Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options

imageHello Allimage

Kev - I don't think anyones posts are more boring than mine, keep up the good work.

Monday 2 October 2007 – 12:10 pm – Clwydian Hills.

8.85 miles –1:46: 02 – 12: 00 min/mile ave. – 3021 ft asc.– Mountain Bear Gladiators (2).

Jog Watch  0

I had planned to do a 3-3.5 mile easy trail run today but at the last minute decided to do a longer, harder, hillier run over the Clwyds.  Took it relatively easy, but that kind of run just isn’t easy.  The weather was glorious and I was stripped to the waste after about a mile. Found a really nice line down to the reservoir even though I was up to my knee in a bog at one point.  But to counter that I took a really bad line down into the valley and due to my near nakedness I got scratched to bits crashing through gorse bushes, Ouch! After that I was confronted by “the Gulley”, this is an evil little climb and reduced me to a walk/stagger/scramble, one day I will run this all the way!  Once over the top it’s a nice run back to the car and I took it pretty easy.

Magical run in the Hills. Life is greatimage

imageHappy againimage

• Options
    Ooopsimage wrong day there, should read Tuesday 2 October.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Run "The Gulley", marshallini?  Are you totally superhuman?  Last time I ventured there, I needed pushing from behind just to keep my footing  image  image  You'll be ready for the Sandstone at this rate!
  • Options

Well done everyone, i agree with Neil, starting to feel fluid in my running (albeit i'm slow) and it feels great, natural. Hope i can keep my momentum up after my marathon.

5 miles 41:43

Jogwatch: 0, back to normal image

• Options
    4 miler round Nottingham. Quite a nice day for a plod I thought.
  • Options

5.4km!!! The furthest I have ever run without stopping. I'm getting there!!

I probably could have gone on a bit more too. Just goes to show that building it up slowly really does work.

Did it in 34 mins 47 secs. Quite pleased with that considering that the second and last km was a steady incline.

I'll stick to that rout for a couple of weeks, then up it another km! I'll be SO pleased with myself if I can run 10km without stopping.

• Options

Decided to attempt a run to work this morning Dartford to Greenwich and chose the most direct, but v.hilly route.

Glad I did though, apart from the 1st 2 miles the rest felt great and I even managed both the BIG hills without having to stop (I can't even do one of them on my bike!).

The total run was 9.3 miles and I managed it in 1:31 so quite happy with that. Probably won't be doing it too often though as the air quality was poor in London traffic jams.

Proud of myself today though - KEEP ON RUNNING

• Options

Oh yeah Jog Watch was - 0

Diana Campbell 2 - Slow and steady definately wins the race, that's how I have built my mileage up, when I started last Dec/Jan I could barely run a mile without stopping.

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

0545 and I was stood up by my regular running chum.  she had a terrible cough yesterday morning after posting 1 hr 35 for the Great North Run - not too shabby for a FV50 - and i reckon nature had taken over and ordered her to sleep through the alarm.

i found a different route through the quiet, dark streets of Crosby and Brighton-le-Sands.  The air was warm and still and the streetlights were giving up their amber glow as the sensors cut in.  pleased with the relaxed nature of the run and the absence of pain.

around 5 miles, around 40 minutes

Jogwatch: 0

• Options
    Ooh that's very encouraging Kev Hall. To run 9.3 miles would be such an achievement for me!
  • Options

You'll get there - I'm no expert so taking advice from me should be labelled 'Listen with Caution'.

My advice would be that adding little by little is the way to go and even if you get to the end of run/set distance feeling good, don't be tempted to do any extra. This is the time when you are most likely to get injured (in my opinion). You'll be amazed at how the little bits start adding up.

I am still amazed that in less than a year I have gone from not being able to do 1 mile without stopping (at least twice) to running to work on a Weds after running a 17 miler a couple of days before. I was really unfit too, when I started running having not done anything for several years, I used to get out of breath running up the stairs.

You can do it! Just remember there will be days when you don't feel so good or don't fancy going out, you just have to get yourself out there and work through it.

I'm sure the support on this site will get you to where you want to go.

• Options

About 20 minutes ago, 2.8 miles, didn't time it and didn't care as it was my first run after the GNR.  I wore my t-shirt with pride.  Shame it was a quiet jog watch night and it was getting dark as no one could see it!

