Wed 27th June 2007

13»

Comments

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good evening. Sadly no run for me today as the knee was very sore and stiff on waking this morning. It would seem that the fragility of the injury is such that it is unable to cope with a total of 3.7 miles run slowly over a period of three days.

I’m just starting the twelfth week of my well documented injury and am now a shadow of my former self. So far every effort I’ve made has yielded no improvement and failed to stem the gradual decline of fitness. I’ve experimented with every combination of jogging, running, walking, resting, stretching, strengthening and self massage – all to no avail.

So what's to be done.....

I've been running for just under five years and reached my zenith, which lasted a full three months, back in early 2005. Since then I've struggled with injury and declining performances. Now I've slumped to a nadir where I just can't run free of pain any more. As they say, when your in a hole, that's the time to stop digging. So it's time to throw away the spade.

This no man's land of ongoing injury is not for me. I'm happy when I'm running, even though my expectations may not be met and I'm equally happy when I'm not - after all I spent 25 years without it. What I can't handle is this self dillusional state where I'm neither one thing or the other. So no more running from me for as while.

I'll carry on lurking and posting if I've got any thing worthwhile to say. But for the forseeable future it's no more "whats", "whys and "last hards"

• sad to hear that tom. Hope it comes right sooner rather than later.

What: 12 miles cycled running errands
    Why: non running day
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Tom
    I will miss your posts, I particularly enjoyed your recent first post after your enforced rest!
    Hopefully a brief total break will enable you to come back refreshed & able to enjoy your running again.
    In the meantime enjoy lurking by all means, but better still join the debate as often as you can!

Reporting this evenings (dry!) run:

What: 1:03 of muddy hills, etc.
    Why: Club night
    Last hard: 3 days
    Last rest: 2 days
    Next race: 9 days

Off on an early train to Birmingham tomorrow, back fairly late so probably a rest day looming...
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Tom, really sorry to hear that, I do hope you will be able to pop in from time to time and hope it all works out.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Tom - why not give another sport a go ?

Wardi - what are the wheels

Trini - good luck with the ride, sounds fun.

What - 110 minutes on the bike - rode up the A6 to Whatstandwell, up the hill to Malt Shovel, over and down Cromford Hill, into Matlock Bath and back down the A6 and home via Little Eaton.
  • Belated Happy Birthday to Birkmyre. Now you can stick two fingers up at al those road signs that say "don't exceed 40".

Mellifera: I think we all suffer from time to time with a pain in the bum. Usually at the office.

Bama Fauja Singh: we respect you, and your contribution to our sport.

Tom: I suppose that there's always wine, women, and fast cars. You can fritter away any remaining money.

Lyrics: no idea

For me: It was tiring just getting out the door. 6.5 miles round the Parish hamster wheel. Eased into it. No pressure, no care. Tick tock. Flowing smoothly now. I suppose I could work the HR a little bit. Keep the pace just above comfort level. Uphill section, concentrate on form and pace. 1 mile to go, no need to ease down. Moving smartly now.
    Home in 47:45, well that was indeed a pleasing outing. I'm not tired now.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Popsider.. Mavic Kysrium SSC SL. My previous Campag Vento rear was giving me loads of punctures which hastened my decision to upgrade. I hear that the Mavics combine well with titanium frames like my Airborne. We shall see!

Blisters.. have you applied for your FLM GFA place yet? Same hotel, same course etc {O:
  • Hello all

200 minutes - not sure when WCR is but I will be there. Check out Les Croupiers website, they organise it.

Sportaloo - enjoy the break

Tom and anyone else on injury bench - thoughts are with you and wish you a speedy recovery. Keep posting and don't give up!

Will update today's page now!!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Tom. But please keep posting, your opinion is quite welcome.

Lyrics were Whitney Houston, "(Learning to love yourself is the) Greatest Love of all".