How bad were you...

Comments

• Swimming:
    Crashie...25m front crawl
    JD...Not swum for 12 years
    Ratbag ... 50m front crawl (ish)
    WildWill ... No Good open water
    cougiw - 25m breast stroke - tops. No crawl and wouldnt thing of open water.
    IW...never had any swim training and no long distance OW stuff.
    Swissbobby could not swim 25m of any known stroke - could get in water and move but calling it swimming was generous.
    jellybabe..couldnt swim from crawl, max 40 lengths breast stroke
    MTB - couldn't do FC at all, but was "passable" at breastroke.
    Garr - fast but inefficient as a child. Never been a 'serious' swimmer. First IM - 1h23m
    Plum .... 10 metres top wack, never been good in the water
    FeKK - couldn't swim front crawl at all, could barely do 25 yards breas stroke
    ABB - 300m but a mixture of front crawl, breast stroke and back stroke with stops at erach end of the pool (IM 1:21)
    D74 - Just learnt crawl, could almost do 100m without resorting to breast for a bit (IM 1:10)

Cycling:
    Crashie...non-cyclist, didn't own a road bike
    JD...Newbie-12mph
    Ratbag...Didn't own a road bike
    WildWill ... slow as hell and took all day 2 MTB 40miles (lots of rests)
    cougie - fine - had done 100m TTs and ridden 140 miles when i was 16.
    IW...just showed up and raced, never did any cycle training to speak of.
    Swissbobby... Did not own a road bike
    jellybabe..owned a MTB for occ w/e rides, never riden more than about 25 miles
    MTB - owned a MTB that had been out of the shed less than half a dozen times in a year. No road bike till January of this year.
    Garr - Only a few >100m, mainly <25m or sprints. Nothing in a club or TT. First IM - 7h
    Plum ...Used to go Youth Hosteling at school back in the days of quill bens and abacus'
    FeKK - Hadn't owned a bike at all or even been on a bike in 15 years.
    ABB - MTB only for 4km commute to work. Bought a road bike 7 months before IM (IM 8:16)
    D74 - Only just bought a road bike but done <50 miles on it, but in fairness had always been a weekend warrier MTBer (IM 5:46)

Running
    Ratbag...OK
    JD...up to 4 miles
    WildWill ...Not bad
    cougie - had done a couple of FLMs
    IW...ok, having run all my life.
    Swissbobby Marathon runner with 3:38 pb
    jellybabe.. never run more than a half mara
    MTB - slow but steady, mara and ultra completed
    Garr - one marathon to check I could go the distance before signing up to an IM the next day. First IM - 6 hours
    Plum ...... 40+ marathons
    FeKK - Ok I was a 3:16 marathoner but you have to get to the run for it to help being a good runner
    Crashie: 4:08 mara
    ABB - Could only manage a v slow run/walk (25 mins for a 3km) (IM 6:37, total IM 16:38)
    D74 - done 2 half marathons, no marthon 1:58 (IM 4:40)

• Thanks for this, its boosted my confidence no end! As a newbie of 2 months standing with 1 sprint under my race-belt I thought IM beyond the capabilities of my 43 year old bones! Maybe not as I can swim 2kms, cycle for 2 hours at 17mph and do a sub 2 hr half mara. So sounds like I might just make it however long it takes. :-)

Skips off to work with renewed vigour!!
  • Sheeesh D74...you came a long way in a short time...

Swimming:
    Ratbag ... 50m front crawl (ish) (IM 1:38)
    Swissbobby could not swim 25m of any known stroke - could get in water and move but calling it swimming was generous.
    Garr - fast but inefficient as a child. Never been a 'serious' swimmer. First IM - 1h23m
    ABB - 300m but a mixture of front crawl, breast stroke and back stroke with stops at erach end of the pool (IM 1:21)
    D74 - Just learnt crawl, could almost do 100m without resorting to breast for a bit (IM 1:10)

Cycling:
    JD...Newbie-12mph
    Ratbag...Didn't own a road bike (IM 7hrs)
    MTB - owned a MTB that had been out of the shed less than half a dozen times in a year. No road bike till January of this year.
    Garr - Only a few >100m, mainly <25m or sprints. Nothing in a club or TT. First IM - 7h
    Plum ...Used to go Youth Hosteling at school back in the days of quill bens and abacus'
    ABB - MTB only for 4km commute to work. Bought a road bike 7 months before IM (IM 8:16)
    D74 - Only just bought a road bike but done <50 miles on it, but in fairness had always been a weekend warrier MTBer (IM 5:46)

