Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Some new faces here- Becks and Hazel: welcome from an old timer

Not been on here since a week ago. We went to Norfolk last Friday with a big extended family group of 12 including my mum. She fell very unwell while we were away so the long weekend was overshadowed by that, and although she's now home, and slowly on the mend, running is just a little bit of respite ATM.  Good to get the headspace but nothing much of interest to report.  Track session on Tuesday and an 8 miler this morning at a very slow pace but therapeutic.

• Options
    Q W233Q W233 ✭✭✭

It has been a few weeks since I last checked in - I've been doing 6-8km runs twice a week but have been struggling to find days to do it as due to football training I never quite have time to let my legs rest... as a result the times on those were, by my personal standard, rather poor as my legs were tired from previous exercise every  time.

That being said I am now back on track properly with my next half marathon coming up in just over 3 weeks time.

On Tuesday I ran 12km (7.4 miles) in 1:12:04

Today I did 18km (11.1 miles) in 1:51:24

Can't say either was easy in the heat but happy with the distance/pace - assuming I could keep the pace I had on the 18km today for another 3km I should beat the time on my previous (and first) half marathon by 5-6 minutes if I do well. It's nowhere near as hilly though so I'm looking forward to it.

Nessie - all the best to your mum, hope she gets well soon

BecksF - 10 weeks I think is plenty of time considering you now can do 6.5 miles, even if they're slow as you say. I had barely a month's worth of 'proper' training before my first half marathon - and on that note I do not encourage anyone to run one with so little training - and did it in 2:16, but it was the South Downs half marathon which many people suggest is extremely hilly (I can confirm that). But I'm not sure if you're aiming for a specific pace/time, my target was just to complete it and preferably not be in the last 100.

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Thanks Q. Becks, agree- 10 weeks is plenty. Add an extra mile or two to your long run every week. Don't worry about pace. As it's your first HM, you are guaranteed a PB anyway image

Only had 35 minutes to run today but did a mini hills session anyway

• Options

Hello co-runners!

Did 10miles street running yesterday!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

0930 today: 10.1 miles of XC, beach and very little road at all around Waterloo, Crosby, Burbo Bank and the beach.  Pleasantly warm and a surprising number of people, children & dogs enjoying sunshine and warmth with a gently breeze to keep it comfortable.  Tried to ignore & run through a likely shin splint issue.  Icing and warm water therapy has commenced.

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

We went for an impromptu wild camping night in Suffolk last night as mum had some respite care.  Bliss- watching the sun go down whilst eating proper fish and chips out of the paper and drinking alcoholic ginger beer with my family.  Crap night's sleep as our airbed had a leak and the youngest was cold, so three of us were cuddled up on the floor. But who cares really... Today after a sausage and bacon breakfast and aday on the beach eating Mr Whippy, I got home and squeezed in an easy 5 mile run which I'm not sure will negate the bad food from the weekend 

• Options

Struggling with the mental side of running at the moment - not entirely sure why or why I feel the need to walk all the time....

• Options

Nessie sounds like good times, and never mind that airbed leak!

as for meself, I did 9k (~5,5 miles) brisk track running. 6 strides towards the end.

Am in anticipation of my first tempo run since June. I even dread it... To  an expression of my mother tongue (translated in English), even the dogs will laugh at me! Hope my point is taken...

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

The food that never fails to cheer, eh, Nessie! image

BecksF: look at what you *can* do, rather than focus on what you think you can't.  If you're run/walking, trade a minute's running for a minute's walking.  Bad patches are all around and everyone runs into one now & then. 

Hermes: you'll have the last laugh on those doggies!  image

• Options
    Thanks all. 3.8 miles cross country tonight for a bit of a change.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Injured. Tendon problem I think. Could be the peroneal I tore a few years ago. Nothing so drastic this time. Stupid thing is I think it stems from turning my ankle weeks ago. Thought I'd got away with it but seems to have caused a weakness. Subsequent runs felt okay but last week awoke with my lower left leg feeling pretty chewed up.

Anyway, have been at the gym in the meantime but thought it worth risking a short run tonight. Not great. A firework display of shooting pains flying off in all directions. Masochistically completed the 4mile loop and am now icing my extremities.
  • Options

JT may be you have to have a doctor check it.

Swittle those doggies will be dragging me four different directions after the end of my tempo run, tomorrow or day after tomorrow image

As for me, I included 8x200meters progressively accelerated (45'' === 38'') in my 9k track run earlier today

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Sorry to read of the tendon trouble, JT.  image  Time to call in Dr Rest and Prof Fizz.

• Options

Back from holiday now (I returned on Monday) so Nessie, I'm trying to negate 10 days' worth of European fun fair, theme park and service station food.

I managed a lacklustre 4 miles on Monday but a much better 7.5 progression run today. Starting to feel a bit more like my old self.

JT, sorry to hear you're injured. Rest up eh? Swittle I'd tell you to rest but I know you won't. image

• Options

3 off road field miles last night. Not quite sure why I'm still finding it so tough.

• Options
    Q W233Q W233 ✭✭✭

15km on Monday which was really satisfying as it felt great, wasn't exhausted at the end, legs/breathing were fine. Really gave me a mental boost for the upcoming half marathon. Followed that up with a quick 5km on Tuesday in 26 mins, was a busy day so I couldn't do a longer one. Going to run a 10km tomorrow, hopefully 57-58 mins.

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

JT, keep us updated and try to rest mate. Cal, sounds like a fun holiday

Becks, try doing something else for a few days? Swim ? Cycle? Then come back to it- maybe you are doing too much running and need some variety?

