Sunday 24th June

WaboWabo ✭✭✭
Im so lonesome for you its a crime

Dreading getting up in the morning, may have really messed up my back by shifting furniture around. Why do I do stupid things and think I am wonder woman!!!
possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I knew yesterday's lyrics, very special tune to me
    what: supposed to do 7 mile run with club mate in the morning
    why: I really wanted to
    last hard: the flipping heavy table that I shoved about
    last easy: ?

Hubby away all weekend and I thought I would change the back room round. 1st post of the day from me is very rare, but I keep waking up and still back hurts like mad, taking pain killers. Back to bed now and I am hoping it will let me run in the morning!
  • what: Wellington 10k which went *very well indeed*.

initially i wasn't very hopeful when i saw the weather - its blowing 40kph and gusting up to 70kph along the waterfront. but i decided to take it as it comes.

1st 5k - 25.30
    2nd 5k - 26.27
    10k - 51.57

i think the entire difference in the two halves was wind related. i didn't feel as though i was tiring particularly but the last 2k was totally unsheltered and straight into a headwind.

so although not quite a pb (27 seconds to find) that is the fastest 10k i've managed since 2004 and i'm a very happy girlie :)
  • Well done M! I for one know how windy it gets in Wellington!

What: 11 miles on my own - not that great - trying to run easy - left knee a bit sore. Nice young runner came whizzing past me and said "just going for a cruise are you?" I thought more like a "plod".
  • Morning all

What: Llanelli 10k
    Why: Want a pb at this distance this year
    Last hard: ages ago
    Last rest: Monday

Wabo - take it easy. Look after that back

M - well done

NZC - youngsters these days!! the cheek!

Have a good one all
  • Morning,

Hilly, BR & FL - well run

Wabo - ouch, do take care

What: a 13Km leg of the Cleveland Way relay race
    Why: It's an annual club thing

Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: 9 days

We had several torrential downpours yesterday. The route is going to be very muddy with big pools of water. Not the sort of conditions that one expects to encounter in flamming June!!

Racers run well.
  • morning,

got back last night from very enjoyable happy wedding, v tired but had a good night's sleep now and ready to get going again.
    tried a little catch -up over breakfast but you lot have been quite busy and had some horrible things to contend with haven't you!

so disappointed for DD and amazed how well you're dealing with it, get well soon

magnificent report from trini - really, really enjoyed that trini; thank you so much for taking the trouble to share so much of the detail we could really get to feel the atmosphere. like NN said, it's a shame we can't get tv coverage

hope TMR gets right to, nasty bit of infection to deal with

M - great work in your 10k in decidedly less than great conditions. you're making great progress and must be very satisfied with best time in 3 years

take care wabo - too much 24 hour partying?

good luck in llanelli nutty and on the cleveland way sodahead. not sure who else is racing today?

just getting ready for the off - in a fit of enthusiasm and defiance against missing yesterday's race i entered the BMAF 5k road champs so feeling a bit jittery now ;-(

what - BMAF 5k road champs at horwich
    why - hmm
    last hard - 4 days
    last rest - yesterday
  • Morning,

What: Smannell 10k race
    Why: My second attempt at this distance - odds are fairly good for a PB!
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: yesterday

Lyrics: I know these today an' all.
  • Forgot to congratulate M on her 10K effort and Imski - you look like a bit of a fast twitch animal to me, well done at the track yesterday.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    tee hee clink, not enough I'd say!
    well done m!!
    will read back later, back quite sore this morning, felt easier when I 1st got up but as I move around it hurts. I am just like my Mum, we are strong but we think we are invincible!! No more moving furniture for me, especially when I have a 6'1" 19 yr old son!!
  • what - 10 mile LSR (supposedly - still not sleeping well so feeling somewhat jaded)
    why - if I don't do it today it means two long runs midweek
    last hard - Thursday
    last rest - last Monday

Wabo, take it easy with that back. Look after yourself.