Legs felt a bit heavy but my mind and my lungs were loving it!

I planned to give the running up after Sunday as my knees have been playing me up......but I can't......so I'm going to get my gait analysed (something I should have done a while ago) to see if they can find out why.

And then I'm going to buy some new running gear as I am clearly going to need it image

Diane 2 - well done on the 5.4k image

• Options

8 miles 1 hr 16:01

Felt hard, probably why it was much slower than of late. Got home, and found my schedule only callled for a 5 miler. Wont hurt though.

Peacocks sitting on farm fence, quite a supprise when your not expecting it: 1

• Options

image Out with the club tonight image

3/10/07 - 5.86m 50.48 

Another run out with the H&H Runners. I started off briskly enough. I thought mm I am quite good. That was probably up to about a mile then I was left for dead along the Stockley Road. I carried on regardless and tried to keep up with the front runners but to no avail. I followed the route from last time and went solo up Lees Road then up the Uxb R then down Harl Rd back to the club. A nice brisk run, only the last few hundred yards did I feel bad but overall a great run, I enjoyed it. I must try to run with the front runners more as i can only get faster. This was three minutes faster than last time, Excellent!
    The jog watch was nonw other than us!

You are all amazing!

• Options

Long run today

35 mins 2.79 miles

Bit strange, as the last time I did that route, it was 2.88 miles, and this time I ran at least 100 yards further to get my time to 35 mins.  Damn GPS!

Anyway, I suppose I'm pleased with it.  It was supposed to be a slow run, and it certainly was that!  I had the usual 10 minutes of mental issues, but once I got to the bridleway section after 15 mins, I was quite enjoying it.  I seemed to recover so quickly that maybe I didn't put enough effort in?  Still, I shouldn't complain.  A couple of months ago I would have given anything to be "not so tired" after 35 mins non-stop!

Wasn't happy about the fact that I trod in some dog poo at some point, so my trainers are now underneath my car in the work carpark...

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭

Ewww Sazza - too much information image

I have not run since my long run on Sunday so I needed to get off my ar$e and get out there today! It is like summer again today - warm and still - unfortunately I didn't realise that till I was out there and got a bit warm in my long-sleeved top! Lovely day though and feel much better for having done an easy, low heart rate 8.5 miles round the roads of Eastbourne and along the seafront in 1.37 image feeling pretty happy image

• Options

5 miles 42:29 Bread and butter run, think im still recovering from sunday. lovely sunshine.

• Options

Good running everyone!

God I feel so envious of you all!image

Yesterday evening, waiting with sore ankle for first of two buses to take me on a long, protracted journey to a destination not that far away.

Jogwatch: ooh, about 20!  Really wished I could have been one of them!  Oh well, it won't be forever....

Keep it up everyone!  But don't step in any more poo.

• Options

That reminds me - I haven't had a chance to clean the poo off yet!  Had to scoot up to London straight after work.

Jog watch in Hyde Park - loads! 

• Options

image what a glorious morning! image

05/10/07 - 7.82m 1.11.07 c 858 AHR 149 F 45g

Back to an older route today. I wanted to have a bit of speed. Although this is longer than the present usual route through Ick, it does tend to be quicker. i supose due to Park Rd, Long Ln and down Court D but then I have to go up three bloody steep hills to enable to get down them! It didn't fail me as this felt so good this morning, a truly wonderful run. Cold no doubt about that but I son warmed up and had I worn a hat and gloves I would have fried. The stretch along Hercies Road to Honey Hill now has ben tarmacced three quarters of the way up which is great. Best bit today had to be the descent of Long Lane, I must have sprinted a good 100, 150 metres. Fabbo! I'm not going to leave it so long for this route again. No joggers today, never mind.

• Options

Changed my route slightly last night so it can be rounded up to 6km.

Thoughly enjoyed it. Even the awful 2nd km which was all uphill!

36.53 image

I really have caught the bug now!! 

• Options
    oh and jogwatch - blummin' 4!!!
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Overslept  image  Now out of favour with running chum.  Crosby Marina, up the promenade, tide coming slowly in.  right past Crosby Baths and climbing steadily for a mile or so into Croby Village.  finally, the welcome 1.25 miles downhill gently to Waterloo and my squalid garrett.  5 miles or so in 39 mins - set me up for the day!!

