My Last Run

Comments

• 9k - 41 hilly, hard minutes!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I just did some yoga (Vinyasa flow). I held back on the hamstring stretches a bit. I can actually stretch it in the straddle position but certain positions I have to be more careful.
    Sounds like another nice run, swittle.
    Hopefully I'll be running up your way soon (Liverpool marathon). If Mr Hammy behaves, of course.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    A lovely run report swittle.
    Cal, hope the hammie's behaving. My left hammie is the problematic one. I should stretch more often.
    I had a lovely weekend away with running every day, through the beautiful bridlepaths in the Kent / Sussex borders, across fields of friendly cows and LOADS of bluebells around. There was a heated outdoor pool too so we swam every day.  Lots of eating, drinking and relaxing. 
    For this morning's 6 am session we were all feeling the effects of excess chocolate and general indulgence over the long weekend, so we did 4 miles at a chatty pace instead, and back to the speed work next Tuesday. Back to work today :-(
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Left for me, too. I stretch loads as I do yoga, but perhaps I've overstretched it?
    I  had a lot of aches yesterday afternoon but it felt slightly better this morning so I went out for another slow, achey 4 miles today. It was OK during the marathon and the runs that followed it so I've no idea why it's flared up now.
    Your weekend sounds wonderful, Nessie.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glute/ham felt less acute than previously, although it's still there, so I gave it a stress test in the form of a 6 miles progression run (actually, 4 miles progression from MP to HMP, with a 1 mile warm-up and cool-down either side.)
    It didn't feel worse, during or after, so I think I'm OK for the half next weekend. I'll do a HMP parkrun on Saturday and see how that goes.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

I think you've made your mind up, Cal...as long as you finish no worse.

A much more comfortable 4 miles at 7am than yesterday.  I am coming to the conclusion that a ten-hour gap between outings simply isn't enough.  A full 24 hours between yesterday's & today's run makes for more comfortable and less stressful training.  Cool, a light breeze, much dog walking and a stretch of sand hills - just because I could. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah swittle, you know me too well. :D

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Six miles in Epping Forest with the club. Beautiful run with a small group of great women
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    4.5 mile progression run for me in my lunchbreak today. 
  • Hope your hamstring is better Cal.

Sounds like you had a lovely Easter break Nessie.

Thanks for your answer on racing swittle a few days ago. 

This week so far - the usual Tuesday outing. It has turned cold again so had to dig the long tights out and the gloves.  Another new face which is nice as our numbers have been dwindling a bit in recent months due to long term injuries, people moving away etc etc. 

Today 7km short hilly loop rather than a tempo session as I really didnt want to fight against the wind.  Maintained the same sort of effort as I would have done on a tempo run so I hope it was a good alternative though a bit short.

My race calendar is filling up nicely now - first hill race of the season next Friday and I am also signed up for a 10 miler, a 47km mountain race, and a 100km relay race  (20km for me) in the coming months. 

Ah - anyone got any tips for running at around 3:30 in the morning for the relay race? :o Now how did I let myself be talked into doing that?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Go to bed early? Beyond that...no.
    Rest day today. I saw the physio yesterday - as I suspected it's high hamstring tendinopathy, but he didn't tell me to stop running - just gave me some rehab exercises. I'm to avoid hills, though, which could be an issue as Liverpool marathon has hills. But it's still 5 weeks away.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Took a rest day yesterday, although I did some rehab. Easy 4 miles today. My discomfort was a little more noticeable after a day of rest. I suspect this was because not exercising meant more time sat in front of the PC, and high hamstring tendinopathy tends not to like being sat on.
    I'm going to try parkrun tomorrow at HMP to see how that feels. (I will likely still do Richmond, Ness, but tomorrow will determine how fast I do it).
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Putting in some well varied training, Nessie: I loved this phrase - 'a small group of great women'.

A promising race calendar, Hazel.  Early hours running?  Set your watch to 7.30am when you run!  It's awkward adjusting to a much earlier time: set your alarm for 3.30am, get up and have a cuppa.

Ye, Cal, I assume Upper Parliament Street is included.  Steady does it & keep stretching.

Theory on why certain dogs bark at me when I'm running: I watched a dog + owner competition last Monday and it came up that dogs saw yellow and blue best of all.  My regular running jackets are.....  

