My Last Run

Comments

• This thread is quite motivating, i must agree.

5 miles of undulating suffolk countryside 42:25 - knees felt brittle after 17miler on sunday, so really pleased with my time, just went out to run, no pace.

Jogwatch; 1 poor old couple who's car had broken down and was being dragged on to a truck, 1 couple walking bulldogs, a few cars.

Saw a dead badger on sundays run, it looked like it had been stuffed, (ie not flatterned)!

• 5 miles in 36:42. 57 secs quicker than previous over same route.

Others running in the same area may include a Jogwatch about the twit they saw clip a speed hump with the sole of his left foot and end up on his backside...that was me. First thing I did when back on my feet? stop the watch. Just a couple of scratches to show for it.....and worse, having restarted run and watch...not knocking a full minute of the previous best at the end....Grrr!!!!

• Bad luck, David B - hope hurts are to pride only.

I managed a similar feat 3 years ago, tripping on one of those circular wire frames found on the inside of a wheel trim.  3-point landing at pace, blood everywhere, foul & abusive language to all who'd listen, but .... managed to stop the watch on the way to the floor!!

And, not counting the time on the deck, I went on to PB for the circuit.

• Yes. (thinking of that other thread) never mind looking like a runner it's stopping the watch in an accident and being more hurt by missing time than cuts and bruises isn't it. 
  • too right, David B, pain subsides but PBs live for ever.
  • Well done everyone.image

Dave B, I'm sorry but I had to laugh. Hope there's no lasting damage.image

Tuesday 11 September 2007 – 4:13 pm – Clwyds.

9.14 miles – 1:42:44.22 – 11:14 min/mile ave. – 2740 ft asc.– Mountain Bear Gladiators 1 (I think I have to concede defeat and retire these trusted shoes, they have served me well and will be sorely missed)

Jog Watch 0.

Considering I said I was having some time off, I had a cracking run in the Clwyds again today. 

I basically ran the Clwydian Hills Fell Race course but cut out “the gully” section, well I think it’s the course I can’t find my map and I’m going from memory (which isn’t brilliant and even with maps I get lost).

Overall pace was slower than yesterday but I don’t care, it is a tough little run but I thoroughly enjoyed it, battling with heather, gorse and ferns, sinking in a bog, kicking up sheep poo, there was an awful lot of that about today.  Even the last little bugger of a climb back to the car park was conquered.

Yeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!image

• Tuesday 11th

3.59km, 16:36.93

Rather late yesterday. I only had half an hour to get out before dinner - it was hardly worth it, but the legs needed a little shake out after Monday (feeling a bit stiff, and sore achilles), so a short steady run was all I could muster.

Changed in lightning speed, then off down the lane, over the ford, stopping just short of the main "B" road, then heading straight back. The sun was falling rapidly, so the sky looked brilliant and the hills seemed to glow - very inviting.

Jogwatch 0, tractors 4, baler 1, horse+rider 1

Nice one David B - I've done something similar a few years ago - fell into a metre deep hole on a twilight run (kids had pinched the cones and tape - perils of running in the town)

• 0545  5 miles flat in Crosby in the half-light, without even a sunrise to enjoy.  dry and calm.

Jogwatch: 2    -    we all met on the same corner by a roundabout  image

• yesterday, 8,9 km in exactly 53 min.

My regular asphalt (because it's dark outside) loop, close to the flat. Did three laps of 2260 m and 2100m from the flat to the loop and back. Everything was fine but during the last lap I started to feel my left knee and ankle. I think it's because I severely twisted it two years ago and also broke a radius bone 9 years ago.

Running on asphalt takes its toll. I rarely feel them when I run off-road. Nevertheless, I hope it won't smear my oncoming running season and I reach my major goal: 4 hours of steady running per week and no cycling.

• Wow there are some good times here.

Last run - last night - quick 5K - 32.57 mins.

(Quick?? I hear you say) This may seem to most of you like a snails pace, but for me that was best time yet over this distance. Bearing in mind I usually run at about 11.5 to 12 min miles, this was average of 10.38 mm - so pretty pleased with that.

Nice little route, twice round my local hilly park, then slight downhill for second mile, then the final mile was a low grade uphill. Loads of sporty types in the park, people with babies in the play area, tennis courts were full - altogether a rather nice time to be out for a short run.

Jogwatch - 7

• Tue 11 Sept

5.13 miles in 51 mins 9.56 min/mile

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

My GNR training is taking it's toll (this is the first time I've pushed my body like this and at 30 it's starting to feel like I started too late!!).  My knees started aching before I'd done a mile and my left hip & thigh twinged all the way round but I think that was not stretching enough before I left.

Apart from that it was a pleasant evening.  I was pleased with my pace, although it should have been an interval session but I didn't have the energy in the legs for speed after my first ever 11 mile run last Saturday.

Jogwatch - it was a bumper evening with 11 of the buggers! Got hello's from about 9 of them even the deadly serious man who has ignored me the last 2 times we met.  He must have realised that I'm *ahem* hardcore and not just a one week wonder :lol:

• 8miles of sunny suffolk 1hr 8:56

Jogwatch 0 , baby rabbits 1 (sat in the middle of the road and didn't budge, no it wasn't dead!&nbspimage, o.a.p. ramblers 7, huge caterpiller tractor 1.

