Wed 27th June 2007

Comments

• Oh, forgot to say...

birkmyre: I think Chris' lyrics were from Psalm 100, but I'm not sure what translation - the NKJ has it as "Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands". But I assume he was wondering if you'll still be running at 100!
    I wonder how old the oldest marathon runner is?

clink: The Little Woody is a spin-off event of The Big Woody which is a long course triathlon, in the Forest of Dean, Sept 1st. So the Big Woody is Iron-Man distance, but the Little Woody, which I'm gonna do, is (only!!) 1.2mile swim, 56mile bike, 13.1mile run, ie: half an IM distance.
    So, I have 2 months to train!! Wish me luck!!!
  • ah - sorry hollywood. its a fairly steep river bank with a kind of matting down on it. lots of volunteers there to pull you up - you just get to the bank and hold your arms up and they pull you straight out. you might be able to see it here (not me by the way)

i will have a think about what else....
  • hmmm not sure that link works.

go to marathon-photos.com, then click photo archive at the top of the page, then select ironman austria from the 2006 drop down list. you might have to wait a while but it does work.

it will give you a selection of about 5 photos and one of them is someone just exiting the water - you can see the marshalls pulling people out behind him.
  • ooops - spoke to soon - that link does work it just takes ages.
  • Morning all,
    SE Kent Summer Road Relays last night for me, these were held at a new venue in Fowlmead park, just outside Deal.

Once again injuries meant I had to compromise the team selection and call runners who were still far from 100% fit! Team ended up 4th on the day, not as good as I had hoped but should secure us 3rd in the championship.

Myself? felt a little flat, but managed to work quiet hard around the course, had a bad patch mid-race, then pushed hard on the last part, managed a strong sprint finish to hand over to our 4th leg runner, the course was 2.25miles approx my time 12:17secs.

What:
    am: 6-miles easy already done, 6:55mm achieved, felt good so the pace was nice, quiet undulating route, this was my best time on route for 12-months!

Why:
    Aerobic endurance

Not running tonight, but talking to my coach on the phone, before he leaves with my czech girlie training partner for Prague as its the Czech champs this weekend!

Also going to my 2nd claim club, there is a special event taking place tonight, so do not want to miss that!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    <sneaks in while they've lifted the internet embargo at work>

What : woodland 5 race 2, Crowthorne (Bracknell)
    Why: muddy hills, May's time to beat, first hard effort since the South Downs....

Try to read back, looks like I've a scooby report to digest...
  • Afternoon all!

Clink - how are you getting on with P&D? I'm following a plan in their other book and it has done me well so far - I have got RRFSR and it is a good read - some useful training tips in their I think - good luck with the race!

Scooby - Fantastic Report - really enjoyed it - good work.. and well done in the race too!

DD - Not a chance!...... yet.......

SiT - everything crosssed for you and your scan

Stickless - Fantastic work by your son - I've been involved with the 3 peaks by land (walk/run and drive between) and that is tough, goodness knows how hard it is by sea!

Sportaloo - Enjoy the mountains. Very jealous!

SGQ - Wish the council would do that in my area! They're too busy chasing the kids away with the spray cans to use their own!

I had a great run last night, took it fairly easy for the first part but managed to record ave pace of 7:30 and then did my strides. Last couple of the set (of 10) were a little tough to maintain form on but then had a mile left to do home and pushed the pace to 6:20 m/m for the mile so pleased with that.

What: Xtraining/Core Work
    Why: Need to get core strong
    Last Hard: Last mile yesterday (I pushed the pace)
    Last Rest: Sunday

Lyrics: Not a good week for me...

Happy days y'all!

FIN
  • Quick pop in to say well done Scoobs, great report.

Back to work.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    quick flying visit

What: 4 x 5 x 70 with Tracey
    plyometrics and a 2-5 miler
    Why: Taper
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: 13 days
    Lyrics: yes

Birkmyre, yesterdays lyrics by U2 the section quoted is from said holy text

Enjoy the holiday Sporta and relax!!!!

MTB, welcome back
  • Good race and entertaining report, Scoobs!

Hope the back is improving, Wabo.

Tom, given the impressive writing you've been doing for us lately, what's the next step? Links to youtube for arty b/w shortfilms?

What: 6 miles easy d&d, club run pm (usually steady 9 miles give or take)
    Why: general aerobic running
    Last rest: sunday
    Last hard: saturday
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    Birkmyre, way to go!!
    Sportaloo is recruiting methinks….
    Mtb, great to read you are out running and I can imagine how good it felt!!
    I know there is lots more to read and will try later!
    did a track session last night which was 4 x 1200, splits were roughly 6.06, 5.50 (being chased I reckon) 6.11 and 6.01, paced to finish on that one!! Back was ok, it is a bit stiff and achy today but definitely getting better.

wht: cycled to work, weights d&d cycle home cross country can't wait!!
    why: I do love my bike
    last hard: last night
    last easy: sat I think

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon..

just got up..it was nice this morning when I went to bed , but woke up to find...MORE FLIPPING RAIN..getting a bit much now isnt it . ??/
    Scoobs well done really great report, you sound like your old self again...I really am in awe of how you have taken to this tri stuff... good on ya !