Swittle- easy mate

Me- Tuesday I did my first ever aquathlon, and first organised open water event / in a wetsuit, at the White Water Rafting centre at Lee Valley. Bit of a disaster really. When I got there, I realised it was a small field of what looked like very experienced triathletes. The swim (600m) was slow and a bit laboured- I should have warmed up and I find open water swimming so psychological. Could never really find my rhythm. Then the run, which was two laps around the park, making up 5.5k, started well, and my first loop was bang on an 8 minute mile. But then a combination of poor signage, too few marshals, and my own incompetence, meant I ran the wrong way for the second lap, adding on about an extra kilometre. So I kind of gave up. Did finish, but was third from last. Oh well, at least it wasn't a DNF.

Last night I went for a very easy 6 miles in the forest with the running club, which was very enjoyable.

• Options

Glad to be able to have something to say again, it's been a couple of months since I last posted here. My physio has worked wonders with my injury (strained adductor) and I'm in much better shape now but still not fully fit. Nevertheless marathon training must go on and having had some quite dark times in the last six months I'm actually a little ahead of schedule now and with six weeks to go I finally hit the magic twenty mile mark today! I had a nice early start at 0530 and followed the route of my 17 miler a couple of weeks ago, along the coast and onto Hayling Island before returning the same way. A pace of 10.59 was much better than the plan which was around 11.20 but it did make the last couple of miles very tough. I'll hopefully be out again on Sunday for a short recovery with the next long run being next Sunday. 

After the struggle that was MK marathon I thought I'd do well to stretch my longest run to 15 miles in preparation for this one so I'm very happy with my progress.

• Options

Good morning everybody!

You did well Nessie, next time even better!

I run 8k (5miles) at the track earlier on today with 4k (2,5miles) in 15'47'', an introductory tempo run to start the "festivities"! Did not turn out as I feared, but more like I expected it. Pulse relatively high (by feeling, that is - I shall have to check out w/ my watch), but I could have kept up at this pace for a couple of more kilometers would I want to. 

• Options
    3 determined off road miles this eve - feeling positive!
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Good insight, Cal image  And I'm the first to advise rest when others are struggling.  Gone a bit easier this week and the shin pain's backed off.  Just glad to be running, compared with last year's 5-month hiatus. image

Q W233 - just the boost you need! 

Nessie, you're indomitable!  And PompeyMatt, there's life after injury for sure - good luck with your remaining prep.

BecksF: top marks for turning that mojo around!

• Options

Fantastic news, Matt! Having had a groin strain right in the middle of (my first) marathon prep I understand that relief.

Well done on the aquathlon, Nessie.

Good job everyone else.

26:33 parkrun today (PB is 26:20) which isn't bad considering a) I only got back from holiday on Monday (where I didn't run and ate a lot of crap food), b) it was very warm, c) I accidentally wore my tights back to front and d) I was stung on the wrist by a wasp during the first lap.

Thames Meander next Saturday and with a 10:30 start, it looks as though it is going to be very warm indeed. Bugger.

• Options

Hello everybody!

Roadrun around town for me earlier today. Run 11,5k (~7+ miles) in 55'

• Options
    Morning all. 7.25 hilly miles for me this morning. Training plan said 8 but I'm counting the hills as making up for 0.75 miles! Not quite as quick as Hermes though unfortunately...!!
  • Options

7 miles for me too! Was supposed to be easy but as I had a lot of energy it turned into a tempo. 1 hour 7 minutes. Hermes has us both beat. image

Half marathon on Saturday so now I have to take it easier.

• Options

Goodmorning all!

Cal, I did, indeed! By a few meters!!!!! image

Yesterday evening, due to lack of time, I did 7k (~4,35 miles) on a treadmill in about 32'. It was a progression run, from 11k/h to 16k/h.

Later yesterday evening, I've met with a couple of chums we hung around and had us a wee wine and a few chuckles!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

A tiny taper on the plan, Cal.  Glad you're feeling set to star!

Becks, if you did the maths, those hills would add some distance.  Good sesh. image

Hermes, it's great running to be around 8 min/mile pace. image

For me, a warm, blustery 10 miles, off road, XC & beach last Sunday; 3 miles recovery @ a very sociable pace yesterday, and 4 miles at 0730, sand hills beach, trails and a higher than usual Labrador count .

• Options

Good luck on Saturday Cal

back from holiday last week - didn't do too much running whilst away - had a nice jog along part of the course for the Jungfrau marathon (12,5 km).  I guess the more or less quick sprints involved in launching and landing a paraglider don't really count as training... image  Carrying 17kg uphill for an hour probably does though..

Since return:

5,5km in 00:30 on Friday to get back into it

Combi training run & bike on Saturday (7km in 00:39 and around 40km with around 1000 metres elevation gain)

Gentle mountain hike on Sunday with around 1400 metres elevation gain

• Options

Thanks Swittle - the hills aren't small either!

Still trying to work out training, 5x a week is a little too inflexible for me but I'm worried if I deviate I won't stick to it at all. Want to do as well as I can in the half in Oct but only on week 4 (of 11) and am due 2x3M, 4M, 6M and 8M this week! So thinking I may drop 1x3M and the 6M for swimming/exercise bike...? On the other hand im thinking if I stick to it as much as possible then I'll find the half easier surely? Ohhhh decisions decisions!!

Hazelnut - were you in the paraglider? I've always wanted to try it one day!

• Options
    Q W233Q W233 ✭✭✭

Went for a spontaneous run yesterday evening as I was bored (was meant to be a rest day). It turned out to be one of my most pleasant runs and I beat my pb for 7km with 5:29min/km average pace.

Also a 10km today (bit slower at 5:44min/km but still my 2nd best 10km time so far

Not sure where this sudden burst of pace has come from but it sure feels great and a nice prognosis for the upcoming 1/2 marathon - less than 2 weeks time now