M. congrats again!!!

Good luck to everyone racing today.
  • what - 8 miles
    why - offset effects of large sunday lunch and pud, plus it isn't raining
    last hard - can't recall, tuesday???
    last rest - last Sunday

good luck with the runs and races everyone

wabo - watch that back, a day on the sofa??
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    what: 11 miles easy d&d
    why: day out with Bob
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: 9/10 days
    lyrics: nope

enjoy the racing everyone, I'm off to look at steam engines and Spitfires

careful Wabo
  • Morning all

M - Well done you and in the wind too!

Wabo - Ouch. Take care of your back. How is the sciatica at the mo?

Best of luck Sodahead, flyaway, Nutty and clink.

What: 7 miles fartlek
    Why: Trying to get my legs moving faster

Enjoy your sunday all
  • before i go to have a look at my cds -

lyrics: white stripes??
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    M - well done indeed.

Wabo - ouch. Even knowing what is likely to happen I still try and shove things about on my own. I never learn.

Have confirmation now that although the map still shows son 1 rooted in the bay, he has in fact reached Caernarvon, and is presumably part way up Snowdon.

So I'll do a little run in their honour - too much rain for my sailing crew to be enthusiastic.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Should have said, in case any of you have a peek, his boat (Fantom) is only a hire yacht, so competing with the thoroughbreds it is perhaps not surprising they are chasing the fleet.
  • Morning All

What: Nowt
    Why: You all know!
    Last hard: Weeks
    Last rest: last two weeks

Starting to get a litle frustrated! But new 42" TV is damn fine when lying on bed having enforced rest!

Nice racing M/ FL/ BR / Hilly and anyone else I've forgotten

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    It’s a grey, wet morning in South Lincolnshire as the drizzle drifts listlessly across the sugar beet factory. Although the grass is newly mown, the pitted and rutted running track has seen better days and now bears testament to the antics of the schoolboy BMXers. There’s a thin layer of moss and weeds growing around where the outside lanes used to be and there are wild flowers poking through the broken edges of the curb. Over in the corner of the field a handful of bedraggled crows are pecking hopefully for worms in what used to the long jump pit, whilst the car park is deserted save for a solitary Peugeot 206.

Slowly the car door opens and a white haired man wearing an overwashed T-shirt and a pair of paint splattered tracksters hauls himself gingerly off the drivers seat and steps onto the tarmac. The car door clunks reassuringly behind him. Checking he is unobserved, he walks hesitantly across the car park and onto the running track. The loan figure shambles down the unmarked track to where it starts to bend away from the straight. He drops a plastic bag containing a towel and a half full bottle of water by the track and then hitching up his sleeves breaks into a flat-footed jog. Gradually the spring creeps into his stride, he rises onto his toes and his arms and legs start to move rhythmically. The white head bobs up and down as he wipes the streaks of rain off his face and slowly the tension which had been creasing his brow starts to melt as the familiar feel of the running and the comforting sound of feet scrunching on the cinder surface envelop him.

Skipping over the rain filled potholes that litter the track he reaches the end of the finishing straight, glances at the crumpled carrier bag that he discarded just two minutes earlier and stops running. Hands on hips, peering at the track in front of him and curling his toes against the intruding grit in his shoes he walks slowly and methodically onwards. His face is expressionless now, though the frown lines are again starting to flicker across his forehead. Past the long abandoned and filled in water jump he marches. Occasionally he looks down at his right knee and flexes it hopefully. Suddenly he’s running again, the change is immediate, the bounce is back and he’s floating and there’s a faint smile playing across his lips.

For the next fifteen minutes this strange ritual is played out, he runs and smiles then walks and frowns. Eventually he reaches the plastic bag again, he stops, picks it up and tips its contents onto the grass. Reaching down he picks up the water bottle, unscrews the lid, throws back his head and drains the contents in one motion. Grapping the towel, he smothers himself in it as if trying to wipe away the rain, sweat and the torments of the past ten weeks all in one frantic movement. Blinking as he wipes his eyes, he crumples the towel around the crackling water bottle and stuffs both discarded items back into the plastic bag. He grabs the bag the way a farmer would a chicken heading for the pot, and strides purposefully back to the car.

