can feed them ??image

Sister isn't running (her partner is) but you should spot her at the park area. She has her arm in a sling, various grazes and bruises plus she will tell absolutely everyone how she was forced of her bike.

It isn't funny image I tell you.

• Good luck everyone.   I am entering today and its first time for this race.  Hills start sound tough but when we get to Fox and Goose we can look forward to an easier second half.....apparently !!
  • Well, how did everyone find this one?  Lots of climbs before halfway and Pudding Pie Hill, the one after the Gate Inn, I found pretty tough what with the strong head wind to go with it.   Downhill stretches were "rewarding".   My time was better than the Burton 10 by about a minute, so was pleased with that.
  • Found this har work for the first half and then found I had run out of steam on the second half. Well orgnaised with supportive marshals. My first long sleeved t shirt with the course topography on.

KJO good to meet you. Thanks for you encouragement at the top of that hill. Had to stop a few times jsut to regain my composure. Great scenery. I will post a link to the Lakeland thread. See you at the GNR and also the "Steamy Surprise" at Ulswater.

• Well done race organisers and marshalls in making this another successful race.  Excellent water stations where we needed them the most !  After the finiish I may have sounded a bit cheeky when I asked the lady on the drinks counter,"Is that cranberry juice in those cartons?"  No, she said, afraid we can't run to that luxury too!  Actually it was blackcurrant juice....just as nice. 

Thanks to all involved.

• Chris,

Yeh, the long-sleeved shirts with the hills profile were impressive I thought so too.

• Impey

If you like Carnberry Juice run the Grimsthorpe 1okms race in South Lincs on August Bank Holiday Monday it is sponsored by Ocean Spary and alll finishers get a T shirt and box of Cranberry Juice 

• my ankles are killing me, I beat Mr Phil Lewis in the great Morecambe FC race image

Roll on the GNR!!

PS good tshirts from the race!

• Great race!! The first 5 miles were tough, but I agree -  the down hills were rewarding !! Was really pleased with my run, I thankfully held back enough on the hills to speed up in the second half of the race.  The last hill at 8.5/9 miles got me though - my brain was so addled that I turned left into the first aid bit instead of left into the finish, and had to run out and round again!

Thought the marshals were excellent -- really kept me feeling positive.

Christopher -- good to meet you too! Glad to be of help at the top of that horrid hill! Thanks for the link -- I'll have a good look today.  See you at the next one! 

Pete - yep, roll on GNR!

• Hi all,

good race and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I was a bit surprised by how long and steep those hills seemed, I do a lot of running in the peaks (thank heavans) but was still caught out a little.

Also forgot energy gels which was a mistake, as I was putting in a fair bit more that my hard training runs, and I'm useless at trying to drink from cups on the run - more of a prat fall than hydration!

Still managed to get in just better than my target (1:15), so was very pleased, as it proved a great work out in preparation for the Amsterdam Marathon in October.

Well done to the organisers, this was one of the simplest races I've been logistaically, and nice support on the course.

Special mention to the showers, I thought I was in Bermuda!

Jase

• Anyone know when the results will be posted on the web?
  • They're on there now -- I just checked them
  • KJO

Thanks for that. One of my slowest 10 milers. Got another one in Lincolnshire Wolds next week also very hilly. At least it will prepare me for the GNR. 

• A good race thanks. Nice bit of fun. Now if you could turn the wind

generators off or turn them around to blow runners up the hill

it would be even more fun!

Seriously though, I asked at the start if there was a course profile

available with the map before the race, sadly not. The joke was,

it was on the t shirt afterwards! Somehow I'd already experienced it by then!

I saw the profile on the web site, but couldn't download it for some reason.

Also the profile would be better with miles marked instead of k's. (After all

it is a 10 mile race.

• Great event well organised. Will definately be doing it next year. A big thanks to Eddie LEE from Chesterfield AC who helped me with the pacing on the last few miles. Managed 1.08.20 thanks to you Eddie !!

Legs feeling ok, little tight on quads from the downhills but overall well pleased. Great Yorkshire Run next week . . .

• Christopher - I guarantee the GNR does not include hills like Sunday's!! Good luck with the race at the weekend
  • KJO

Will be using the next few races as long slow training runs. Have you had a look at teh Lakeland Thread ? I have put a welcoming note on there.