My Last Run

Comments

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Blimey Cal! I'm doing the Stortford 10 in July. I've done it before and it's a great cross country route, and pretty near to home. 10 miles is probably my favourite distance.  Otherwise it's our league matches for the club, which are mainly around 5 miles or 10k. And a track 5000m which I got a huge PB for last year. So gotta try that again! And considering Pleshey Half in the autumn.  I want to mainly do shorter distances and continue to work on my speed throughout the summer- I'm not a summer runner really.

Also I've entered the Serpentine 1 mile open water in September, so I aim to get down to Stoke Newington reservoir and try some open water swimming. Oh and my first triathlon in June image

Andrea, great time. I'm yet to crack 25 minutes on a park run, although I can do it without too much bother in other 5k races... I haven't done a park run in a while, so maybe that could be another summer target.

Gotta love this post marathon high eh image

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Not ran much last week, but did the Ashford and District, Podplus Half Marathon last Sunday, and did a decent 2hr time, then in the week only managed around 3 miles as I was painting in Southern Spain all week! So was quite surprised to get a PB at Brighton Marathon yesterday, my 14th marathon in 14 months! managed a decent 4:35 ! superb marathon and atmosphere,  really great day! image

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/13006723_10153633429717476_319720169538573536_n.jpg?oh=2ba77b6f641823c19b7c25cc80f06f14&oe=57B4FB4B

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Great time - cool photo. image

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

thanks Swittle! image

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well done Dan! So do you recommend it as a marathon? I've heard there were a few hassles with things like toilets and leaving through the funnel afterwards, not to mention the number pick up. However, I need to pick a marathon for next year (assuming I won't get into London again).

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

It's a big city marathon and there will always be headaches trying to accommodate the huge amount of runners and people spectating. The number pickup is a little bit of a pain, but it's definitely one to run, once in your life at least! The route is great, the spectators are so friendly, supportive, the whole area comes out to cheer, shout encouragement and give out food and sweets, it's the most positive of all the marathons i have ran, i love the atmosphere. So i think in terms of the actual run itself, it's one of my top marathons, once you start moving, the niggles and quirks of the event organisation disappear! I just saw it all as part of the challenge...the finish area was a bit congested, funnelled through tiny spaces...i ended up walking nearly 3 more miles to reach my car, so a 29.2 mile for me! image

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Well done Dan!!

Me- back to the Tuesday 6 am speed sessions- and it was a pyramid this morning. Enjoyed it
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Speed at 6am sounds a bit intense, Nessie!

I was out at 7.30 today though, and my easy six miler turned into a sort of tempo. Glorious blue skies and sun with blossoms galore, so I really enjoyed it.

Splits were 10:06, 10:06, 9:32, 9:59, 9:15, 9:39. Yoga later.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Out on the beach just before 7 this morning for me - sunny, still, with just an edge in the air.

Not-A-Streak stands at 112 days, with 461 miles so far this year.  Not far, not fast - and not injured!  image

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

That's good news, swittle!

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful post by swittle image

Me- 6 ish miles in beautiful muddy Epping forest. We found the secret bluebell wood. What a treat!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Thanks, Cal and Nessie.  Running's my non-prescription drug! image

A carpet of bluebells always lifts the spirits!

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Yesterday was a lunchtime tempo session in the forest again.  Less mud, more rats image

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I often see rats on Tooting Common. They don't really bother me - my ex used to keep them as pets.

Parkrun cherry has been popped, finally! My official time is 27:48 - not blisteringly fast but not bad for two weeks post-marathon. I was pleased with the pacing. Mile splits (I don't like KMs, I'm old) were 9:12, 9:07 and 9:03. I have a 55:19 10K PB so I can definitely do better, but well, it's not bad for a first try so I'm reasonably happy with that. It'll be good practise for next month's 10K race.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal!

JT- VLM tomorrow??? If you're lurking, very best for tomorrow. Run strong and enjoy it! I am excited to be going to support- what an atmosphere!

Me- 9 miles this morning which turned into a progression run when I realised an hour into it that I'd gone a little further than I'd thought, and needed to leg it to get back in time to pick up my daughter from ballet image
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

6 miles seafront run today, taking it gently from brighton marathon last sunday, will keep the mileage low as have a 50km jungle trek in Vietnam soon, and thinking of doing the Weald Ultra 50km when i get back...i have marathon withdrawal ! image

• Just catching up here.  First off, massive congrats to all those who finished spring marathons over the last couple of weeks.

I'm glad the ladies enjoyed Manchester but tales of shambolic organisation hardly come as a surprise.  Sadly, given that it's on my doorstep, I won't run this race again.  Having now found out that I didn't actually complete a marathon in 2013 and 2014, i'll never be able to forgive them for making such a ridiculous and fundamental error.  I feel desperately sorry for anyone who had trained for and run that as their only marathon, only to have it taken away from them.  Scandalous really.

Ness - big PB!  Brilliant stuff.  Not quite like London though eh?  Those long, bleak stretches through Carrington in the latter stages are a real test of your metal aren't they?   The sub 4 must surely be within grasp now? Glad you enjoyed it though and glad that they got the bloody distance right for this one image

Cal - Brilliant effort and huge congrats on finishing your first marathon.  Maybe not your last?  It sounds like you had a properly tiring day though!