Wabo...great track session , glad your back is improving !!

What : club run...if its not raining too much

Why : its wednesday
    Last hard : Sunday
    Last rest 6 days
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    NN
    You're 3rd in the Championship now!
    If I can go on a club run in the rain, so can you, so see you soon...
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    scoobs I loved your report, that swim in the sea sound scary but fun!! Well done scoobs!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Scooby - Well done indeed
    Stickless - Fantastic about your son, you must be proud
    nrg-b - enjoy the party
    SiT - have my fingers crossed for you
    Sportaloo - enjoy your hols, sounds devine

ok

What: 4.12 miles
    Why: easy run
    Last Hard: ages now
    Lyrics: No

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    flyaway - 94 years

oldest marathoner

sadly departed now

Fajua Singh

Not sure when his last marathon was but still incredible stuff

• Afternoon all,

clink: I dropped my guard and got swamped by things. Venice is magical. I could happily live there apart from the lack of 20m training routes. I wonder what they do for the marathon?

Scoobs: Great report and marvelous result. Well done.

Melli: Hope the pain in the bum's nothing more than taper madness.

Sporta: Have a good holiday

What: nothing yet
    Why: didn't get out at lunchtime as head wasn't in a running mood. Hoping to find some motivation to go out tonight.
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Either today or 14 days

Have a good one
  • Morning all,

Sporta - snow in Joburg, what do the baboons make of that!?

What: 20 miles hilly bike ride.

Why: Crosstraining and have (foolishly?) entered a 111 miles bike ride on Sunday. Kind of a Trinidad "Fred Witton", not a race, but more of a charity and social event. If I make it it will be longest ever ride. I have 3 planned 'bail' points if the legs give out!

Last Hard: 11 days

Have a great day
  • Pammie - I think, and don't quote me on this... but I think Fajua Singh ran in Edinburgh last month.

FIN

<dashes off to scan the results webpage>

• Nearly, he ran it as part of a relay team

Although he is still quoted as being the worlds oldest marathoner...

Very impressive none the less

FIN
  • Hey 200....3rd eh ! not for on though I bet..unless I ...what are we doing instead of Seaton half ??.....

I shall be there tonight...weather not looking too bad at the moment ..

Pammie..great links !
  • not for LONG..blasted keyboard !!
  • I just put to telly on to see Haile run the last few laps of his 1 hour record attempt. Exact new record distance just announced 21,285m , he was churning out 67s laps like clockwork. It's all a bit scary when you think about it...
  • What: 6.05 miles am // 8.07 miles pm
    Why: Getting in those miles
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: 17 days
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hailie is an amazing guy Imski, still breaking records after all these years!

Scoobs.. great report and a fine effort from you.

Simon.. fingers crossed that it may be something trivial.

Wabo.. I must love my bike too. I am taking it down the bike shop tomorrow to have some £400+ wheels fitted. I was talked into it by a cycling friend and the nice man in the shop assured me that my bike was worthy of such excess, and I would notice a difference. Still, I got rid of my car a year ago so spoiling the bike with the odd indulgence seems relatively cheap!

Run home from work tonight, 15 miles done. Mostly dry with the odd shower but had to run through about 50 metres of shin high floodwater a couple of times.
  • Sounds like you did really well in your Tri Scooby.

AF - re 20 mile runs in Venice. Never been to Venice, but remember the Japanese coming down to NZ to train. We have some great places to run but they seemed to even do their long runs around in circles - guess to disipline their minds. I'm sure they would then find running a marathon easy.

Haven't had much time to keep up with the thread.

No run Tuesday - 5 miles bush tracks Wednesday.
  • Wow, thanks Pammie! He didn't look 94 did he?! I hope this isnt irreverent, but I think thats a pretty good way to go too - no huge long decline, he stayed active, mentally and phsyically, right up to the end. I wont complain if I end up anything like that!

I had my first swimming lesson in 20 years tonight. I was really pleased, she said my stroke was basically really good, the thing that slows me down the most is turns, and not being very streamlined on push-offs, so she taught me to tumble-turn (how much fun is that!! Except when you forget to breathe out and end up inhaling water...) and also gave me some pointers on my pull, which is the weakest part of my stroke and some drills. But I was expecting major criticisms, so I'm really happy!
    Cant wait till tomorrow now to practice all these things!
  • Good for you Flyaway. I had a good swim too, open water at Noss Mayo - sounds v exotic but is just around the corner from Plymouth. My less than fab swim at Bala had really knocked my confidence, but it was great today and the sighting was fine, so I think it must have been the chop in Bala that threw me. Off to bed now!
  • Evening,
    I too am struggling for time. So straight to it...

What: 6m am, 7m including a 5K road race pm
    Why: general stuff am, speed session pm

Last hard: Today
    Last rest: 12 days

Tonights 5K went better that expected - 17.10. Very happy bunny

Take care all.