My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    B4low - nice, did you run on the prom or the sand? One of my other interests, beyond running, is rollercoasters so I've visited Blackpool many times. Blackpool marathon might be a fun one to do (although it's Manchester and Liverpool for me this year).
    Hazelnut - hope not! I had to shimmy through the same window during Storm Doris to make the dish safe as it was on the verge of blowing into the downstairs neighbour's garden!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Can't beat bracing Blackpool, B4low!

I used to see marshallini at various races in the NW - he suffered a bad ankle injury, I think, a few years ago.  He's back running & I last 'saw' him on Fetch a few months ago.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Had a tiny window of time tonight so did just over 4 miles at tempo pace
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, Nessie.
    6 today - 2 warm-up, 4 MP (well, one was a bit quicker than that - legs got away from me!).
    Going to do some yoga later.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    5.30 am session was a pyramid- 1200, 600, 400, 200 then back up. Decent pacing, a few seconds quicker on the second bit. It's starting to get lighter a lot earlier now :-)
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    8 miles at tempo pace this evening.  A good run
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Bit quiet on here!? I've been doing a swittle and run every day this week. 4 ish miles progression with some nice progression today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My fault, Nessie - I'd have run but I got some sort of virus (sneezing, general feeling of malaise and weakness but without developing into an actual cold), so I did nothing for two days. That, apparently, is all I need to get better, as I felt reasonably well again this morning and ventured out for a gentle 4. Apparently, sitting on my bum for two days is great for the immune system but disastrous for the legs, because they hurt all the way around.
    I'm doing yoga later - going to have to be gentle with myself.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Enjoy the yoga and continue being kind to yourself Cal.
    Continuing with the swittle-esque theme of my week, I did 7 miles in the incredibly muddy Epping Forest this morning, with a friend. Perfect way to run through ankle deep sticky mud which managed to travel all the way up my back :-)
    Oh, and we put the world to rights :-) who needs alcohol, drugs, therapy, when you have a good friend and running??
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    The pyramids Nessie ran linked in with a programme on the WorldService about Machu Pichu.  I'm not sleeping very well and the radio can help.

My sister phone tonight and spotted I was a bit off clour in 2 minutes - her CPN recommendation was a call to the coomunity health team for an outpatient's appointment.  Could do without this atm but have to say my anxiety has been rising since Christmas.

Oh, yes: still Streaking: Day 436.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that swittle and good call from your sister.  It happens to most of us at some point, some more often than others. How soon can you get an appointment?
    I hope the running  helps to reduce some of the anxiety a little mate
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    That's kind, Nessie.  It's not a crisis job: I'll phone for an OP appointment Monday.  Could be a week to 10 days.

Ye, keeping running helps my head - when I stop, it's a bad sign.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hang in there, swittle. Have you tried yoga? The breathing seems to help a lot of people with anxiety.
    Nessie, good job on the muddy run.
    Lovely weather today - T-shirt weather! - so parkrun it was. I decided to do it as a tempo. Fell over quite spectacularly while I was warming up, which was both hilarious and embarrassing. More the former, actually, since I'm well past the age where I give a toss about what other people think of me.
    Ran around HM pace, which felt hard enough today. Left shin was particularly tight and grumbly. A girl from my yoga class spotted me and decided the last lap was a great time for a chat - just as well I wasn't trying for a PB.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was 5 miles at HM pace. Today a rest after a 6 day mini streak.  Well, did a HIIT session on the turbo trainer
    Swittle, carry on being kind to yourself
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I was supposed to do my last 20 yesterday but felt unwell again. But to make up for that, I had a lovely HM-length run in the sun today. Did it in just under 2:10, which would have been a PB two years ago! Felt pretty relaxed, too.
  • Errm where did the last week go to?  Lots to do at work, away for the weekend..

A virtual hug for swittle - I hope you feel better soon. 

Nice mini-streak nessie. 

Good idea not to overdo it Cal if you were feeling a bit off.  Hope you can enjoy the taper.

Wasn't 100 % myself last week, thought I was going down with a cold but it seems I fought it off again.  Womens' hormones didn't help.    Did almost all of my scheduled runs but cut one tempo one a bit short. 

The last one?  A 5km trot in a slow 38 minutes on Saturday in Austria.  The rest of the group I went skiing and paragliding with headed for the bar whilst I laced up my shoes.  Apparently the live music wasn't that good so maybe it was the right decision.    Ambled up and down a couple of steep hills in slushy snow and mud - loved it.  Very warm in the valley.

Got my number for Saturday's 15km race in the post today.   First race in 2017 for me.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Cal and Hazel
    Today's early morning outing was at 5.45 and dawn was already breaking beautifully in this part of east London.  5 x 1k repeats at my fastest pace for maybe a year, averaging 7.4mm. As usual a great start to the day with a small but perfectly formed group of like minded early birds
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the race, Hazelnut!
    Nice early run, Nessie. It'll be a bit darker again once the clocks change but eh, the evenings will make up for it.
    Rest day yesterday as I did a first aid course. 10 miles (9 at MP) today. Not sunny like Monday but still mild enough for a T-shirt. Felt fairly relaxed.
  • Thanks Cal.
    I am looking forward to the lighter evening runs myself but I really should have another go at some morning runs as well.  I should also think about doing a first aid course - used to do them regularly for work but haven't been on one for a while. 