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hazel- a 3.30 start  :o blimey! Coffee!! A varied and interesting looking race calendar for you though..the 47 km mountain race is sounding pretty hardcore!
    Cal, carry on stretching and listening to your body.  I shall not be on PB form next Sunday, I am just hoping to shave a little off the HM I did a month ago. PBs will have to wait until the autumn when I have hopefully lost some weight and can structure my training in a more focussed way.
    I am going to be an official pacer for the Lee Valley Race for Life half marathon in October. Pacing the 2.15 lot so it will be a relaxed training run for a half which I'll need to line up for late October / early November. 

Swittle- surely you can lose the jacket now it's spring  ;)
    Me- it was a bit under 10 miles this morning on a hilly but rather dull road route. I am getting spoiled with all the beautiful XC running that this time of year brings. Then an averagely paced 1 km swim

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, Nessie - I'm like you - always a bit lighter in the Autumn so I tend to be faster than. But I did set HM PBs on consecutive weekends in Feb when I was nearly 11 stone, so I can't really blame all my performance issues on my fat arse. :lol:

swittle - interesting! I find I attract wasps if I wear yellow - kind of a problem as I have quite a lot of yellow T-shirts. I actually got stung on the wrist at parkrun last summer!

parkrun today and a bit of a stress test. My arse was very achey yesterday so I was a bit nervous about this but it didn't feel too bad during a one mile warm-up jog. I was intending to do the parkrun at HM pace but went a bit quicker (8:43 average). Got a bit of an ache after the first mile but it wasn't terrible. I felt more discomfort from the effort, given I haven't done many fast runs this year. It's funny as I can knock out a few 8:40ish miles during a half without feeling as though I'm exerting myself too much, but I was breathing quite hard today. parkrun doesn't seem to have the same magical effect on my performance that an actual race does, despite being a timed event with other people. I'm not sure why that is.
  • Interesting theories on colours..  No dogs reacted to my blue t-shirt yesterday but I can't remember if I actually met any.  One of my favourite t-shirts is bright yellow - a freebie from a race last year.  Will watch out for wasps - don't like them. I used to panic badly on having one anywhere near me but I got over it a few years ago.  Just as long as I don't have to wear pink.

25km yesterday which went well. Generally tired and some sore spots on the feet but otherwise ok.  Did the route up to the tower again and took a pic or two, will see if I can upload one. Puffed up the 200 + steps like a steam train, frightening an elderly couple halfway up. 

Stuck in a German hotel now (business trip) if I want to do much running the next few days it will have to be early - good practice I guess.

Thinking of German - do you speak any Cal? I read an article on rollercoastering in various German theme parks I could send you if you do.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    A little. I know most of the parks well (the only major one I haven't been to is Hansa Park, and they've just put a new coaster in so it's on my list). Phantasialand and Europa Park are two of the best parks in Europe. It would be nice to see the article.
    Well done on the 25km plus stairs!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    8 at an easy pace today, although my glute was very grumpy and I felt overall tired.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Nice running all. One of the many valuable wisdoms I've passed onto my kids concerns wasps. They're not really so wise.  Including, "never be rude to adults, unless they're the naughty parking people", and "bees are goodies, wasps are baddies".  
    Me- had a fairly stressful weekend up in Shropshire with in-laws and a knackering 300 mile round trip, so no running. Only silver lining was that we ended up staying in a cheap, and fairly crap, hotel, where they had a basic pool, so I had a little swim.
    This morning's 6 am outing was 5 x 1k repeats in surprisingly cold, yet very sunny conditions.  There was much talk of VLM, entering the ballot, and general running stuff with the other two hardcores :-)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I guess wasps must play some part in the ecosystem but I'm buggered if I know what it is, other than to be utter bastards.
    I took two days' rest following my 8 miles on Sunday, which may have been a mistake as I was extra achey today. (Then again, I did do a fair amount of glute work yesterday). I did not enjoy the run today - in addition to the achey glute/ham there was an icy wind. I ended up running mile 3 (of 4) at a faster pace just to get out of it.
  • I'm currently confined to my treadmill as my osteopath has banned me from road running due to weight and injuries.
  • Good to see some familiar names here again, I've been on a self imposed rest period since early March due to a minor injury but I'm slowly getting back in the groove albeit with very small steps so far. Today I managed just under two miles on the treadmill at the gym and although I'm capable of maybe eight or nine miles at the moment I'm taking things very steadily during my recovery and sticking to the treadmill for now. I have another few weeks of convalescence from late May as I'm having a minor operation so I'm just keeping things ticking over at the moment and hope to be back to full training in late July or August. There isn't really much to report from a two mile treadmill run but so long as I get through each run without any repercussions I'm happy!
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back Matt!
    7 mile outing in the forest with the club this evening and it was excellent :-)
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    4 miles very easy this afternoon and now will cycle / swim in the next few days but probably no more runs until Sunday's HM
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey Matt! I'm injured too, but am stubbornly running through it since it seems to get worse with rest.
    Talking of which, I did 6 miles today and the ache wasn't too bad so I probably will run on Sunday. I will just have to make sure I warm up very thoroughly. So Nessie, if you see a woman massaging her left buttock and grimacing, that'll be me. :grimace:
  • Have a good HM Nessie and Cal . 