• ..er, i didn't put that smiley in, i'm not that sick!
  • What wouldn't I give to see even a dead rabbit?

Third run in a row ina built-up area. Concrete watch: Bloomin' everywhere.

4 miles in 33:30. Not a bad time for me. I was pleased to see the time because I didn't feel comfortable the whole way around and felt much slower. A bit of progress maybe.

Jogwatch: 5 exhausted, middle-aged, fat blokes, which made 6 of us in total.

• Wednesday 12 September 2007 – 4:22 pm – Clwyds.

5.02 miles –57:23.65 – 11:25 min/mile ave. – 1225 ft asc.– Mountain Bear Gladiators 1 (resurrected the Glads for one more run as I couldn’t retire them with 598.8 miles on the clock – to be honest now they’ve dried out and on further inspection they might have a few miles left on them)

Jog Watch 0.

Definitely time for a break, struggled round an otherwise lovely run. The legs felt very tired and unresponsive.  Not entirely sure my route back down to the back lane was legal in regards to open access land but it sure was fun.image

Have fun, keep up the good work, I'll be back in a few days.image

• imageHey everyone, how are you all? Your running is looking GOOD! image

12/09/07 5.6m 52.14
    Today I ran with a club for the first time. I wanted to see what it was like. A great experience with like minded people of on tonight's showing, not to dissimilar. My time was approximate because I didn't know when I was starting or quite when I was finishing but it will do. I am sure it was quite a reasonable pace. I could have run faster. I think this is what is called an easy ruin. The reason being I was straight back and able to chat four words a breath. I couldn't do that on my normal solo efforts.
    The distance though was from a fellow runners Garmin. It is ironic that I join a club 34 miles away and they run part of my usual route?! Great night and thanks for letting me tow along

Jog Watch - 8 (only us)! 

• 5miles 42:56 day off tomorrow, hurrah!...going to see ex, oh image

Jogwatch: 0, Pidgeons 1, a few cars

• 12th Sept 8 miles (woooooo!)

Training for the GNR so desperately trying to get the miles in so did an 8-miler and was practically hobbling at the end! Still, felt great to have done it and went to bed feeling v pleased with myself. But then I woke up at 5am in extreme pain from my legs! Aching all the way down, particularly in the shins image Got up and limped about until the nurofen kicked in but it doesnt bode well!

What is jogwatch? Is that how many other joggers you see while out?

• That's it in one, Danni.  Long, warm baths and then ice packs wrapped in tea towels - greener and better than drugs imo

Check cushioning in your shoes; run off road if you can - parks, trails playing fields

most of all, rest

• the same route as on Tuesday but 30 seconds faster and it felt easier for my legs.

I guess the process of "bedding in" of my legs is going well image 

• Club run this evening. Back on the roads again until May image

9km, 44:15. Easy run, as club runs usually are. The first couple of miles was very easy, with everyone chatting, then picking up the pace a bit, but still chatting ( but not as fluently). The final couple of miles was faster still - conversation a bit more limited. Not really a continuous run as we doubled back periodically so no-one was on their own for very long.

The route was quite a pleasant one. The first 2.5k or so along a main A road, then along a private estate/farm road to Ludlow castle and finishing with a mixture of road and sheep fields. By the time we had stretched down it was pretty dark.

Next week it will be reflective bibs and running around the town to take advantage of the street lights.

Jogwatch 8

• image Some great stuff from you all out there image

14/09/07 7.7m 1.13.12 c 875 AHR 151 MHR 240 F 45g
    As we haurtle towards black mornings I poked out my head again this morning at about 5.30am A bit chilly, dark blue sky and bright yellow street lights welcomed me to my morning run. I thought I'd retaliate by going the seven and three quarters route to prove I am not afraid! ther seemed to be quite  a small number of people milling about but generally it was quieter. I think everyone is staying in bed longer. I tried to run all the way with a smile and I think I managed it. everyone got a hello today. One thing I noticed was that the new pavements up Swakeleys Road near the A40 are so uneven and the manholes are raised, very dodgy. You pay all that council tax, you would think they would do the job properly!

Jog Watch today was 2!

Keep the faith! 

• Not sure if I'm allowed in here but:

Did my 2nd race ever (since school -now 32!) on Sunday - Lanhydrock 10k. Started running about 3 months ago and did a local mega cross country race (mud, streams, big hills, stiles,etc!) in 52m27s and 43rd out of 171 - Okay but not great. 

Trained a bit harder this time and despite  a marshal error leading the front 8 (me included!) the wrong way, costing us a good 1-2 mins, got 44m07s and 5th out 700.

Wife's uncle even took a half decent pic (me in mostly black about 30m from the finish line)!

My legs suffered BIG time though - Still slightly aching and the 5k trail run last night was hard work!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/sutherlandm/MatthewS1-1.jpg

Think I might consider myself hooked! 