He fumbles inside his tracksters to locate his car keys, thrusts them into the lock and drags the car door open. As he makes to step into the car, he glances over his shoulder towards the sugar beet silos. The sky behind them is dark and angry, the drizzle is clinging to the fibres of his T-shirt and his hair is dank and matted on his head. He screws his eyes up against the rain, shakes his head and breaths a long sad heartfelt sigh. Seconds later, the engine roars, the exhaust rattles and the car is gone.

Meanwhile back on the track, rivulets of water are flowing into the potholes and a forlorn looking crow scratches aimlessly in the sand.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    well done M!
    Lovely Tom...

After Fridays lyrics (Ghost Town) anyone catch Terry Hall, Lynval Golding and Lily Allen doing 'Gangsters' as Glastonbury on Saturday?

Running wise : today will be an hour in the grey drizzle of midsummer.
  • Hello!

Hilly, BR, FL - well raced - hope you enjoyed your evening with Shiraz, BR!

Imski - I can't believe you sat so many events out!

Wabo - I hope he appreciates all the effort you've gone to (but I suspect there's more chance he'll just tell you he preferred it the way it was....)

M - well raced in the windy city!

What: 13ish miles slow, plus I might do a bit extra
    Why: TIT (but yesterday's bike ride went mechanically wrong)
    Lyrics: Nope

Shudders at the idea of Tom bruising himself with cricket balls - but I'm guessing from today's story of the carrier bag and the track that it hasn't come to that yet.
  • Very soggy and very pedestrian 10.3 miles but rather enjoyable nonetheless.
  • Morning all

Great racing M, BR, hilly, FL
    Wabo -take care!

Soda - sounds fun, Cleveland Way can be a bog in those conditions, which bit are you doing?

I've been over optimistic with the recovery and didn't do yesterdays bike ride. Tired from Comrades plus 36 hours travelling and jet lag have delivered a head cold, so not doing anything for a couple of days. Just feels odd not training!

What: Beach and will fly my new wing kite!
    Why: Proper recovery
    Last Hard: 7 Days

Lyrics: Yep, on a roll here.
  • ooops premature 'submit'

Tom - very descriptive post. Reminds me of Ripping Yarns or even Les Dawson 'As the flaming ball of the mid-summer sun edged slowly down to set in a miriad of reds, yellows and orange hues, behind the gasworks tower.....a cat was sick behind our fence....'

Have a great day

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Trini, to speak of Ripping Yarns - fabulous stuff, especially "Tompkinson's School Days", though I do rather tend to identify with Eric Ostlethwaite affectionally refered to by his sister (played by the one time gorgeous Anita Carey)as a "boring little tit".

Any way returning to Tompkinson, I'm thinking of taking up the thirty mile hop as I do have one injury free leg.

• Well run, M!

For me it was 9.5 miles. I took it gently and even managed to set off at a sensible pace, which is unusual for me. Consequently, I loved every step of it - I wasn't tired at any point and the final 0.5, which is when the neighbours can see me so it's the bit that matters, I was flying with a sprint finish!

Two great examples today of the effect of music on my running. I was wearing my iPod and it was in shuffle mode. Now, if anyone asked me, I'd call myself a Radiohead fan, but I do have a soft spot for Hope of the States. Climbing the long hill out of Sevenhampton, the iPod was playing Black Dollar Bills - this song is quite gentle a lot of the time, but does a wonderful crescendo in the middle and then a guitar bursts in. At that point, my back suddenly straightened and my knees started to lift again, even though I was only half way up the hill. Then, at the point where I have to choose between left and 7.5 miles or straight on and 9.5 miles, it started to play The Black Amnesias - quite possibly my favourite track of all time and definitely my favourite instrumental track. There was only one way the decision could go.

Apologies then to the two girls on horse back who spoke nicely to me, I think, but my ears were full of the New Radicals at the time.

Back later to see how the racing went.
  • Helloooooooooo,

Great race there M. in the wind!

This week has been rather a write-off for me training-wise, but I do have the bones and guts of an article due at the beginning of August and now just have to sew it together. I can also report that jumping up in an archive and saying 'I knew it!' in a very pleased voice attracts about half disapproving glares and half jolly grins!

I need to read back now for a whole week to find out what you lot have been up to.

What: almost certainly nothing
    Why: written-off week mentioned above
    Last hard: puffing up the hill into Stoke Row on Friday morning
    Last rest: yesterday.

