North West Borders League

2»

Comments

• Hi Mike,

Where did you find the results.

Keith

• Keith,

got sent them by email

however, you could now try the following: http://eprc.proboards91.com/index.cgi?board=races&action=display&thread=1192368762

and click on the links lower down.

Well done btw - good result

• Cheers Mike,

Another added bonus, first time under 30 mins for 5 miles (even better 5.1!).

Keith

• Nice one KM, looks like you had a cracker then on Sunday,w as perfect conditions as well!

Pug image

• Anyone know who is running the next BL race ? and where it is ?

HL

• HL,

Its Wallaseys and birkenhead Park.

Keith

• Thanks Keith - good to clear that up.

Is it the usual couple of times around the park, and about 5 miles ? and where do we start from ?

cheers, HL

• "Race 2, hosted by Wallasey AC will be held this year at Birkenhead Park, Wirral. The race will start and finish in the Park opposite Birkenhead 6th form college on  Park Road West. The course is 4 laps of the upper park including the path around the lake and will be approx 5.5 miles in distance."

Hope you're looking forward to being chased by dogs  & abused by scallies.
  •  Wirral AC's annual 5 mile event has been held in Birkenhead Park for many years now, no problem with dogs or scallies that I've been aware of in that time.

Then again.... we could do with some no-shows from Wrexham and other clubs - might boost our chances of climbing out of the relegation zone image

Anyway - how is everyone, going into this race?

I know Pug's still about a fortnight at least away from resuming training; have the Wallasey contingent managed to recover from the XC at Beacon Park last weekend? 

• Hi Mike,

Yes i think we have all recovered,  was a tough course (great fun though).  We were all pleased with our 5th overall position, especially if you consider 2-3 years ago we were only just managing to get enough to field a complete team, last saturday there were 17 of us i think.

See you and everyone else on Sunday. 

• Well I had my doubts about that loop round the lake when I warmed up round there - thought it might be a bit slippery - but apart from a slight problem with heavy traffic on lap 1, it wasn't too bad - made for quite a nice little course overall.

Rather disappointed with my 75th place - details (too many for most I suspect) at the bottom of this page.....
    ....pretty sure we're still bottom of the division, even though we did a lot better as a club this time.

Sounds like you had another decent race Keith.....what did Wallasey score overall? 

• Hi Mike,

Not sure what our overall score was.

Yes am running well at present, fingers crossed, touch wood and all that.

Am away this weekend so i won't have the joys of sefton park.

See you soon.

keith
  • Well I'm back  in 7 days time, don't think the leaders will have sanything to worry about, just watch your back lads, as I'll be about a mile behind you all image

The good thing is, we have the Crowster back to his best judging by his recent run in Leeds... which is brill... I think Marshallini is about to make a comeback with yours truely, so you lot better get a lead up because the Tango Boys are ready to ckick some ass image

Pug image

• Good Luck People!

Pug image

• LOL the come back is well and truely in full effect.

Had a good run today all things considered.  Managed 123rd place and averaged sub 7 minute miling, it's not exactly fast but after my runs this week I thought sub 7:30's would be unlikely.

Anyway 8 weeks to Abergele and I should be in some approaching top form by then, might make top 100!

Maybe of some interest to you............................

Border League Videos
  • Nice one Chris, you had a cracker considering you look fat in your shorts image

As for Puglet, can't complain really... was sorry to see Mike S getting injured during the run... however, here's my splits..

1 Mile = 6:44
    2 Mile = 7:00 (13:45)
    3 Mile = 7:55 (21:41) Hill Of K2 Proportions image
    4 Mile = 7:19 (29:00) Hill... Maybe Snowdon Proportions
    5 Mile = 6:46 (35:47)
    6 Mile = 7:08 (42:55)
    0.1 Mile = 26:36 (43:21)

All in, faster thasn I was expecting and have to pleased... it'll come back in time... and like Chris we've got 8 weeks today to prepare forAbergele and get back into something reasonable.

Went off with Chris like a couple of school kids laughing and joking with a nice pleasent wirral lady... then came the hill... Chris went backwards and I stormed up it... stormed as in... didn't lose any places and didnt really gain any hahaha... however felt strong on them... it's simply lack of pace at the moment and sheer enormaty of my gutt... coming down that downhill at 1.5 mile ish... nearlyknocked myself out with my man breasts image

Pug image

• My splits. 