Yesterday evening - the usual Tuesday group outing.  I hadn't run for 3 days so I felt quite fresh.  Several of us are racing on Saturday so had a good chat about that.

This lunchtime - 8km in 37:04 - last pre-race test which went well.  Warm, sunny and windy.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it lovely and mild out!? 7 miles this evening with some lovely women at the club. I think I'll do a short run tomorrow, swim / cycle on Friday, and then rest Saturday before Sunday's HM
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did 7 this morning too. Nice and relaxed. Legs felt quite loose considering I'd run 10 yesterday and 13 on Monday but there is some residual soreness in the hip flexors.
    I'm off to Dubai tomorrow so won't be running out there, which makes for an interesting taper.
  • Enjoy your holiday Cal.

Good luck for your half on Sunday Nessie.

Gentle 5km this evening in around 29 mins. Just too late for the sunset.  Rest tomorrow. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Hazel and good luck Nessie! I managed to squeeze in a 4 miler this morning. Lovely weather but my legs were knackered. Nothing left in the tank. Which I suppose is how I'm meant to feel going into a taper.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hello, all.  I hope your plans are working out well and that training & events are becoming synchronised.
    A few steps forward in my battle to balance mind and Mammon.  Just written a piece on Fetcheveryone likening mental illness to a train journey. 
    Trying some marking later on and a tiddler of a run too to bring up 30 miles for the week.  Streak = 443 days.
  • Good to hear from you swittle. 

Did my 15km race today with a course PB of 1:08:30, an improvement of 2:20. My aim was to dip below 1:10 so I'm pretty pleased. 111th woman out of 1704 and 18th out of 247 in my category.  First woman - 50:42!

Cool, wet and a bit windy in places but I prefer that to hot and sunny and I got my clothing right with shorts, a thin T-shirt, club vest and thin arm sleeves which I took off part way round.  Got well splattered with mud but it wasn't deep fortunately, quite a few people looked like they had wallowed in it though.  

Good music - alphorns, steel drums, brass band and my favourites - the cow bell shakers on the 1/10 hill between 9.5 and 10km - ok that isn't really music it is just LOUD but I love them...

It took me around 3km to settle down as I didn't warm up sufficiently and was rewarded for that by a nice bout of stitch after 1.5km.  The hill at 9.5km was tough but I was able to return to a good pace afterward.  Nearly accelerated too early for the run in, the last 3 km are slightly downhill but at 1km to go there wasn't much left in the tank.  But once I hit the finishing straight and could see by the clock that a PB was beckoning I even managed a bit of a sprint.

My Tuesday group friend who gave me a lift also got a PB and everyone else from the group finished in good order. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Super PB racing, Hazel - and I love the varied musical accompaniment.  :)

Just a 2.7 mile trip to the coastal park & home for me.  Must learn not to rise to silly comments....
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Haven't checked in for a while and sorry to hear you're battling anxiety swit. I go through very slow arcs of anxiety and depression, which roll around every few years. The heightened edginess of "the tigers are always out of the cages" anxiety, and the suffocating strychnine of depression are such utterly incompatible experiences to undergo simultaneously. Hopefully you have the opportunity to talk it out.
    And another thing which isn't fun is windyness. Too windy. Just under 13miles today and I am knackered. Since my last post I have had an ear infection, replaced a mattress and a kettle, and done some running.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Swittle, carry on being kind to yourself. I wish I knew how to read your thing on Fetch but don't have a profile.. 
    Hazel- fantastic result. Huge well done and well deserved after all your hard work and training.
    JT- nice to "see" you
    Me- I did Richmond Half today. Not a PB but I knew that wasn't going to happen when I woke up with a stinker of a cold yesterday morning.  To be honest, it probably wasn't all that smart to run through it, but I'd put the training in and wanted to give it a go anyway. 1.55 is still respectable and although the wheels very nearly came off c 10 miles when I started having a whitey, ears buzzing, nausea and felt really faint, I did recover and finish the race. It's a great flat course, and well supported, and definitely PB potential. There's another very similar one in Richmond in late April which I'm eyeing up for another shot at a PB...
  • Welcome back JT, I've been missing your posts :)

Shame about your cold messing up your HM Nessie.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

6km jog for me today in 36:30.  Bit stiff from Saturday's efforts - right hip is a bit sore as is my right foot but once I got warmed up a bit they improved a lot.   

In brief - I'm another one with a history of depression in the past culminating in 2011 in several months off work, weeks of out-patient full time therapy and two years of regular counselling because I didn't get help early enough.  Amongst other things I had to learn to take a new perspective on running to be able to enjoy it again.   Actively looking for nice things about each and every run helped.  (even if it was just a big fat snail crossing the path..). 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of it about - so, thanks, all, for your support and experiences.  JT: wind & ear infection seem poor bedfellows.  Hope you're back on it soon.

Nessie, an infection challenged and beaten!  Well raced :)  Many years ago, one of my running gurus asked me to run the Richmond HM with him.  Travelled down, staed over, all prep done.....and I lost him in the crowds after I went for a pee :o Super course, big field, 1:35 or so.