Fairlands Valley Challenge Multi-Terrain Marathon

Am I the only one doing this?

Comments

• Possibly going to enter on the day. Sounds good fun.
  • Hi Too much water . I have done a couple of these multi-terrain marathons now and I think they are more fun than some of the flat ones.
    I am still learning how to follow the route without getting lost. Hopefully I will get better!
  • do i need to learn the route or buy a map? i was hoping to follow the route description, i've not got lost so far.

the flat city races are best left to those who like them, don't want too many people clogging up the trails!

i've done Beachy Head and the Clarendon Way marathons, plus a few other trail races... it will depend on how i get round the kent 50 mile challenge on Sunday

• We did this one a couple of years ago, it's fantastic especially the bread pudding!!

The route description is fine to get round on .......... we managed it!
  • I was just going to use the route discription to get round.I am glad to hear that you managed it Moe.

Good luck on sunday with your 50 mile challenge TMW. I did a 33 mile race last weekend which was a monster to me.
  • Not done this one before but have done a few simlar events. They are much more fun then running in a pack of thusands on tarmac/concrete. Will be there
  • The route discription things is a good idea and what makes the event goo. Anybody can follow marshells and lots of other people and run 26 miles. But it is a bit more taxing having to read and work out you route as you go.
  • We did the 18 mile and the countryside is cracking, it'd be a crime to go too fast! I'd be tempted to do the 26 next time ........ if only for an extra piece of bread pudding!
  • yup, just entered. Any copies of the route description from previous years around?
  • This is my first time off tarmac. And I normally manage to get lost even with all the marshals. (Good this I'm only doing the 18 mile option).

Any tips for a first timer?
  • hello folks
    Geprig I am a runner who is used to being mollycoddled from start to finish so when I stepped into an off-road marathon I was worried about every little thing.It turned out to be one of the best running experiences of my life.
    so my tip to you is not to worry, they'll be plenty of runners who will help you along the way.
  • Hello all, this will be my first off-road marathon, quite excited but also a bit anxious! - does anybody know if there are water stations around the course and, if so, how often they are? Could do without carrying the camelbak all the way.
  • you will find that the camaraderie, atmosphere and support from fellow runners / marshals at a trail race is second to none... compared to road races where people chase times, here you're running for the pleasure of it :-)

a rather sore 28 miles or so of the Kent 50 mile challenge for me today, legs let me down as near enough every joint and muscle group caused me grief.

still want to do this next week though to see if it was a one-off, either that or i need a leg transplant :-D
  • will be entering on the day though... and if i don't get in i will hang around for the bread pudding i expect :-D
  • robert I think you will find plenty of water at each check-point. I am not sure how many check-points there are,( six or seven is the norm)

Too much water,with a good rest this week I am sure you will be able to cover this 26 miler. Be confident that you can conquer the distance.
  • Many thanks for the information about the water stations brassneck. Can't wait till Sunday....I think it's going to be a long day!
  • Did this last year and if you're doing the 26 miler you get 6 water stops. It's a cracking run and to be honest I'd love to be doing it again this year but not had the time to train :-(
  • Hi everyone,

This run looks really good and pretty keen to give it a go this Sunday! I did the London marathon in April (my first one!) and haven’t done much since. I’ve just stepped it up the last 2-3 weeks really with a few 7-8 mile runs. Do you think I would be silly to give the fully 26 mile route a go or should I step down to the 12 or 18 miles??

I’ll be fine with the navigation and really don’t mind how long it takes me but I’m up for a good challenge!

Cheers,
    Jules
  • Did 18 last year-4 of us. Well Run, Great bread pudding, I should know-I had raging toothache and still enjoyed it. Going to do 18 again I think, did about 19 last year but directions are not to hard to follow.I would see how you feel but 26 a long way but then again plenty of time to have a chat, nibble etc at water stations.
  • I don't think we will have to worry about water stations judging by the amount that has fallen round here overnight.( and its still pouring) Yesterday it was sunny all day so it could change back just as quick.
    julian you might be better of going for one of the shorter distances but I'm sure you could do the 26 if you walk/run. Just take it nice and easy.
  • Looking forward to seeing you all there on Sunday, whatever the weather. Did it last year and it is one of the best we have ever done. I run with my friend, and our husbands do the 18 mile option - a great day out for all of us.
    We've got Boddington 50k tomorrow so we expect to take all day on Sunday. Please save something on the bbq for us (including veggie) as I've got a feeling we are going to need it.
    Have a great run everyone.
  • Hi all,

Any idea how long it would take to walk to the start from the station??

Ta,
    Jules
  • still unsure about this, but i will probably give it a go on the day

enjoy the double one blue leg :-)
  • crikey one blue leg thats an awful lot of running to do over one weekend! I take my hat off to you.

Just heard that there are delays on the train line between oxford and london due to flooding. Hopefully it will be clear again by tomorrow when i have to travel.

come sunday afternoon and we will all be looking for some shade because of the heat!
  • Brassneck - don't take your hat off too early, we haven't done it yet! It will be a challenge but if we put both our minds together we will nearly have a whole normal one. In other words we know we are crazy but we just can't help it!
    Too much water - thought we might see you at Boddington, so hope to see you at Fairlands instead then. You'll love it - you will be really missing out if you don't do it.
    Have fun everyone.
  • i would have been at Boddington going for 4 hours but I have been training really poorly since April so can't do myself justice really.

Dropped out of the 50 mile challenge last week after 5 laps as I had a lot of knee pain.

Still I hope to have a good run on Sunday anyway.
  • Brassneck - you can definitely keep your hat on, Boddington 50k has been cancelled because of the weather, so we don't get to do our double - boo hoo.
    I hope Fairlands Valley will be able to go ahead, especially as it is cross country.
    Too Much Water - I hope you will be there but I hope there won't be 'too much water' if you get my drift? Boddington is a road race but the floods are so bad that people won't be able to get there. Hopefully by Sunday most of the water will have soaked away. I don't mind mud and water as long as we can get to the start.
    Fingers crossed everyone.
  • fingers crossed indeed.
    I have already got my train tickets to stevenage and I have booked a hotel room for saturday night so i hope there is no cancellation.
    O.K. One blue leg I will put my cap back on for now.
  • HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    I'm booked into the 12 mile option tomorrow - originally planned to walk it wearing lightweight running shoes, but the weather may make me revert to boots. I did this in 2003 and it was a lovely event.

However... if I have a map it will be with me. There was one LDWA event that required a 'turn right after the fence and left at the third tree' in the middle of a wood (which tree is the first tree?), which was obvious for locals and totally befuddling for all visitors - 9 of us were pointed in the right direction by locals. From memory I think Fairlands had good directions, but I was in a group last time so there was more than one brain working :-)

Good luck to all runners - the scenery can be lovely.
  • HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    btw. A short round walker at the back in a beekeeper hat will appreciate your cheery hellos as you go past :-)