Running
    Ratbag...OK (IM 5 Hrs)
    JD...up to 4 miles
    WildWill ...Not bad
    Garr - one marathon to check I could go the distance before signing up to an IM the next day. First IM - 6 hours
    FeKK - Ok I was a 3:16 marathoner but you have to get to the run for it to help being a good runner
    ABB - Could only manage a v slow run/walk (25 mins for a 3km) (IM 6:37, total IM 16:38)

Just out of interest, I have a few modest goals in mind...

Swim 1:20 - 1:25
    Bike 6:00 - 6:30
    Run 4:30 - 4:45

Including say 10 mins total transistion gived:

12 hrs (yeah, right) to 12:50 (I'd be very happy with anything sub 13 TBH)

It's a bit scary when you write it down like that...
  • Ratbag

My goals are almost the same as yours but with a quicker swim and slower run

12hrs dream
    sub 13 relistic
  • Ratbag

My goals are almost the same as yours but with a quicker swim and slower run

12hrs dream
    sub 13 relistic
  • PSC, you could do one next year with no problem at all...get yerself signed up for IM France...
  • my IM times
    swim 1.38, done nothing since to compare
    bike 7.52 (av 14.2 mph) only camparison cyclesportif 2 weeks ago, 81 miles in 5.24 (av 15mph)
    run 5.42, mara PB 4.23

• Ratbag, you don't know how tempting that is. I want to run a mara first to make sure I can. Got one in Oct..beachy head!

• probably not the marathon you want to base your time on though PSC
    as you will see when you get there

:-)

• On the other hand, you won't have swum 2.4 miles and cycled 112 miles first :o)

And a marathon PB in an IM would be very cool ;o)

• Lurker, I know the course reasonably well having walked it 3x in my youth! SL, that thought had occurred to me! When I'm back on a proper pc I might find the thread and are how many newbies are entering it!
  • Swimming:
    Had mastered front crawl previous Autumn,and done about 4 sprints- all pool swims and a couple of duathlons (IM time 1:21:52)

Cycling:
    JD...Newbie-12mph
    Always had a bike for transport purposes, maximum ride about 30 miles (IM time 6:43:37)

Running
    Ratbag...OK (IM 5 Hrs)
    JD...up to 4 miles
    WildWill ...Not bad
    Now, I did run and ran long stuff, ultras and marathons including MDS, mar. pb of 3:01:57 (IM time 3:44:32)
  • This is a shameless boing of one of my own threads, but it may just persuade people that Nice sounds like a lot of fun :o)
  • Swimming:
    Had mastered front crawl previous Autumn,and done about 4 sprints- all pool swims and a couple of duathlons (IM time 1:21:52)
    Symes - might have been able to save myself from a sinking ship through doggy paddle and breast stroke

Cycling:
    JD...Newbie-12mph
    Always had a bike for transport purposes, maximum ride about 30 miles (IM time 6:43:37)
    Symes - not been on a bike for 3+ years after being hit by a car which then drove over my arm breaking it in 5 places (all Birmingham!)

Running
    Ratbag...OK (IM 5 Hrs)
    JD...up to 4 miles
    WildWill ...Not bad
    Now, I did run and ran long stuff, ultras and marathons including MDS, mar. pb of 3:01:57 (IM time 3:44:32)
    Symes - 14 marathons best 3.32, worst 4.08
  • Swimming:
    Symes - might have been able to save myself from a sinking ship through doggy paddle and breast stroke
    Ironmike - Competitive swim background, came into IM knowing I could excel here (1st IM swim 58 mins)

Cycling:
    JD...Newbie-12mph
    Symes - not been on a bike for 3+ years after being hit by a car which then drove over my arm breaking it in 5 places (all Birmingham!)
    Ironmike - Didn't own a road bike, hadn't ridden since childhood. First ride struggled through 7 miles. (1st IM ride 6h18)

Running
    Ratbag...OK (IM 5 Hrs)
    JD...up to 4 miles
    WildWill ...Not bad
    Ironmike - London marathon in 2000 5h50m. IM time 6h15.
  • Swimming:
    Ironmike - Competitive swim background, came into IM knowing I could excel here (1st IM swim 58 mins)
    Barley - couldnt swim front crawl but was okish at breast stroke.