Ice on windscreens but none on the paths.

Jogwatch:  0

Blokes having a ciggy outside paper shops:  2

• Options

Friday 5 October 2007 – 1:15 pm – Clwydian Hills Fell Race course.

9 miles –2:23:42 – 15:58 min/mile ave. – 3100 ft asc.– Mountain Bear Gladiators (2).

Jog Watch  0

Glider watch 2 

My quads were really sore after Tuesday’s run which was quite strange as I’ve done similar runs and worked much harder than that recently, but it still forced me to have a day off, which turned in to two. 

Any way went back to Cilcain today with two workmates to run the same course again (with a few extra bits where I retraced my steps to join up with the others) 

We started off at a very leisurely pace and they seemed to be doing ok for the first two climbs but I was leaving them for dead on the descents. The third long drag of a climb had them both reduced to walking so I joined them.

The pace after that was very pedestrian and I gave them the option on more then one occasion to cut it short but one of them was adamant that we do the whole thing.

So off down to the Gulley it was. I tried to find a better line in to the valley today and although it was a completely runnable it was too high up the valley to be of any real use.  Because I had been taking it easy at their pace I was feeling fresh at the bottom of the Gulley and as we came in a lot higher up I’d cut out all the gentle climb before the proper climb starts and I had to wait a few minutes for them to get down to me, I was all set to have a proper crack at running the whole thing.

So off I set at a very easy pace and was making good ground, but I eventually succumbed to fatigue and stopped, took a 20 second breather and then set off again and ran the rest all the way to Jubilee Tower, where I bumped into two of the people I did the 3 peaks challenge and had a good chat while I waited for the others to catch up.

As we regrouped on the summit of Moel Famau a glider was soaring overhead and was waving at us, which was nice.

So a very pleasant day out and I now know the Gulley is deffo runnable. image

imageimageimage

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭

Nice one Marsh!

I have been struggling for motivation just recently - only one run of 8.5 miles so far this week. Almost didn't get one in today as too dark to go out by the time I gave it any serious thought. So I went to the gym and did 3.4 miles on the treadmill - at least I am into double figures for the week! image

• Options

just got back from todays run...feeling good.

my 5.5mile usual route. about three miles of that is out on a contry road with lights 300 yards apart or so at every other house. if you look at the time of this post you'll see why im making sense lol. (i love running at night.)              

got of to a good start then just let my legs take me the rest off the way. even though i've got a slight cold,I could still smell all the beautiful offerings that Autumn represtents.

+plus the hour before the run was spent updating my ipod shuffle with some classic tunes which had long been forgot.   Peaceimage.

• Options

image A real toughie but I did it! image

That was hard work. The second time out at a half marathon distance and it was harder second time around, maybe as I had run just under 8 miles yesterday morning. However the feeling of actually achieving the distance is great though nonetheless.
    The run started off down my street with me startling Pete Anderson who was coming out of his front door, I just said "morning Pete" at just before 6.00am. The whole run into Ruislip was under a dark sky which became lighter as I passed down Sharps Lane with now daylight coming out at the other end.The rest of the run was noticeably slower than last time, maybe because the excitement of the first being changed to going through the motions so to speak.
    No problems this morning and I look fiorward to the next run.
    Jog Watch - 2

06/10/07 - 13.47m 2.16.17 c 1,667 AHR 156 F 83g

marshallini, how do you do it so often? B, just go out side and run! image

• Options

9.00 this morning, 30 mins steady run.  2.42 miles

Nice!

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭

Welcome Jr - I hope you don't look like your avatar, at that time of night you could give someone a fright image

Thanks iRUN - been out today and was great. Did 7.6 miles in 1.20.29 including 4 x 1 mile sustained efforts along the seafront. When I started I felt sure I would only be able to do 3 x 1 mile efforts, but I did all 4 - not possible to keep my heart rate in the 150s as was suggested to me, so did 160s and it felt surprisingly good. 9.18 (into the wind), 8.58, 8.45, 8.33. I have a 5 mile race in Brighton next weekend and am really looking forward to it now image