1 Mile = 6:47.84
    2 Mile = 8:06.80 (14:54.64)
    3 Mile = 7:38.59 (22:33.23)
    4 Mile = 6:32.41 (29:05.64)
    5 Mile = 6:09.12 (35:14.76)
    6 Mile = 6:31.15 (41:45.91)
    0.1 Mile = 0.36.76 (42:22.67)

I'll accept miles 1, 5 and 6 as timed correctly. I think the others were all marked slightly out if you compare my times to Pug's

I could barely control my laughter over the first half mile, I was sitting behind Pug and thinking "how the mighty have fallen" as we both waddled along. 

At 1.5 miles and the first mellow climb Pug dropped me, as did just about everyone else. I'd make up ground on the descents but lose it all again on the climbs.

Passing 3.5 miles and the last of the ups I started to make my move and caught Pug just after 4 mile then using the long downhill to the finish I managed to put a bit of distance betweeen me and him and to reel in a few more runners, but after catching Andy Smith of Helsby I didn't have enough to pass him and he pushed on, then I was repassed by strong finish from a lady from Abergele.

Was hoping for 42:42 and managed 42:22 so happy.

Bring on Abergele!

• i think i must have been quite close to you both for the first mile or two but felt a bit rough and took it steady when we got to the hills. like you chris i lost a couple of places on the up bits and made a few on the down bits

not sure about mile 2 and 3 markers being accurate ?
    hope mikeS is ok, i saw him about half way and he didn't look comfy or happy

• who's out at abergele on sunday?
    could be wild and windy

• I'm meant to be there however, having problems with a trapped nerve in my left leg at the moment, so not 100% sure. However, even if not running think I'll go anyway!

Pug image

• you don't have much luck do you pug - is it the same leg you broke too?
  • Hahaha... I know... always something... no, it's the other leg.... I can run on it, but it's not comfortable... however, if it's like it is today I'll run and just cruise around as opposed to racing around. Not as though I'm fast anymore anyway, just get out for the team really.

Looks like it's going to be a wet and windy one as well... ouch, just what you need. Wrap up people image

Pug image

• Pug, looks like you had a good one. What are you going to be like when you're fit !!

HL

• Hi there hahaha... yeah decided to just set the Garmin to 6:00 m/m and see if I could hold on... didn't quite as can be seen from splits:

1 Mile = 5.52 @ 163bpm
    2 Mile = 11:48 (5.56) @ 173bpm
    3 Mile = 17:55 (6.06) @178bpm
    4 Mile = 24:02 (6.06) @178bpm
    5 Mile = 30:11 (6.09) @ 178bpm

However, very happy with that considering... got a physio appointment for this trapped nerve as it's driving me nutts, it's tightening the whole left side of me up image

Hoping to see a big increase in fitness now over the next 10 weeks so at least I'll be able to do something decent in London... and more importantly Edinburgh.

So, how'd everyone else do? Seemed a quality field out yesterday when looking at the results...

Pug image

• nice run pug, especially with the nerve problem.
    thought i was going to fractionally break 35 but they gave me 35.02. still it's a bit faster than last time on that course. i don't particularly like the bit up the steps and round the caravans. came a bit higher than usual but some of the fast girls were missing. i think some did alsager 5 instead

nice to see mikeS out too after his recent problems

• On my watch I had 30:59.87 but it was rounded up to 31 which is a shame, but still a good time for me at the moment.

Splits
    6:09.21
    6:10.75
    6:20.70
    6:15.55
    6:03.66

Finished strong and had a good race with Mark Bayliss from Wirral Ac.

• anyone know how long the helsby course is tomorrow please?
    i missed this one last time

thanks

• Sorry clink a bit late now but I measured the course today at 5.95 miles if that's any help.

Everyone missed it last time as it was cancelled due to snow.

I had a very good run today considering how bad I've felt since Thursday. I think I was 38th in about 37:33.

Next one is about 4 miles

results
  • lol marshallini - that' a relief i thought i missed it  because i was ill!
    good placing for you there, must be pleased with that
    the memory of the previous outing had slighly dimmed the horror of the rolleroaster, that was such hard work. i lost a few places in the last mile or so but i my best finishing position for a while so can't complain