Cycling:
    JD...Newbie-12mph
    Ironmike - Didn't own a road bike, hadn't ridden since childhood. First ride struggled through 7 miles. (1st IM ride 6h18)
    Barley - Not ridden a bike since my teens

Running
    Ratbag...OK (IM 5 Hrs)
    JD...up to 4 miles
    WildWill ...Not bad
    Ironmike - London marathon in 2000 5h50m. IM time 6h15.
    Barley - 2 Marathons, 2001 FLM 4:06
  • It won't let me post such a long message :-(

Swim

Lindi - failed 25m in September, passed on second attempt in October (1st IM Swim 1:19)

Bike

Lindi - some MTBing years before, owned a road bike with about 50m on the clock nad far too big for me. (1st IM bike 6.13)

Run - Half marathons just under 2 hours a couple of years before. (1st IM run 4.50)

• Swim

Lindi - failed 25m in September, passed on second attempt in October (1st IM Swim 1:19)
    Doozer - no swimmng bck ground but could swim ok 1st (IM swim 1:01)

Bike

Lindi - some MTBing years before, owned a road bike with about 50m on the clock nad far too big for me. (1st IM bike 6.13)
    Doozer - struggld to do 20 miles in a sprint tri (1st IM 5:55)

Run - Half marathons just under 2 hours a couple of years before. (1st IM run 4.50)
    Doozer - FLM 4.42 (1st IM 5:05)

• Nice to see ive a faster marathon PB than you Doozer :o)
  • I didnt even use an aero helmet ;)
  • i only have little legs though, takes me more effort. I am planning on rectifying that marathon PB in the next 12 months to get it more in line with my half PB of 1.29

I was also a fully paid up burger boy until a this year
  • Oh my half PB is better than yours to :o) 1:26:31
  • I wish... more like 1:48

Im hoping to rediscover some run ability and get a sub 4:00 at FLM next year. You should have a good shot at 3:15 certainly 3:30
  • you are a legend of endurance sports, how could anyone compete with the famous caoch Barlos. When you did your half, was it '10k that way and 10k that way'
  • lol yes both half's were the same distance
  • I wish to complain about this thread. It is clearly an irresponsible attempt to get innocent and unsuspecting people to believe they can do something that any sensible person would say is completely beyond their capability.

....so, when's IM France then? Just, y'know, asking. No reason.

I'd convinced myself that my total lack of swimming ability meant that it'd be 2009 before I should even consider this....
  • Likewise, before I read this thread I had convinced myself that I needed at least a few warm ups before my first IM.

So, I am year away and here are my results:

swimming - 100m crawl
    cycling - 40km without stopping
    running - FLM last year 3:50

still can't get the idea that I will be able to swim 2km by June next year for a 70.3 let alone a full IM.....
  • Now look chaps...you just need to check the above to see that many of us were crap swimmers and in 6-7 months we managed to do an IM...

So don't mess about...sign up for IMF (22nd June 2008) and then get on with the training...don't faff around with 70.3 unless it's in preparation for IMF...that's called planning... ;-)
  • 3:10 mara.

Was a cyclist before I was a runner, but that was a long time ago....like 15 years+. Think I did a 25 mile TT in about 1:20. Was better at distance than speed, have done 150 mile days before. Well, once anyway.

Swim like a turd.

I can feel myself weakening. Maybe if I swim about a bit in the sea when I'm on me jollies in a couple of weeks I'll be able to convince myself that I am too crap to do IMF next year.

See? see what you've done? Already gone from denying to myself that I might do 'an IM' to denying to myself that I'm going to do a specific event....!
  • Swim - maybe two lengths without barfing.
    Bike - hadn't been on one for years. A year out I'd owned one for 6 months and probably been on it little more than a dozen times. Still doing too much running.
    Run - Mara PB of 2:55.

Best thing that happened to me was when Dozer knocked me off my bike and I ended up trapping my sciatic nerve in January. Didn't run for >3months and couldn't cycle for >1month as a result did waaay more swimming and biking than I would have done otherwise. Runners you have been warned.

As you were.