Dan - 14 marathon in 14 months?  You're an absolute nutter, in the nicest possible sense.  This habit must cost you a fortune!  Well done on the PB, great effort.

As for me, my London experience nearly didn't happen.  After being injury free all winter, I pulled a muscle in my back on Wednesday and that stopped me doing any more taper runs.  Even on the morning of the race, I didn't think I would be able to complete it.  I somehow did though and with very little bother by my back (it was my left calf that seized up at mile 18 instead!!).  I was hoping to do a sub 2.55 to get in to New York but did 2.55.30, a 7 second PB, ha ha.  A great weekend in London all the same (although bloody freezing this year) and I think I managed to talk myself into doing it all over again next year.  I love marathon weekend in the capital image

Great running all.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    A late congrats to SB, Ness and Cal for all the marathon antics. You should be very proud of these achievments. I'm guessing you had me and SB mixed up in your pre-VLM post Ness. As you know I am a sullen misery unwilling to engage in any public participatory event.

Have been generally tardy and out for a bit with a weird stomach injury. Ran today though and saw a heron.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Haha did I say you JT? Of course I meant strangely. I do know the difference image

Strangely, excellent race report and very well done. An impressive run - even more so considering your injury. A PB is a PB! It was my left calf that sabotaged me too... I was at mile 9- Canada Water- supporting and freezing my tits off on Sunday. Managed to miss virtually everyone I knew :-/

I liked Manchester, ran the correct distance and avoided the bag chaos- and I strategically placed my son and nephew at mile 20 - the really depressing part- so that got me through.. But so many cock ups!!

JT- am intrigued by weird stomach injury?? Running related?

Me- did hills on Monday night- unplanned but great- 5 reps of the big un.

Less than 12 hours later was a 6 am speed session- 8 reps of a poorly measured field - we measured 680m on our garmins- with the usual bunch of mad early birds. Was pretty knackered last night after swimming. So today I skipped the club.

Good running all
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Good to hear from SB and JT - I imagehave a weird stomach but I don't think it's injured.... 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well done SB! I don't think any of my lower muscles were happy during the last six miles of Manchester marathon. However, it was my left hip/groin/flexor stuff that was giving me the most grief. Odd considering it was the right one I injured. At least I found a solution to the chafing problem. Good old Vaseline. The fancy anti-chafe balm I'd been using was obviously useless.

Anyway, went out early (6.15am) for a run today, mostly because I was hungry and I wanted to get the run done so I could eat. Glorious early morning, but cold. I'd planned on doing three miles intervals but my breathing was off so I just did two. When I say my breathing was off, it felt as though I couldn't breathe deeply enough during the first couple of miles. I suspect tiredness (less than six hours sleep the last two nights) and/or possible low iron due to shark week.

Anyway, did two warm-up miles (10:22 and 10:26), fast mile (8:44), recovery mile (10:45), fast mile (8:46) and the last half a mile at 10:47 pace to cool down. Whilst I have run faster mile intervals before, I'm fairly happy with that given I'm only two and a half weeks post-marathon and, well, the other factors mentioned above. It's a start.  Now the trick will be to run at that speed for three miles without stopping so I can get a sub-27 park run. image

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

An invigorating four miles of trail, path & beach near Crosby in the fading light, also being enjoyed by a selection of walkers, dogs & cyclists.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Lovely running image I am running often atm- Thursday tempo of around 4 miles in the forest, with many rats. Friday another 4 in between chores based around the youngest's birthday treat today. Then 8 miles progression run this morning before the ice skating for her 8th birthday. Have a house full of very AWAKE 8 year olds, and a belly full of Chenin image
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Four seems a popular mileage multiple!  By the Marina, I sometimes see a wave of 20 or so suicide ninja rabbits image  Hope the T & D event goes well.... image

• Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    More overseas running for me! Up at 4am to run round the Ho Hoan Kiem lake in central Hanoi, Vietnam. Managed 4 laps, about 45 mins running. Such a insanely chaotic and busy place in the day and at this time of morning no traffic at all, but so many people out at the lake, walking, exercising and general fitness, including a large rave music aerobics. Even at 5am it was so humid and 26 degrees! Crazy run image
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Sounds fun! I did my second parkrun yesterday. Wasn't going to, but the weather persuaded me. Also unforseen was the fact I took nearly a minute off my PB and went under 27 minutes. 26:52. Finished second in my age category, too! Yeah, I'm a little bit chuffed.image

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Never a dull run for you, Dank-art!  image

Cal, that's a terrific Saturday morning success - well done!image

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Fine exotic running Dank-art. I went to Preston once...

Great 5k Cal.

8.2miles in 1hr2:30. Sunny and windy. Fine after a short lay off, but finding my feet again. Have been gyming quite a bit. Did something odd to my stomach during a 18miler a time ago. Or it could have been a mild gastric illness. Painful and burpy either way.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Great running Dan, Cal, JT. My wind tends to escape from the bottom when I run.image

Me- 7 miles easy and chatty in Epping Forest this morning with my friend
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Windy again, blowing in from the south east. I blame Ness.

Stopped to pet a couple of horses yesterday. One little one and one big one. They wandered over to the fence then pretty much ignored me. Hairy aloof bastards.

Today 8.7miles in 1hr3. It's not as warm as the weather reports keep saying. Horseless.