Cal I will send you the rollercoastering article via PN once I get it scanned.

Good to see you Matt and sounds like a sensible approach.

Back from Germany (Stuttgart) yesterday evening - only managed two runs there due to work and days / evenings out with colleagues and clients.   Nice to see some of the routes in the city parks that I used to run whilst living there.

Monday evening 11km of intervalls: 1km warm up, 6 sets of 1km fast + 0,5km gentle, 1 km cooldown.  It was a very nice sunny but fairly cool evening and the park was busy with lots of other runners, cyclists, assorted pedestrians and I also nearly ran into 1 goose and 1 duck seperately wandering from A to B.  The animals in the zoo which I ran along the edge of had unfortunately already gone to bed. 

Wednesday around 6km jog prior to breakfast (for once!) in a second park near my hotel (guess why I picked that one).  Bit of a contrast as it was cold and rainy.  The flamingoes in the pond didn't seem to mind much. 

First hill race of the season this evening - will be quite cold and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is some snow on the higher ground.  8,4km with +500 m. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    A sight too many injuries reported above :(  Sending best wishes that each one is soon resolved and you're back on the road/trail/path/track/forest floor/mountain....

Recorded 500 miles for the year this week and the Streak stands at 485 days.  I run the numbers: the numbers don't run me!  ;)
  • PompeyMattPompeyMatt ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks everyone! I also ran through an injury all summer last year as I had a once in a lifetime chance to run the Sydney marathon in September, I don't regret it at all but I would've preferred to have rested. Another mile yesterday and I might have a go on the pavements of Portsea in the next few days but I may also just build up a little more and then do some local trails as this should be kinder to the joints etc! What should also help is that despite less running I'm now 17 kilos lighter than I was at Christmas:)
  • 8,4km in 51:57 with +500m yesterday evening in the first of this year's regional hill race series.

A local loop of 4 km climbing around 70m and back down again then up through the Devil's Gorge onto Most Holy Mountain (errm rough translation of local names).  The gorge is lovely to run through but quite difficult to run in places due to the rocky path, the steps and the narrow bridges. I started at the back of the second start block and had very few issues with overcrowding - overtook a few people and was overtaken by about the same number.  8th in my age category out of 17 which is an average placing for me in a hill race.  2 other team mates also took part so lots of chatting to do on the way there and back. I really enjoy the series each year, each race attracts around 400 to 600 participants and you see familiar faces at each one.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey ho. Nessie, hope you got back from the race OK and got the time you wanted.
    I realised, once I'd done three or four miles, that whilst the bum discomfort was manageable, the legs didn't seem to have it in them. Apparently, although I can run halves on consecutive weekends and churn out good times for both, the marathon takes a hell of a lot longer for me to recover from.
    At that point I just decided to use it as a training run and stress test, try to stay below MP if I could and enjoy it as much as possible. So I had a sucky run in terms of time (2:07:14 - 10 minutes slower than my PB) but a successful run in terms of the stress test. I feel a lot better about tackling Liverpool now so, from that perspective, I'm happy I entered.