Good runnings all.
  • Hiya,

Lovely prose Tom; did it feel ok?

Hollywood: "Mechanically wrong" - how so?

Smannell 10k
    My second 10k race, so I wanted to beat the time on the first one. Wasnt going to happen though, as I quickly found out - persistent rain, the first half of the course is all uphill and the second half is uneven off road!! Never mind! Got to the "5km ish" mark in a sluggish 27mins, BUT...I knew I was 3rd female, which kept me pushing. There were 2 guys just ahead of me for ages, but they lost me with 2km to go, I couldnt quite keep up. I was so sure I would be overtaken by another woman all through the last 1km, which seemed so long, but I went as fast as I could and in fact, the 4th female was ages behind.
    So, I came 21st overall, 52mins ish (not sure exactly) and I was 3rd female!!!

I thought it was a little bit of a shame that they only did prizes for the first 3 overall, not the first 3 men and the first 3 women, so no prize for me. Also the goody bag was very weighted towards a male recipient (lots of Lynx for men-type stuff) but never mind, it was a fun race and kept me occupied. Maybe I could have gone a bit faster, because I dont feel exhausted, but i think today was more about enjoying it.

Hope everyone else's races went well.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Hi all!

Tom- felt I was at the trackside. Just keep at it.

Me? Couldn't stand the stress of stairing at the motionless dot on the map, so ran down to the sailing club (6 miles) thinking of the boys their boat and their mountains. It was a good run for the most part, all running, except for two stretch breaks. Stretch breaks seem to do a bit better than walk breaks, but still ended up completely stiffened up.

Got home to find the boys had got safely off Snowdon, had fixed their tracker, and were now making very respectable progress towards Whitehaven, nicely tucked behind Ellen Macarther Trust. Yippeee. Now I hope those runners are doing some serious eating and sleeping.
  • Afternoon..not read back yet, will tell you about my Torbay half marathon first .

I really dont like the course to be honest it is very undulating and a 2 lapper and ALWAYS hot...BUT not this year..perfect conditions , light rain around 15 degs and no wind..oh I wish it was a flatter course..still not to worry..setting of for a course pb...did 1.49 last year so shouldnt be too hard to beat that!

2 laps of Paignton green first..a bit congested, I started at the back..I have found it really helps me to have a very slow start....still once 2 laps are completed thats 2 miles out the way...before we head towards Torquay..3 hills on the way..so you know you are going to have them AGAIN !and of course the down hills are up hills on the way back !! but I felt really good and overtook people I would normally race with at about 4-5 miles..beating them by a good 4-5 minutes overall done that alot lately I obviously used to start too fast !

Quite good support..being a holiday resort which helps, then I heard "hi Julie", I turned around to see my eldset sons best mate(26)..ran with him having a nice chat he was telling me he had done the Great west in 1.41..so I thought I would do well to keep with him..but..I lost him...me in front ...he ended up doing just over the 2 hours..so I think hes going to get some stick from my son and their mates !

Anyway to cut a long story short we ran to Torquay..the lead runners passing us on the way and I was surprised to see Heather Hawker in 3rd ladies place..where she stayed..maybe it was a training run !!once in Torquay we turned ,ran back to paignton around the green and ran back to Torquay,,,then back to Paington ...so very undulating overall..I felt strong though and was chuffed to clock 1.43.30 6 whole minutes quicker than last year ...2nd W45and £15 !!

Looking forward to a flat cheddar and dartmoor vale in the autumn !!

will read back now !!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all

Happiness the sciatica is taking its time but easing up, though I think it may have something to do with hurting my back yesterday, I shouldn't have hefted things around when I have had this problem but like stickless said we never learn!
    Holly, I think you may be right, in fact its almost certain he preferred it as it was!
    Dustin I saw Lily doing Heart of Glass and Amy Winehouse doing Monkey Man, she was out of her brains! Saw lots more, great fun!
    Well done flyaway!
    Go stickless's boys!!

I have managed a slow 7 miler today, my longest run since Cape Wrath. It hasn't made my back any worse so I am glad I did it. Pretty sure this is just muscular so it will probably be worse tomorrow.