My Last Run

Comments

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello. It's been a while. Turbulent few weeks of running with two runs when I just had to stop because my body flaked out. Pace and stamina both down. I think, in part, I really struggle with humidity.

Anyway longest run for some time today. Mainly offroad 17miles in under 2hrs16. Felt pretty good for the first 10, but not quick. After that was a struggle, as has been the case of late. Nevertheless chugged round. Hot out and windy, but not so much moisture in the air. The route map looks not unlike the Live Aid logo.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

JT, humidity is tough. I took up Bikram yoga two years ago after tearing my calf and find that I can cope with the heat better now. It still has an effect, but it doesn't kill me like it used to.

Just as well as I ran a half marathon (training, not race) today in 20 degree heat with a good deal of moisture in the air. 10:30ish pace for most of it and then pushed for the last four miles to get a negative split. 2:14:37 total time (which is actually four minutes faster than my first ever half marathon back in 2011!)

Off on holiday on Friday so I needed to get this done as I have a half less than two weeks after I return.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Excited about the milestone swit...

Me- some swimming, some in the pool, some in the lake. Some running- 9 miles on Friday, 4 miles progression yesterday. A few days of nowt as the youngest emptied her gut from the bottom, then the top :-/
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Suddenly feels like summer. 11.2miles in under 1hr26, minus time stopped at a train crossing. Not too bad after yesterday. Lot of people about, which I quite like now and then. Saw an older couple out trying to cycle - gave the impression they'd never seen a bike before let alone ridden one.

Hi Ness, hope your daughter has stopped power evacuating from all directions.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

The later/earlier, the better for me - survived rather than thrived in heat. 

Good to see you back, JT, and logging ace mileage.  Spectacular poorliness from Ms Nessie minor.  image

8.30 last night: a rather disjoined 9 miles of quiite demanding off road; unsurprising, my best phase was up the beach. 

Couple of days to go: will keep you up to date.image

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Two hundred days of Not-A-Streak brought up with a warm, sweat drenched four miles round the lakes, dunes & up the beach.  More bearable at 9pm image.

Suppose it's a streak now.....

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Out at 6 and it was already very warm. Did 4 miles and called it a day.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Well done swit on the not streaking not milestone.

Hot as balls today. Out at 7am for 7.6miles in under 57mins. Went out again tonight for 6+miles. Air very warm.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Out at 7 this morning and it was already 24 degrees. I opted for a shorter run (around 4.5 miles) comprising of an easy warm-up mile, 8 hill sprints (well, sprints up an upward gradient - not really a hill), another easy mile, one flat out mile (8:16) and then a jog home. Very sweaty. Didn't want to be out any longer than that, honestly.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Risked the rumbling thunder and distant lightning at 7am to enjoy a much more refreshing & manageable 4-mile run to the lakes, beach & prom near Waterloo.  Detained by ball throwing for an almost GSD - he has a much shorter coat - and a brown & white sheepdog with blue eyes.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

I should think it's actually a streak now swit image Huge congratulations!  Tasty milestone there!

It's a bit hot out innit!!?

I've done a couple of 4 miles in the last couple of days, one of which was after sun down, which was an ace idea. Abandoned plans for my track session yesterday as the temperature read 34 degrees, and went for a swim instead, which was marvellous!

This morning- 8.5 miles quite early.  Still absolutely drenched within 5 minutes. I looked beautiful by the time I returned home 

We are off to Norfolk for a long weekend on Friday and the River Yare is at the bottom of our garden, so I have packed a wetsuit for some wild swimming, and some running shoes for some rural runs

• It's been a while, so I feel out of touch a wee... (forumwise & runningwise both)

I was on vacation you see, I took a tour of the Dalmatian coast & Venice, so I only had 3 5k sesssions in 26' on board + all the walking I did at every town we visited!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Sounds like you enjoyed your holiday, Hermes. I was in Venice last September. I got lost. image

Last run for a while (I'm off on holiday for 10 days) - 10 miles starting at 5.30am. A relatively sedate 1:44:24 but with a negative split. Legs are pretty achey after six consecutive days of running but I wanted to get as much in as possible before I went away. See you when I get back.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Ye, Nessie, it's outgrown its camouflage and a Streak it now is! image Enjoy your Norfolk break, Nessie: the heatwave was shortlived.

Welcome back, Hermes - you'll soon be back into it.

Ye, Cal, downside of Streaking is not having the important strategy of taking rest days.  Have a grand holiday! image

• Τhank you for your welcomes Cal & Swittle!

No wonder you got lost in Venice Cal, it is all tiny alleys and canals every 7 meters... Lovely though... I wouldn't mind finding myself lost in Venice were I on my own, let me tell you image

• Earlier today I run 8k (~5miles) free in the track

• 14k free run earlier on today.

Should I also mention that I went on a walkabout yesterday night... Walked 20k from my digs to the downtown, winding through the neighbourhoods of my town. Ended up at a very nice bar at the inner city where I did some refuelling!

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

A good mixture of paces and purposes, Hermes.  image

Out before 7am, unusually early for me at weekends.  Overcast but dry & fairly fresh.  10.2 miles round the lakes, coastal park, up the beach to the redundant coastguard station before switching back on the shore to find the shiftingly soft sandy trails on the way home.

• Hello all - are newbies welcome to pop in? Would be nice to have a place to log my (very slow) miles....!

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Welcome, BecksF - good to have you along.  Speed is relative - getting out to run is the key factor!  image

• Thank you! 5 very slow miles this eve, supporting my brother who has a bit of a shoulder injury. Good to feel I could have pushed on though.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello BecksF.

14.2miles last Fri and again Sat. Felt a lot more comfortable in the heat and decent pace. Had my camelbak. I'm a bit naive when it comes to water.

10.1miles mostly offroad today in 1hr16. Much cooler. Had to shoo a cow out of the way.
  • Hi you all!

Run for an hour yesterday at the track, did 4 strides towards the end!

• Morning all!

3 miles yesterday. Knocked 30 secs a mile off the same route in a week - hopefully means I'm getting fitter!

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

+1 to that, Becks. image

Last night's gardening had its revenge in the form of a aching back - which was strangely fine during my 4 miles of XC and sand hills this morning.  Breezy, refreshing but the sand doesn't get any easier to cover!

• Hello everybody!

Been an early bird today, and the early bird catches the worm, is what they say. I did not catch any, thank God for small favours...

Well, I run 9,5k (~6miles) at the track. Took me some 43' minutes.

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭

Hello

haven't been on the forum for quite a while, here's as good a place as any to restart...

14,95km in 01:21:27 this morning before it warmed up too much. 

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Welcome, HazelnutCH.  A very decent pace.  image

0730  My accustomed 40 minutes on paths, trails & promenade, heading up past Crosby Baths and returning via the beach.  Rather murky; a few drip drops of rain.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    A bit rainy today. Just under 10miles in 1hr14, speeding up as I went along. Had bad acid reflux for weeks. I think I've got a post Brexit stress ulcer.
  • Evening!

Ran in what felt like all 4 seasons today. 6.5 slowwww miles. Feels like running through treacle and get overtaken by every other runner. Sticking with it - at some point it gets easier right...?! 2 fairly decent hills in my run, managed it at about the same pace as I was managing 3 miles 2 weeks ago. Worrying that the HM is only 10 weeks away to get a bit quicker and up to distance!!