HR Advice

TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
Hi, can any of you HR experts advise me if there are any laws on what an employee shoudl expect if they are asked to work in a different location for a number of months.

What costs should be covered? This guy has rented an apartment so the company will pay something towards that, what else should be covered?

Thanks
TS

Comments

• i would imagine some relocation benefit compensation to pay for an alternative gym or whatever he would be losing out on at home and have to pay extra to do somewhere different..........
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ballini, do you know if any of this is 'required by law' or if it is all just at the discretion of the company?
  • What did the person agree with HR, before they accepted the change of terms & conditions ?
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Nothing Dave, it's an ongoing situation which is being batted back and forth at the mo. Obviously the employee is expecting more than the company is willing to give him.

One of the drawbacks is that he is a Belgian National and their NI & tax is much higher but cost of living much cheaper. He is surprised at how much food/petrol etc costs here and is expecting some 'help' with that.
  • Really depends on (1) what is in employees contract of employment about working away from normal place of work and (2) any policies which company has in place.

I'm thinking that it sounds like it's not set out in either?

Sounds like the employee is covered by Belgian law if they're being paid there. Know nothing about Belgian law so don't know what provision there would be there.

In which case it would be by mutual agreement and should be agreed prior to the secondment.

The general rule would be is that the employee shouldn't be disadvantaged by their change of workplace. So it's a case of meeting the costs which they wouldn't have incurred had they been at home. Would cover rental/hotel accomodation, car hire (if that were necessary) and fuel for travel to/from work, gym membership if they had that at home but couldn't use as they were away (and couldn't get a refund). Food generally wouldn't be covered as you have to eat at home! Same with fares to/from work if they would have same at home.

That being said, I've been involved in loads of these and they're all a little bit different as people have different needs and things change depending on length of secondment (eg regular trips home).

Best get some sort of discussion going and get something down on paper or there will be trouble later.
  • i don't think that there is any "law" requirement - that would go under the contract and they may well say in the contract something that covers location...

my view on things like this is that the person should not be out of pocket so for instance - oh doh - read above post and he puts it quite nicely.

so i agree.
  • I is a girl, not a he Ballini ;-P