• I haven't been able to go out running for 5 days now and my legs are aching from not being used! I was just considering running around the library, but as I was eyeing up the aisle with a little too much pleasure I caught the librarian glancing at me worriedly.

I tried running on Sunday, but I've been putting in such long hours recently that they refused to work, maybe all of this sitting down surrounded by paper will be a good break for the legs, shame about the damage to the eyes though!

So I've taken to reading this thread every few hours, dreaming about getting out there again. I guess my point is - keep running and keep writing about running, you really do inspire so many people! (and keeps me entertained through the dark hours!)

Thankyou!

Pan.

• Welcome, Matt. Your debut efforts look far from shabby - I'd kill for a 10K. in 44 min.

Just back in from the Wirral and a 6.5 mile trail run from Wallasey, over Bidston Hill, with a splendid panorama of Liverpool waterfront and the Mersey estuary to enjoy, through Wallasey Ladies' Golf Course and up to the windmill on Bidston Hill by the easier route. From there, it was down through the woods and rhododendrons to the farm near Bidston Hall, over the railway line and along path and cycleway to Wallacre Rec. A gentle stroll back to the car completed our efforts and we were pleased with 53 minutes, talking all the way round.

Jogwatch 1
  • I have not been on for a while. Its great to hear about everyones running. It is a real motivator. Some of the distances you guys clock up are impressive. So I thought I would push myself a little further and clocked up 13km on a run last weekend. My longest distance ever!!! Marathon here I come! Did it in about 1:20.

Did a easy (does 'easy' mean 'taking it easy' or 'pah! easy peasy') 6km run the next day. I was slightly distracted by a fat bloke eating a mars bar (seriously!) deciding it would be hilarous to run along with me, shouting 'c'mon lady c'mon runnn!' I was a bit rude to him. Best not repeat it!

Did 10k on the way from home from work and really pushed myself hard for the last 1k. Still only managed 55mins - could do better. Was a bit disappointed. Can I just say though a pizza at the end of a 10k tastes marvelous!

Ran with a group from work. Lovely evening in the park. An easy(?) chatty 5k.

Thats it so far. KK - hope you are on the road to recovery. Happy running all
    x
  • Back earlier than expectedimage

Saturday 15 September 2007 – 3:20 pm – North West Counties Road Relays – Sefton Park.

3.25 miles –18:57.65 – 5:50 min/mile ave. – 87 ft asc.– Nike Vaporfly.

Jog Watch – 10+ (not including the racers)

Today was the North West Counties Road Relays in Sefton Park, Liverpool and as I was resting I thought I’d go and cheer on my club mates.

I had previously said I’d do this but that was before I’d run my marathon so I made my excuses and pulled out. But with only a few minutes to go the fourth member of the B team hadn’t turned up so I volunteered to run the last leg.  So I ran back to the car as a warm up got my racers out the boot where they’ve been since Wolverhampton and borrowed a sweaty vest off someone who’d run on leg 2 and I was set to go. 

I did have a time in mind, but I wasn’t overly concerned about matching that as I knew I wasn’t 100% but to my surprise I wasn’t that far off and ran a very even race (lap1 = 9.29.10, lap 2 = 9.28.54) and really enjoyed it.

The two lap course inside and on the external path of Sefton Park was pretty flat and the wind was harder work than any of the slight inclines.  All in all it was quite a pleasant day out in the end.

I wasn't planning on going out until Monday so I might put back restarting properly until Tuesday now, but to be honest there is no real need to put it off as my resting heart rate is back to normal and has been since at least Tuesday.  We'll just have to see how I feel.

Good running people, keep it upimage

• 0800 this morning and off to the famous "Squirrel Woods" at Formby Point. Quite a chill in the air but fine and dry for a varied circuit on the wonderful forest trails, over the dunes, up the beach and back over Ainsdale dunes to cross Formby Golf Course and follow the Fisherman's Path parallel to the railway line to Freshfield Station and thence back to the National Trust car park where we started. A steady hour and 6.5 miles or so.

Truly, if your will to run is flagging, find a forest or wood and explore. The wildlife, sounds, surfaces and textures will revive you and not an SUV or MPV in sight image

Jogwatch: 1 (MV70)
    Red squirrel watch: 3
    Rabbit watch: 3
  • 8 miles 1hr 13, carrying my clothes in a bag (won't do that again), ran to my mum & dads for a BBQ, thought about running back, but had too many sherbets image

Jogwatch 0

• Marshalini - thata a pretty impressive run for a spectator!

Two runs this evening - not as good as it sounds.

2.5 km with Mrs and dog, in 15:12, then 5.9km home, mostly off road in 29:18. (The important members of the family drove home.)

Both runs were really enjoyable. Brilliant sunshine and perfect temperatures. Met two groups of sociable dog walkers, which our lab enjoyed. A relaxing run home, admiring the view and dodging the sheep. The fields and lanes are teeming with pheasants at the moment, so the dog is getting plenty of fartlek practice.

Jogwatch: 1 + K9

walker: 5, dogs 7

Pheasants & rabbits: dozens hares: 1